PDA

View Full Version : I am enjoying the crap out of Half Life 2

arxhon
22-08-2005, 19:55
I liked the first 2/3 of Half Life, before it degenerated into jumping puzzle after jumping puzzle.

Half Life 2 is far superior in every way possible. The puzzles make better logical sense and are more consistent with the world. The varying styles of game play break the game up from being a grinding "shoot the crap out of stuff, reload" game. It jumps from being an FPS to a survival horror game to a driving game.

The physics engine is pretty cool too. I really like being able to think "You know, i could do this, i bet it would work" and it does work.

That dune buggy flips over way too easily though, andd it doesn't steer very well. :mad:

Sojourner
22-08-2005, 20:47
The only thing that saved it for me was the superb engine and the storyline. The game itself was just dull dull dull. Boring fiddly formulaic puzzles and 'oh look, there's another monster hiding in a cupboard'. Shouldn't the emphasis of a shooter be on, well, shooting?

Why can't gordon lie prone? why doesn't he have a scope? why does it take a whole clip to kill a combine grunt? Why can't I steal and fly the helicopters, armoured cars, etc?

New Cult King
23-08-2005, 02:24
Yeah, HL2 stole much of my recent life.

Then I played it through again.

Now, KotOR owns my soul.

Sprue Rubbles
23-08-2005, 06:14
I found it to be a bit too linear, but the graphics and atmosphere are fantastic. I haven't touched it for about 4-5 months now though. I gave up after opening that bigass gate in the waterway (sometime after the hydroboat pontoon thing).

Unseeing Eye
23-08-2005, 07:20
Why can't I steal and fly the helicopters, armoured cars, etc?

Because Gordon never learnt how to fly a helicopter. You don't just get in and push a button labelled 'fly.'

C. Langana
23-08-2005, 11:31
I loved everything about Half life two bar one thing. I really found the combat weak. I found myself wishing for something with a little more oomph, even an M16 would have been nice. The dynamics felt a bit off as well, the enemies have too many raw hitpoints if you play on hard.

Anyhow, aside from the combat, (possibly the most salient point to an Fps?) the plot, graphics, physics and so on have simply benchmarked what can be done, and should be expected in a high end computer game.

Falcon
23-08-2005, 15:01
I got tired the 14th time I had to upload a bloody big file througn my internet connection just to play the game.
But yes, prone, stealth, more weapons and other options may have kept me longer (instead of just running anound and blasting away.) More brains, less reflex I guess.) In fact, I switched back to FarCry which I actually enjoyed a lot more..

Not that I want to rain on anyone's parade. HL2 is a great game and I'm glad there are a lot of ppl out there enjoying it.

sanctusmortis
23-08-2005, 17:27
I loved it at first, but then...

The ending sucked. The physics engine had some whacked out moments (anyone ever zap a hanging corpse in Ravenholm?). The weaponry was... uninspired. The good grav gun came too late, and I couldn't mod to get it earlier (which would have been fun- think black headcrabs/Lemarr). Some sections of the game (every vehicle one, the desert...) were utterly dull.

I can't play it again, and I feel cheated.

x-esiv-4c
23-08-2005, 18:48
How does HL 2 start from whats left at the end of HL 1? I mean....you're left in a sticky situation!

C. Langana
24-08-2005, 00:33
x-esiv-4c: (how to do this without spoilers... - don't know how to put them on)
You remember the choice offered by the G-Man? well you are assumed to have accepted to work for him. he then ditches you straight out into the Hl2 world after having kept Gordon in stasis for some time (years) during which many bad things have occurred and then you are just sort of pointed at city 17 and told to go and enjoy the story...

Chuffy
24-08-2005, 09:35
People bitching about the HL2 ending really **** me off. Of course it's going to be a cliff hanger and wont explain much, remember the first game? How can you expect everything thats going on explained to you in just one game without it feeling forced? I hope they keep doing it, means more half life games, which can only be better.

"So, wake up Mr Freeman, wake up and smell the ashes".