PDA

View Full Version : orcs vs fast skirmishers tactica.

nurgle_boy
21-08-2005, 19:33
right, after having my ass handed to me in 4 games, against a highly manuverable, fast, skirmishing lizzies army, and against a wood elf army with 2 ranked up units in 1500pts, which are archers, i feel we may need some tactics.

i know you can deal with speedy stuff with wolf riders, but the units just seem to move backward, and flee from charges, and theres only so many wolf riders you can take!

i dont want to have to refuse to play these people, so i need something to help. i find that extra movement spells work, but theyre unpredictable, and you can be outmagiced easily...

so, how can my orcy army deal with them!

ive handled dwarves, SAD, summoner armies, but its the skirmishers that get me done... so heeeeelp!

starlight
21-08-2005, 19:36
Actually, there is no limit to how many Wolves you can take, after all they are Core! :p

samw
21-08-2005, 19:55
I thought foot of gork was the greenskin response to skirmishers? Lots of wolfriders and gobbo chariots is the way to go.

nurgle_boy
21-08-2005, 20:03
i diddnt mean that wlfies are a limited choice, but with too many a list becomes boring, and orcless, and the are all that does anything...

foot of gork? the D6 str6? its ok, but brainbursta works better, although against magic heavy...

Setomidor
22-08-2005, 10:32
Ooh this is a tough one. I donīt have any unique solution but there are a few things that works even against pancy skirmishers who canīt stay in formation.

* Goblin chariots, the 18" range will make them hard to avoid.

* Fanatics. Depends on the terrain naturally but remember that skirmishing units take up alot of room, so they will have a hard time avoiding these swirling maniacs. 2 is often enough for a unit of NG.

* Magic. Foot of gork, brainbursta etc. Gork will inflikt d6 s6 hits on each step which is alot.

* For skinks, units of wolfriders and savage orc boys will make a mess out of their t2 skin. Just watch out for their poison and youīll be allright.

Other then that, just deploy smart and donīt rush in trying to catch them. You wont. Itīs better to stay back and let them come to you, if they donīt, Itīll probably be a a draw anyway :)

Good luck!

//Seto

Alex
22-08-2005, 15:32
Skinks have short range on their blowpipes, if they come close enough you can with some luck land the Fists of Gork spell on them. That spell is disasters for them.

Otherwise as above posters said, chariots and wolf riders. Problem with elven armies is that they cause fear in gobbos, and so are hard to charge with the small fast moving gobbo units.

shadowprince
24-08-2005, 02:06
Get out their and protect you flanks march guys foward and use those chariots to protect you. Remembe rth only way for a skirmish army to win a combat is buy wounds, an orc character should make quik work of this. Somethings risky would be to put a character outside the unit, this way he can see 360, but put close enough that he canlt be singled out. Finally a giant, all his shooting will go at that first allowing you to charge and have him flee, repeat till he gets off the table.

Lady's Champion
24-08-2005, 19:22
I don't worry about tactics, I'm an Orcs and Goblins player

Kayin
24-08-2005, 20:09
Well the biggest advantage orcs can have over alot of skirmishing armies and other fast armies is shooting. Loading up on arrer boys and warmachines will force your opponent to come to you. This will cause you to have a bit of control in the movement phase, not by your own movement but with carefull deployment of your warmachines and arrer boys you will be forcing your opponent to be very carefull with his movement. Just remember, orcs need to follow their same philosophy in shooting as in combat; one orc may not do the job, but 60 will sure as heck get it done. Invest the rest of your points in a few rock hard combat troops and then when your opponent does get close, then you can reform your arrer boys into combat countersharge units, remember they do have choppas so S4 on the charge will really help you out.