PDA

View Full Version : New Tau aircraft?

Brimstone
31-07-2007, 07:21
As a dedicated member of the air caste I'm very interested in this picture posted by globalsmack from Chicago GD.

In the background appears to be a new Tau aircraft and if thats actual size not WIP it's another big'un. :cool:

If I had to speculate it bears a distinct resemblance to a stealth suit/and or drone.

http://www.pbase.com/brimstone/image/83143385.jpg

Slekith
31-07-2007, 08:03
My guess: Airbone drone armed with "burst cannons". I see that cover on the left and I ask myself what can I expect from AI next supplement?

fattdex
31-07-2007, 08:36
That's... odd. it looks like a mashup of 40k suit and drone parts, but the tacked on winglets are very un-tau.

Any idea what the AI book is titled?

EDIT: ok, new book title is Tactica Aeronautica.

Still learning
31-07-2007, 09:00
Hmmmmm Very interesting.. Because they mentioned somthing about a new supplement soonish!

Spacker
31-07-2007, 09:15
Maybe someone just sneaked a conversion into the cabinet, it's on a round base rather than AI one and it wouldn't be the first time FW have put an inhouse conversion in a cabinet (like the little DK demo charge robot some time ago).

fattdex
31-07-2007, 09:18
That's what it reminds me of...

Charax
31-07-2007, 09:23
I hope it's just a conversion, the Tau don't need more ships (and it's not in the same style as the other Tau aircraft, they're almost all flat)

Why do FW like doing Tau stuff so much? they already have the second largest squadron list in the game (third if you count "SM with IN backup") and tons of their output, even before Taros, was Tau. They should probably rename themselves "Earth Caste Outpost" at this rate

Slekith
31-07-2007, 09:25
My eyes are bleeding because of the sustained focusing effort but I think it says: Tactica Aeronautica.

Cal585
31-07-2007, 10:01
More Tau stuff is always a good thing:p

Although I do hope that is only a conversion...

fattdex
31-07-2007, 11:06
As pointed out by Kasrkin on Airspace, those imperial planes are a new design too. It looks like they have no dorsal turret. if thats so, a new medium fighter-bomber?

Count Fenring
31-07-2007, 11:07
Question to Brimstone, or any other Tau nut,

In this game system, how do Tau craft compare stats wise with everyone else?
Fighters in particular, love the look of the Barracuda!

I don't have the book yet, but have been considering getting into the game system.

Another Q, how does the rules system play out?
Any problems?
Severe corrections needed?

Anything similar to BFG?

Regarding that new Tau ship, I also hope it is only a conversion, not Very Tau like...reminds me of Aquila lander sort of.

Thanks folks,

Count Fenring

fattdex
31-07-2007, 11:43
I think we should put it down to a funny biggers conversion. looks like a crisis head under a gun drone, with stealth suit cannons tacked on the side, suit vents at the back and land speeder fins. but i'm not an expert on those bits. If it is indeed a new tau plane: i hate it.

orangesm
31-07-2007, 12:19
Nice to see the cover in the background. I am actually hoping that there is not a new Tau aircraft on the horizon. I think that they have a good compliment of aircraft to choose from, while some other races still lack a basic transport.

Col.Gravis
31-07-2007, 14:10
Gota be a conversion.

As to the Imperial Aircraft, it's definately a Marauder hull is'nt it? But as pointed out no Dorsal Turret. Look under the thing though, the engines of a Marauder dont extend that low do they?

A reasonable explanation for cutting out weight by removing the dorsal turret would be to carry a bigger load - say like some sorta huge bomb? Which would explain that bulge.

Captain_Ardias
31-07-2007, 15:04
Would agree on the big bomb theory, looks that way to me. I just wonder what those two pages that were cut off had on them...

Puffin Magician
31-07-2007, 17:41
...it's definately a Marauder hull isn't it? A reasonable explanation for cutting out weight would be to carry a ...huge bomb?Yeah, that's exactly what it is. A line drawing of that very aircraft is on p234 of Imperial Armour One, supposedly carrying a 10,000kg guided bomb.

Maybe squadrons of these are the Imperial counter to the Harbinger?

Charax
31-07-2007, 18:04
"The enemy have sent a massive bomber to destroy one of our cities! However shall we counter it?"

"We shall bomb it first!"

Col.Gravis
31-07-2007, 18:54
Yeah, that's exactly what it is. A line drawing of that very aircraft is on p234 of Imperial Armour One, supposedly carrying a 10,000kg guided bomb.

Well bugger me so it is lol, never spotted that one before, nice one ;)

Green Grot
01-08-2007, 00:07
Looks like a conversion. I think I mentioned this over at Airspace a while back but when I was at the FW Openday I talked to various people from the FW team and they had ideas for a Drone control aircraft. Not sure if there'll ever be a model of it as i was just an idea that they were considering. I guess the Drones would be launched like Grot Bombs.

helspont
01-08-2007, 14:06
Unfortunately the Tau thing is for 40k, not AI. It's an upgraded drone.

CELS
01-08-2007, 15:15
I love it when people just blurt out statements like that, without bothering to say how (or if) they know that. :D

[/sarcasm]

chaos0xomega
01-08-2007, 21:28
I hope it's just a conversion, the Tau don't need more ships (and it's not in the same style as the other Tau aircraft, they're almost all flat)

Why do FW like doing Tau stuff so much? they already have the second largest squadron list in the game (third if you count "SM with IN backup") and tons of their output, even before Taros, was Tau. They should probably rename themselves "Earth Caste Outpost" at this rate

Yeah, because you know, the fact that their Imperial Guard and Space Marine Catalogs make up over 50% of their stock, maybe even 60% doesn't count for anything at all, right?

And Cels, he does have a point thats a 40mm base from the looks of it, and those burst cannons and pieces are all in 40k scale(either that or the Tau are getting aircraft in AI with gatling heavy railguns...), so it would have to be.

CELS
01-08-2007, 21:50
Yeah, it's certainly possible. But there's really no way of knowing just by looking at the picture, is my point. It's not like it makes a huge amount of sense to slap a 40k Tau model right down in the middle of their Aeronautica display. Anyway, I'm not discounting the possibility, but I would prefer bombastic statements backed up by evidence, rather than just bombastic statements :)

SanguinaryDan
02-08-2007, 01:34
I'm also willing to bet that the FW guys aren't above messing with our heads for the h@\\ of it either.

I do hope they are going to make the "Tallboy" carrying Marauders. Cause I haven't had enough trouble deciding which of the two current versions to order. ;)

Leunam
02-08-2007, 04:15
Aren't some models designed at 3 times the regular scale to help with details before it is then scaled down? Maybe this is a pre-production sort of thing still in the first design phases.

Darnok
02-08-2007, 12:28
When I first saw that picture, I too thought of another AI flyer for Tau. But the model looks strangely out of scale. It would fit so much more in 40K scale. So I think it could be a new heavy gun drone for 40K. Why they put it into the AI showcase is beyond me - so I'm still unsure what it is and for which game.

Garland7g
02-08-2007, 22:03
I was at Chicago G.D. and saw the model in question. I talked to one of the guys from England about this piece. He called it a Remora (sp). It is a "flyer" drone for 40k. Those wings fold over each other on its back for transport. It is "dropped" from a tiger shark in squads. I think that it was 3 or 4 to a group. They have twin linked burst cannons and seekers missles. It was put into that case because there was no other 40k Tau in other cases.

Captain_Ardias
02-08-2007, 22:53
so, as opposed to putting it someplace that it might not 'quite' belong in, they decide to confuse us, great plan :D

Darnok
02-08-2007, 23:09
Well, sounds reasonable. I think we will see "the truth" in one of the next newsletters. Or I'll just ask at the German GD this weekend...

CherryMan
04-08-2007, 02:01
what looks to be, from my own judgement, a mix of drone, flyer and stealthsuite... .. so hopefully we get oure own stealthbomber:D blowing over the heads of oure enemys in the night, and all they can feel is a soft brees:D

Oneofmany
05-08-2007, 18:35
Whell I was at GD gemany today and gess what?Spoke to Will Hayes.

That first pic. is 40K size voor Apocalyps .I got the new pic.s for the AI size with the new tigershark AX22 Drone controler that you will need to :D
and I whill post some Tau aerial mines.

Thanks One:chrome:

Sorry but photobucket is on Maintenance mode

Slekith
05-08-2007, 18:40
Post them JETZ!!!!! :D Bitte Schön!! Tau aerial mines you say?

Oneofmany
05-08-2007, 19:35
The Ai size including the new tigershark AX 22 Drone controler this plane controles and carries the drones and they can operate seperately from each other.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r227/oneofless/AX22.jpg

The new Tigershark AX22 controler has no main armament(no ion or rail gunz,it will have the missiles pods en the burst cannons), a sleeker canopy which is slightly more to the back.
If the controler is taken down, the drones will work at a very low initiative
The drones have network-markerlight, long-barreled+twin-linked BurstCannons,targeting array, stealth generator and two Seeker missiles:D

The manta will get a refit so it can carry 8 drones

I've also got some pictures of tau Aerial mines. you will place a few mines around an AI base
and you will use that base for altitude, not for movement. if planes get in the neighbourhood
they will get attacked.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r227/oneofless/Aerialmines.jpg

The imperials will get some refit for the bombers
(1 I know is reconnaissance plane , if it lives afer 6 rounds you will get Extra points)

FW wands to get the expansion ready for GDUK
there will be more fluf, more planes and more campagnes stuff

orangesm
05-08-2007, 20:06
I want to know how those drones work - will probably make something similar for the Tyranid Air Hive Rules. Thanks for the Update. The drones look much better now compared to more stuff.

HarkonGreywolf
05-08-2007, 20:18
Nice find and good pics!
I'm sure Brimstone will be along in a minute with eager eyes!
And getting some for his Tau Air Cadre no doubt! :D

I think I'd have put the mines on wire stands rather than Flying base stands as they are virtually the same size as the stands, and look Naff like that!

The new Ork Bommas look pretty good all flying formation in the background too!
;)

HG

Darnok
05-08-2007, 20:33
Confirmation from here (I was on the GD as well). Very nice stuff, including the eavy drone (both AI and 40K scale).

I'll post everything I can remember on the AI expansion later this evening. It's quite a lot of cool stuff. :)

Slekith
05-08-2007, 20:52
Awesome!! I hope I have WARP ready when the expansion comes out! :D

BTW TAU aerial mines are too tiny....

HarkonGreywolf
05-08-2007, 21:06
I agree Slekith, but being tiny they should NOT be put on huge flying stands eh?
I even put my Grot Bombs on wire stands as I thought they were too small for the perspex rods!! And the Mines are smaller by the look of them!

Oh, and I'm looking forward to the day I can try W.A.R.P.!! (Looks better with stops in! LOLOL)

HG

Oneofmany
05-08-2007, 21:14
@Slekith

Will this size be better? Lol:p

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r227/oneofless/MineZoom.jpg

seriously I think they are the same size as regular drones would be in AI.

Slekith
05-08-2007, 21:20
Is comming! :D I'm working on it but I'm very busy, we have the blog almost ready and the main app is almost ready. We need to fix some problems on scenario constraints and we have to improve the roster printing feature.

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
05-08-2007, 21:26
check the rumours section.
I updated it with info from Will Hayes about the new 40k drones for the Tau. Spoke to him on GD Germany in Cologne today.
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97227