PDA

View Full Version : discussion thread for Imperial Armour books!

Billpete002
30-07-2007, 16:07
I have heard from a lot of people all sorts of stories about AI. I myself own 3 of the books (Imperial Armour 1,2,3) and 2 of the updates (Imperial Armour [first book ever released] and Update 2006).

From all of the people I have personally talked to or read threads about there is a huge selection of people who love them and who hate them. I decided a general thread about all Imperial Amour books was needed.

The format should be this:

Book (what book is it)
Opinion (what you think good/bad and give us detail)
Rating (1-10 [ten being best])

Deamon-forge
02-08-2007, 20:28
Iv got all the Imperial Armour books todate inc updates. The best one to me is IA4 as it is a good read and well the imperiam lose...what was a shock to me reading it. just hope FW keep the IA books coming!
IA1-8/10
IA2-7/10
IA3-9/10
IA4-9/10
IA5-9/10

Billpete002
03-08-2007, 12:45
didn't the Imperials loose in IA3 as well? I think the only one they are winning at is IA5 and thats only part 1!!

As far as content and story line do you think they stay consistent with the Warhammer fluff? Also would you like to see more variation in armies or story line? seems like each one (IA 3-5) is Imperials attacking some unknown planet

Also another question: should FW start doing actual campaigns? This would promote their products (at least the books and maps) They could have done a world wide campaign for IA5 which would influence IA6 which in turn would influence the total outcome of the war.

Hena
03-08-2007, 14:17
Umm... IA4 was just Imperiums experiment. Since it wasn't war it's not like Imperium could lose it. One Inquisitor got a short end of a stick, but that was because other kept him from leaving. Planet probably got virusbombed bit later.

Deamon-forge
03-08-2007, 20:51
A few GW stores i go to done the IA3 campaign....

Promethius
05-08-2007, 12:21
I would love to get into the IA books from a purely fluff perspective but they are just too damned expensive. Generally i get my larger books discount from either amazon or one of the discount gaming stores, and forgeworld products are not available at either. A real shame, in my opinion.

Stella Cadente
05-08-2007, 13:07
Book: Imperial armour Volume 1
Opinion Good: Tanks, fluff, rules, brilliant pictures Bad: not enough tanks:p
Rating: easily a 10

Book: Imperial armour Volume 1
Opinion Good: AGAIN Tanks, fluff, rules, brilliant pictures Bad: I find I only really use it for the Mortis
Rating: I'd say 9, marine stuff is just not eye catching or as interesting

Mr Kibbles
07-08-2007, 08:54
I own IA Vol 1

precinctomega
07-08-2007, 09:05
I only have IA1 so far, as my money ran out shortly after I bought it. It's good and I do read and re-read it. The illustrations are great and the lovely feel of the book makes me happy to have it on my shelves, whilst my codexes and suchlike are secreted away upstairs.

That said, it has numerous errors and mistakes. The proof-reading was poor, for a start, and the crew manifest for the Leman Russ seems to forget that there is a hull-mounted weapon that needs manning (schoolboy error). That's just off the top of my head.

R.

Colonel Raijan
07-08-2007, 09:35
They let you use baneblades and such so whats not to like...except the price, the spelling and the fact they gave tau yet more vehicles to kill marines with...

Belisarius
08-08-2007, 00:53
well I have the Taros book and the new Seige of Vraks and i must say I really like these books. The fluff is generally really really good and i like how it reads. The illistrations are great as are the varient army lists they provide. Furthermore a lot of times i have found i enjoy the new scenarios the book provides as well. Altogether I think it is worth the price you pay for them.

Ethan Hunt
01-09-2007, 10:19
A friend has IA1 and 2, and they are like mine, and i rode them.
Cool stuff, i like more the IA1, 'cause it has a lot of tanky stuff, and i like more the IG than the Marines, but both are excellent.
And i own myself IA3 and IA5, great books, specially the 3, but this one was too da** expensive... i had to put 95€ to get it... while IA5 was not that expensive. And i love the Dkok... i think IA6 will rock as well...
I don't know how IA4 is, but for what i saw, it looks quite interesting as well.:)
I like the way the IA books came after IA2, narrative/fluffy+rules and the all, for the same price you have something like a codex and a rulebook... :D

Cripple X
14-09-2007, 15:34
I just finished IA5 and I loved it. Yes, it was insanely expensive, but it has to be without a doubt the best GW product (Forgeworld is a subsidiary of GW) that I have read to date. I'd be tempted to buy IA6 just to see how it all turns out. Hopefully IA6 will have a good bit more DKoK to warrant the purchase.

If there are any of you out there who are on the fence about buying IA5, and you are a big fluff fan, go ahead and make the purchase. Yes its a very significant investment, but at least in my case, it was definately worth it!

Altair
23-09-2007, 22:19
Used to have Imperial Armour 4: Anphellion Project

Good: Very characterful campaign, cheapest of the IA books, awesome artwork and fluff, and of course lots of tryanid and imperial goodies

Bad: Limited coverage of the Cadians and Marines involved, but lots on the D99 Elysians & Tryanids. Included full rules for Elysians (and aircraft) but have to reference IA1 if wanting to use the cyclops.

Eventually sold IA4 off for short on cash and just having one Imperial Armour book on my shelf looked odd....but one day I shall be insane enough to buy them all :evilgrin: