PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elf...PICS! LA GD 2005

wyrmling_x
10-04-2005, 22:02
Caught this one on The Pyramid Vault (http://invisionfree.com/forums/Thee_Forsaken_One/index.php?showtopic=9012&st=0&#last):

Pic 1 (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/dhchang05/P1010006.jpg)
Pic 2 (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/dhchang05/P1010004.jpg)
Pic 3 (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/dhchang05/P1010002.jpg)

:D :D :D

Kul
10-04-2005, 22:06
Darn, you were just faster then me... :(
Pretty awesome pictures anyway..

Bit more greeney, and the're perfect :D

taer
10-04-2005, 22:06
Well, thank you. All I can say is....I'm not terribly pleased. I've been waiting how long for these, and this is what I get?

Kul
10-04-2005, 22:09
Don't blame wyrmling for that....
be happy you got pics ;)

watcher
10-04-2005, 22:09
mmm, i like, the braids and the half helms are annoying though

taer
10-04-2005, 22:12
Don't blame wyrmling for that....
be happy you got pics ;)

I'm not blaming him in the least! Where did that come from?

But I still don't like the new archers. The silhouette was sexier ;)

wyrmling_x
10-04-2005, 22:12
I have to agree with taer...I like the minis, but I would've liked something less "wrestler-goth" in style. Ah, well - I'd buy them. :cool:

Inquisitor Engel
10-04-2005, 22:13
Okay, I've seen the rest of the range, and these are the tip of the iceberg. Like so much from GW nowadays, they suffer from a really poor paint palette. They also don't look like they've been painted by the Eavy Metal team.

My recommendation - Wait for the official GW Shots. You'll be pleased, I promise.

They look infinitely better in person.

Fen
10-04-2005, 22:20
Still,not bad

boogle
10-04-2005, 22:42
meh is all i'll say, they had better look better from the official GW shots or people are going to whinging from now to nevermore if they aren't

portentjunkie
10-04-2005, 22:58
meh is all i'll say, they had better look better from the official GW shots or people are going to whinging from now to nevermore if they aren't

I was at Games Day, and had a chance to get a really good look at the minis, as well as seeing more of them in slides during a presentation, and they look much better in person than in these pictures.

geto
10-04-2005, 23:01
Thank you SO much, ive been waiting for some pics for a while. The clothes kinda give the impression of thick leather. Mabey archers will get light armour. The half face mask would be cool if painted right. I think GW was trying to bring across something to represent the scare factor wood elves use. (where these the only wood elf minis on display?)

ghost21
10-04-2005, 23:05
i think there the plastic figures

Malachi
11-04-2005, 04:17
Okay, I've seen the rest of the range, and these are the tip of the iceberg. Like so much from GW nowadays, they suffer from a really poor paint palette. They also don't look like they've been painted by the Eavy Metal team.

My recommendation - Wait for the official GW Shots. You'll be pleased, I promise.

They look infinitely better in person.

Was thinking the exact same thing, thanks Engel, I'll trust your judgement ;)

God, these pics (despite their dubious quality) are so damn exciting, I can't believe WE are finally coming. Woot!

Inquisitor Engel
11-04-2005, 04:26
i think there the plastic figures
These are indeed the plastics.

Cypher
11-04-2005, 05:08
I like them: they've got a really alien feel to them. Much better than the old robin hood style of the previous range (not that the old stuff was bad, but I like these a lot).

Kroq
11-04-2005, 05:22
Someone posted these at the official WH forums. Kinda blurry but better than nothing.

www.mopreme.com/we1.jpg

www.mopreme.com/we2.jpg

www.mopreme.com/we3.jpg

taer
11-04-2005, 05:30
Oooooh, they do look better painted in decent colors

Hiox
11-04-2005, 05:35
Well, they look alright. Can't feel too excited about them though. I think I'll be sticking with Old Glory.

Malachi
11-04-2005, 05:36
Thanks Kroq, those are better than nothing, and answer a few of my questions from the other WE thread. The models do look better in green, though still not as good as I'd hoped... let's hope it's because of the picture quality.

Am I the only one interested by the lack of the word 'Archers'? It's either 'Glade Guard' or 'Scouts'. Now, this could be that Glade Guard can now be armed with either spears or bows, getting rid of the Archer entry, which makes sense, and is good because it'll mean that the minimum size of archer units is increased, but also means they'll probably have access to light armour (though I don't know why you'd bother). On the other hand, it could mean that we no longer have archers, just scouts and waywatchers, this could be part of the attempt to make us more like a real army, and less like the skirmishing force that people hated... I don't really have a problem with it. It is worth mentioning however, that it was rumoured that our scouts weren't going to be a seperate unit, just upgraded archers, so who knows what's going on? Mmm, the fun of speculation.

m1s1n
11-04-2005, 05:45
I'm actually pretty excited. I did like a lot of the models from the older set, but I found them to be lacking in dynamic poses. Obviously with the new set we have a changing in style which has led to more interesting models.

I find the half-helms to be an interesting piece, but a little unbelievable. Are they held on by forest glue? And if so where can I get this glue? I do like that they look a lot different from the other elven armies, so hopefully we will be getting some great looking models out of this.

sulla
11-04-2005, 05:46
Damn those are nice! Lots of detail on the heads, nice patchwork clothing - green/brown/grey patches for makeshift camoflage methinks. Hyoooooge longbows and an arrogant elven face - Did Hedstrom sculpt these? He always captures Elven arrogance so well. The half helms will be great for painting celtic of maori patterns on (much easier than working on the ruffles of a face.

Those models have huge potential. Shame the paintwork. Looks like about the third coat. Maybe it's just the thick highlights...

Kayin
11-04-2005, 06:05
This just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Having waited so long for these models to finally see something. I do hope that the basic archers are removed for core scouts so that we can play a better skirmished fast moving army with a few supporting blocks of glade guard, in plastic form, no more $110 cdn units. I can't wait to see more.

Avian
11-04-2005, 06:11
This just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Having waited so long for these models to finally see something. I do hope that the basic archers are removed for core scouts
Judging by the slides (http://www.mopreme.com/we2.jpg) there are indeed ranked up archers. Indeed, it doesn't seem to be any pictures of plastic spearmen at all...

redemptionist15
11-04-2005, 07:42
GW haven't really gotten me into new army syndrome before, but these look great, i think i am sold on a Wood Elf army if the rest of the range is good!

DrCamf
11-04-2005, 08:38
Personally think that they look promising, and certainly an improvement over the current plastic archers.

JerekKruger
11-04-2005, 09:32
Well I think they don't look bad in green, I suppose I aqm put off by some of the heads I've seen but it's likely there will be a lot of heads so I can always choose to ignore some. Also there are plenty of HE and DE heads I could use (well maybe not DE).

I also thing it seems that glade guard are no longer spearmen and are basically replacing archers, I guess this is one way of making more people use glade guard.

On the whole I am happy and still intend to collect a WE army, I can always use older models if I don't like the new ones.

Tom

Scanno
11-04-2005, 10:45
I think the glade guard can be cc orientated. If you look at the elf with the white hair on the slide, it appears he is armed with a (rather nice) sword, and a shield.

risK
11-04-2005, 10:47
Judging from the slides, the box contains GladeGuard (halfmasks) with bows (maybe spears, even shields as well) and by simply changing the head with a hooded one, you'll get scouts. And that champ seems to even have a non masked head.

So to all you halfmasks haters, use the hooded heads and make the difference in GladeGuard and Scouts in paint schemes...

mangustheix
11-04-2005, 11:51
they look ok, I look forward to seeing some good quality pics though. I was under the impression that the archers would be like the beast herds, ie skirmish formation. They have the -1 to hit at long range, but no -1 for moving, so that would support the skirmish formation.

Odin
11-04-2005, 13:07
Difficult to tell whether I like them or not. I think I do. Seems like Glade Guard will include the archers. Whether they will still have an option for spears or not remains to be seen. I think there could be an argument for not having spears (after all, the other two elven armies also have spearelves as their core infantry unit), but I think spears suit Welvises more than any other race of elves.

Can't see anything much on the Waywatchers slide - they've obviously got the camoflage right. ;)

Anyway, looks like I will have to wait a bit longer before I decide whether to go for a Wood Elf army or not.

Delicious Soy
11-04-2005, 13:40
Those first ones did have a bad colour scheme, though I am a little perplexed by the half mask, I see it as a superfulous and unneccessary addition to the model. Still the hooded ones certainly looked good.

Dranthar
11-04-2005, 13:44
Despite the 'flat' paint job, I quite like the models. The cloaks they have are a really nice touch, and makes them look alot more dynamic.

Depending on how the models are assembled, I may just end up using them in my Dark Elf army for 'mountain corsairs' or something. Hmm. :D

risK
11-04-2005, 15:52
Just saw these somewhere:
http://svg02.hgkz.ch/WE/we1.jpg
http://svg02.hgkz.ch/WE/we2.jpg
http://svg02.hgkz.ch/WE/we3.jpg
http://svg02.hgkz.ch/WE/we4.jpg
http://svg02.hgkz.ch/WE/woodelfplastic.jpg

Jedi152
11-04-2005, 16:17
Excellent pics.

One thing concerns me though is the position of the champion. i HATE champions of archer units waving swords about. it just looks awful.

Compyraptor
11-04-2005, 16:27
I really like those new archers. Their brown clothes with all that stichting visible makes them look kinda savage like celts or something. I'm considering using these to convert into Chaos Marauders. Some primitive looking clothes wouldn't go amiss up in the Northern Wastes.

EffCee
11-04-2005, 16:55
And so it begins...the first trickle of a full bladder leading to a satisfying gush. I must say I'm impressed with the style if not the paint scheme. Then again these days I am rarely impressed by a GW paint scheme. These minis look more elven than the old wood elves and tie in nicely with the other two elf armies.
Fanny gives 'em two thumbs up! :) :)

Angelus1
11-04-2005, 17:38
even though I don't really like the braid, it's mentioned that there probably will be many heads to choose from. so no problem there......!

and if these are "just" the core units, I wonder what the characters will look like.

Galonthar
11-04-2005, 18:33
o..k.....
it must be me,...
but what HAS GW done to those poor WE faces?!?!??! :eek:

they`ve maimed those poor elves!!!!!
lets hope they supply some non-masked faces (preferrably with cap and BIG cape...:))

the clothes are ok (allthough some do seem a little to heavy for light, nearly skirmishing units....), but I can`t really make my mind up about the cape,... that was after all the thing I loved with the last ed. WE units

if this is all GW has managed to produce after all the time I (and you lot out there) have spent waiting,... I`m quite dissapointed...
I guess I just have to w8 and see,.. and hope the rest of the army is ok... :(

hmm... suppose I`m mad,
Llan

risK
11-04-2005, 19:19
I was just messing around in PS and thought, that I share the outcome, even if it's not really rumours...
So here are just some alternative schemes. So people will stop argueing by the colors, if they like the new models or not.
http://svg02.hgkz.ch/WE/WoodElfColors.jpg

lredman
11-04-2005, 19:53
Nice one risk. They look sweet with a slightly greener colour scheme. Can't wait to see the full range

Inquisitor Engel
11-04-2005, 20:48
I did a little more photoshopping with my favourite colour scheme to remove the skin. Elves with gnobbly knees look silly. :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/britboyinTx/elf.jpg

Definitely prefer the right hand side of risK's pics. Well done.

boogle
11-04-2005, 21:45
looks better, but the face still looks poorly painted

risK
11-04-2005, 22:10
Good idea, =I=Engel... and suddenly the barbaric feels goes away... hmmm the longer I look at em, the more I love 'em. They seem to really have a lot of potential.

Kroq
12-04-2005, 02:58
Those different color schemes sure helped alot. Thanks !

I reeeeeeally hope they have enough heads in the box so you don't HAVE to use a single half face mask head if you don't want to.

I hope the glade riders keep a similar helmet to the 5th ed. ones. I always thought they were about the best thing in the whole WH line.

If they made the whole new WE line just variatins of that 5th waywatcher with the face cover and leaf cloak I'd would have been happy

Quercia
12-04-2005, 09:59
Actually, GW has Glade Guard in the sneak peeks now on their News Section on their site.

Here a pic:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/sneakpeeks/warhammer/image1.jpg

-Quercia

Scanno
12-04-2005, 12:18
I like the half masks. Call me crazy (don't really, that would be mean)., but I think they add a bit of individuality to what would otherwise be an army of high elves dressing up as Robin Hood for holloween. All in all, the first shots look good, and I think I could be looking at my next big WHFB project.

Intrepid Adventurer
12-04-2005, 12:34
Crikey they look good on that sneak-peak pic. The first thing that popped into my head was: "Lord of the Rings!!" The champion looks very Haldir-ish, if you ask me. Cool, cool, cool. Gotta show this to the girlfriend, she'll love them...

Kul
12-04-2005, 12:37
Hmm, really awsome models..

On one of the pics it said the new plasticks will be GG, GRider and dryads..
does that mean that the chance of plastick wardancers is equal 0?

boogle
12-04-2005, 12:52
it would seem so wouldn't it

Odin
12-04-2005, 13:25
I hope the glade riders keep a similar helmet to the 5th ed. ones. I always thought they were about the best thing in the whole WH line.

Eurgh! Those helmets were awful, and Glade Riders were some of the worst models in the previous range IMHO.

Just goes to show you can't please everyone I guess.

Bubble Ghost
12-04-2005, 13:30
"wrestler-goth"

I think you've just invented a genre there. *yoink* I am so stealing that.

I like the pictures. Pretty much how I would have imagined them, except perhaps still a shade more Men In Tights than I was hoping for (an excessively green colour scheme just makes that worse, incidentally). On balance I think they look cool - and I like the autumnal paint scheme, which is one I used on some of my old Wood Elves (sue me). And the half-masks rock like Lemmy from Motorhead sitting on a rocking horse, drinking Rolling Rock and throwing rocks at The Rock.

6th and Final Champion
12-04-2005, 13:31
Good god those are awsome. I like that slightly native american feel to them, Im definately gonna start playing them when they're released(I gotta represent whats left of us Indians). And besides that my birthday's in August.

Kul
12-04-2005, 15:22
it would seem so wouldn't it

*sigh*

darn..
I'd sooo love that :(

Avian
12-04-2005, 15:46
I sorta like them, though the hands could have been even smaller for my taste... Maybe I'll be able to trade some to use as Shadow warriors in my dormant High Elf army.

Rohirrim
12-04-2005, 18:38
Crikey they look good on that sneak-peak pic. The first thing that popped into my head was: "Lord of the Rings!!" The champion looks very Haldir-ish, if you ask me. Cool, cool, cool. Gotta show this to the girlfriend, she'll love them...

That will teach those silly LotR players for saying Warhammer has influenced them too much.

oatish
14-04-2005, 07:50
Curses! If I keep seeing Wood Elf miniatures, there is no way I wont be able to play them!

Jedi152
14-04-2005, 08:08
I like them, but i'm worried that everyone and their dog will be collecting WE come august ... but i guess i thought that about OK too.

And i think i will be using an autumnal scheme, i like it. And i will be painting the swords as wooden ones (bokken style) as metal ones don't seem to fit with the fluff or the mini's all that well.

And i'm pretty sure than an elf armed with a piece of wood would be able to do just as much damage as a person with a hand weapon...

Drabant
14-04-2005, 08:42
Well, clubs are hand weapons, aren't they? And more than one Samurai armed with a bokken have been successfull against those with "proper" swords.

I like your idea, though I personally would go with metal swords.

Stouty
14-04-2005, 19:37
I would do it if i could just paint damned grain, otherwise it will just look like brown.
Maybe bronze will suit me more

Tulkas
15-04-2005, 17:05
Photobucket seems to be down, hence I can't see a darn thing of these new Wood Elves. Does anyone have them on disk and can they attach them to their posts please? Thanks.

Sgt John Keel
17-04-2005, 00:34
I have faith in GW again. They actually can produce plastic elves with normal shoe sizes. Now I'll just hope for just as good High Elves.
I'm very tempted to buy these instead of the HE Archers and paint them in my army's colours. They can't look too out of place in shadow grey and white.

/Adrian

EagLes610
17-04-2005, 00:43
Ew...they look almost...non GW like. Whoa...

yarrickson
17-04-2005, 01:09
I had some reservations at first... but those are some darn pretty elves. definitely on my christmas shopping list. :)

Nazguire
17-04-2005, 04:15
Excellent pics.

One thing concerns me though is the position of the champion. i HATE champions of archer units waving swords about. it just looks awful.

Agreed.

It defies the point of a cc oriented unit. Why wave a sword, maybe a...dunno...bow would be more suitable.

He may be a sort of homage to the other similar old edition archer champion that waved his sword in the air.

Trunks
17-04-2005, 04:44
The sword is just to make the champion stand out when your opponent looks at a regiment. When playing with an unpainted regiment (GASP! People don't get around to painting their models right away!), it can be pretty damn difficult in a regiment with no other command to pick out that one guy who is holding his bow slightly turned at a different angle :) And if the regiment is painted, that champion will need to be painted somewhat differently, which kind of makes him stand out a bit more than he should unless done in an appropriate manner.

That said . . . when I get my wood elves my champion will have a bow :)

Sauron90
17-04-2005, 09:13
they are pretty nice

Storm21
17-04-2005, 09:46
Well, thank you. All I can say is....I'm not terribly pleased. I've been waiting how long for these, and this is what I get?

I think that if you are unhappy with the models you should try to justify it! I think the models are great, simply because of how detailed they are, they have interesting poses and each posseses (spelling?) a lot of character... :rolleyes: If one person starts say "Errrr, its orrid" then most people follow suit, i.e Ogre Kingdoms, sorry to rant on people

Sir Charles
17-04-2005, 17:26
The sword is just to make the champion stand out when your opponent looks at a regiment. When playing with an unpainted regiment (GASP! People don't get around to painting their models right away!), it can be pretty damn difficult in a regiment with no other command to pick out that one guy who is holding his bow slightly turned at a different angle :) And if the regiment is painted, that champion will need to be painted somewhat differently, which kind of makes him stand out a bit more than he should unless done in an appropriate manner.

That said . . . when I get my wood elves my champion will have a bow :)
Thats a good practicle explination, personaly for an in game explination I always just say he uses the sword to point to were he wants the unit to shoot.