PDA

View Full Version : What is your view on the new Rhinox riders for the OK??

FallenScholar
22-08-2005, 21:35
What is your view on the new Rhinox riders for the Ogre Kingdoms? Anyone going to try them? Or use them as a DOW slot?

At 100 points a pop naked; they are a little pricey.

Fallen Scholar

Lavfluris
22-08-2005, 23:18
At 100 points a pop naked; they are a little pricey. They are effectively the Ogre version of a chariot though, so the price does seem justified to me, especially in the case of the terror-causing Bull Rhinox.

starlight
22-08-2005, 23:33
Conversion fodder for my Ladz.

Ganymede
22-08-2005, 23:48
I don't know.

I normally field a pair of great weapon toting, lone maneaters in my army. I was thinking of replacing them both for a lone bull rhinox musician. This guy is a lot more resiliant, with extra toughness, wounds and armor. The only problem is that two maneaters hit practically as hard as the rider does... even more so if the rhinox can't get impact hits. That and the maneaters are och braver, and more flexible because there are two of em.

i haven't made up my mind though... i'll try the rhinox out.

Setomidor
23-08-2005, 06:05
Are they official?

Avian
23-08-2005, 10:41
I've been using mine for a while now and I believe the rules are quite balanced. It's quite powerful, but it does have a couple of glaring weaknesses.

Sanjuro
23-08-2005, 14:16
... mainly their appaling Leadership, am I right?

Ld7 does seem awfully low for a costly unit like that. Wouldn't want to see a unit of two or, god forbid, three run away on a failed panic check. I would have nothing but sympathy for the Ogre player at that stage.

... and then I would cackle maniacally.

Crube
23-08-2005, 14:54
I'm not a huge fan of using DOW in a 'normal' army. Teh main reason I disliked the To4G in WD

Still, in an Ogre army (or all DOW army, then I like them. I reckon the conversions in WD were pretty cool, and I like the Forgeworld model too.

Not having played them (with or against) I cant comment on that, but model/background and fluff wise - cool - no problem

Avian
23-08-2005, 15:31
... mainly their appaling Leadership, am I right?
Yep, plus they have to charge if within range and they fail a Leadership test. As far as hitting power goes, it's not even that impressive (for the points you could have four ogres, giving you 16 S4 attacks), though it presents them on a narrower frontage.

And enemies use the rider's WS of 3 when striking it, so it goes down to high S attacks (eventually).

I quite like mine, it has strengths and it has weaknesses. Mainly I use it between my large Bull units, within range of both my Tyrant and BSB.

I wonder if you can cast Trollguts on it? :evilgrin:

Harkon
23-08-2005, 15:41
But are the rules tornument legal?

Darmort
23-08-2005, 15:51
They featured in a White Dwarf, so yes they are.

(Mengil Manhide's Manflayers are tournament legal, and they've only appeared in a White Dwarf, have they not?)

The models.... *shudders* I wish they could get on and revise the Asur and Druchii instead.
The rules.... Not bad, but since I have no knowledge of Ogre Kingdoms, other than they're unfluffy and have bad models all around (Bulls seem to be the best exception).
Overall, I'd have to playtest them against an Ogre Army to see how 'effective' they are, compaired to the alternative. *shudders*. I'd prefer preveiw playing the Asrai... (Which I am this Saturday! :D)

Avian
23-08-2005, 15:58
But are the rules tornument legal?
After they got a lot of complaints about a statement in the ZP list saying it was balanced but that you should ask your opponent's permission, they have stopped writing comments like this, though from Gav's comment they apparently still mean it.
Basically the logic is that you can't force your casual opponents to do anything and that tournie organizers are free to do as they please.

EDIT: you could not use them in tournie here, but you could use them in the league and campaign (I want some Glory, so I can field mine!)

Mad Doc Grotsnik
24-08-2005, 15:16
On Friday I'll be spending my bonus on 2 Bull Rhinox and a 1 Thunderlord Model from Forgeworld.

I intend to use them for large, scenario based games, and as occasional deviations for my 2 War Hydras. 543 points for a unit which is so killy it hurts....yep, I'll go with that!

Sanjuro
24-08-2005, 18:01
Yep, plus they have to charge if within range and they fail a Leadership test. As far as hitting power goes, it's not even that impressive (for the points you could have four ogres, giving you 16 S4 attacks), though it presents them on a narrower frontage.

The narrow frontage being the key to the whole equation, methinks! I reckon you have got the right idea for using them - right smack in the middle, able to lend their aid to whatever combat that needs to be tipped in the right direction. 4 ogres are not able to do that in the same way a pseudo-chariot like the Rhinox rider can.

Terror does sound like a very nice bonus to me - there are still a few armies out there who are susceptible to Ld checks. I know my DoW would run screaming from it, literally.

Tastyfish
24-08-2005, 19:00
They have ridiculous US as well don't they? Finally a chance to autobreak fear causers like nurgle chosen and cold one riders.

Darmort
24-08-2005, 19:51
They have ridiculous US as well don't they? Finally a chance to autobreak fear causers like nurgle chosen and cold one riders.

Maybe, that's if they manage to charge, or if they have Mark of Slaanesh, and so on.

Although I must say, that looking at them closely (in the White Dwarf), I hate the models, they look less than what I would of expected. Especially from their bulky beasts. The Models are just like Bulls, which are okay (I have a couple in use as Dogs of War Ogres - For now).

Tastyfish
24-08-2005, 19:55
The models in the WD are not the FW ones, but the catapult rhinox. Even the resin rhinox is actually a resin version of the normal one

Eldacar
25-08-2005, 07:23
They featured in a White Dwarf, so yes they are.
That doesn't mean they're official. If you followed that line of reasoning, the Movie Space Marines would be official, the Amazon Priestesses would be official, and so would a number of other things.

They're an "opponent's permission" thing, as far as I know.

As to whether I'll get them or not: hell no. Ogres were IMO a stupid idea in the first place, nor should they have cavalry.