PDA

View Full Version : Bad Luck! Tell your story!

Deltrax
01-08-2007, 22:12
My last match was with a new Van Saar gang, against a old acquaintance. I knew his tactical skill... was... to put it nicely, relying on luck alone. My heavy rolled a 3 (2xd3) for the sustained shooting with the heavy stubber, and the first shot I had to take an ammo roll, and rolled a 1 for ammo and another 1, S4 exploding weapon, another 6 and 6 taking him nicely out of action. Oh well.. I still had my leader.. So confident I could still take out guys to win on failed bottle tests, with BS4 and a plasmagun and a good vantage point, my leader shot his leader 4 times, who was taunting me .. in the open.. I rolled up 2's 4 times in a row on a 3+ to hit. This was bothering me.. So when his leader went into full cover I charged to take out another ganger, I rolled a 1, and he rolled a 6 and after the parry another 6, giving my leader 5 hits, taking him out of action right away. Needless to say I was losing.. Luckily I didn't have to take bottle tests, because with 2 down I still had 7 gangers and 2 juves left. By then I had take quite some ground and good sniper positions (2 lasguns). I won due to the fact he wanted to take out all my men and kept sacrificing juves to pull my fighters into the open. I stood my ground, lots of potshots, and quite a lot of patience. I won, after he failed his bottle test after 5 tries. But my victory came at a price, Old battle wound for my heavy and head wound for my Leader. You definately don't want a stupid leader...
On the other hand I had luck with my sniping ganger, as he leveled thrice for making 5 wounding hits, plus luck on the experience throws, as he definitely earned it for winning the encounter. Marksman, +1 A and Fast Shot.. LOL.
Ah well, karma shall we say??

Share your bad luck moments! Thanks, Deltrax

Starwolf
02-08-2007, 20:25
My opponent moves 3 juves (I think. It was 3 models of some mix of juves and gangers) right into the firing lane of my heavy stubber. I roll and get maximum shots at them. Here we go, take 'em all out and he'll bottle out in turn 2, right? Wrong. I hit once, for a flesh wound. Stupid heavy...

Another. My leader misses with sustained-fire plasma gun at the opposing gang leader who is out in the open. Then he shoots my gang leader through a window... with a meltagun.

Commissar Bob
03-08-2007, 06:03
Starwolf I truly feel your pain there. But not too much.

As for me let me see. My worst bit of bad luck would probably be setting my gang up in a scenario where they were ambushed by 2 other gangs who got the first turn of shooting when my lads were in the middle of the street and I wasnt allowed to bottled out. Every single ganger went OOA and 3 of them died from wounds. It was not a pretty scene.

Commissar Bob

Wilger
03-08-2007, 16:10
Well this one was yust plain funny

My Enforcer Sergeant targets 2 Delaque Gangers with his Plasmagun on High setting.
and he is all like "gonna shoot those scumbags up real good"
and so in the last second one of my enforcers is like "ooooh let me see" and puts his head right in the line of fire
and your guess is right
The dice come up 1,1 and 2 so 2 stray shots full in his head and another 1,1 later he goes out of action and a 1,6 after the game makes him dead. (and my leader some xp richer).

nightgant98c
03-08-2007, 20:41
I made a new goliath gang, using a friends models, and he had one with the lascannon, so I said to myself "That sounds like fun". I pay the 400 credits and went on to my first game. My opponent got first turn, and hit my lascannon toting heavy and took him out of action, and he went on to die, nearly crippling my gang. They did recover nicely, going on to have the highest gang rating at the end of the campaign.

AnkhAngel
04-08-2007, 01:14
Playing a raid match I ended up with just 4 gang members left, but my leader, and two gangers in a shooting position to the 'Gateway'.

My opponent only had one ganger too far away and out of LoS to bother me.

Then my opponent brings in a group of three juves with bolt pistols right next to me and guns down all three of my gangers. :(

Deltrax
05-08-2007, 13:48
[snip] ... a group of three juves with bolt pistols right next to me and guns down all three of my gangers. :(

Being owned by Juves is really tough, but it happens. Juves usually have pistols which have +2 short range, making them lethal in those last close inches. At least that's how I abuse my juves often.

carlisimo
07-08-2007, 05:14
Here's a Gorkamorka story, because I don't see a better place for it.

My best Juve-equivalent had recently graduated to full Orkhood (Ganger-equivalent, 20 XP). He was a killing machine, and pretty good at recovering scrap, too. Brimming with confidence, he charged a Nob (Leader) on the next raid but he wasn't that good yet! He was cut down and wounded permanently in the arm.

We were doing well so I took him to the Mad Doc and paid him a few teeth to get him fixed up. Well... the Mad Doc was hard of hearing or something, and gave him a squig brain transplant instead!

Next match we were on our trukks driving towards a heap of scrap. This rebrained Ork rolled less than a 4, and suffered from Stupidity that match. First turn, he walked right off the trukk as it blasted across the desert, got caught under the wheel and died.

THE END

MadDave123
07-08-2007, 05:57
Here's a Gorkamorka story, because I don't see a better place for it.

My best Juve-equivalent had recently graduated to full Orkhood (Ganger-equivalent, 20 XP). He was a killing machine, and pretty good at recovering scrap, too. Brimming with confidence, he charged a Nob (Leader) on the next raid but he wasn't that good yet! He was cut down and wounded permanently in the arm.

We were doing well so I took him to the Mad Doc and paid him a few teeth to get him fixed up. Well... the Mad Doc was hard of hearing or something, and gave him a squig brain transplant instead!

Next match we were on our trukks driving towards a heap of scrap. This rebrained Ork rolled less than a 4, and suffered from Stupidity that match. First turn, he walked right off the trukk as it blasted across the desert, got caught under the wheel and died.

THE END

LOL. Oustanding! :D

As my first post in the Necro forum I'd just like to say that Necromunda is awesome. Best, GW game, EVER! But then you all know that, so on with the tales of woe...

By the end of a campaign I had a 5 (out of 11) gang members (including my leader) with Old Battle Wounds - I just had a knack for rolling them on the Injuries table.

Fortunately for me I never really suffered from them and most of the time all my members were fine for battles. Unfortunately for me, the dice karma came back and bit me in the ass. One game I managed to roll abysmally and ALL 5 members were out for a game.

IN-CON-CEIVABLE!

:mad:

Loketh Latheliu
18-08-2007, 02:52
My friend and I were playing the first battle in a Necro campaign, he with Goliaths, and me with my Van Saars. Gang Fight scenario, and I had been causing a few casualties with shooting, but he had an autocannon pinning down most of my gang atop a water tower. Down on the ground, his gang leader charges a ganger through a door way, and kills him with a chainsword. By this time, both sides were taking bottle checks. The leader keeps moving forward, and takes a shot with his bolt pistol at a downed juve. Gun explodes and puts him out of action (highest Ld in his gang). My turn now. I bottle out.

Carlos
25-08-2007, 20:36
Whilst not bad luck par se, my Orrus got shot twice by a goliath with a shotgun . The first time he suffered a flesh wound and whilst my orrus was pinned he got shot again and went down. I the rolled for recovery and got a 1, meaning another flesh wound. I then got up next turn, still has WS5 (!) and beat the guy up!

Weavetoucher
13-09-2007, 12:46
New escher gang, first game one of my juves draws a bean with her stubgun, squeezes the trigger.... bang blows up in her hands knocking her out of action and making her partially deaf in after game sequence, next game same juve, new gun...... kaboom OOA again come to roll imjury..... partial deaf so she fully deaf!!! still at least she couldn't hear the rest of the gang telling her how pants she was....

Bubble Ghost
13-09-2007, 14:04
My Goliath leader, Big Bob Vader, was a pretty tough guy at this point of our campaign, and carried a power sword. I'd swamped an enemy leader in close combat, and three of my gangers went first with a view to my leader polishing the guy off.

The other leader was a bit of a badass and my rolling wasn't great, and the three gangers duly went out of action - but that was fine, because I was winning, and my plan was to get them down to bottle tests on a dodgy Ld by getting rid of their leader. And so in waded Bob Vader, at least as tough as his opponent on paper and now armed with three extra attacks and a +3 bonus. Except his five dice came up 2, 1, 1, 1 and 1.

The 2 was like a taunt, even more soul-destroying than another 1 would have been. The dice god was going "oh all right, I'll let you have one die that isn't a fumble." Thanks! "But it's the ABSOLUTE WORST IT CAN POSSIBLY BE without being a fumble! Bwahahahahahaaaaa!!"

So yeah, I lost the game.

And, having effectively managed to roll -2 on a D6, Bob Vader went down in local folkore and had his name amended to "Bob Vader, Master of the Impossible."

floyd pinkerton
07-10-2007, 14:55
well, one of my goliath heavies now hates himself:wtf:

His heavy stubber blew up and he got taken out of action by it. I rooled on the injury table and he now hates whoever wounded him:D

Daredhnu
16-10-2007, 20:01
gangs : my goliaths vs. my fathers van saars
scenario : gang fight.

it started well i had 2 heavies with heavy stubbers set-up with a commanding view of the battlefield and in turn 2 had excelent view of over half of his gang.
then i started rolling the dice between the heavies i had 11 shots too bad both of their first shots were a 1 to hit and not a 4+ for ammo so then i was stuck with a shotgun and a laspistol :(

but my dad ended up with some bad luck in his next game.

he was playing against my brothers cawdor and they were fighting in an unstable dome.
so my dad shoots his heavy stubber turn 1 and it caves in.
result 7 guys out of action on my dads side 0 on my brothers :eek:

but my dad was a real sport about it.

Spoik
30-10-2007, 17:18
Let me tell you the tale of Lucky, and a sad tale it is...

Lucky started life as a green juve in the very first game of Necromunda I ever played. Against all the odds, he has survived for many years, and has now risen to lead his own gang, the Zen Yahoos.

He always seemed to lead a charmed life, but it transpires that calling him 'Lucky' was tempting fate just a bit too much...

After a game in which all of his weapons ran out of ammo in the first 3 turns, and a second clash in which his entire contribution was to fire 4 shots, all of which needed a 3+, and all of which missed, it seemed his fabled luck was running out.

In the next game, I actually managed to get him into combat. With his WS6, I was confident, but I rolled 3 1's on my attack dice. The unassuming ganger he was fighting came up with a 6 on her solitary dice, and an epic pasting ensued for Lucky.

Now convinced his luck had vanished, I decided that he would seek out the local witch for advice, and so I hired a telpathic wyrd by the name of Mother Panacea.

They've only featured in one fight so far, in which the wyrd failed to use any of her powers with remarkable consistancy, but Lucky actually managed to shoot somebody, so maybe it's working...

Deltrax
31-10-2007, 00:24
Are many of you guys superstitious?
I was a bit superstitious and I had a pair of dice that always would give me the right rolls. One of them .. I'll explain.
I do have one dice that comes up with 5's just a tad bit more than usual. Like 1 times out of 5 - which is odd, as it should be 1/6th. Threw that dice 100 times to check that theory, and it came up 21 times on 5. Of course you can try to disprove it by throwing a dice 1.000.000 times... but I'd like to have a life ;) They are the GW dice from the Necromunda box. But still it sort of feels like cheating using that die. Might be an imperfection or something. Anyway before I noticed that 'one die' that wasn't perfect I was really superstitious and only rolled it if I wanted a 5. Just that normal 'special' white GW die.
Any of you guys do special things or avoid special things to ward off bad luck??

Spoik
31-10-2007, 11:38
Well, no specific rituals.

I tend not to sacrifice a virgin unless it's a really important roll.

That said, I know from bitter experience never to utter the phrase 'anything but a 1.' That is tempting fate too much.

Speaking of tempting fate, I knew a guy who called his gang 'Bad Fate,' and the catalogue of misfortune that afflicted them was quite astonishing.

In one game, I watched 3/4 of the gang crushed by falling rubble in a hivequake before we even started. Approximately half the gang had head wounds, and so what they would get up to during a game was as much of a surprise to their controller as his opponent. Eventually, their leader was converted to the Redemption, and who could blame him?

ThousandPlateaus
07-01-2008, 20:36
Ah, poor old Bad Fate. Good times indeed.

marv335
08-01-2008, 00:08
we were playing a multi-player scenario to start off a campain.

It was rat hunting. random amounts of giant rats coming out of a central point.
unfortunately they all randomle moved towards my gang leader. for three turns they all charged my boss, eventually took him out of action, then he died on the injury roll table.

Weagmacht
08-01-2008, 00:34
My first game aginst my brother's Van Saar, two of my juves (Michael and Patrick) charged a single shotgunner ganger, both of them must've tripped and fell, because of the four attack dice, I got three 1's and a 2. My brother got a 3 against Patrick (with the 1 and 2) and a 5 against Michael (double 1's), and just brutalized them both. Michael was wounded 4 separate times.

Then his ganger was backed up by a juve, a ganger (bolt pistol), and his leader (bolt pistol + chainsword). This crew proceeded to annhilate my juves' backup, Murphy, before he could fire off a scatter shot with his shotgun.

The same game, a ganger by the name of Sean climbed up a tower, grabbed some loot, failed to even hit his target, got shot + wounded, dropped the loot, failed an initiative test, fell two stories, and was neatly put OOA. It was a bit rough.

pssorens
08-01-2008, 01:22
My friend and I started playing necromunda a few weeks ago. Our first game saw both our gang leaders end up dead. Both Leaders, in the very first game we ever played.!

ThousandPlateaus
08-01-2008, 10:41
Life's tough in the Underhive, innit.

Pootleflump
08-01-2008, 12:48
Life's tough in the Underhive, innit.

Trust me this guy knows what he's talking about!

ThousandPlateaus
08-01-2008, 13:09
Trust me this guy knows what he's talking about!

Haha! Word!

Lorcryst
08-01-2008, 15:18
Many years ago, when Necromunda was first released as a boxed sets with various boxed sets for the gangs, I bought the Escher box because I thought those girls were awesome, the heavy with heavy plasma gun model and a couple of juves ...

Design my very first gang rooster (without the heavy plasma), and off to play I go !

First turn : my two juves and two of my six gangers are gunned down by some fiendishly precise Van Saar shooting.

Second turn : the heavy stubber of my heavy ganger blows up on the first shot, while 3 more of my gangers are sniped.

Third turn : I'm down to a ganger and my leader, this does not bode well ... I should not have worried about taking a bottle test, since in that turn shooting phase the amazing Van Saar snipers continued their show, downing my last two models.

End-of-game sequence, roll for injuries : leader dead, heavy dead, 5 of the 6 gangers dead, 1 juve dead ... the last juve gets the "impressive scars" result and the last ganger the "head wound" result ... juve promoted to leader because of his scars ... gang rating down to something like 75 (from 950).

I nearly sold the minis after that, but I must still have them somewhere ... half-painted, I never had to heart to work on them girls again after that ...

Weagmacht
08-01-2008, 15:53
Lorcryst, you should've run after the second turn... Ouch. Seriously, if I lost eight of my gangers in the first two turns, I'd be gone.

Gen.Steiner
08-01-2008, 16:13
First shot of the first turn of a campaign's first game...

...took my Ratskin shaman Out If Action.

Roll for Serious Injury after the game - '11' and ... '11'!

AAAARRRRRGH! :cries:

Lorcryst
08-01-2008, 17:11
Lorcryst, you should've run after the second turn... Ouch. Seriously, if I lost eight of my gangers in the first two turns, I'd be gone.

I was really young, naive and inexperienced back then ... there was some bad deploying on my part too, and back then I thought that a game was never lost until the last turn.

Hmm. I still think that. But now I do wayyyy less mistakes :p, and it can actually be true (I've scrounged draws and minor victories by refusing to concede the game on turn 4 while fighting on ... I might go down, but not alone, and with a bang).

ThousandPlateaus
08-01-2008, 23:31
Hmm. I still think that. But now I do wayyyy less mistakes :p, and it can actually be true (I've scrounged draws and minor victories by refusing to concede the game on turn 4 while fighting on ... I might go down, but not alone, and with a bang).

Indeed, being Redemptionist through and through, I feel morally obliged not to bottle if I can help it... although, I really need to do something about those Ld.7 Deacons who insist on becoming priests all the time.

WACE
09-01-2008, 12:32

Speaking of tempting fate, I knew a guy who called his gang 'Bad Fate,' and the catalogue of misfortune that afflicted them was quite astonishing.

In one game, I watched 3/4 of the gang crushed by falling rubble in a hivequake before we even started. Approximately half the gang had head wounds, and so what they would get up to during a game was as much of a surprise to their controller as his opponent. Eventually, their leader was converted to the Redemption, and who could blame him?

And that fella with such bad judgement in gang-naming was me.

For the record, Spoik, my friend: Boss Hog was converted to the Redemption before the infamous hive quake massacre. Bad Fate was under the leadership of Jonas 'Shotgun' Lebeau (WS5, BS6, head wound, dammit) for that particular fiasco.

My latest gang, the Bedlam boys, seems to be faring much better. Well, only two head wounds so far....

Gen.Steiner
10-01-2008, 08:29
One should never bottle unless you fail your roll. Gang honour demands it.

Unless, of course, the boss is out of action, at which point any voluntary bottling is entirely because the gang is concerned for the boss's welfare... :angel:

Weagmacht
10-01-2008, 15:58
I'm a bit of a sneaky git when it comes to quitting the field - In Scavengers, when I've got about half the loot, I call retreat. Of course I look to take down as many opponents as possible, but still... Every time I've gone in ready to fight till the end, I've failed my bottle roll early.

Astraeos
16-03-2008, 00:45
My second (and last :() game, I was playing with two other people and I must've had the worst part of the board to deploy in. But being so very new to GW in general, I didn't realize this. First turn, My gang came under heavy fire and several guys went down. I had to take a bottle test, and I failed causing everyone to leg it! The saddest part is that I never even fired a shot :( But the highlight was setting up when I used a pit slave to stand in for a model and the two other guys faces dropped when they saw him. One asked me, sounding a tiny bit concerned, if I was using him. Even though he was a proxy, he was still the first one to be shot at!

dancingmonkey
16-03-2008, 11:47
Had a chainsword/pistol girlie ganger who was climibing the ranks nicely and shaping up to be a cc monster from hell. Was playing the zombie invasion scenario (where you have to find the life shaft and escape from the pit)

Was going really well, Hvy stubber was pasting zombies left, right and centre, the life was found (Juve went off looking for it)
The girls were making their way to safety, headed up by said chainsaw warrior, who was raking in exp slaughtering the undead. Charged a couple of zombies and looked to clean up and get to safety, till I rolled a bunch of ones and she went down screaming. Sadly she never made it out, although her untimely death did allow everyone else to escape.

Dom (playing zombies) though it was v funny as this was my fave ganger and she was getting rather scary. Guess she wore herself out on the dozen or so corpses she had already ploughed through...

Still, I always recommend zombie games. They are great fun in Necro...

Darkseer
16-03-2008, 13:39
One of my friends, whenever rolling for serious injuries he rolled DEAD.

He's getting redder and more angry with each guy in his gang who dies. After the fourth dead he rolls...MULTIPLE INJURIES.

The rest of us burst out laughing. (poor guy!)

How many injuries?
*rolls*
SIX!

That's how 'Hobbling Nick Nitro' came to be. The flamer armed heavy with 2 chest wounds, only two fingers on one hand and 2 leg injuries.
At toughness 1 and a whopping movement of 2" (or 4" is he hobbled) he was everyone's experience target :D

KASOx
17-03-2008, 11:09
I once played the Zombie invasion scenario with a new Scavvy gang, hoping to tot up some nice experience gains from the start. Unfortunately, being only a young lad at the time, and not knowing much about "tactics" I got my leader surrounded by 4 Zombies...

The leader shortly after forced down was in a tad spot of bother. So I threw a tox bomb his way to help him. My biggest mistake yet. The guy who threw it managed to get two leadership gains, and then rivaled my gang leader for his position. He won it, and my leader walked off into the sunset =(

Onlyhestands
17-03-2008, 12:59
I shoot a guy on a ledge with a shotgun, he gets hit and pinned but doesn't go down. I shoot him with a lasgun and hit and pinned again but doesn't go down. Finnaly a third guy armed with a shotgun shoots, hits and puts him down. He falls and takes 6 more wounds, all of them were only "down". I then shoot him when he was on the ground and trying to crawl away, but only got even more "down" results. He was down at the end of the game but didn't go out of action. Frustrating to say the least.

Gen.Steiner
17-03-2008, 17:51
But... he did give you at least 10 wounding hits. Which is 50XP. :p

Onlyhestands
17-03-2008, 21:54
True, I did farm xp off of him.

neXus6
17-03-2008, 23:41
My first, and only, time using an auto-cannon in a starting gang. The heavy had a fairly commanding position and blasted a good few opponents down, till a shot rang out, it must have blown out the back of his head cause he was in a lot of cover and got that loverly DEAD result, no more AC. :p

I must say I was very very impressed with the auto-cannon up until he died, I was instantly hit with the down side of having so many creds in 1 model. :(

...and don't get me started on people who actually use "Disarm." :mad:

Gen.Steiner
18-03-2008, 00:13
Hey, Disarm's bloody useful. We just houserule that the weapon isn't lost unless you lose the game... ;)

neXus6
18-03-2008, 00:46
:p
I kinda like that ...if you get disarmed then flee the territory you've got no chance of looking for it. :)

nightgant98c
18-03-2008, 18:39
Or maybe make it lost only on a 4+. It might not get found by anybody, wether you win or lose.

ThousandPlateaus
19-03-2008, 00:49
Ah, the actual ruling is on the revised skill tables. You Disarm as normal on a 4+, but then the disarmer has to subsequently win the combat to permanently disarm the opponent. Sadly, this means no more 'suicide juves' whose job it is to take on Heavies :(

nightgant98c
19-03-2008, 14:15
Truly a loss to the game.

Deltrax
22-03-2008, 13:52
oh I wouldn't know about those suicide juves... they are quite fearsome.
Charging juve with WS2 still has ws2+1 and 2 attack dice (minimum knife+pistol or better)
A heavy is encumbered with his heavy weapon. WS3-1 and 1 attack dice. On average you should be able to do 2 more hits with the juve in the first turn. After that, it's down to best of 2 vs 1 D6 in favor of the juve. Never ever underestimate a juve in close quarters; the juve has good close combat because of a 2 attack dice, and dangerous up close in the '+2 to hit' zone of most pistols.