PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Wizard -

Arguleon-veq
31-07-2007, 22:18
I'm keen on the idea of trying to do a combat oriented Wizard Lord for my Empire army. I know, probably not the best idea in terms of competativeness, but I've always loved the idea of Warrior Fire Wizards getting stuck in.

What do you think I should arm him with? I plan on putting him on a Barded Warhorse with a big unit of Inner Circle Knights, but I cant decide between the Armour of Tarnus for a 4+/5+ ward and the Mace of Helstrum or the Speculum and the Mace.

I figure the Speculum is probably the best bet but it would be wasting the Mace a lot of the time, it could also leave him a little vulnerable to just been singled out normally, outside of challenges. Plus I think its a bit of a cop-out/cheat with the Speculum as it's not really the Wizard being a cool warrior then.

Still, any opinions/suggestions on it would be appreciated. Perhaps even a better combat load out for him.

I suppose if I did take the Armour, I could give my Lvl2 Mage the Speculum and have 2 combat wizards.

chivalrous
31-07-2007, 22:32
You could use a magic weapon or you could just try to use an augmentation spell and take a ward save and the armour of tarnus.

Cragspyder
01-08-2007, 01:08
I don't know exactly what the Armour of Tarnus does, but unless it is an exception to the normal rules, his fighty wizard cannot take it because it is magic armour, which wizards cannot select.

TheStrategist
01-08-2007, 01:41
It is an exception. It can be taken by wizards.

Not too keen on the fighty-wizard idea, but in any case, my preferance would go towards the Spectrum wizard.

Just my 2 cents.

empireguard
01-08-2007, 01:42
I don't know exactly what the Armour of Tarnus does, but unless it is an exception to the normal rules, his fighty wizard cannot take it because it is magic armour, which wizards cannot select.

Its light armour that specify says Wizards can take.

Go the armour its great

Khorghan
01-08-2007, 01:49
If you really want a fighty wizard go with Beasts instead of Fire, then swap one of your spells for the bears anger and cast it on himself (4+ im pretty sure) that boosts you stats majorly and if you want you can still paint and model him like a fire wizard.

explorator
01-08-2007, 04:22
Bears Anger and Pha's Illumination only work if the model is on foot. The Bears anger is very nice as it buffs your wizards toughness. You mentioned the Lore of Fire and though you might not roll it up, the Flaming sword may be taken while mounted. The Armor of Tarnus is only good if you also take a barded warhorse. The Mace is risk on a fighty wizard as you will only hit 1/2 the time if you are lucky. The Speculum and the Mace might seem like a good combo, but if you take those then your wizard lord will die rather quickly. The idea of a warrior-wizard is very cool, but I do not know how long his lifespan will be in your average battle. Best of luck though.