PDA

View Full Version : I need the current base sizes for models

Bortus
30-07-2007, 01:20
A friend of mine decided to field some Norse Marauders in a game a week ago. Ok, no big deal, actually I thought it was pretty cool. Well by chance a few days ago I was looking at some Dogs of War stuff concerning Crossbowmen when I discovered that unlike normal 25 mm base sized Marauders the Norse Marauders were on 20 mm bases. I wrote to the Rulezboyz and they said that that was the older version and that the base sizes are now 25mm. If this is so could someone please tell me where I can get these new updated base sizes? The old one was a GW download in PDF format. Thanks guys.

Atrahasis
30-07-2007, 01:44
http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer/base-chart/assets/base-chart.pdf

Unsurprisingly, the Rulezboyz were talking utter tripe.

Bortus
30-07-2007, 04:20
Atrahasis are you saying that they didn't change the base sizes for some for 7th edition? Why would these guys tell me otherwise? I thought that they're there to help? Either way I really appreciate your help bub. Thank you. By the way speaking of those Norse Marauders do you have any idea why they would be on smaller bases than Chaos Marauders and do they have anything to do with Chaos Marauders then?

Gorbad Ironclaw
30-07-2007, 07:55
Because the rulezboyz generally don't know what they are talking about. Seems like a good rule of thumb is to ask them, then go with the opposite reply. Usually closer to the truth(to be fair, I'm sure they do get a lot of stuff correct, but there are so much they don't as well).

And no, nothing at all changed in the DoW list for 7th edition, so norse marauders are still on 20mm bases, just like the rest of the list is.

They would be on 20mm bases because the rest of the army is, and because at the time they were made, marauders were on 20mm bases as well.

And they don't as such have anything to do with Chaos Marauders. Norse warriors are from sort of the same place, but consider them to be the non-chaos worshipping ones, living further south I imagine. I never bought the idea that all norse worshipped chaos.

SilentTempest
30-07-2007, 09:42
I think as a general rule, the best place to find out information about the game is a forum like this one. I don't consider myself a rules-guru, but I know them better than a lot of the redshirts that work in my GW, and though I've never called a rulezboy, I doubt they'd be that much better.

If you come to a forum like this, then you're generally getting answers from:
A) A large number of people, from which the majority answer is almost always correct, or if "correctness" is unclear, you know the way that most people play it
B) people who are involved enough in the hobby to spend time on forums (and thus probably know the rules reasonably well).

Urgat
30-07-2007, 09:53
"glares at pdf provided"
No spider riders, war hydra on chariot base and so on. date: 2003. That pdf is not for 7th edition obviously. Therefore all the comments above = :p

Gorbad Ironclaw
30-07-2007, 10:54
:rolleyes:

It's the only ruling we have at all on base sizes, and unless something later comes along to change it, there is no reason to suspect that it's not valid. Unless of course you believe that nothing printed before 7th ed is valid and then you are back to having a whole lot of unanswered questions.

Urgat
30-07-2007, 11:35
:rolleyes:

It's the only ruling we have at all on base sizes, and unless something later comes along to change it, there is no reason to suspect that it's not valid. Unless of course you believe that nothing printed before 7th ed is valid and then you are back to having a whole lot of unanswered questions.

Then I'll :rolleyes: back at you. If there are things that are different in that pdf than in the current game (the hydra, for example), I can as well assume that other things are different, if it's not too crazy a thought for you.
I you consider my post to be rude, well, my bad, I consider anybody :rolleyes:ing at me to be rude to me in the first place and I'll offer no apologies.

Anyway, back on topic, I said nothing about Norse marauders having either 20 or 25mm bases, I just pointed out that the pdf mentioned dates from 4 years ago, so give me a break will you?

Bortus
30-07-2007, 17:18
Hey I thought I was the only only with a temper out here!!! Ha, ha!!! Urgat you make a great point and that was my idea as well. What I was suspecting was that the GW guys when telling me that there are changes to base sizes, in particular the Norse Marauders, they might have info on perhaps a new Annual coming out which I always thought of as a nother GW ploy to bleed us of our hard earned cash! Now I didn't play Warhammer til 6th edition and don't know to much about previous ones so I don't even know what edition Marauders were created but if they had 20mm and they are the same as curerent Marauders then they need to be on 25mm bases as well which to be honest if these guys are just bad dudes from the north but otherwise humans then they should be on 20mm bases correct?

Crazy Harborc
31-07-2007, 03:39
Until GW changes the old DoW Norse Marauder 20 by 20 base size....it's still 20 by 20mm.

Yes, it's true the chart was first printed in 2003. IF that is a reason it can no longer be used then don't use any armybook printed before 7th Edition came out.....Um, what was that? Oh yeah, GW has stated that until replacement lists and or armybooks come out we should use the old ones. Gee, wouldn't THAT include DoW and RoR too.:D The charts in question ARE for those minies too.

Besides, the CHAOS Marauders are the ones on 25 by 25mm bases.;)

Bortus
31-07-2007, 08:13
I am currently arguing back and firth with GW about this junk and I'm getting awfully tired of it all. They are still telling me that Norse Marauders go on 25mm bases but they are also telling me that the old base size chart that Crazy Harboc and I are talking about is what we need to go by. What's a guy to think? Honestly I'm about to give up and make up a house rule as me and my group go. I'm outta here!

Voltaire
31-07-2007, 14:42
Despite the chart being released in 2003, I haven't seen Marauders releases since, so in that respect the chart stands.

Crazy Harborc
01-08-2007, 04:01
I am currently arguing back and firth with GW about this junk and I'm getting awfully tired of it all. They are still telling me that Norse Marauders go on 25mm bases but they are also telling me that the old base size chart that Crazy Harboc and I are talking about is what we need to go by. What's a guy to think? Honestly I'm about to give up and make up a house rule as me and my group go. I'm outta here!

I had a thought....not meant in a bad way, just as a likely reality. That 2003 chart has likely been with the company longer than most of the rules boys who are answering the questions over the phone.

Bortus
01-08-2007, 05:16
Undoubtedley correct my friend!