PDA

View Full Version : Pistols - black powder or automatics ??

mad dog
10-04-2005, 21:01
Just how good are pistols ??

A friend of mine took a brace on his DoW general, shot with them in his turn, then stood and shot when I charged him, then claimed two S4 armour piercing attacks witht he pistols in the combat phase.

Trouble is I can't find anything in the rules that says he can't do that.

Does anyone else know better or am I going to have to live with his "gattling" pistols ?

taer
10-04-2005, 21:16
Well, remember, a brace only fires once in the shooting or if they charge you, and you can only shoot with both pistols in combat if you don't fight with regular attacks, which for a handgunner champion isn't a big deal...but for a general, it kinda sucks.

anarchistica
10-04-2005, 21:47
you can only shoot with both pistols in combat if you don't fight with regular attacks, which for a handgunner champion isn't a big deal...but for a general, it kinda sucks.
For as far as i know, all your attacks count as being S4 AP if you fight with a pistol in each hand.

I really wonder what Ogres with a brace of handguns do with them in close combat...it reduces their S?

taer
10-04-2005, 21:53
For as far as i know, all your attacks count as being S4 AP if you fight with a pistol in each hand.

I really wonder what Ogres with a brace of handguns do with them in close combat...it reduces their S?

I'm quite sure it is explained in the Empire book, but as for the ogres...erm, exactly the same as and ogre with an ogre club? They are S4 afterall, and Ogre clubs are armor piercing I think. So yeah, on anything that can actually use the brace of handguns, it would lower their strength. How utterly stupid.

anarchistica
11-04-2005, 00:03
I'm quite sure it is explained in the Empire book,
Actually, it says that in the rulebook, in the close combat weapons section, under Pistol.

but as for the ogres...erm, exactly the same as and ogre with an ogre club? They are S4 afterall, and Ogre clubs are armor piercing I think. So yeah, on anything that can actually use the brace of handguns, it would lower their strength. How utterly stupid.
That's what i meant. If they left it this way, it's beyond hilariously stupid. :D

Festus
11-04-2005, 06:09
Hi

Yes, but this only holds true for the first round of combat. After that those are only additional Handweapons, using the S of the fighter sans Armour Piercing.

Greetings
Festus

Avian
11-04-2005, 06:39
That's what i meant. If they left it this way, it's beyond hilariously stupid. :D
Ogres with no other weapons (i.e. Maneaters, as everyone else willl take some extra weapon) will wield their club in one hand and one handgun in the other, giving them their normal four S5 attacks and one additional S4 AP attack...

mad dog
11-04-2005, 21:45
Well, remember, a brace only fires once in the shooting or if they charge you, and you can only shoot with both pistols in combat if you don't fight with regular attacks, which for a handgunner champion isn't a big deal...but for a general, it kinda sucks.

Agreed - you can shoot once in the shooting phase. You can shoot once as a stand and shoot reaction - can you then use the pistols in the first round of combat aswell. Fighting with a brace of pistols allows all your attacks to be S4 AP in the first round of combat - if you have discharged one as a stand and shoot reaction surely you only get to use one in the combat ??

Can anyone confirm or refute that ??

BTW Ogres with handguns sucks - any self respecting Ogre is gonna want to hit stuff with the biggest object it can find.

BullBuchanan
11-04-2005, 21:51
even if you stand and shoot you still get both attacks in CC. This is another example of where GW substitues realism for simplicity.

warlord hack'a
15-04-2005, 17:19
oh boy we have had a discussion about this in the old days, regarding pistoliers.. I think, you shoot as stand and shoot and then drop the guns and be lucky enough to have drawn your sword before the enemy is upon you. But it is nowhere to be found in the rules so just assume he has a belt rimmed with loaded pistols..