PDA

View Full Version : My, those new Eldar are a surly lot.....

Trench_Raider
01-08-2007, 03:10
Well, I jumped the gun a bit and went out to one of the local stores and played my first 40k game in two years. After reading an ork related thread a couple of nights ago, I decided to dust off my old Ork army and give them a go. As they were my first and most loved 40k army (and one I am proud to say I have not bought a new model for since 1993) I thought it was pretty fitting. I must admit that although those old Kev Adams figures have aged well, my painting from those days has not. ;) I'm really going to have to strip the whole thing down and repaint it to make it look halfway presentable.

I dug out the sad old 3rd ed Ork codex, and whipped up a rather jury-rigged 1500 point army and headed out to take on the world.

Well, my opponent was a kid half my age with a brand spanking new Eldar army. How sad...not an old model in site! :cries:
His list, as close as I can recall, consisted of the following:
Faseer
2x 10 Dire Avengers
5 Wraithguard w' Warlock leader
10 Warp Spiders
1 Viper
1 Wraithlord
3 war walkers
My largely footslogging ork did outnumber him over three to one for what it was worth.

I won't bore you all with the details, but at the end of turn five I had been tabled. (that is to say every model in my army was dead)
It was by far one of the worst beatings I have ever experienced in 40k under any edition. Looking on the bright side, I did manage to wipe out one of the Dire Avenger Squads, reduce the other to half, put a couple of wounds on the warithlord, and one of my nobz did mange to murder his farseer when it foolishly strayed too close.

Ah well. You win some, and you loose some!
I am, however regreting that I sold my sickly exploitive Dark Angel plasma army of doom, which would have made short work of this force. :cries:

I suppose I will have to crack out the Squats or the Slaan next game and really scare and confuse the kids down at the shop!

"Trench Raider"
Who still enjoyed himself....

Hellebore
01-08-2007, 03:16
NO Trench Raider! You aren't allowed to enjoy yourself if you LOSE!!! :mad:

Go back, rewrite your thread and do it properly - you know with the title "Eldar are CheesebrokenOMGbeardtheysuckGWatemyhamsterIhateeld ar" and proceed to explain why your life is ruined because you played a game you lost.

Sheesh, you've been in the hobby long enough to know it's not about FUN. :rolleyes:

:p

Hellebore

Tehkonrad
01-08-2007, 03:21
i disagree hellebore true gamers dont bother with the forums they just go to the kids house and stab him with his wraithlord until he admits that he cheated by beating you

Thoth62
01-08-2007, 03:24
NO Trench Raider! You aren't allowed to enjoy yourself if you LOSE!!! :mad:

Go back, rewrite your thread and do it properly - you know with the title "Eldar are CheesebrokenOMGbeardtheysuckGWatemyhamsterIhateeld ar" and proceed to explain why your life is ruined because you played a game you lost.

Sheesh, you've been in the hobby long enough to know it's not about FUN. :rolleyes:

:p

Hellebore

Quoted for truth!

Good Lord, Hellebore. We need more people like you on these forums.

Alexandr Ulyanov
01-08-2007, 04:42
Well, I jumped the gun a bit and went out to one of the local stores and played my first 40k game in two years. After reading an ork related thread a couple of nights ago, I decided to dust off my old Ork army and give them a go. As they were my first and most loved 40k army (and one I am proud to say I have not bought a new model for since 1993) I thought it was pretty fitting. I must admit that although those old Kev Adams figures have aged well, my painting from those days has not. ;) I'm really going to have to strip the whole thing down and repaint it to make it look halfway presentable.

I dug out the sad old 3rd ed Ork codex, and whipped up a rather jury-rigged 1500 point army and headed out to take on the world.

Well, my opponent was a kid half my age with a brand spanking new Eldar army. How sad...not an old model in site! :cries:
Faseer
2x 10 Dire Avengers
10 Warp Spiders
1 Viper
1 Wraithlord
3 war walkers
My largely footslogging ork did outnumber him over three to one for what it was worth.

I won't bore you all with the details, but at the end of turn five I had been tabled. (that is to say every model in my army was dead)
It was by far one of the worst beatings I have ever experienced in 40k under any edition. Looking on the bright side, I did manage to wipe out one of the Dire Avenger Squads, reduce the other to half, put a couple of wounds on the warithlord, and one of my nobz did mange to murder his farseer when it foolishly strayed too close.

I am, however regreting that I sold my sickly exploitive Dark Angel plasma army of doom, which would have made short work of this force. :cries:

I suppose I will have to crack out the Squats or the Slaan next game and really scare and confuse the kids down at the shop!

"Trench Raider"

You must be the paragon of good sportsmanship. You played what is probably the worst army against the best army in the game and still enjoyed it.

MrPickles
01-08-2007, 04:46

Your Dark Angel plasma army of doom is no longer around I'm afraid.

grizzly ruin
01-08-2007, 04:51
You must be the paragon of good sportsmanship. You played what is probably the worst army against the best army in the game and still enjoyed it.

Nothing like just jumping into the pool headfirst. ;)

Rypher
01-08-2007, 05:03
My my TR. I didn't know you were posting on these forums! : D
My actual list was this:
Farseer - Stones, RoWarding, Guide, Fortune

10 Avengers w/exarch [2 catapults/bladestorm]
10 Avengers w/exarch [diresword/defend]

5 Wraithguard w/Warlock [Conceal]

Vyper - 2 Shuriken Cannons
9 Spiders w/exarch [2 spinners]

3 WarWalkers [4 Scatter lasers, 2 Star cannons]
Wraithlord [B.lance, wraithsword]
Falcon [stones, holo, shuriken cannon, starcannon]

i look forward to our next game perhaps? : D
-Ry [Cam]

WallWeasels
01-08-2007, 05:34
My my marty. I didn't know you were posting on these forums! : D
i look forward to our next game perhaps? : D
-Ry [Cam]
You were obviously cheating, no one beats orkz...ever, <_<

SamaNagol
01-08-2007, 07:15
Needs more Trukks. And Big Shootas. And then some more Trukks.

shabbadoo
01-08-2007, 07:25
That's a pretty meek Eldar list I'm afraid. Its a good solid list to play agaisnt Orks though surely. The latest Eldar list is really good- much better than before.

Orks can still give them panzees a good kickin'. Post your Ork army list and some of the ladz will surely give it the once over.

Panic
01-08-2007, 08:58
That's a pretty meek Eldar list I'm afraid. Its a good solid list to play agaisnt Orks though surely. The latest Eldar list is really good- much better than before.

Orks can still give them panzees a good kickin'. Post your Ork army list and some of the ladz will surely give it the once over.
Agreed.
What did you have in your list?

Higgen
01-08-2007, 09:02
You really do need to scream 'WAAAAAAAGH!' at the top of your voice for the true experience. I give you an 'E' for 'effort'.

fwacho
01-08-2007, 09:13
oddly enoguh my orks have tied or won their last 3 games. (even defeating a demon bomb army.) and giving a mech IG player a very good scare.

Warp Zero
01-08-2007, 09:32

I play Eldar too. But I still use 2nd edition Striking Scorpions! I also once saw a player with a ton of really old edition Chaos figures. Since they were so well painted, the age of the sculpt didn't matter. They still looked awesome on the table!

I salute those that still use old-school figs. They still look fine. And even if the sculpts may not always be as "sharp" as the new ones, their overall look and character make them still cool.

By the way, one day I got into a pick up game with a 12 year kid who, not only had a better painted army than most players in the store, but also kicked my **** with his IG. Great kid, one of the few that proves good players come from all age groups.

jfrazell
01-08-2007, 11:18

Faseer
2x 10 Dire Avengers
10 Warp Spiders
1 Viper
1 Wraithlord
3 war walkers

"Trench Raider"

Thats nothing. Play a mechanized Eldar list and experience the true joys of unkilly goodness. You're playing Orks. The codex, absent KOS, is uncompetitive. That may change in a few months. But not today.

Sleazy
01-08-2007, 15:29
thats the spirit TR, I reckon we would have a great game, playing for a laugh, both losing.

CommisarMolotov
01-08-2007, 15:36

Oooo! You got Mayan Space Frogs? Show me! Show me!

Mojaco
01-08-2007, 15:43
His Wraithguard and warp spiders must've been 2nd edition models. So I suppose those should've made you happy.

Or not, perhaps :D

Rypher
01-08-2007, 19:38
Spiders and Wraithguard were the 2nd ed models I used.
My farseer was a 2nd ed one from the seer council box.

razormasticator
01-08-2007, 19:54
What no Killer Kans????

Puffin Magician
01-08-2007, 20:11
Welcome back to the game, Trenchie. Glad that you at least enjoyed yourself.

Being slaughtered to a man certainly is a testament to both how aged the Ork Codex is and how awesome the Eldar Codex is. Not to mention the Eldar list was rather anti-Orky, which isn't difficult considering Eldar units in general.

I am however regreting that I sold my sickly exploitive Dark Angel plasma army, which would have made short work of this force.I knew there was still a shred of the old Trench Raider left! ;)

jfrazell
01-08-2007, 20:18
Do they have 3rd edition spiders?

And your old DA force wouldn't have been nearly as effective in V4 with the template centering rule.

Trench_Raider
01-08-2007, 21:01
Wow...I have to reply to a few people here....

Rypher:
Yikes!
You gave out my real first name on a forum were more than one or two regulars hate me with a passion! ;) No worries. I have put out enough biographical information at this point that anyone who wanted to find me would.
I hope I did not offend with the "kid" comment. You look to be about 20 or so, and at my age anyone that much younger than me is considered a kid!
Anyway, thanks for the game. It was a fun and you were a pleasure to play against.
Yes, I post here. I have not been on much of late due to my not playing GW games much, but I'm a longtime feature of the site. I posted to these forums back when they were under different management and went by the name "Portent" as well.
I may or may not be out again soon. (work is a pain of late) But I will gladly have a rematch with you. Like I said, next time I'll probably bring out one of the other armies I'm sitting on.

Alexandr Ulyanov-
I'm harldy a paragon of anything, but I do pride myself on being a good sport and (despite my harsh reputation here) pleasant to play against.

Mrpickles-

Your Dark Angel plasma army of doom is no longer around I'm afraid.

Hehe.
Given that I sold them about 18 months ago on Ebay, that is quite literally true. :D
I have not read the new DA codex, but a very similar list to that I used to run with my black painted DA army can still be replicated using the vanilla Marine codex. I'm aware that rules changes have made it less effective, but it would still be an effective and competative list. In any event, extremely unsubtle shooting armies are more my style. Recall that I'm the guy who used to proxy his Squats as IG and routinely field 15 or so each lascannons and plasma guns!

Panic and others who asked about my list-
My list was very much cobbled together from what I had easily on hand. It consited of something like the following:
Warboss with 8 nob retenue. All of whom has big shooters and a 50-50 mix of choppers and power claws
3x 20 figure slugga mobs with three big shootas and nob with power claw
1 mob as above, but with rocket launchas
20 gretchin and slaver
3 warbuggys/tracks 1 with scortcha and two with custom mega blastas
1 old ork tinboy model standing in as a killer kan
LIke I said, not the best designed list and very much limited by what I could dig out. Rest assured I will be repairing and repainting alot more of my force including my drednaughts, stormboyz, battlewagon, and artillery.

Commisar Molotov-
Yes I do.
Including the handful of fantasy Slann conversions I made for the army I have over 100 castings in the force. Given that space slann models run 15-25$ for a single example on Ebay, it's probably one of the most valuable (and unique) 40k armies out there.
I posted some pictures of it back on Portent. I'll have to shoot some more and post them.

Mojaco-

His Wraithguard and warp spiders must've been 2nd edition models. So I suppose those should've made you happy.

Hehehe.
Yes, my bad. I forgot all about those. I was looking at things like his aspects and wraithlord. I was probably trying to forget the warp spiders due to awful flashbacks of what they did to me on a regular basis back in 2nd edition. Man, they were REALLY broken back then.

Puffin Magician-

I knew there was still a shred of the old Trench Raider left!
Hehehe, what ever do you mean by that? ;-)

In closing, despite my horrific loss it was an enjoyable way to get back into the game. It's not the worst defeat I have ever suffered in 40k (I had a regular opponent who used Zoats back in Rogue Traider...enough said!) and it's certainly not the worst defeat that I have ever been handed in a tabletop wargame. That dubious honor goes to my DBM New Kingdom Egyptian army that was defeated in their first game without killing a single enemy stand in return. They got sold on Ebay the following week! :p

So what does everything think? Slann, Squats, or my Space Wolves next time?

"Trench Raider"

jfrazell
01-08-2007, 21:31
Squats. Marines are a dime a dozen, but no one expects the Squat Inquisition!

Are you running them under IG, marine, or LATD rules?

Mad Doc Grotsnik
01-08-2007, 21:53
I reckon it might more being rusty than owt else...

Rypher
01-08-2007, 22:24
Your privacy has been protected now TR : D
And no, I take no offense to the "kid" comment.

Trench_Raider
01-08-2007, 23:07
jfrazell-

Are you running them under IG, marine, or LATD rules?

In the past, when I have not run them using my own unofficial Squat codex, I have usually proxied them as IG. I've never been completley satisfied with this option. I ran them a couple of times using the Marine rules too. This too was not completely satisfactory, but that will probably be the route I go with in the future.

Mad Doc-

I reckon it might more being rusty than owt else...

That is a strong possibility too.
I found myself stumbling over the rules a couple of times and pulling a couple of tactical boners I never would have of had I been at the top of my game. I'm no expert by any means, but I'm better than that.

Rypher-

Your privacy has been protected now TR : D
And no, I take no offense to the "kid" comment.

Hehehe..I had to ask. Some people really take that sort of thing personally.
I also seem to recall an old cliche' about closing the door of the barn after the horse has escaped! :p
No worries.

"Trench Raider"
Going back to painting up a few odds and ends now....

Bretonnian Lord
01-08-2007, 23:32
Wow... that's interesting. Both of you frequent these forums but neither knew it until now. :D

*Wonders if any of his friends post on Warseer*

Trench_Raider
01-08-2007, 23:39
Eh...the gaming community is a small world all things considered.
This happened to me once before back in the old Portent days when I live in another town some hour and a half drive from here.

"Trench Raider"

VanDoo
02-08-2007, 05:27
Speaking of the Eldar, did they fix the damned Wraithlord in the new book?

tuebor
02-08-2007, 05:44
Define "fixed". It's not the no-brainer choice it was before, if that's what you mean. I've heard some people complain about Wraithsight, and they compete with the Falcon for HS slots.

Rypher
02-08-2007, 05:57
Wraithlord: Wraithsight [able to be avoided thanks to farseer/warlock nearby], not AS killy in rounds of CC, costs more points.
Able to now take two weapons or make them twin linked in addition to having two flamers/two catapults/one flamer and one catapult.

VanDoo
02-08-2007, 16:40
Got it. The new model is ace, I have to say.

RevenantX
02-08-2007, 20:43
Well, now that there aren't any garbage units in the Eldar book, you can really put down a balanced force without having to rely on those old 3 Wraithlord, 3 D.Reaper Squad cheese armies...I remember those dark days and the new falcon complaints pale in comparison.