PDA

View Full Version : Snotlings in 40K...

Lornak Bloodgreed
30-07-2007, 01:51
Do they exist? Are they just small grots/gretchin? Can I legally use them in a game of 40K? Maybe as a strategem in a game like sewer rats or maybe little safety carpets to get over difficult terrain? Oh, and if not all that, maybe just little guys that I can stick on my warboss's pole, a skull shiner maybe? :)

WallWeasels
30-07-2007, 02:02
as far as I know, snotlings are the first to be born. They cultivate the land so that Squigs and Grots can live there. :p
About using them in game? No idea. :x

Charax
30-07-2007, 02:07
:(

You see, GW? this is what happens when you leave something out of one edition of a codex and don't redo it for a BLOODY DECADE.

Yes, Snotlings are in 40K. Or at least they should be. they were left out of the 3rd ed. Codex as part of the streamlining/suck the fun out of 40K drive the studio were apparently on and because they haven't pulled their heads out of their rears and redone their codex in the meantime (while my army, Chaos, has has three codices while they've been waiting), it's remained that way.

I would use them as Gretchin for now - you only get one wound per base, but it's better than nothing. You can, of course, use them to represent strategems if you wish (sewer rats is actually a really good idea)

As Orks are getting the Shokk Attack Gun back soon, it seems likely that Snotlings may make a reappearence - but don't bet on it.

Master Bait
30-07-2007, 02:21
holy crap, i didn't realise they wrote snotlings out of the game. what a gyp, they were fun

sigur
30-07-2007, 02:30
:(

You see, GW? this is what happens when you leave something out of one edition of a codex and don't redo it for a BLOODY DECADE.

Quoted for absolute and undenyable truth. But do not fear, the decade of shame will be over soon. Orks will get a lot of attention next year and then people will ask about Orks again and sources other than the shameful current "codex" will read, quoted and tought.

Snotlings, as Gretchins, are being trained by Runtherds but not for military uses. They are just way too scared of everything to make usable warriors. Their primary use is to work on fungus farms. The most enthusiastic Snots get special training for being used as ammunition for Shokk Attack Guns, work in the households and minor battlefield roles (ammo runtz, retinues, finding and marking wounded Orks for later attention of the Painboys, banner weavers, ...).

There is a theory that the Snotlings used to be the legendary Brainboys actually but because of being exposed to fungi for too long they regressed to what they are now. That's why there is a special kind of bond between Snotlings and fungus.

holy crap, i didn't realise they wrote snotlings out of the game. what a gyp, they were fun

Well, they didn't "write them out of the game" exactly, they just didn't mention them. That's a thing they did with many things back then but no race suffered so terribly from it as Orks. I wrote a rather long text about Orks for a german GW site some time ago which should serve as an introduction to Orks in general. Link (http://freenet-homepage.de/HexenkuecheBDS/Spaceorks/Dok2.htm) if anyone's interested. Please note that the text is in German and that I have nothing to do with the layout or the choice of pictures on this site.;)

Trench_Raider
30-07-2007, 02:33
Charax-
Well said and spot on. GW has proeven that they have no regard for writing out any troop type in any army without a second thought.

Orks were my first army (one I will probably be repainting soonish...my painting back them was horrible and I want to field the army again without embarrassment), and I have about 15 snotling bases painted up. They have a special place in my heart as they did wonderful things via the shock attack gun in RT. Were did you hear that inspired piece of kit was comign back?

"Trench Raider"

sigur
30-07-2007, 02:37
@trench_raider: I'm pretty sure it was mentioned that if there would only be a FW kit for the shokk attack gun but let's see.

muskrat
30-07-2007, 03:17
not to derail, but GW's still kinda at that "written out of the game" thing. Look at new Chaos. Mein Cultists are all useless, until a new codex (hopefully, as it's unconfirmed) has options for them, which will probably be drastically different from the AL ones now. I don't mean for this degrade into a Chaos discussion, but it's along the same lines- we were encouraged to buy and model cultists, and suddenly they're just...gone.

Snotlings, though, would be a little too much like nurglings. only frailer, if thats possible. In these days of tourny inspired super lists, they'd be less than a speedbump on the way to a beating.

Charax
30-07-2007, 03:27
Muskrat: Rules for Traitor Guard/LatD are going to be in Apocalypse. And Nurglings aren't in the next chaos codex, so yes - they're exactly like Snotlings.

Trench Raider: 7th January 2008. Along with Wierdboys. Rejoice!

sigur: Oh, I don't know, I think Genestealer Cult armies have suffered worse than Orks - not to mention Squats.

Cuda
30-07-2007, 04:47
[QUOTE=Charax;1783539]:(

Yes, Snotlings are in 40K. Or at least they should be. they were left out of the 3rd ed. Codex as part of the streamlining/suck the fun out of 40K drive the studio were apparently on and because they haven't pulled their heads out of their rears and redone their codex in the meantime (while my army, Chaos, has has three codices while they've been waiting), it's remained that way.

Actually the 'Studio' ate all the Mushrooms that the Snotlings used to cultivate.

Cuda...

sigur
30-07-2007, 05:11
sigur: Oh, I don't know, I think Genestealer Cult armies have suffered worse than Orks - not to mention Squats.

Alright, you've got a point.;) But Squats and Genestealer Cult armies (the only thing I found interesting about Tyranids) kind of ceased to exist. They are gone. We all spent hours mourning about that and we all have our little side projects running to revive those beloved armies but in the case of Orks, GW went for a much more perfidious and cruel route: They pretend that Orks are there as they always used to be at the same time they shred the whole race to tears, took away 75% of the bits, threw the leftovers into a warp rift where they got into contact with stuff like "CONSPEIRACY, the C'tan did it!" and "It wouldn't work if Orks wouldn't believe it would" (along with the new, "imperial point of view" narrating style) and we got 3rd edition Orks.

Hey, let's not blame them. They left in anything important (-> Ork Warrior type A, B and C) and just streamlined the race a bit and got rid of stuff far too complicated for us and outright inpractible and unnecessary (like clans, 80% of Ork artillery, the whole culture, Freebooterz, vehicles, equipment, character, SNOTLINGS, social structure, ...) just like they streamlined 40k a year before.

In that way, the designers didn't just tell us "they're gone. No explanation." as in the case of Squats so you could complain righteously. They said "here are your Orks, better than ever. You never liked them the way they were before anyway, did you?". And by pretending that things are alright (somehow), it's no wonder people start asking questions like "are there snotlings in 40k?" or "are Orks able to fabricate gas masks?" (happend a year ago or so).

edit: Alright, I might have gotten a bit emotional on this topic. Again: Let's not forget that 2008 will be heavy on Ork releases and even if some of us aren't happy with the current overall Ork design, we can expect some goodies. I especially look forward to FW releases and funky special rules a-plenty.

Vishok
30-07-2007, 06:09
Man o man, my orks are itchin to be re-released on the unsuspecting populace.

Who wants grotz or snotz in der army anyhow? they ain't propa boyz, and only the strongest an' meanest gitz can run with Big Boss Buzzgrind!

But if i see new plastic grots/snots I'm sure I'll add them. In the past, with the metal figures, it was just not practical to add them in the numbers you needed without extensive conversion, and even then you're working with a small (relatively) number of models.

Thought about using Gnoblars once, as grotz or snotz...but i'd much rather have a plastic boxed set full of 40K style grotz. With shooty bitz and all.

Moriarty
30-07-2007, 07:02
Chap at my local GW uses them as Grots. Cheaper than the official figures, still look Grotty at one to a round base.

Killgore
30-07-2007, 09:09
i think its sick what GW did to 3rd ed Orks

like rewriting the StormBoy troop, no longer are they organsised orks who didnt fit in with ork society but gw turned them into mad loonys!

and writing the lil snotlings out of the dex without a single mention of them was abit rude