PDA

View Full Version : GW instore music

the_reaper
30-07-2007, 21:35
Eash shop in England is sent the same CD from head office to play instore and they contain several songs, I was really wondering where head office got them from because they have some good songs on some of the CD's they've used in the past.

What could also help is some of the artists used on some of the CD's, i'm talkin 1 or 2 years of CD's.

A very random topic but IMO it was quite good, but did it suit your taste?

Thanks
-reaper

efarrer
30-07-2007, 22:25
THe better question is how many store staff wait for the instant that disc is removed from circulation with sandpaper? Or do they get multiple discs?

Stella Cadente
30-07-2007, 22:45
God I hate instore music, its all rubbish like Scissor sisters, and the Zutons, I wish they would turn it off

Some guy (UK)
30-07-2007, 23:01
Liverpool whenever I go seems to play rock, and its heavier variants? Maybe each store gets several CD's?

Rhamag
30-07-2007, 23:04
I heard that the area managers choose the music. may be wrong though. I remember a couple of years ago it was all LOTR sountrack.

Reaver83
31-07-2007, 00:16
i like the music where i am it's a mixture of indie and rock works quite well, not as heavy as most of he players tastes but then the kids don't mind either

freelancer
31-07-2007, 00:24
At the gw in hornsby ?(here in ausland) the music that they play there is what every the guys have on thier I-pods, every now and again they bring in a cd or 2 to play or people can bring in their own music.

What kinda music do they play in the head office there?

Crazy Harborc
31-07-2007, 00:52
Then there are customers like myself.......A bit older and expect to HEAR answers to questions....instead of canned in store music turned up too loud.:mad: Wargamer grandparents done shop too.;)

Gaius_Baltar
31-07-2007, 02:33
Well in the Montreal GW, the music they play are just burnt CD's that the employees made with whatever songs they wanted, which is mostly the same songs most of the people who hang out there like.

There's one CD that's mostly Weird Al...:chrome:

feeder
31-07-2007, 02:46
The GW here in Victoria used to play nothingbut techno-dance crap. Now they play the radio, I think. I can't imagine anyone listening to Metric on purpose.

Angelwing
31-07-2007, 02:57
Back when I was a redshirt (cue Hovis music), head office sent out cassettes to the stores that had a general mix of stuff that wouldn't offend anyone. Hence it was quite bland except for a few hidden jems. They once sent a tape out that had a track with explicit lyrics. A replacement was sent out quite quickly, but we still played the original now and again on vets night.

cerealkiller195
31-07-2007, 03:16
in the NY area, they would mostly play conan-esque type music. Every now and then mix cd's that wouldn't offend (mostly rock). Though i have heard some techno on occasion, they would screen the CD's of course just to make sure if parents came in they wouldn't throw a fit.

Khorghan
31-07-2007, 03:30
My local store (Toronto, Canada) the store has an ipod which they hook up to speakers

Hellebore
31-07-2007, 03:42
My local has played nothing but rock and metal for the last 9 years or so.

Each manager puts their preference on, and the first ones played Van Halen and Kiss.

The latest one is into much heavier stuff like Arch Enemy.

Hellebore

Alathir
31-07-2007, 03:50
They dont seem to play music at the store I go to (albeit, I'm not there very much at all)

I'd much prefer it if they didn't play music, its a hobby store not a club.

Winimperial
31-07-2007, 04:03
In my store its a variety of things. Ranging from LOTR, Star Wars, and the Rolling Stones, and just recently, I heard this wierd techno music they had going. I think that sort of backround noise it good,as it gives me something to listen to whileIm waiting for my opponent to end his turn.

Jedi152
31-07-2007, 06:06
All the ones round here play classical soundtracks, usually LOTR and Gladiator.

Coasty
31-07-2007, 07:08
My local shop seems to alternate between film soundtracks and death metal...

ozzfan
31-07-2007, 07:31
round my area it tends to be generic, inoffencive rock music, though once I heard a Black Sabbath song, which was nice.

HeraldOfTheFree
31-07-2007, 07:46
At the moment in Altrincham we are listening to the original Transformers soundtrack!

vice
31-07-2007, 08:18
I went to a GW in Melbourne twice. Both times they were playing the same Disturbed album. Not that great, really... at least it wasn't emo crap, 'coz that just noise pollution and converts legions of 16-year-old-girls into zombies...

Shadowseer Crofty
31-07-2007, 09:32
I remember meadowhall store used to play decent rock/metal stuff (I seem to remember it had Ariels by S.O.A.D, Smells like teen spirit, In the shadows by the rasmus and Fortune Faded (appropriate when you fail your Eldar armour rerolls) by red hot chillis, and I think warhammer world had the same CD once too). The old sheffield gaming centre (RIP) had a more random mix, that wasnt so good.

Crube
31-07-2007, 09:40
It used to be that you played whatever cassette (yep, that long ago) Head Office sent you. At least that was how it was meant to be. Generally, each store would bring in a selection of tapes from home, and then quickly change it if the Area manager walked in the door :D

GW Nottingham (before I emigrated to Scotland) used to play a decent mix of Rock/Metal/Indie. You knew that if you didnt like a particular song, then a decent one would be along in a minute or two.

Oh and they didnt play it too loud either...

Light of the Emperor
31-07-2007, 14:07
I remember hearing Queen, the Gladiator soundtrack and Rammstein amongst the music at my local GW.

Thoth62
31-07-2007, 14:18
There's a huge variety at my store. The general consensus is that the staff bring in whatever they want, and whatever is approved by the store manager can be played. Essentially, just everything except the songs/cd's with questionable, or explicit lyrics.

Dixie Flatline
31-07-2007, 20:04
Really, it should just be drum'n'bass playing, because that is what I imagine the music of 40K to be.

shutupSHUTUP!!!
31-07-2007, 20:10
My local store is currently playing. among other things, angels and airwaves, the macross theme tune, metal gear solid and transformers. It really must depend on the tastes of the person choosing the music.