PDA

View Full Version : Interested in starting LOTR thinking Dwarves

Lord Of The Night
26-07-2007, 02:01
There will be an escalation league(sp?) starting soon in my area and I am thinking of playing as Dwarves and was wondering if they are good or not or at least for some tips to starting them(since I won't be playing anything else) if it matters I think the starting army size will be 250ish

Pertinax
26-07-2007, 07:00
Dwarves are good. It's as simple as that.

Pick up a box of warriors, and follow that up by a captain and banner. Then, you have a good core of your army.

You might want to then supplement it with either some more warriors, or some rangers.

Then you can start thinking about the special stuff, such as the Khazad guard, the Iron guard, or even the ballista.

To play them, keep a tight-ish formation, and try to use the terrain to protect your flank. Bring the enemy onto you, and shoot as much as you can. Then mush him in combat.

Cal585
26-07-2007, 11:40
Dwarves are a fairly good army to start with. Because of their high defence, they can be rather forgiving if you make a mistake, although their lower movement tends to cause a bit of trouble. With the dwarves particularly, throw your archers into combat. I don't have a large army myself, but every dwarf player I've talked to always recommends throwing them in to help out once the two sides become engaged. When shooting, try and take down cavalry, as they'll cause you headaches with your slow movement.

As for what to get, Pertinax has said it all.

Kenyo
30-07-2007, 21:23
I found that dwarves are great!
I also find it's really hard to get a varied army of them!!!!
This is highly irritating but i can forgive it quite easily.

I recently played 750pts vs my friend who used gondor. Apart from my ballista which killed a single warrior (the Shame!!!) they performed exceptionally well. as Pertinax said anchor your flanks with terrain (especially rock terrain, great for rangers) and use durin!!!.

In the game i played i shot king elessars horse from under him and took a charge from a bunch of knights he was leading. So in go the iron guard with a few warriors and wipe them out in 2 turns. Durin duked it out in single combat with aragorn and thanks to his amazing axe and his helm (god bless that save) he slew him with great pride. In a previous game versus woodelves he also nailed Elladan and Ellohir single handedly (one at a time of course)

Kenyo
30-07-2007, 21:25
SOoo. to cut out the ramble Dwarves are highly recommened especially if you can get durin in there.

1 more thing.
An alliance with arnor is essential in higher points games (malbeth the seer being the reason)
So then you take durin and say to the opponent.
Ok try and get through defense 9. If rthey do then you can make a 6+ save, then a 5+ save(Malbeth power) and then you can use fate.
If they get through that you just laugh and say.
"lets see you do that 2 more times!!!"

Dragon Prince of Caledor
31-07-2007, 04:04
All i have to say is that the new" dwarf models are awful. I have a metal model army and with a few conversions they would look awesome. take banners! With no spear support it is vital. (especially if the opponent has a drum! good luck!

Lord Of The Night
31-07-2007, 15:13
thanks for the tips it wont be starting up till september and will start with the core of a box of warriors and captain / banner but i would like to include vault wardens are they worth it generally or do they suck

Pertinax
31-07-2007, 16:12
Are you asking a question?

If you are, and want my opinion of the vault wardens, I would personally not go for them. You are much better off with more basic troopers, rather than the specialized warden teams.

They are good on tables that have small, narrow gaps where things have to go though, but on a more or less open table, they will quickly get stuck and killed.

Adept
31-07-2007, 17:38
Are you asking a question?

If you are, and want my opinion of the vault wardens, I would personally not go for them. You are much better off with more basic troopers, rather than the specialized warden teams.

They are good on tables that have small, narrow gaps where things have to go though, but on a more or less open table, they will quickly get stuck and killed.

Yeah, but the models look dead sexy!

Pertinax
31-07-2007, 18:02
That is true...

Lord Of The Night
31-07-2007, 21:15
thats what i was afraid of but i still might take some

Kenyo
31-07-2007, 21:26
I've really been meaning to get some but unfortunately I find that as Pertinax said that they are pretty bad for games outside of Khazad dum and it can be a real **** of a job to make one lol. So yeah i try to go in for iron guard but i avoid rangers. They are dead useful but their bows are weaker and they are damn expensive. Instead i utilise iron guard who aree just plain cool.

The spear problem is solved with allies as i said, quite useful having 3 attack fight value 4 killing machines that lob axes on the charge...

Cal585
01-08-2007, 05:39
I think Vault Wardens could be useful depending on the layout of terrain. Possibly they could also work well defending key units or objectives?

Pertinax
01-08-2007, 06:38
I've been looking at the dwarf army, and looking at the spear problem. This is how I got around it, in a 700 point army.

(Durin's Folk)
Dwarf King with 2H Axe
Dwarf captain with shield
Dwarf warrior with banner
9 Khazad Guard
24 Warriors with shields
(Grey Company)
3 Rangers of the North with Spears
1 Dunadain with spear
16 Rangers with spears

This brings you more bows that your 33% warriors can have, plus you get spears into the army. And since you are going to be putting your archers behind your shield wall, and playing a tight formation, the case should be a good one...

Kenyo
01-08-2007, 10:18
I prefer arnor/khazad dum coalition.
That way you can take rangers (not a many) Arnor warriors and malbeth the seer. Thiink about it dwarves with a 5+ save... priceless!!!