PDA

View Full Version : Dogs of War, 2K, points left over, which unit would you buy?

narrativium
31-07-2007, 13:15
Characters:
Hireling Wizard Lord, Lvl 4 (aka General), on horseback with dispel scroll
Hireling Wizard, Lvl 2, with dispel scroll
Paymaster with War Banner

Core Units:
The Alcatani Fellowship, includes champion Roderigo, standard bearer and musician, 19 pikemen total, accompanied by Paymaster
The Marksmen of Miragliano, includes champion Damark, standard bearer and musician, 20 crossbowmen total
Vespero's Vendetta, includes champion Vespero, 5 assassins total
Voland's Venators, includes champion Voland, standard bearer and musician, 11 heavy cavalry total, accompanied by Wizard General

Rare Units:
Bronzino's Galloper Guns, includes champion Bronzino and two Guns, takes up two Rare choices

And that adds up to 1670 points, leaving 330 to spend. Here are the four options I'm looking at:

Ricco's Republican Guard, 20 pikemen strong, plus either a Talisman of Protection for each wizard or a third dispel scroll
Leopold's Leopard Company, 20 pikemen strong
Long Drong Slayer's Pirates, 20 dwarf slayers strong, plus one Talisman
Golgfag's Ogres, 5 Ogres strong

So, which would you take? Alternatively, what other changes would you make to the army?

Argmooha
31-07-2007, 14:15
of the four options you have to choose from, I would suggest either taking Leopold's Leopard Company or Ricco's Republican Guard. Largely, it depends on whether psychology will be a large factor in your games. With the Wizard Lord poor leadership (combined with the fact that he will be galevanting off somewhere on a horse), the leopards would make a great anchor when facing undead or the whole canon of fear causers. Alternatively, you could invest in a cheap 230 pt DoW pikeman unit and a unit of xbowmen. Either way, you need more numbers in your army.

This brings me to a couple of suggestions for the list itself:

Characters:

Hireling Wizard Lord, Lvl 4 (aka General), on horseback with dispel scroll
Unless your relying on FSoR or some other combat spell, you shouldnt put your Lvl 4 mage at risk by putting him in the cavalry unit that will be tackling the opponents biggest, baddest units. T 3 and a 6+/5+ save means that when combat is joined a lucky gobbo could cost you a couple hundred points. For that matter, i would suggest having your lord on foot, so that he can have 360' LOS

Hireling Wizard, Lvl 2, with dispel scroll
Good as is, maybe a powerstone if you plan to use fire, shadow, or other 3 PD lores

Paymaster with War Banner
Its been a long time since i played DOW, but im pretty sure the paymaster cannot be given a war banner. Instead, mount the paymaster on a barded steed with an enchanted shield. Because of the new targeting rules, he cant be picked out by shooting in a unit even if mounted, and he has a 1+ save.

Core Units:

The Alcatani Fellowship, includes champion Roderigo, standard bearer and musician, 19 pikemen total, accompanied by Paymaster
No complaints here, although a standard unit of DOW with a normal captain (you do have a free slot) comes out to around the same cost, and wont suffer from WS 2

The Marksmen of Miragliano, includes champion Damark, standard bearer and musician, 20 crossbowmen total
The unit wont be winning many combats, and at 20 models unless your sure you will have a hill every game it may prove unweildly. Hence, you might want to cut down on the size of the unit some, and add in a unit of duelists to protect the units flanks or a 10 xbowmen regiment to supplement your shooting

Vespero's Vendetta, includes champion Vespero, 5 assassins total
good as is

Voland's Venators, includes champion Voland, standard bearer and musician, 11 heavy cavalry total, accompanied by Wizard General
With 11 Knights, your paying an extreme price for that extra rank and possible outnumber. Since all of the options you mentioned for your remaining points consisted of infantry, I would suggest a smaller unit for flanking purposes (6?) to support an infantry line. With the spare points you could get some light cav, a unit of 6 DOW knights, or try to get two of your previously mentioned options into the army

Rare Units:

Bronzino's Galloper Guns, includes champion Bronzino and two Guns, takes up two Rare choices
good as is

god octo
31-07-2007, 15:53
I would persoanlly try to drop some of the more expensive Regiments of renown for cheaper generic Dogs of war. Swapping the Marksman for normal crossbowmen, for example, would save you 130 points.

I would also drop the Venators down to just 6 models and stick the Wizard Lord in the Pikemen.

Dwarf Runelord 45
23-08-2007, 21:27
a paymaster counts as a battle standered so he cant have a warbanner

daGreatMaw
16-09-2007, 02:14
cursed company!!!

gerrymander61
17-09-2007, 12:10
-Knights are too big
-Alcatani Fellowship would be better off replaced with any other unit with pikes basically
-Marksmen too big. Drop it to 10 and then get 10 regular xbow men

I'd suggest getting Al Muktar's Desert Dogs for some speed options

CarlostheCraven
18-09-2007, 03:45
Hi

The first key question - must you have named units?

If not, here are a few rules of thumb to go by
- ranged Regiments of Renown are never worth it. You are paying 50 points for a captain with a crossbow, and unnecessary command upgrades, in a unit incapable of winning many combats. For example - if you do the math on equalivent points of xbowmen VS Marksmen - you get the same number of wounds, without the expensive upgrades (and light armour).

- 20 pike is simply not enough. You probably want to be 7 wide and at least 4 deep. Named units are great - the extra captains make up for the lack of magic items in the list. The Alcatani fellowship, however, is the least useful of the 4 units. The rest are all fantastic.

Golgfag's Ogres are a tremendous waste of points - what a pike based list really needs is one or two small units of 3 ogres with great weapons - either ironguts or normal DOW ogres - to provide counter-punch. A minimum unit of Golgfag's Ogres could get you two units of ogres, IIRC.

If you take wizards - Powerstones are your friend. Powerstones are your friend. Powerstones are your friend.

Given the role of Vespero's Vendetta - distraction, disruption - 2 units of 5 generic dualists with pistols or throwing knives would be more effective.

The Slayer's are great. They are the stable anchor that can protect your flank.

Voland is great and worth taking, but so are units of 6 knights without any upgrades when treated as "tactical missiles". I used to run him an two units of 6 heavy cav.

Standard Cannons are a better investment than the galloper guns - again because of the 67 points mounted captain.

Cheers,
Carlos the Craven