PDA

View Full Version : Dude, about the dice.

Leakage
28-07-2007, 08:19
I'm afraid the mech sign is random (which is gonna be pretty confusing) unless they started to make dice differently than all other 6 sided dice.

usually a 5 is opposite a 2 and 4 is opposite 3 and 6 is opposite 1. It has to add to 7.

on the dice in front it is either the number 6 or 1 but on several of the other dice we see the number 6 or 1, hence its not consistent.

I'm very puzzled by this. perhaps someone at gamesday can shed some light on this.

(sorry I had to start a thread about it, but the Apoc Summary is closed :( )

Hellfury
28-07-2007, 08:43
I was just thinking about this, really.

I initially wrote off the dice as an enormous money sink, but you have a point.

So do each die in the set have the ad mech symbol on a random pip not replicated throughout the set? (i.e. one die as the ad mech symbol on a one pip, one die has it on a two pip, etc)

I really really hope someone at games day can shed light on this.

Rlyehable
28-07-2007, 11:13
Yes, I see 1, 3, 5, and 6 on the dice.

So, the adMec symbol would be on 2, 4, or both.

And, yes, 1 and 6 are not on opposite sides.

Odd.

W0lf
28-07-2007, 11:58
wtf.

i wouldnt play against someone with dice that had opposites not adding up to 7..

just feels like cheating. Especially if they are using them and you are not.

Crube
28-07-2007, 12:16
Hmmm, not too sure about the sides not adding up to 7 being that much of an issue, other than it's not the same as evryone else is using.

Surely the point about using dice is it's the probablility of getting a particular number based on everyone using the smae things.

sigur
28-07-2007, 13:20
I'm not sure if I'd play someone who uses dice which don't have opposing sides adding up to 7 each.

Sincity
28-07-2007, 13:34
I'm not sure if I'd play someone who uses dice which don't have opposing sides adding up to 7 each.

Why in the world not ? The tiny amount of weight that the pip holes acount for (as a negetive) would only effect the overall randomness when you got into the thousands (10s of thousands most likely) of rolls. Rounded corners effect a die roll much more.

Sounds like gamer bigotry to me.

Sincity

sukigod
28-07-2007, 18:49

I would, I just wouldn't play a game where you need to add up the die totals. Otherwise the statistics are the same for each die - 1 in 6.

Chaplain Ark
28-07-2007, 20:11
i wouldnt play against someone with dice that had opposites not adding up to 7..

Why not? and how could you tell? Unless you inspected the dice, i really don't think your gonna notice when they are being rolled. and as said before, the odds are still the same. 1 in 6.

Randy
28-07-2007, 20:23
A 6 sided die where all 6 sides are different. 1/6 chance of ge3tting any given outcome. 2/6 chance of getting 1 of 2 things etc.

You could replace the nubmers 1-6 with a,b,c,d,e,f and it would work the same. If 6 and 1 are next to neach other rather then opposite, does it make rolling any given number more likely to come up? Or less? No. It doesn't. The numbers are just symbols, nothing else.

starlight
28-07-2007, 20:51
The concern for me would be more along the lines of:

If they didn't know enough about making dice to do *this* right, what *else* did they get wrong...:eyebrows:

nurgle_boy
28-07-2007, 22:19
i personaly wouldnt, due to the technique of 'barreling' dice. normaly using 'barreling' one rolls the dice so as not to roll a 1, but also cannot roll a 6 (bowling it with the 1-6 side outwards) if the one has changed, it may well be possible for unscrupulous gamers to cut out 1's and 2's for example, leaving only high rolls. normally it is easy to nocite, but a practiced cheater may be able to fix their odd dice rolls whilst going practically unnnoticed.

also, dice have always added up to 7 on alternating sides. 1) it feels wrong to use dice which are otherwise, and 2) 7 is a lucky number, and I am a supersticious person...

starlight
28-07-2007, 22:25
Use a dice cup.:p

insaniak
28-07-2007, 22:28
Yes, I see 1, 3, 5, and 6 on the dice.

So, the adMec symbol would be on 2, 4, or both.

Or it would be on either the one or 6, but only on the two dice that you can see it on in the picture, and the other 4 are just regular dice.

Adra
28-07-2007, 23:12
2) 7 is a lucky number, and I am a supersticious person...

Lol best reason ever. You do know if ur using add7 side dice..so is ur oponent? :D so who gets the luck? :P

This is one of thouse threads i cant care about. Cheating with dice rolls (like dropping or barreling) is the lamest form of cheating ever and thouse guys wont be played against. with that in mind...its therfor unimportant to consider these dice as unfair as all rolls are as random as a normal d6.

starlight
28-07-2007, 23:14
I'll see if I can find a die that I used to have... An actual GW die, came the the 3rd Ed Limited Edition Starter Set. It had an extra pip drilled and painted in the centre of every face...

fwacho
29-07-2007, 05:59
My brother got so bad about fixing his dice rolls while playign risk that he is nwo forced to use a cup or not allowed to play. He also figured out how to deal non-descriptly from the bottom of deck. It doesn't help that he's 6'5" and could beat th elife out of anybody.