PDA

View Full Version : T.W.A.R.-Systems Project Log

migsula
01-08-2007, 22:35
Hello Everyone!:)

I decided to join the forums, impressed by the activity and stuff on show.

I am working on a new crazy project called the T.W.A.R.-Systems for Tactical War and Reconnaisance systems :)

Basically I have always wanted to build big ass, unique, super detailed, fighting robots, but until now haven’t had the instance were inspiration meets an idea and idea meets the rules. Well the Transformers movie, with the super neat, individualistic robots, meets my stash of Gundam kits brought from Tokyo, meets lots of plasticard, kit bashing from GW ranges (Tau, Marines, Eldar, Defilers), and the Tyranid codex!! All of this is wrapped in to visuals that are most to my liking and a realistic style.

A new machine race of technological superiority, from the outer reaches of the galaxy, who maybe even modelled their warrior-kins after the genetically engineered Tyranid Killing Machines. Now they've found traces of civilisation that worships a "machine god" on a planet entirely devoted to understanding and manufacture of technology. Tactical War and Reconnaissance Systems have been dispatched as the main fleet is mobilising.

I always wanted a free canvas to play with, where rules and kits would be a starting point, an inspiration and the end product and the visuals would be my own unrestricted vision. Some projects you do for competitions, some for tournies, some to show you can do this or that, some to please someone...this one is purely for the kid in me, and the kind of work I love to do.

So thus far I've finished:

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/82950299/original.jpg

and

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/82950957/original.jpg

more pics, including a lot of the WIPs and kits at:

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/mechzilla

I also have a set of fluff written and working on a more permanent solution to host the project, so I will keep you posted.

Let me know what you think!!

-migs

Marovian
01-08-2007, 22:45
I suppose Transformers could be considered to be the living embodiment of the machine god, though would they still get squash like bugs by an Emperor titan?:confused:

Oh yes, forgot to say BLOODY GREAT MODELS!!!!!:eek:

KayvaanShrike
01-08-2007, 22:46
You know, I like these, they are awesome conversions, and very realistically painted. So they are a Nid counts as army? I take it the 2nd pic there is a Zoanthrope?

Aquilla
01-08-2007, 22:53
I happened across this in your pbase while looking through my favourites and I must say...

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!!

:)

Wayfarer
01-08-2007, 22:55
As I said over on dakka, this is a great idea. Really creative and unique.

schoolcormorant
01-08-2007, 23:01
genius idea, nid stand in :D

lovely work :)

SC

Astador
01-08-2007, 23:20
Great work Migs! Loved your marines, now we have more to drool over!

Arsonist18
01-08-2007, 23:24
Man I wish I kept all my old toys to repurpose them for stuff like this. That second pic is good use of Gundam parts, like the foot for the propulsion and a battleshield as a head.

Awesome conversions.

Brother Muninn
02-08-2007, 01:00
Love the models, the second one really makes me think of Gypsy from MST3K though.

sheep
02-08-2007, 02:41
Very nice, the weathered paint is spectacular.

Always enjoyed seeing your stuff on Dakka, welcome to warseer :D

Cheers

Sheep

hallowed_are_the_ori
02-08-2007, 04:18
Nice painting man, love the models too.

firestorm40k
02-08-2007, 07:58
Utterly incredible work! :eek: Amazing kit-bashing, superb painting - fantastic! :) :cool:

migsula
02-08-2007, 08:01
Thanks guys.

Yes, they are a "MECHzilla" Tyranid army in the making, and the first two are a hive tyrant and a Zoanthrope. I've always liked the Tyranid list, but the tyranids have seemes a faceless mass of alien death, nothing heroic or exciting to me in that - so I needed my own concept.

Good to see some familiar faces! This project logs are is a wonderful idea and seems truly active. Dakka needs something similar.

scrubout
02-08-2007, 08:32
Very impressive indeed, I love it!

I have to ask, have you considered any Evangelion-inspired mechs? The thought of a carnifex or tyrant concealed entirely in a metal mech would be interesting, with creepy blood oozing out...

...hmmm, your vision, my bad!

I love it though, please continue to post (regular!) updates in this log. Way to blow my mind, I'm still shocked, and extremely envious of how wicked this army idea is.

-scrubout

jasevx
02-08-2007, 09:04
Great idea, and great work!

Can't wait to see more

Ross
02-08-2007, 10:06
MMM, I quite agree with Scrubout here!! I'm slowly catching up on the Evangeloin series and am just up to the part where Unit 1 (or zero, or whatever) breaks out of it's shell and you find out......

Anyway, I know it's not in your fluff but the concepts great, as is your transformers style fluff :)

And the models and painting!!

migsula
02-08-2007, 10:41
Thanks again guys. I am a complete noobie to any anime/gundam stuff, but I think that will be to my benefit and not be a restricting factor on my imagination. I try hard to make this something that fits 40k gothic despite being my own cookings and having the strong themes of Gundam in the parts.

SO is it "legal" to also post fluff in these project logs? Or how does this space work? I think the fluff would give you a better idea of the whole concept and hence be modelling related :)

Evilhomer
02-08-2007, 11:23
Ahh the infamous migsula :D! Lovely mini's, the robothrope is definately my fave! Love the weathering and the light on his little head. Reminds me of units from total annihilation if you've ever played that (I've only had a little exposure to Japanese stuff)..

Look forward to seeing more :)

**edit**

Can we get a close up of the blood on the commander? :)

Lavadude360
02-08-2007, 11:28
nice models they are really weel painted.

I would love to see autobots & decepticons VS a titan legion pieces of transformer everywhere.

TheOverlord
02-08-2007, 12:13
More proof that buying model kits are never a waste of time!

THAT is what I call conversion at the highest level! Awesomeness on a stick, you win the internet!

About the only few gripes I have is these ; Why aren't there more angles on your pics T_T and 2, the weapon system you grafted onto his right arm looks to be a little on the simple side, like a plaster on and go sorta chop shop, but it's all good! Sweet models.

Zark the Damned
02-08-2007, 12:24
Awesome kitbashing there, and very effective weathering effects on the armour. Can't wait to see more of these guys.

Endemion
02-08-2007, 18:45
Fantastic modelling, it's great to see your work here on warseer finally. The blue glow on the back of the zoanthrope is particularly cool.

Oh, and nobody would have a problem with fluff in a project log

Aegius
02-08-2007, 20:18
/jaw drops to ground. OMG those are nice robots. keep up the good work.

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
02-08-2007, 22:15
More piccies!

horzaman
03-08-2007, 01:28
Awesome models, i love them, can't wait to see more.

Strelok
03-08-2007, 01:38
Brilliant, simply brilliant

The Orange
03-08-2007, 02:20
I wish I could convert like that :(.
I wish I could paint like that :cries:.

Very nice, I love the light effect on top of the robo-thropes head. Please do show us more :evilgrin:.

migsula
03-08-2007, 11:36
I'm working every free minute I have on these. :) Next one should be finished in a few days, with a stady schedule to finish one a week I hope. The converting and painting takes some time.

If you haven't seen my other miniatures before, you can take a look at www.pbase.com/migsula The biggerised Marines and the Yellow Eldar are the newest/most interesting projects maybe.

kaffeezombie
03-08-2007, 14:31
Ah, always knew there was something missing in 40k: Mechs ^^ (Okay, there's the matter of titans, but those don't really count...).

Looking great, especially the new, big one. The smaller bot beside it seems to have the mechanical equivalent of feeder tentacles, or am I mistaken?

Any plans for the "troop" choices yet?

Bluedestiny
03-08-2007, 14:59
i've tried doing something like this before, but was not allowed to use them in tourey, GW stores and such, because they weren't GW models T.T AND PLEASE KEEP UP UR AWESOME WORK!!!!!!!! MORE!!!

jasevx
03-08-2007, 15:02
I wish GW stores would be more relaxed, WHW allows virtually anything as long as your spending money in there.

zbeam
03-08-2007, 16:03
damn! very nice. the modeling and painting is very impressive. the spot light on brainstorm is the first time ive seen light sourcing on nice big flat surfaces before and it really works.

it was only a few nights ago i sat down to re-invigorate my tau to realise how much id love to do away with all of the tau circles in a divided circle icons and replace em with decepticon logos.

then i remembered the completely awesome playstation 2 transformers game (NOT the movie game) that was made in australia. it features a decepticlone army that consists of small, medium, heavy, assault,spider, recon, sniper and command drones. the AI in that game was superb.

i found all the pics of the army in full parade (along with the all purpose flying transports) and though damn that would be an amazing 40k army.

unfortunatly the standard troops of the tau just arnt up to the task of being mech enough to resemble humanoid drone robots. it would all have to be scratch built stand ins.

still, im keen to have a crack sculpting the decepticon logo on a fire warrior shoulder pad and moulding enough for an army for personal use. tough thing to sculpt though!

glowing in the dark
03-08-2007, 18:46
Emperors holy penguins:eek:
ROBATS!! I mean, wow. Cool loking stuff, especially light sourcing and weathering. If you could do a little tutorial, I'm sure i won't be only one thankful!:angel:

sir.spamalot
03-08-2007, 19:04
*dies* bloody excellent, welcome to the forum:)

migsula
04-08-2007, 09:02
Emperors holy penguins:eek:
ROBATS!! I mean, wow. Cool loking stuff, especially light sourcing and weathering. If you could do a little tutorial, I'm sure i won't be only one thankful!:angel:

I could well do that, if it's helpful. This was the first time I tried light sourcing, so I will do it a little differently next time, but then I could do a tutorial. (I'm happy with the result, just with hindsight have a more effective way of achieving it) I'll try to take some WIPs of the weathering with this or the next robot.

DAKKADAKKA modeling FAQ is getting a revision, and the existing, quite excellent article on weathering, by Snord will get new stuff and hopefully more pics too :)

migsula
04-08-2007, 09:05
i've tried doing something like this before, but was not allowed to use them in tourey, GW stores and such, because they weren't GW models T.T AND PLEASE KEEP UP UR AWESOME WORK!!!!!!!! MORE!!!

There has been one Scadinavian GT in finland, all other tournies would welcome this, the atmosphere is relaxed and likes creativity. I never play in the GW store, so that isn't a problem to me and I understand why they want GW only as armies like this can be quite bad advertising, costing a fraction to their merchandise to begin with :)

...having said that, this is the kinda project I'd be happy to take to UK GT, if it was allowed...

migsula
12-08-2007, 10:21
I had the priviledge of seeing Jakob Nielsen's minis yesterday (in ROPECON07 were we both held presentations and workshops) and was filled with inspiration...even if the urge to paint GD stuff is huge - but gaming hobby is just more fun to me...so:

I finished painting the next TWAR (gunfex with T,W and Sv upgrades), working late and starting when I woke up, a tactical firesuperiority system. Set up the photo...and AAARGH camera is in denmark for a week :-X

So I'm Varnishing it, which is actually good as I get to finish it properly by killing shines I don't want and giving it that heavy mahinery feel and then Wednesday I'll have pics.

migsula
14-08-2007, 11:12
I've been thinking and discussing the project with friends, and since there's no official permanent blog accessible to everyone anywhere I'll share the thoughts here incase somebody likes to know more about the stuff going on with the TWAR.

I've been thinking about the fluff and how a Archtroni Warrior looks under all that "Cybernetics" and armour, and how this relates to scaling up. With the heavy Carni I've made sure the chest/head remain roughly the same size, making it appear as the thing just has some self-locking, heavily armoured feet upgrades to better fit the battlefield role, while Splinter has bird like feet, because he can fly. 40k TWAR are pretty much Archtroni + heavy gear and upgrades, with a sense of "evolution" to battle field role, but there will be constructs "driven" by TWAR.

Brainstorm is a physically challenged Archtroni, but lethally intelligent, and the infantry, m.e.AI are just robots, soulless things, programmed to do their job.

I am trying to imagine something super heavy, and also non humanoid things. Possible something like the Star Wars 4legged walker and flyers too.

I'll wait for Apocalypse of course, but I'm spinning the ideas in my head. and might get the FW book with Nids in it.

If you were technologically very advanced and could evolve yourself for a battlefield role, what would you look like?

This is the question I am asking myself going forward and deeper into the project and design. I am fleshing out and starting to sketch. I am thinking about the "guy" in the armor and how he looks. I'm thinking about the civilians too, and will do something in between, a "doctor" TWAR atleast.

I started a fresh W&N black sketch book for this project and printed photos of the stuff on it. I'll need to share some of the sketching too at some point. I am also collecting a lot of inspiration material in it. Lots of Japanese toys and graphics and miniature pics from artists I like. I also like to look at Nature and the Tyranids and think of their structure and purpose.

There are many parallel creative processes here, even the writing helps despite myself not being a writer type. But it really helps. It's fascinating to see this project become more and more credible and fascinating design study - not just a hobby project.

and finally: The Heavy carni number uno has been named:

"Rampart" and it's an Arsenal-System. (while the dakkafexes will be Assault-Systems)

Remoah
14-08-2007, 11:28
Must i say OWNAGE.

Cool models dude.

migsula
16-08-2007, 09:58
DAKKADAKKADAKKAAA!!!

Arsenal System "Rampart".
The biggest, baddest TWAR in the army list. It was a bitch to photograph because of the size actually.

I tried to work in a feel he's just been through a serious firefight and come up on top. Notice the smoking, still smouldering Baneblade track! :)

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/83978351/original.jpg

more pics @:
T.W.A.R. - Systems Photo Gallery by Miklu at pbase.com (http://www.pbase.com/migsula/mechzilla)

LMK what you think!

sheep
16-08-2007, 10:05
FanF$#kingTastic as always Migs :D

The weathering and conversions are sublime. Just not sure about the hand. . . doesn't look right to me for some reason.

Are the bases meant to make ppl think of the Hexs from Mech warrior? Because they do to me. Thats not a bad thing btw :)

Keep it up, you put my output of quality and quantity to shame.

Cheers

Sheep

Cheatah
16-08-2007, 12:43
WOWHEE... that looks amazing!

mirakel_jocke
16-08-2007, 13:06
Whoa, what a super awesome idea.

This must be the best use of the 'nid codex yet achieved.

Hope to see more (oh and btw, that colour scheme you've chosen for them just looks superb on them, superb I say).

~MJ

Marovian
16-08-2007, 18:09
Looking damn fine, I am insane with jealousy at your skill

Wibble wibble

scrubout
16-08-2007, 18:22
Nerdgasms all over!

What a fun and original project, inspired.

-scrubout

migsula
16-08-2007, 20:24
Thanks for the kind words gents!

Helps to keep going :)

Hortwerth
16-08-2007, 20:56
This is a truly awesome project, makes me want to have a go myself!

Splendid paintjobs, and inspired conversions. Top notch!

migsula
19-08-2007, 09:31
Sheep - I agree about the hadn I know, I wanted ti to look relaxed, now it looks limp. Oh well...It's not so bad from other angles thankfully.

Hortwerth - Thank you sir. You work is truly inspirational too. As is Sheep's and so many others' here!

Next Up I hope to build a few protos for the AI foot soldiers, to give this lot more of an army feel and put in that 28mm reference size and look wise.

migsula
20-08-2007, 16:39
I have started an "army challenge" with a bunch of friends. so now there's a deadline each month and by next June I should have an entire army, plus some stratagems and other visuals :)

I did a base for the first assault-system lastnight. It's mainly just tarmac and I intend to paint some yellow and white roadmarking on it, but also there's a little ruin and a lamp-post there, the TWAR has torn in two and is using the top part as a makeshift hammer. This allows a lot of cool detailing, wires repositioned to emphasise swing/gravity, shattered glass possibly, totally different metals to what TWAR have etc.

The assault system itself is based on this kit:
http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/82069650/original.jpg

It will have a 4point attachment of devourer/eldarmissilelaunchers in the shoulder area and shorter legs, with bottom part "open" like on Splinter to communicate the 3+ save. The saves will be nicely WYSIWYG as the Lictor has its legs entirely "open" and much lighter arm armour too.

migsula
24-08-2007, 21:29
I am going a little bit Apocalypse mad with all the rumours surfacing! This porject will truly come alive when I get to do something totally crazy :eek: I think the timing has been great as Pocalypse is really perfect for this kind of projects.

SO - A really big thing is in being planned and work is continuing on the big things.

I am also going to do a few small updates to my Marines, an army you can see here: http://www.pbase.com/migsula/eagles

thewizardofoz
24-08-2007, 23:14
grrrr-reat stuff migsula. subscribed.

migsula
04-09-2007, 11:02
I've been slightly sidetracked with doing more Crescent Guard Marines, of which you can see a blog at dakkadakka (http://dakkadakka.com/CommunityForums/tabid/56/forumid/8/postid/187867/view/topic/Default.aspx) , but the Lictor is now getting paint! :)

This is him just before prime, with the addition of retractable blades to arm armour. (and notice the first assault carni WIP on the backround) :

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/84635947/original.jpg

Endemion
05-09-2007, 15:08
Gotta be honest, I loved the rest of your TWAR models, but this just doesn't seem dynamic enough for a lictor somehow, especially compared to your tyrant.

sir.spamalot
05-09-2007, 23:33
wow, that last model is awesome, the smoldering baneblade track is so cool!:)

cheers

migsula
07-09-2007, 07:34
Gotta be honest, I loved the rest of your TWAR models, but this just doesn't seem dynamic enough for a lictor somehow, especially compared to your tyrant.

You make a fair point, one I've addressed to most of my friends who've made the same comment.

I am hoping to have a feel of arrogant stroll on the enemy, as the thing would be practically invisible before action. So I don't see it crouching! Through out the army I want to have all sorts of different poses, so not to worry, more dynamic ones to come.

migsula
07-09-2007, 07:37
Pics. The 1st one from yesterday evening, rest in the gallery today in natural light - both far from what I wanted. But hey, this is just models and pics are never the same as seeing them IRL anyway. ATleast the light grey stuff photographs nicely.

The group shots are actually more accurate representations of the Lictor too. I am now 2months into the project and have finished more than 550pts!

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/85180061/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/85180064/original.jpg

Let me know what you think. A little weathering will still go in after varnish as usual, everything that needs to stay wet looking or powdery.

sheep
07-09-2007, 07:42
Wow, great work as usual Migs.

I really like the camoflage/stealth effect on the right leg, really well executed.

I have to agree with the others though, the pose doesn't strike me as lictor-ish, any reason for it being a darker shade of grey too?

Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Cheers

Sheep

migsula
07-09-2007, 13:11
Thanks Sheep, The darker shade is mainly for variation, but also to reflect the "spec-op" missions of this particular system. I still think it fits in quite well with the rest of them.

Here's a new pic, after Varnish! Shows the markings properly and some close ups of the Antenna-fari :)

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/85188847/original.jpg

sheep
07-09-2007, 13:14
Its funny how much varnish helps pull the colours together, looks really good, and the pose is growing on me.

Its like hes poised for explosive violence, like the little asian guy in the white suit on the simpsons :D

Cheers

Sheep

jasevx
07-09-2007, 13:24
I think hes great, but I agree with the idea he's a lictor, he needs to be more dynamic, leaping or phasing in out of camouflage like the Tau Stealth suits.

Endemion
07-09-2007, 16:53
Hadn't realised how big the zoanthrope was, great army shot. I take your point about the lictor's pose, and it does look better painted

Death Korp
07-09-2007, 17:08
I love your models because...

1. I love Gundams (don't have any though, but that will change)
2. Love 'nids and 40k
3. Like cool things

Honestly mate, these are brilliant. I couldn't even paint the detail needed on Gundams!

Want more :evilgrin:!

DK

Sojourner
07-09-2007, 17:13
You sir, are a god amongst men! These are really incredibly cool, and the background is also very original.

So are these guys a mechanical race, or somewhat cybernetic, or what?

migsula
07-09-2007, 21:06
Thanks lads!! Really, I appreciate the comments, it really helps me keep going and I've felt very welcome at Warseer from the start.

Sheep - Yup, Varnish really did this one good.

Sojourner - they are a machine race that is all about cybernetics. So basically you have specimen, that has natural talents like humans do, but is more akin to a central nervous system and needs a body (feed of energy). These "bodies" are crafted to suit their role in life, and for T.W.A.R Archoni war is their life.

Thanks again.

-migs

migsula
11-09-2007, 11:03
PETITION

I am looking for those extra Plastic Warwalker feets!! The kit comes with 3, you need two, T.W.A.R. needs one

Please PM, Email or post here if you have any to spare. I can trade/paypal if need be.

migsula
17-09-2007, 16:12
"I don't know what it is yet"

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/85746298/original.jpg

Just a small update - I did this on friday. It is testament to fun I have with these kits, I see a part and it makes me build it, while a paint scheme emrges in my head... I'm adding lots of cables and armoured coils and whatnot by which it floats on a 40mm base.

FW has those larger looking Tyranid Sporemine like things, what do they do???, maybe this is first of a set of those, or a comm link stratagem, or just a part/familiar like thing for a future model - time will tell. I ordered my self the Imperial Armour book with Nids and I'm almost finished detailing the assault carni

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/85362487/original.jpg

The AI infantry is still on the list ASAP - I just need to hunt some more bitz and remind a few friends who've promised me parts. I will do a Trygon TWAR next I think!!!

IJW
17-09-2007, 16:28
Great stuff, I'll be following this one closely.

Endemion
17-09-2007, 16:35
Could you make enough of the flyer type thing to make a gargoyle brood?

Really looking forward to seeing your take on the trygon

migsula
17-09-2007, 21:38
Could you make enough of the flyer type thing to make a gargoyle brood?

Gargoyles will be AI infantry with jumppacks :) I will model some dropping from my "AirSuperiority-System" (mechanical harridan) when I get to it.

Endemion
18-09-2007, 16:07
How about adding the small thingy onto a larger units base to represent enhanced senses for it?

migsula
18-09-2007, 17:50
How about adding the small thingy onto a larger units base to represent enhanced senses for it?

That's a good idea. The only problem is that then I'd need something similar for everything with Enhanced senses (everything has it). A friend suggested that it should be one of those bigger spore mines as they are awesome in the game and split into 5 smaller ones when they explode - this immediately gives me a few modelling ideas, so lets see.

Thanks for the suggestions!

migsula
23-09-2007, 18:46
I decided for an AI bomb and I quite like how the design came off - Here it is with a with a lick of paint. Let me know what you think.

(Varnish finished a tad dusty, must've been too chilly outside and I think I added one spray from too far, but it juts resulted for a matter finish, didn't ruin it as sometimes with the old GW Matte. I'll even it with Testors anyway as with the others.)

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/86061899/original.jpg

and a wip with some of the detailing:

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/86062434/original.jpg

I had fun building/painting this. It was a very hmmm...I like this part, what should I make out of it kind of a start, but then evolved towards building something pre-defined. I will do the small bombs on individual bases and possibly another set later.

Nocturn
23-09-2007, 18:56
that one looks really cool oO
i like it..
give it to me :P
or make more of them xD

migsula
25-09-2007, 09:54
I may eventually make more, but next I'll do something different again :)

Hellbore
25-09-2007, 10:54
loving these models man, wish i had the artistic gifts of some of the people here :cries:
keep it up :D

malika
25-09-2007, 12:53
Oooh, this is cool! Keep up the good work, perhaps include more GW bits in them. For example Land Raider scanners etc for heads, perhaps some plasma cannons like weapon which is hidden inside the arm which can open up.

Another really cool thing would be sometihng along the lines of a heavy support sniper robot, something along in the designs of the Valkyrie frm Robotech, take a look here (http://www.cybermodelers.com/showcase/box20030330/09210005a.jpg), and there (http://www.toysnjoys.com/macrosstoys/vf-1battroidvalkyrie.jpg). the idea for the sniper is basicly that its a very agile and fast unit which can get to those handy spots quickly and leave fast enough to be detected. (similar tactics to the way the Dark Eldar Scourges are used) So its a very handy unit for support (blowing up Carnifexes and Hive Tyrants from a distance) while very fragile against hand to hand combat and such so it uses speed as a defense against it. Try to get your hands on a more flexible looking mecha, add bits from the FW Tau Battlesuits, maybe even Eldar bits for a more agile look. The large gun can perhaps be made from a combination of several Autocannon/Lascannon barrels (it has to be long) and various Tau bits.

Dont know if you will use these ideas or not, but it doesnt hurt if I suggest them since you might get other ideas or concepts from it :) And well...this thread has made me all mecha loving again :evilgrin:
What about a more human sized robot as well, something similar to this (http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/robotics/mech-thing-color.jpg) and Frenzy from the Transformers movie (http://www.visualfxblog.com/images/tf_8_frenzy.jpg). Seeing that all your stuff is looking pretty big these smaller units could perhaps work in a similar way as how swarms work for the smaller races. (Ripper Swarms for the Nids, Necron Scarabs, etc) Simply use Necron Warrior parts as the basis and then add green stuff and various other bits to beef them up a bit. You could arm them in various ways, some with rifles, others who have guns "growing" out of their arms.

I notice that you mentioned the Tyranid Codex, are you using that armylist as a basis, or will you end up creating something totally new? As for the background, can we expect more? :chrome:

EDIT: read the thread on DAKKADAKKA as well and noticed you are using the Nid list. Mostly the big creatures huh? Oh well, dont know how my suggestions will fit in now. Perhaps the smaller robots I suggested might be Termagaunts. The Sniper might be another Carnifex. How are you going to create the Warriors? Hope to see more stuff and fluff soon. Oh a little suggestion on the fluff, I read the little battlescene on Dakka, you might want to add something like "organics" as this is how these creatures might view the other races in the galaxy.

migsula
25-09-2007, 18:12
Hey Malika!

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Both are always welcome.

Yup, I am using the nid list as I think it's so varied and biomorphs translate brilliantly to tech and mech upgrades :) I am making AI-infantry using the Necron Warrior parts, but much skinnier torso, new head etc. Thus far the Nid list has only proven to be a great inspiration, but the project will move beyond table top gaming as I see fit and where I find interesting ground and enjoyment.

I am also doing one human sized TWAR (so not artificial intelligense unit, but a livingmech) based on Necron Pariah, but with human "disguise". He will be leading a group of mercenaries, the TWAR scouts in away... This will be a future GD entry or for Necromunda.

Free Spirit
25-09-2007, 18:20
Your work is so excellent to look at. It's easy when doing something like this to fall in repetition. This is not the case here, excellent models, all of them. From modelling to painting, everything is top notch. *high fives you*

malika
25-09-2007, 18:47
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Both are always welcome.
Then I will post more when I have more ideas!

The sniperunit I suggested earlier might count as a Biovore.

I am also doing one human sized TWAR (so not artificial intelligense unit, but a livingmech) based on Necron Pariah, but with human "disguise". He will be leading a group of mercenaries, the TWAR scouts in away... This will be a future GD entry or for Necromunda.
Hmm, sounds like something from Terminator, you might want to look at the T-X Terminatrix (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-X). Weaponsystems hidden in the arms. As for the disguise...might be artificial flesh, or living metal...but an even cooler idea would be that its a holographic projection. For some reason I find a holographic projection to be more fitting and cooler for this race than to "turn organic" as we've seen in various other sci fi.

Oh, and you can go totally crazy with the Tyranid Warriors since they simply have so many variations. You could have flying units and for some reason Im imagining them to be like Starscream from the Transformers movie, even transforming a little bit when going into flight or combat mode. You could model the squad in which members are in various phases of the transformation. Or is this too Transformer like?

floyd pinkerton
25-09-2007, 21:36
oh my god, keep it up mate!

malika
28-09-2007, 14:44
A little bit off topic, but Migsula...I thought you would have to see this little clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtQ4ZrXY9ns) of the South African robotic police officer. Might give you inspiration for human sized troops. Kind of the idea that TWAR (forgot their alien name, sorry) try to real from the races they encounter by making a copy of them.

Leunam
28-09-2007, 14:58
You've inspired me to do an Ad-Mech Forgeworld run amok using the Tyranid codex. Incredible work.

migsula
28-09-2007, 16:04
A little bit off topic, but Migsula...I thought you would have to see this little clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtQ4ZrXY9ns) of the South African robotic police officer. Might give you inspiration for human sized troops. Kind of the idea that TWAR (forgot their alien name, sorry) try to real from the races they encounter by making a copy of them.

That's a real cool video and I really like the look of the robot. (The story is sort of pointless though, even if it's a visual effects demo?)

synapse
29-09-2007, 11:46
love the use of defiler tentacles on the 'zoanthrope',really cool!

and the painting, as always, is flawless!

hiveminion
29-09-2007, 11:49
Migsula, this stuff is amazing. I can really see this race fitting in with the 40k universe which is quite something! The conversion and painting work is absolutely stunning and I love how every 'counts-as' robot looks similar to its Tyranid counterpart.

5/5, I love it all!

MF3000
29-09-2007, 14:02
Because I'm such a sentimental git, I thought I would quote these;

"I always wanted a free canvas to play with, where rules and kits would be a starting point, an inspiration and the end product and the visuals would be my own unrestricted vision."

"I've always liked the Tyranid list, but the tyranids have (seemed) a faceless mass of alien death, nothing heroic or exciting to me in that - so I needed my own concept."

They're just inspiring and in my opinion the epitome of what hobby side of GW ought to return to.

+-+-+

Back to the army. Great work mate. Completely inspiring conversions and construction work. Your painting skills are also equally impressive!

sj

migsula
29-09-2007, 14:41
Thanks guys!

Good quotes! DId I say that? :)

I am getting a set of bitz from a few friends and buying some Necron Warriors ASAP to get what I've planned/designed forwards again. It's hard to maintain the discipline to do the 1500pts "army" first when my mind is going apocalyptic...

I would actually like to try casting the torso part for the little guys. I found this rather professional looking and cool modeling shop :
http://www.modelshop.co.uk/services/s_04.htm

I'm also tempted to do some 3d printing at school, but one of the "enjoyments" of this hobby is staying away from 3d modeling that is usually an important part in all design projects I do. So lets see.

Marsekay
29-09-2007, 14:48
Really intersting stuff you are coming up with. I always look forward to seeing the next construction!

migsula
30-09-2007, 23:22
I just ordered some Apocalyptic reinforcements.

Amongst them a 1/100 "Serpent Custom"!!! (my first arsenal system is based on 1/144 "Serpent Custom" [Wink] This new one will be a Barbed Hierodule I think - as I want the Hierophant to have 4 legs. I need to get the sizes "roughly" right to their tyranid equivalents - the basing being most important. Is the FW big round base 100mm in diameter??

HiveTrygon
01-10-2007, 01:13
I've had the same desire and you just happened to inspire me to do the same. I've been sculpting robots of my own for fun but never thought of a way to use them, thanks so much for sharing such a cool idea. I have so many ideas now that can become finished pieces with a "true" purpouse rather than just fun sculpts. I'm eagerly awaiting your next update. :D:D:D

Oh, and if I forgot to mention, the conversions and painting is fantabulous. (can't think of a word good enough so I made that one up. :p )

migsula
04-10-2007, 21:13
SO getting back to London has been hectic to say the least, but finally I have all the parts I need to try a prototype of the infantry - so expect pics by sunday. I intendt to pay extra attention to basing and poses, but otherwise keep the design quite simple and based on the Necron Warrior limbs. New additions combined with the painting and a much slimmer torso/overall design should really distance it from Necron Warriors.

I also got a copy of the Apocalypse book today :) So lots of brainstorming for the big things going on in my head this weekend.

Apologist
05-10-2007, 09:47
Fantastic – I've been following this log over on Dakkadakka, and I've been really looking forward to your infantry. If they're half as imaginative and well-designed as the larger systems, they'll be incredible.

migsula
07-10-2007, 11:34
Here’s the first prototype for the infantry. A 6pt Gaunt + fleshborer equivalent.

AI infantry prototype notes:
- twar visual template
- the look of existing AI constructs, brainstorm and the mine thing
- Gaunt stat line
- unlike the twar themselves, I need to make dozens of these, so lots of parts and time considerations.
- A design that would allow many variations (I don’t want to make two units that look the same)

I also wanted it to look “cheap” and quick to fix and put together by other AI automations. I want a range of poses, but ones that look like a horde of automated things, so not a “leader type” or someone pointing for example.

As usual the paint job will play a crucial role in tying the thing together and I have a scheme in mind where only the torso and cap has light grey and the rest of the armour plates are dark grey, and all the joints etc. metal. A few very basic markings too of course.

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/86803123/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/86803125/original.jpg

sheep
07-10-2007, 11:46
Amazing mate, that looks fantastic.

Will you be doing different colours stripes, patches to differentiate squads/squad leaders ala Droid troopers from star wars?

Cheers

Sheep

Darkseer
07-10-2007, 12:36
Amazing work.
The scary thing is how quickly you're getting through this stuff.
It's taken me a whole day for just 1 devilfish!

Which country are you from btw?
I'd love to play this army once it's done.

malika
07-10-2007, 13:12
******** cool! Cant wait to see a whole bunch of them done and painted!

migsula
07-10-2007, 13:17
Thanks lads!

Sheep - I will definitely do squad ID markings, even if each squad will be uniquely equipped too. But there will be no sqaud leaders, as all of these are AIs controlled by the TWAR Generals (tyranids) and special infromation systems (zoanthropes).

Darkseer - I am from Finland, but like in London untill next summer because of my studies :) Before I go, I will make sure there's an opportunity for everyone interested to see the lot in real life - which is quite something compared to pictures.

Darkseer
07-10-2007, 13:19
the March CARNAGE tourney would be a good time ;)
You'll probably win a trophy for best army while you're there :D

Jomee
07-10-2007, 14:14
Good stuff, I really like that latest creation.

Endemion
07-10-2007, 18:15
From a very limited source of parts you've created something that fits in with your army, and is markedly different to it's necron base - brilliant

Animerik
07-10-2007, 20:16
Wow... this is the best ideas I´ve seen in a long time maybe ever! the creativity is superb. The painting is top notch and the convertions are mind blowing! I don´t know what to say.... it´s great to see someone to "think outside the box" this inspired me to a carnifex army (that I always dreamd about but couldn´t fin a cool theme). I´m guesing that we will see lot´s off "look alike" to this.... I doubt any will have this godlike quality

keep them coming love all of the stuff

Triggerdog
08-10-2007, 06:26
this army is amazing. You need to make a metal gear though....you could make a Ray and have it count as a Hierophant Bio-Titan.

migsula
08-10-2007, 16:59
this army is amazing. You need to make a metal gear though....you could make a Ray and have it count as a Hierophant Bio-Titan.

I'm really unfamiliar with the anime/gundam world, so don't know what they are exactly. A link? :)

Endemion
08-10-2007, 17:25
They're from the "metal gear solid" Playstation games

migsula
10-10-2007, 09:52
They're from the "metal gear solid" Playstation games

Ok, gotta check them out, thanks.

Apologist
10-10-2007, 10:11
Here’s the first prototype for the infantry. A 6pt Gaunt + fleshborer equivalent.
I also wanted it to look “cheap” and quick to fix and put together by other AI automations. I want a range of poses, but ones that look like a horde of automated things, so not a “leader type” or someone pointing for example.
Wow, Migs – these look great! Nice use of some pretty common parts to give an unusual effect. My only suggestion is to play around with the positioning of the legs. That hunched, bow-legged effect is what's still identifying the piece as a necron to me, so if you can find a way of making them more upright, that'd go a long way to disguising the source model.

As usual the paint job will play a crucial role in tying the thing together and I have a scheme in mind where only the torso and cap has light grey and the rest of the armour plates are dark grey, and all the joints etc. metal. A few very basic markings too of course.

This might look a bit too necron. Have you considered using a weathered white with earthy orange? Think of the rebel pilots from star wars, but not so much orange.

How are you going to paint the 'eye' in the head? Crystal, headlamp, or something else?

Of course, the proof of the pudding's in the eating and all that – so I look forward to seeing a colour scheme test.

migsula
12-10-2007, 17:53
Here are the bases for the first squad. As with the entire project, I am taking my time and really enjoying and detailing them. There's lots of different effects to paint on them too, and plenty of rust which sets off the cool shade of grey blue and clean metals very nicely. Next I'll glue on the legs, some of the poses now dictated to new, more dynamic poses by the basing. I'll then add some vallejo putty and my special mix of sand that consists of GW super tiny particles sand, reals sand from dust really to small stones and small rubble slate. I find the mix ideal for urban basing.

Anyway, a pic, notice the "to be painted blue" marine helmet ;) :

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/87103996/original.jpg

migsula
12-10-2007, 17:55
Apologist - you are entirely right about the legs and I do intend to make a few really upright guys, plus I am modifying and attaching the torso bitz much less hunched and the head is also more upright, with the neck directly under the center of gravity for the head.

I want to keep the painting theme, so cold and similar palette, the eyes will glow and be of the same super bright lemon shade as elsewhere.

migsula
15-10-2007, 21:42
Work continues. Slowly at times, but surely none the less.

I did three custom poses of legs. With the first I cut both legs from the hip joints, with the second one just one leg but also repositioned the ankle/feet and thrid one I built really upright cutting the legs all over the place. No GS required and three new very dynamic poses...quite careful cutting though!! I guess it's going to be easier to work our the extra variety than I thought.

I'll then detail them and take pics tomorrow...what an update that will be. 3 pairs of legs on bases...not the most exciting update I guess [Wink]

I also ripped off the proto guys rifle front after being dissatisfied with it and having a chat with Chuck. The poses are ending up quite special ops-ish, which is quite cool with the skinny robot look IMO. If I can get the rifle front clicking hightech and businesslike, it should be a neat lot. I think I might buy a box of kroot and steal their rifle fronts which I adore. I want to include some Kroot in the army eventually anyway and will replace their weapons with bionics, rag tag merc sets and twar kit anyway.

Thoughts?

sheep
16-10-2007, 01:42
All sounds good to me, and looks great too :D

Cheers

Sheep

Metal Fingered Villain
16-10-2007, 02:52
Man, I think I finally know what I'm doing with the very large box of gundam models I have lying in my basement. These models are extremely dope although I think I will just stick with a nidzilla list. Converting gaunts to a calibre of yours would take eons for me, that and I only have a bunch of gundams, not necrons. Keep this log rockin, its a major source of awe and inspiration.

migsula
19-10-2007, 16:40
New gun - "perfect" now and I have a nice dark grey scheme for it, with some key parts picked up glossy steel and the "charger" parts glowing blue :)

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/87493082/original.jpg

And 4 new poses of legs :) Radically changes the Necrony feel IMO. and were easy and fun to do...just careful and accurate work required, but then isn't that the second name of this hobby.

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/87493097/original.jpg

synapse
19-10-2007, 17:16
love the 'necrons'

Metal Fingered Villain
19-10-2007, 17:55
I'm diggin those new constructs.

sheep
20-10-2007, 00:27
Awesome work as usual, loving the new poses, if only necron players would take the time to do something similar.

Cheers

Sheep

migsula
22-10-2007, 19:06
Today I have a mood board for you.

The first one is of course of the warrior, A collection of pictures I used as an inspiration and guideline when I started, alongise of Transformers material that I'll include a clip of in the presentation. These board are purely for my own use and to communicate the ambition to others. I will do the Doctor and Artist boards too and share them at some point. For the Warrior I've used two art pics copyright of and by wonderfully talented "Goodbrush", a pic of 3d art train that has a lovely scheme, my own PSD rework of Gundam box art, digital camo, real night combat pic from Iraq and last but not the least the Apache - the ultimate war tool - and very crucial inspiration for the feel I want for the warrior's armour and equipment.

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/87694678/original.jpg

As for the AI infantry squad, work continues, but it's surprisingly accuracy and time consuming. For the record the squad includes 160! tiny rivets that need to be exactly in the middle of small joints shaved flat. But I should have them done on schedule ie. by the end of month.

migsula
28-10-2007, 15:39
Today I glued another set of 36 small rivets on the legs and will start work on the torsos. I am running out of time to get the lot finished for the DWAC deadline...but it's not that I've been slacking off, just overloaded with projects - the "TWAR" presentation among them.

Yesterday I finally got me a Wacom [Smile] Intuous3, A5wide. Drool...guess what I have been doing all weekend.

Anyway - This is to show you what I have in mind for the doctor.

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/87992024/original.jpg

HiveTrygon
28-10-2007, 17:06
I dig the doctor mood board. Very clean asthetics by the look of it.

Mato Noupa
29-10-2007, 00:08
Unbelievable Mik!
Awsome stuff once more.
I adore the Transformers feeling you managed to put into these models. :eek:

Keep on the inspiring work!
Philipp

P.S.: Greetings to Atte and the gang.

MF3000
29-10-2007, 01:53
Very nice, this is one of my favourite project logs, thanks for sharing these!

sj

strv
29-10-2007, 02:09
I like the current Robot, but I think the first version of the guns was better.

Where Is the "hunter" from, on the warrior moodboard?

migsula
29-10-2007, 20:54
from an amazing figital artist called "Goodbrush".

Jomee
29-10-2007, 23:34
There is an artist on Deviantart called MechanicalHorizon, he's made stuff for FW in the past. On his favourites list are a lot of mechs, check them out maybe for inspiration. There's dmore stuff like this, but he has some good ones listed in one place.

http://mechanicalhorizon.deviantart.com/favourites/

malika
30-10-2007, 01:47
Im curious, are you going to include Genestealers in this armylist? If so, what can we expect?

Oh, since I see people posting pictures which might be inspirational...how about Malika joining the bandwagon!

Mecha (very cool one (http://marvinmariano.com/images/sketches_mecha01_big.jpg)
Digital Stationed (http://marvinmariano.com/images/digital_stationed_big.jpg)
Old Mecha-02 "Gold" (http://jager375.deviantart.com/art/Old-Mecha-02-quot-Gold-quot-48697332)
Another big thing (http://www.geocities.com/amaclub/images/ky-mecha.jpg)
Blue Mecha (http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/robotics/blue_mecha_p.jpg)
Mecha (http://www.art.net/studios/visual/Bianchi/images/mecha02.gif)
Reed Runner (http://www.3dfiggins.com/scrap/ReedRunner.jpg)
Warhawk (http://blackswordsman28.deviantart.com/art/Warhawk-25794905)
mechanical arm (http://www.starcraft2.com/images/artwork/ss39-hires.jpg)
Weird Mech (but very cool) (http://flyingdebris.deviantart.com/art/Corporate-Assault-mech-45526462)

This picture is quite cool, its Bumbelbee (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/05/CybertronBeecomic.jpg) from the Transformers in his original Cybertronian form, so before he took the form of a car :)

Just some inspirational pics which might be helpful :) Could be useful for Tyranid Warriors. Oh two more suggestions, you might want to create warriors who have a single arm as a gun, the gun made from an Ork shoota barrel but looking like...erm how do I explain this, ok look at this picture (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7c/Saturn_IB_Second_Stage_with_open_LM_adapter.jpg/597px-Saturn_IB_Second_Stage_with_open_LM_adapter.jpg) see the "doors" that are opened? Well imagine that the arm of this warrior is like that too, it can open up and reveal its deadly weapons. You might also want to use the Necron rods (those green things) to make your stuff look more high tech, for example with plasma cannons or some other weird exotic weaponry.

Another idea, perhaps you want to include Tyranid Warriors with wings later on, what about instead of that you have mecha which are very slender and can jump like grasshoppers sort of speak? Long legs, perhaps some exhaust built into its back for that extra boost. I dunno...might be a cool idea to also see units which dont look too humanoid, as in two arms, two legs and a head in somewhat normal human positions and proportions.

malika
30-10-2007, 02:02
Sorry for the double post but I just had to show you this (http://mechamaniac.com), for all you mecha loving people out there...this is just amazing!

Taarnak
30-10-2007, 03:45
I shared this with Migsula over on Dakka I think, but seeing the above post, I thought some people here would like it as well:

http://www.fichtenfoo.com/

Good stuff there. Lots of tips too.

This is where I found that site from:

http://maschinenkrueger.com/forum/

Great board for MaK/SF3D stuff.

~Eric

migsula
30-10-2007, 13:23
Thanks guys!!

Taarnak, FIchten Foo has become my number one inspiration in terms of modelling. Thanks for sharing it. AMAZING models - and such versatility in style.

migsula
30-10-2007, 13:24
Exciting news as the project is taking off to previously unimaginable directions and hopefully levels.

Our school has just gotten two of those digital 3d sculpting tools that GW also uses these days. The RCA Rapidform staff was trained by the same chaps who trained GW sculptors. I am flabbergasted by the possibilities and they are excited about my project as a testing ground. I got to try the tool today – it is amazingly easy to use and will get it for me for several days when I need it.

For example, I can digitally scan say General Splinter, and sculpt/repose a new meaner version and print the parts. It’s more likely I will use the tool to sculpt some parts for the doctor and especially the artist from scratch, print them, carefully had finish them and then add more parts and detail from kitbashing. I can also make black and white bitmaps, of intricate detail and the program makes it 3d for me…say chainmail as an example…or fur even. SO I don’t have to sculpt it all myself.

With these new developments in mind I would like to share the schedule for the rest of the year.

November
Is about learning and diving into these new technologies, and finishing up the AI squad that has been hit with more interesting developments. I will keep you posted on the process – it may be quite interesting to see, despite not being modelling in the traditional sense. It will give you a peek in to what GW does too in away.

There won’t be anything finished this month.

December
Is painting frenzy from finland. I will paint the Ais, make some more, the Assault Fex and build and paint the Hierophant. More if I can cram it. I should have a gaming legal army too and hopefully to test it too.

will see the full development of the Doctor and Artist and the new Warrior stuff for June deadline. Then by September I will have 3000pts of TWAR finished! (remember the Hierophant is 1250pts alone though ;) )

migsula
30-10-2007, 13:26
Malika - the links are much appreciated!!

malika
30-10-2007, 13:56
3d sculpting tool huh, is it like a big machine or something? Im really curious to see how that will work. I can already imagine the potential if they would have those machines in the size for personal use. The creative potential would be immense!

Assault Fex, Im curious what you will do there! You should post the background material you got for them here too! Werent they fighting Tyranids originally? Might be cool to have figures standing on tons of Tyranid corpses, or covered in slime as if they just bursted out of some large Tyranid creature! :evilgrin: Also the irony shouldnt be forgotten here, dead Tyranids on a race that is based on the Tyranid armylist :evilgrin:

Some more inspiration perhaps?
Flying-Droid-Desert-Combat (http://revmachine.deviantart.com/art/Flying-Droid-Desert-Combat-37788971)

Mecha Anics (http://popia.deviantart.com/art/mecha-anics-29652400)

The War Machine (http://greyhole.deviantart.com/art/The-War-Machine-29743044)

Overlord Mech (http://technoscream.deviantart.com/art/Overlord-Mech-27169003)

Jazz and Mirage (http://diablo2003.deviantart.com/art/Transformers-Jazz-and-Mirage-3331227)

migsula
30-10-2007, 14:36
The tool is not big atall - the printing machines are - and both of them are extremely expensive.

I forgot to say that yes, there will be genestealers - but they will be representations of a different hunter system with the ability to morph in to different parts in the material realm.

malika
30-10-2007, 15:08
Sort of similar to how the Warp Spiders jump into the Warp and then into the Materium? Wouldnt this make those hunter systems be vulnerable to Chaos? (yes fluff nut hard at work :p)

migsula
30-10-2007, 16:51
A little like that spotted character in spiderman who could leave these spots to kick and hit out of :) Yes it would... and as the fluff piece in the beginning suggests, the Morpher is tainted and treated with utmost suspicion by other TWAR.

However - I am still undecided on the concept of soul and wheter or not twar are actually Pariah's (and also completely unable as psykers.)

migsula
30-10-2007, 16:54
Malika,

I really like the suggestion with Tyranid corpses on the bases and even more possible interaction on some models. I have a few ideas on this that might see light. Good suggestion mate! Too bad nobody in my group plays Nids... Maybe It's time I tease Marco Schultze a little ;) And exterminate some Hivefleet Moloch.

malika
30-10-2007, 16:59
So is there perhaps a bit of truth that the Morpher is slowly becoming corrupted? Maybe they arent immune to Chaos but are not that...well not that sensitive to it. Daemons would rather take Eldar or Humans because they are bright lights in the Warp compared to the dim vagueness the TWAR might be.

However if they would be Pariahs it would be very possible that the Warp is actually dangerous to them right? Perhaps the TWAR could get trapped in the warp if they dont jump out quickly enough, which makes me wonder, how can a Pariah see/feel the Warp strong enough to create the technology to jump in and out of it? The spacefolding the Necrons seem to be able to might be a bit too high tech for the TWAR, I mean giving them too powerful technology would make them potential giant players in the 40k universe and for some reason I still imagine them to be relatively a minor race in the 40k universe.

Malika,

I really like the suggestion with Tyranid corpses on the bases and even more possible interaction on some models. I have a few ideas on this that might see light. Good suggestion mate! Too bad nobody in my group plays Nids... Maybe It's time I tease Marco Schultze a little And exterminate some Hivefleet Moloch.
Hmm wasnt he the one with that Nid army consisting of many large models? Ive seen his stuff...very impressive!

malika
08-11-2007, 23:16
Hmm, Im worried that this awesome thread is going to get forgotten :(

Some more inspiring pictures?
Giant mech/artillery (http://www.geocities.com/amaclub/images/ff-desmon-4.jpg)
Macross mecha (http://www.toysnjoys.com/macrosstoys/macross.jpg)
Megatron (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mathewignash/images/csmegatron7.jpg)

Inquisitor Konig
08-11-2007, 23:52
Your Robots look ******* scary man... I would love to play against them but I would feel bad for my IG...

Inquis. Jaeger
10-11-2007, 00:38
Great stuff. Any chance of an update? Really like the look of your work - very creative indeed. The infantry models remind me of the Hunters in Half-Life 2 Ep 2

EmMeTt
10-11-2007, 01:15
There is a cool clip on you tube with robots http://youtube.com/watch?v=SDYwDZQsYM0.

malika
10-11-2007, 10:27
http://www.dchiang.com/dchiang_flash.html Then go to Robota! Amazing stuff man!

EmMeTt
10-11-2007, 13:43
Yeah, I've got the book, I could scan some pictures if you like? Wait, am I allowed to?

malika
10-11-2007, 14:12
If you PM them to me...I dont think you are allowed to post them in public ;)

malika
13-11-2007, 20:28
Hey Migsula, as always I will try to inspire you with more pics ;)

Some amazing art by flyingdebris:
-Oppressor Redux (http://flyingdebris.deviantart.com/art/Oppressor-Redux-38868302)
-Komodo (http://flyingdebris.deviantart.com/art/Komodo-36039399)
-Mecha concepts (http://flyingdebris.deviantart.com/art/Mecha-concepts-32536224)
-Exo Suit (http://flyingdebris.deviantart.com/art/Exo-suit-21112881)
-Opperssor MK IV (http://flyingdebris.deviantart.com/art/Opperssor-MK-IV-21112258)
-I-Mech (http://flyingdebris.deviantart.com/art/I-Mech-48356958)

Combination of Sentinel legs with a Tau armour pieces would be excellent, add bits from Imperial weaponry/engines to make it look more detailled. Ork barrels and ammorounds would also look really cool!

Malika is annoying on a tuesday evening :p

migsula
29-11-2007, 23:19
It's been silent - super busy with other design work - but I am soon united with my paints and then not long till the Xmas break and plenty of updates.

I will post something painted next week :)

Endemion
30-11-2007, 05:45
Cool, was getting worried there for a while

migsula
06-12-2007, 19:16
So, finally the blog is moving again - I am with my paints and have a few hours here and there. :)

Here's the Ai-trooper Prototype. 20 or so to go then. There's another pic just for size comparison.

(EDIT: the forum is resizing the pics, so go here for the proper one: http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/89973724)

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/89973724/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/89973735/original.jpg

LMK what you think. I ordered some new, my first, Series 7 brushes, as the hair of the ones I've used for the past 5 or so years are too long for the kind of fast/painterly style I paint with these days. The metal also wear out brushes faster.

MF3000
06-12-2007, 19:28
Damn good sir, it's impressive. Now let's see this 'army' lol. (not doubting your skills in anyway :) )

sj

malika
07-12-2007, 00:24
Ah, you're back...I was almost getting worried here! That AI warrior is amazing, it doesnt look too Necron...I can still sort of recognise the Necron Warrior torso, but it doesnt look like a Necron Warrior :)

roadrippers
07-12-2007, 16:36
http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/89973724/original.jpg

This figure rocks! he's inventive and i love the concept! You should have a go with some of the other necron figures :p

migsula
08-12-2007, 15:05
Thanks guys! Good to be working with the project again :)

migsula
15-12-2007, 19:32
I begun working on the Doctor "TWAR" yesterday. He'll be much more organic in feel and using parts from this kit, but heavily converted, with scratchbuilt, sort of integrating operating table to the doc itself, and get two or three AI nurses to help him do surgery...I am playing with the thought of modeling the patient too, a badly wounded/exposed Archonite. The doc and stuff will get a cream/lightgreen scheme, with some gold and silver and some metal/pearl like (car paint like finishes) or so I hope.

http://www.pbase.com/image/90349646/original.jpg

keep your eye on the wip Gallery for updates. I'll post a proper update here when he and the staff are ready for prime.

Triggerdog
16-12-2007, 08:32
I dont know alot about Gundam but that beast of a robot just looks obscene. A few suggestions (demands) that I have though:

1) Metal Gear Ray
2) Metal Gear Rex
3) The new, baby 'Gears from MGS4
4) Metal Gear Arsenal

sweet army though, I really like the "Zoanthrope" thing and the infantry trooper alot.

migsula
17-12-2007, 22:09
I've also begun working on the second Heavy Carni :) This one will be quite different to the first, but the collar, and to be built powerpack will be tie ins. It will get even bigger legs (from a new kit I am getting for Xmas) that will house small jets, to rep a "parachuting" mechanism...or "mycetic spores". The base will be very industrial in feel, so I am adding mesh etc. and mainly metallics and warnings chevrons paintjob. I will try something different in the paint too, new weathering tricks and a slightly different scheme.

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/90459323/original.jpg

Heru Talon
18-12-2007, 00:38
You should do a Super Heavy variant for Apocalypse games, either using a scratch built datasheet or one of the Tyranid supersized beasts for counts as.

migsula
18-12-2007, 08:01
You should do a Super Heavy variant for Apocalypse games, either using a scratch built datasheet or one of the Tyranid supersized beasts for counts as.

I am doing a Hierophant from a 1/100 gundam kit, defiler bits and plenty of kitbashing :)You can read about the plans somewhere in the blog :)

Asi the Red
18-12-2007, 08:25
So I looked through this thread and thought to myself, "Self, I would like to receive updates from this most excellent log."
And therefore I am subscribed.

migsula
01-01-2008, 17:00
Some wip pics of the doctor bases and Ai-assistants. As soon as I find suitable wire and can finish the detailing, I will paint these. The scheme will be white/yellow/green/gold, but with lowsaturated palette. I am quite happy with the bases particularly, the AIs will take some more work and the paint to really show what I am after and how the structure makes sense through the materials/colors.

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/91074927/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/91074937/original.jpg

I've also almost built the heavy carni - so please if anyone has WW feet!!!

migsula
01-01-2008, 17:01
BIG PETITION FOR WARWALKER FEET!!
I have a new, massive Carnifex ready apart from the head. I need some more warwalker feet! A few people were kind enough to offer me some, but then the packages never arrived :( This the only really "weird/rare"part I need repeatedly, but 3 come for each WW, so people should have extras lying about. I can pay for them.

1truegod
02-01-2008, 10:18
You have brought together two things i love in this world, gundams and 40k. They are amazing i must salute you for your work. The picture between the normal trooper and the TWAR battlesuit above is the best by far as it shows the monsters size
Sorry about the feet problem hope that u get over it soon

sLai
15-01-2008, 14:23
One of the top 5 modelling logs in WS (ever?)

Really nice stuff, inspirational and adding a new touch to Wh40k!

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
15-01-2008, 16:05
What sLai said

silveryfox
17-01-2008, 21:44
Wow! I'm really inspired! Is it 1:144 size you use? Where do you order from? I looked at Ebay, some kits are really expenisve. Do you have any tips for a first time buyer?

I have had the same problem as you, like the ruleset for nids but don't really like the alien thing.

migsula
31-01-2008, 21:23
Hi Guys,

Just an update to not hold your breath for updates. My life has been completely highjacked by my studies and work, so the TWAR are very mch in the backburner for the time being. I have not lost interest, it is simply impossible to fit in my schedule at the moment. I intend to finish all the Doctor things during my Easter brake, then have a nother break before fully getting my life back in June :)

So untill Easter and sorry for the delay - the second half of 2008 will be TWARtastic :)

migsula
12-07-2008, 18:15
I am now MA RCA and back in business!!!! :D

To get straight into 5th ed action there's a big push to get the lot gaming legal, hence some more AI infantry on the way.
http://www.pbase.com/image/100049599/original.jpg

Check out the latest news in detail at:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/175638.page

I'll start updating this blog too from today onwards.

escobar
12-07-2008, 18:28
congratulations! hope show went well - missed it this year : (

you DP, IDE or DI? - been trying to figure this out while following this thread for the last year or so. Great plog and good to have you back - looking forward to seeing whats up your sleeve...

malika
13-07-2008, 02:24
You is back? Totally awesome!!! I checked the thread on the Dakkadakka board, love the background...however I do think you've fallen a bit in the "cliché" many fan made races tend to have of trying to overpower them. So while the idea is kick ass that they can stand their ground against the Tyranids and give them a hard punch, I think it's a bit too much to see Hivefleet Leviathan change it's course just for one world of mechanical aliens. Perhaps the reason why these aliens are also moving into the Imperium is because they have to fall back from the Hivefleets who are devouring more and more places of the resources which the Archtroni so desperately need to survive.

How do they exist anyway, I mean...how do machines reproduce, would it be like AI sort of Ghost in the Shell like in which two cyborg plan to fuse their minds together. Or would there still be original organic component to these liveforms which slowly disappears the more technological they get or something like that?

JMMelo
13-07-2008, 05:31
Man, your ideas just gave me the incentive I need to get back to 40K... I love your "necron" soldiers...

codename_greendawn
13-07-2008, 07:51
Holy cow, that's supercalafreakingawesome!

I'm seriously looking forward to updates on this subject! The rifle conversion on your troops is a stroke of genius (which I may have to borrow for a one-off conversion), but I think I prefer it with the bolter end - makes it looks more chunky and menacing.

migsula
13-07-2008, 09:26
congratulations! hope show went well - missed it this year : (

you DP, IDE or DI? - been trying to figure this out while following this thread for the last year or so. Great plog and good to have you back - looking forward to seeing whats up your sleeve...

Thanks - it did go very well!

I am DP, actually showed TWAR as one of 6 projects in my final exam. Very different to other stuff I do.

migsula
13-07-2008, 09:30
Thanks guys! I'm so happy to be back modeling/painting, and 5th edition is such a welcome boost for gaming side of things.

I agree on the fluff comments, still need to tweak them - there's a place in the universe for smaler, but even more cunning player - and it's not the fan fiction, it's the GW fiction that makes us think on such a crazy scale, where everyone and everything means utter doom to the galaxy ;)

malika
13-07-2008, 11:00
The problem is that GW does it every time, which means that most fan races have that same problem. Only exceptions are probably the Tau and Kroot and maybe all those other minor Xenos races which don't have armylists or models.

I'm really inspired by what I'm seeing here, lately I've been working on a scratchbuilt Ork fleet for BFG with using no GW bit whatsoever (on principle), perhaps I might try to build one T.W.A.R. machine like that purely with small pieces of plastic and metal bits. Just need to get my hands on tons of bits and bites when I come back from vacations! :)

migsula
14-07-2008, 15:53
Just finished painting the new Psychological Warfare AIs. I still need to do some chalk weathering on the bases and then varnish the new duo.

Here be pics:

http://www.pbase.com/image/100153845/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/100154124/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/100154156/original.jpg

and to see them in full resolution incase the forum cuts them again:

www.pbase.com/migsula

I'm so excited to feel the army growing again.

hiveminion
14-07-2008, 16:14
Good to see some more of these again, it's such an awesome army. Great work on the OSL on the AI to the right. The weathering is excellent too.

migsula
14-07-2008, 20:55
Thanks.

The plan is to have a gaming legal, circa 1000pts by August 9th and then 1500pts by September :)

MF3000
14-07-2008, 23:46
Oh wow those are amazing! They are the Zoanthropes correct? It seems obvious, but I thought I should ask.

Brilliant conception and execution.

sj

malika
15-07-2008, 00:15
Are you still going to make that Titan? You know you want to... :evilgrin:

What are you going to add when expanding to 1500 pts?

Oh oh oh oh this army gets me all excited again, makes me want to build some of these thing for my own!

sheep
15-07-2008, 06:18
Fantastic as always Migs, good to see you back in the flow of painting, RL can be such an annoyance sometimes :)

Cheers

Sheep

migsula
15-07-2008, 16:49
This is the list I am more or less building towards (and yes there will be a titan!!! Hierophant to be exact, and I have a 1/100 scale kit and defiler legs as conversion fodder alread - other TWAR are based on 1/144 kits!)

Anyway the list:

T.W.A.R - System "Splinter Cell"

" Splinter" (1#, 227 Pts)
1 TWAR General @ 227 Pts
Adrenal Glands +1 In; Adrenal Glands +1 WS; Enhanced Senses +1 BS; Flesh Hooks; Implant Attack; Toxin Sacs +1 St; Winged; Scything Talons (x1); Twin-linked Devourer (x1); Synapse Creature; The Horror; Warp Field

HQ: Hive Tyrant (1#, 158 Pts)
1 Hive Tyrant @ 158 Pts
Enhanced Senses +1 BS; Extended Carapace +1 Save; Implant Attack; Toxin Sacs +1 St; Twin-linked Devourer (x2); Synapse Creature; The Horror

"Night-Creeper" (1#, 80 Pts)
1 Hunter-System @ 80 Pts
Feeder Tendrils; Flesh Hooks; Rending Claws; Scything Talons

Elite: Carnifex (1#, 113 Pts)
1 Carnifex @ 113 Pts
Enhanced Senses +1 BS; Twin-linked Devourer (x2)

Elite: Carnifex (1#, 113 Pts)
1 Carnifex @ 113 Pts

Troops: Genestealers (6#, 126 Pts)
6 Genestealers @ 126 Pts
Extended Carapace +1 Save; Feeder Tendrils; Rending Claws

Troops: Ai-Tactical Rifle 1 (10#, 60 Pts)
10 Gaunt Brood @ 60 Pts
Fleshborer

Troops: Gaunt Brood (9#, 45 Pts)
9 Gaunt Brood @ 45 Pts
Spinefists

Heavy Support: IAPW-Ai (3#, 135 Pts)
1 comms @ 135 Pts
Toxic Miasma; Synapse Creature; Warp Field
1 psychWAR @ [45] Pts
Toxic Miasma; Psychic Scream; Warp Field
1 psychWAR @ [45] Pts
Toxic Miasma; Psychic Scream; Warp Field

"Rampart" (1#, 218 Pts)
1 Arsenal System @ 218 Pts
Adrenal Glands +1 In; Adrenal Glands +1 WS; Bonded Exoskeleton; Enhanced Senses +1 BS; Extended Carapace +1 Save; Reinforced Chitin; Barbed Strangler; Venom Cannon

Heavy Support: Carnifex (1#, 223 Pts)
1 Carnifex @ 223 Pts
Adrenal Glands +1 In; Adrenal Glands +1 WS; Bonded Exoskeleton; Enhanced Senses +1 BS; Extended Carapace +1 Save; Reinforced Chitin; Spine Banks; Barbed Strangler; Venom Cannon

Total Roster Cost: 1498

malika
16-07-2008, 00:21
I'm so curious how you will model the rest of your army! Too bad I won't be able to come on here from next week on for like a month or so...right when you are popping back with crazy new goodies!

sheep
16-07-2008, 07:08
Looks very heavy in the TMC department, but thats not a bad thing :D Look forward to what you are going to be using for the genestealers.

Cheers

Sheep

migsula
16-07-2008, 12:34
Looks very heavy in the TMC department,

Wasn't that always a given, when the whole army concept was to build big ass "robots" ;)

sheep
17-07-2008, 04:16
:D true, i was just thinking for the purposes of 5th ed, only troops being able to capture objectives, and each TMC is a kill point.

But yes, it seems pretty obvious now :D

Cheers

Sheep

malika
17-07-2008, 09:21
Hmm, when looking at it like that (and from a background perspective) I assume that the Archtroni would almost work like a Tyranid army: a horde army (AI's) lead by synapse creatures (T.W.A.R.'s). The background mentioned that the Archtroni are few in number so I assume they would field way more AI units in so that they could preserve their own numbers.

Still curious about that "biological" Archtroni though, I mean what is their original form before they become these machines? (as you may or may not have noticed I'm very intrigued with looking into their background)

Also...if there would be a fleet for these guys...BFG Tyranid rules would be more fitting right? :evilgrin: *ponders ponders ponders*

migsula
17-07-2008, 11:42
The way I see it, there are two reasons for the existence of the AI troops:
1. to give numbers as you say
2. to enable TWAR fight in the confines of human cities and habitation, where smaller creatures are used to "tunnel rat" enemy out of hiding and to keep ground.

With different war fronts, different AIs will be created too.

5th ed will be slightly problematic, but you still win if you kill everything ;) + TWAR forces like this are never meant for holding ground.

I see the TWAR host form as a machine too, just a living, morphing "core" that stores it's sentient ability (intelligence far superseding humans) and requires the designed battleform around it (for life support, energy, mobility..).

malika
17-07-2008, 23:26
I see the TWAR host form as a machine too, just a living, morphing "core" that stores it's sentient ability (intelligence far superseding humans) and requires the designed battleform around it (for life support, energy, mobility..).
Hmm, so it would probably be that first there was a biological lifeform which created the first TWAR host or some sort of AI, but instead of an Artificial Intelligence it became something more, an artificial lifeform, which also became the next stage of evolution of that species. The organics were discarded and the machine became the basic form of life for these species.

2. to enable TWAR fight in the confines of human cities and habitation, where smaller creatures are used to "tunnel rat" enemy out of hiding and to keep ground.
So curious what kind of AI you are going to create to represent Ripper swarms!

migsula
18-07-2008, 08:39
http://www.pbase.com/image/100335804/original.jpg

NEARLY THERE!!! priming that is...these are actually a joy to paint. Only rivets to arm joints and gun barrels and priming time!

migsula
21-07-2008, 12:53
Guys, I need some help, please.

I urgently need you extra warwalker feet! (each kit comes with three and you need two)

I pay 5 usd per feet + postage! (paypal)

sheep
22-07-2008, 08:11
Wish i could help mate, I'll help by putting this back on the front page ;)

Can't wait to see the AI's painted.

Cheers

Sheep

Triggerdog
22-07-2008, 14:51
I sent you a PM

malika
22-07-2008, 16:15
I´ve only got the old metal warwalker which does not have separate feet. However you could chop them up and maybe use the weapons for other T.W.A.R. machines...

Well...first I would have to find the bugger of course and since I´m on holidays now that would be kind of impossible.

migsula
10-08-2008, 16:02
Here's circa 1300pts of TWAR and several new additions! Huzzah! I hope it's been worth your wait! (the pics are resized due to forum software, please check the link at the bottom - cheers)

http://www.pbase.com/image/101449842/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/image/101449844/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/image/101449846/original.jpg

all the rest of the pics (detail shots of the new ones etc.!) can be seen here:

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/mechzilla

LMK what you think.

Next up is a "screamer killer" fex - inspired by a Dwarf Daemon Slayer, he'll have a roaring mouth revealing a plasmacannon system and two huge axes and the build is very squat. After that - it's just more troops and more troops :)

xedric
10-08-2008, 16:56
This is such a great army! Congrats to finishing something this awesome :)

migsula
10-08-2008, 19:40

I am quite happy now, I left them on my desk after the photoshoot, posing on the ruins. It'se been a lot of work, but now adding to it will feel fun and relaxed.

migsula
11-08-2008, 11:55
Use the link everyone, there's plenty more pics the software didn't let me post :)

All comments/crit welcome!

MF3000
11-08-2008, 12:19
Totally awesome stuff. I think this has got to be one of the best 'reimagination' of the 40k universe - I understand this is actually injection of your ideas into the 40k world, but ... frag it... great work anyways!

sj

sheep
11-08-2008, 14:36
Great to finally see some more progress on this army mate, and such a massive update too. The quantity and the quality of the work are simple awesome.

Bravo.

Cheers

Sheep

malika
12-08-2008, 00:49
Totally awesome stuff you got there man! Love those new ones, not so sure about Salvo´s legs but otherwise kick ass!

I´ve been contemplating about creating one of these for myself...perhaps not in 40k scale, but sort of as a tribute to this race of alien machines. I´m toying with the idea of some machine version of a centaur (kind of like the character Den (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/70/BAA08_105_Den_centaur.jpg) from Battle Angel Alita) but with a`Cthulu (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/Cthulhu_and_R%27lyeh.jpg) styled head which tentacles would be mechanical tubes.

Just need to figure out what materials and such to use for it...

And then there is the potential of a T.W.A.R. fleet for BFG :evilgrin:

migsula
16-08-2008, 19:51
Thanks lads!

It's getting close to the "good times" part of every project where the army is mostly done and you can start adding wackier and wackier things, which in this case means Apocalypse!!

There will be a minor brake though, as the new Marine Dex means additions to my Crescent guard, which deserves a separate blog.

migsula
25-09-2008, 12:19
I'm building the twin Axe TWAR this week. Got a real bad hit to my thigh yesterday in practice so no bball for the rest of the week. This is a quick window before more Crescent Guard stuff.

I've built two huge custom axes and most of the head that looks wickedly Slaaneshi/DoomSireny. I also found away to build the twin pistol AIs fast on reversed TAU drones, so that they fit the look of my army very well, and clear room for cooler infantry after wards. I'll try to push through them by Xmas, so I have fully TWAR and tourny legal force that is very optimisd to my playing style. I'm desperate to get more games in to my schedule. I absolutely love how this army plays...and the list I had was far from optimised, and now it is - just right for my playing style too.

migsula
30-09-2008, 08:19
Had some games on sunday with my little brother. 1st 4 objects game, then Kill points, both with Pitched Battle deployment. We switched armies in between, which was as insightful as playing against your army always is. For game one I gave a thorough introduction to both armies and explained the different tactical options and deployment in particular.

Ofcourse I forgot to bring my camera, but Iphone came to a rscue of sorts:

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/103866105/original.jpg

and few more:

http://www.pbase.com/migsula/finishedtwar&page=3

sheep
30-09-2008, 09:33
Who won? Great looking armies too :D

Cheers

Sheep

migsula
04-03-2009, 15:59
After a lovely foray into skirmish gaming "=I=munda" campaigns and the related modeling, I'm getting back to 40k with an eye on a few easter tournaments.

Here's a WIP shot of the Screamer Killer, the latest TWAR system.

http://homepage.mac.com/mikael.silvanto/.Pictures/P1050995.JPG

After playing with MIG pigments on some test basing, I'll add a finishing layer of MIG on all the TWAR after the new stuff is done and varnished - with these pigments the earth looks exactly like real, dusty, war torn, earth :)

In other news, I'm going to bulk build 24 spine gaunt equivalents and a stealer system.

warhound
04-03-2009, 16:08
In other news, I'm going to bulk build 24 spine gaunt equivalents and a stealer system

Oh how that made me laugh- so flippantly thrown in there, much in the same guise as UK local TV news..:

"And in other news, Betty made a pancake"

Great Work Mig- been missing your creative edge with this one! Always a pleasure to see your work man!

cheers
W

migsula
04-03-2009, 18:54
Thanks mate.

Well, thing is, building so many factory style feels as mundane as the ITV news :D

sheep
05-03-2009, 05:33
Great too see you back, loved the =][= munda stuff too. That blue guy has a touch of optimus prime to me, thats a good thing :)

Cheers

Sheep

migsula
05-03-2009, 06:45
Thanks Sheep. Been checking out your awesome guard along the way to keep the 40k excitement!

The blue "warpaint" color (even if in TWAR's case the application is rather precise) here marks him out as something of a Dwarf Slayer type of character (overall tht was the inspiration for him, twin axes and shortened legs etc.) and it's a nice variety. When I get around making Tyrant guard, I will use even more blue :) Unless I decide they would be highly developed AI instead of TWAR that is.

Dio´Ra
05-03-2009, 07:17
Hmmmm add eyes and a captains hat to your screamer killer and we have sturm from advance wars :p

besides the painting looks real great on it....just not a big fan of the screamer part....wouldn't two oversized speakers on his shoulders not be less practical and more awesome? :cool:

whitewookiee
05-03-2009, 10:10
wow man wow i absolutly love the mecs they just look so god damn cool one thing that has inspired me tho. useing the mecs gatling gunf as the gun for the punishers turret for the new gaurd i think itwould look so cool.

this is one of my favorate logs man cheeres for sharing it.

[sgt.Harris](voltarian)
05-03-2009, 20:16
Wow i am so happy i found this log :D

its really good and i want to buy some of those gundam kits now :p

subscribed.

migsula
14-03-2009, 18:08
Group shot of what's done so far. Collecting bitz for infantry now. I really want to paint some heavy IG armor and apply what I've learned with this project + new experiments... Those of you who have followed my "Legion" blog at dakka (link in my sig) will know why and can expect to see results sooner than later.

http://homepage.mac.com/mikael.silvanto/.Pictures/P1050996.JPG

Ardanwen
14-03-2009, 18:43
Simply love it.:cool:

Metal Fingered Villain
14-03-2009, 19:09
DOPE. Your weathering is great man, these are inspiring.

Mega Nutz
14-03-2009, 20:19
Awesome stuff and sooooooooo different!

sheep
15-03-2009, 00:15
I would love to see some armour painted by you mate.

Cheers

Sheep

migsula
17-03-2009, 10:41
Ok, I got to put a lid on Legion for a while. Less than month to go until the tournament :)

The Gene-Stealers will be based on the Tau stealth suit kit. I'm thinking of buying 3 boxes for a squad of nine. Gets me some more drones too?? My friends are helping me out with excess drones too. They will be converted into spinefist ai.

I've been looking at the models, and it should be a fairly simple conversion. Wolverine style claws, new mono sight eye and some of those mouth cables that my Lictor also has. Some filing down of detail and panels into more fitting to TWAR and nice scenic bases of course.

Darker scheme like on the Lictor, but with little bit of the light greyblue and flat blue for marking them out. Possibly some blood on the wolverine claws.

Slobomeister
17-03-2009, 10:51
You really got some heavy stuff going on, migsula! This awesome log and then there is the whole =I=munda stuff going on too! I am impressed by your commitment to the hobby and the constantly fresh sea of ideas that you can create. Looking forward to the Gene-Stealers/suit stuff, sounds very fitting.

Slobo

fluffstalker
17-03-2009, 13:46
Hey mig, I really like what youve done wth your army, and the determined way in which you work purely from a modelling perspectivet yet still make a functional list with which you can show off your models in combat.

Im a gamer first, a hobbiest second, so I cant find anything to critizcize with your models but perhaps your list is low on scoring units? The Batrep you posted a few pages back Looked pretty interesting, could we perhaps get an army blog to see how this army is doing tactically, as from a hobby perspective its pretty much fantastic. Its one feeling to make a beautiful TWAR mech, and another towatch it bash enemies around on the tabletop :P.

migsula
17-03-2009, 16:22
Im a gamer first, a hobbiest second, so I cant find anything to critizcize with your models but perhaps your list is low on scoring units? The Batrep you posted a few pages back Looked pretty interesting, could we perhaps get an army blog to see how this army is doing tactically, as from a hobby perspective its pretty much fantastic. Its one feeling to make a beautiful TWAR mech, and another towatch it bash enemies around on the tabletop :P.

Thanks,

Yeah, there's lots of infantry in the works to fix that. I've used stand in tau drones for some practise games. I like gaming too. In fact, I've finished 7th overall in the UK GT finals in 03 and 3rd quite a few times in local tournaments which at times are more HC in terms of lists than anything else out there. I haven't played much fitfh though, what with the skirmish/narrative game called =I=munda we've coocked up with friends.

Here's the 1500pts list, a nice balance between options for modeling and really strong on the table!

1500 Pts - Tyranids Roster - TWAR-Systems 00110100111010100001

"Splinter" (1#, 233 Pts)
1 Hive Tyrant @ 233 Pts
Adrenal Glands +1 In; Adrenal Glands +1 WS; Enhanced Senses +1 BS; Flesh Hooks; Implant Attack; Toxic Miasma; Toxin Sacs +1 St; Winged; Scything Talons (x1); Twin-linked Devourer (x1); Synapse Creature; The Horror; Warp Field

"Mercury" (1#, 194 Pts)
1 Hive Tyrant @ 194 Pts
Adrenal Glands +1 WS; Enhanced Senses +1 BS; Extended Carapace +1 Save; Flesh Hooks; Implant Attack; Toxin Sacs +1 St; Twin-linked Devourer (x1); Venom Cannon; Synapse Creature; The Horror

"NightCreeper" (1#, 80 Pts)
1 Lictor @ 80 Pts
Feeder Tendrils; Flesh Hooks; Rending Claws; Scything Talons

"BeeSwat" (1#, 113 Pts)
1 Carnifex @ 113 Pts

"DevilSlayer" (1#, 113 Pts)
1 Carnifex @ 113 Pts
Adrenal Glands +1 WS; Bio-plasma; Scything Talons (x2)

1st Ai Infantry (typeRR) (10#, 90 Pts)
10 Gaunt Brood @ 90 Pts
Fleshborer; Without Number

2nd Ai Infantry (typeP) (8#, 40 Pts)
8 Gaunt Brood @ 40 Pts
Spinefists

3rd Ai Infantry (typeP) (8#, 40 Pts)
8 Gaunt Brood @ 40 Pts
Spinefists

4th Ai Infantry (typeP) (8#, 40 Pts)
8 Gaunt Brood @ 40 Pts
Spinefists

"Rampart" (1#, 212 Pts)
1 Carnifex @ 212 Pts
Adrenal Glands +1 WS; Bonded Exoskeleton; Enhanced Senses +1 BS; Extended Carapace +1 Save; Reinforced Chitin; Barbed Strangler; Venom Cannon

"Salvo" (1#, 212 Pts)
1 Carnifex @ 212 Pts
Adrenal Glands +1 WS; Bonded Exoskeleton; Enhanced Senses +1 BS; Extended Carapace +1 Save; Reinforced Chitin; Barbed Strangler; Venom Cannon

PIW-Ai (2) (2#, 130 Pts)
2 Zoanthrope @ 130 Pts
Toxic Miasma; Synapse Creature; Warp Blast; Warp Field

Total Roster Cost: 1497

to add for 250pts vould be:

65pts one more Zoanthrope, which are handy little buggers.

126pts for 6 armoured + tendril "Stealers"

and 12pts to play with.

migsula
17-03-2009, 20:10
For tonight's progress, here's phase one of the basing factory. 4 object markers, 2 times 10 gaunts and 6 stealers (is the current plan)

Next comes the models on, in poses fitting the basing, then detail on bases and finally sand and sandy paste.

http://homepage.mac.com/mikael.silvanto/.Pictures/P1060005.JPG