PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Bretonnia: Friendly/All Comers List

Lord Dralnu
01-08-2007, 22:23
This army is for my father who is new to wargaming in general. I myself am new to fantasy, and even then my forte is with TK not Brets. Nevertheless, I've tried to read up on as much Bret tactics as I could find in hopes of putting together a fun and balanced list for my dad to play. Here would be that list:

Macmorr's Crusade

Lords

Duke Connor Macmorr
Bretonnian Lord @ 265 Pts
General; Lance; Heavy Armour; Grail Vow
Sword of the Lady's Champion
The Grail Shield
Virtue of Confidence (1st)
Mounted on Warhorse (Barding)

Heroes

1 Paladin Battle Standard Bearer @ 124 Pts
Heavy Armour; Battle Standard Bearer; Knightly Vow
Virtue of Duty (1st)
Sword of Might
Mounted on Warhorse (Barding)

1 Damsel of the Lady @ 165 Pts
Magic Level 2
Dispel Scroll
Dispel Scroll
Mounted on Warhorse

Core

8 Knights of the Realm @ 241 Pts
Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; Full Command
War Banner

8 Knights of the Realm @ 216 Pts

9 Knights Errant @ 221 Pts
Errantry Banner

25 Men-at-Arms @ 130 Pts
Halberd; Light Armour; Shield; Musician

12 Peasant Bowmen @ 77 Pts
Longbow; Braizers

11 Peasant Bowmen Skirmishers @ 77 Pts
Longbow

3 Pegasus Knights @ 175 Pts
Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; Musician

5 Grail Knights @ 220 Pts

1 Field Trebuchet @ 90 Pts

Casting Pool: 4
Dispel Pool: 3
Models in Army: 88
Total Army Cost: 2001

Lord rides with the KotR w/ war banner. Paladin rides with the other KotR unit. Damsel rides with the GK unit to add her magic resistance to the unit. Suggestions on deployment would be greatly appreciated. Please leave any questions, comments, and any constructive criticism.

Malorian
01-08-2007, 23:15
First of all brets are all about the charge, so don't waste points on defensive items. If you charge and they still have a front rank you did something wrong. So don't bother with grail shield on the lord. I give mine the silver lance and vow that gives you an extra attack (forgot the name). 5 auto str 6 hits are nasty.

The damsel is also a waste for two reasons: 1. scroll caddies shouldn't be lvl 2 (you won't get anything off anyway. And 2. I've found that since I'm charging turn two, you don't lose enough models to magic to validate the point spent on stopping it. And iff the opponent doesn't have magic you just wasted a lot of points.

Your bowmen are also a problem. Get the points to make them all skirmishing. Then you an always fire with all of them in cramped space (rememebr you'll have lances moving up and blocking LOS) and they are more mobile.

I'm not a fan of M@A, but a unit is nice to guard war machines.

Finally those grail knights are nice, but becauseful to guard them from missile fire... that's a lot of points for 5 wounds. And if your lord isn't going here then why does he have the grail vow?

(I'm not trynig to be harsh, I'm just trying to help)

By the way my Brets are 27-2-3 ; )

MarcoPollo
02-08-2007, 01:23
I agree with the comment about the grail shield. Only use this with a griffon or a peg mount. Similarly, he is spot on about the grail vow on your general. He has ld 9 and you can use other cheaper hero's for your grail unit.

I also agree on the lv 2 on the scroll caddy. She only needs to be level 1. Use those points elsewhere and don't expect much from her. Although the brets only have to worry about 1 or 2 rounds before they charge, magic can still be a bane. A scroll caddy is fine, but I would just keep her in that huge unit of skirmishing bowmen to help screen your knights with her magic resistance (so no horse). Don't worry about her too much in the bowmen unit. If the bowmen get charged just place her at the end of the line when your skirmishers rank up.

For the men at arms, you should give them full command. It is cheap and they don't give VP for a lost standard. Similarly, a standard with the bowmen makes them just that little bit more durable, having a musician also helps when those peasants flee. I think 16 is a good number, as they will usually hit on 4's/5's and wound on 4's/5's. That's between 2 and 4 unsaved wounds per round. Usually enough to cause a panic on those pesky, cheap units that get in the way of your knights getting to their more meaty targets.

Also, surpised I don't see mounted yeomen anywhere. Although fragile to ranged fire, they can be a very versatile support unit.

I am not as experienced with bret's as the person before me, but my chaos win ratio, is about the same as the one above.

FarmerJoe16
06-08-2007, 03:16
Also there is a problem with ur lord. if he has the grail vow, im pretty sure he cant join any units with the knight's vow or the questing vow. So pretty much if he has the grail vow, you would have to put him into the Grail Knights unit or he can be alone.

Malorian
06-08-2007, 03:42
Also there is a problem with ur lord. if he has the grail vow, im pretty sure he cant join any units with the knight's vow or the questing vow. So pretty much if he has the grail vow, you would have to put him into the Grail Knights unit or he can be alone.

Not so. A lower vow can't join a higher, but as higher can join a lower. That's why I used to like having a questing paladin join knights of the realm units to give that punch after the charge.

FarmerJoe16
06-08-2007, 04:41
oohhhh im a new brettonian player so i still need to learn all the tricks and stuff

Malorian
06-08-2007, 06:47
oohhhh im a new brettonian player so i still need to learn all the tricks and stuff

No worries. As I said I used to play that way but now I've reduced my paladins to a minimum (just the ASB) and all the rest are damsels and prophetess. You wouldn't believe how power full a heavycav/heavy magic list can be.

Lord Dralnu
06-08-2007, 18:18
On the topic of my lord having the Grail Vow, if I stick him in the unit of KotR as I planned, will this make the whole unit immune to psychology?

I figured this would be good reasoning to have him there instead of with the grail knights, if I go up against Undead this will give me a large lance of Knights that I know will be able to charge and pass their fear test.

Also having the lord with the grail knights seemed too many eggs in one basket.

Please let me know if I am wrong and thank you for the replies so far, I'll be posting a revised list soon.

devolutionary
06-08-2007, 21:39
As far as I'm aware, the rulebook states that if you have a magical weapon, you must use it and can not prioritize a mundane weapon above it for use. This makes your lance on your general redundant, since you must always use the sword.

Your army looks suspiciously similar to my tournament list, though I took Questing knights (the mustache compels me!), an extra damsel, and my core blocks are rearranged slightly. It works well, though I have actually yet to test the M@A properly (that'll be done this weekend).

Have you thought about putting the brazier with the Skirmishers? My points restricted that, but it'd be more versatile and likely to be applied against units prone to flammability.

MarcoPollo
07-08-2007, 00:11
On the topic of my lord having the Grail Vow, if I stick him in the unit of KotR as I planned, will this make the whole unit immune to psychology?

Actually this is a common misconception. You don't transfer psychology to your units. Then chaos nurgle/khorne heros would be way too powerful.

There are a few things that do matter about this.

1) Fear causing hero's grant fear immunity to the unit that they are in. But the unit has a fear causing unit strength of 1 only.
2) Immune to psychology characters limit the charge reactions of a unit. A unit may not flee with a character that is ItP or Frenzied.

So the grail vow, will not grant your unit ItP.

The nice thing about the grail vow characters, is that they can join any knight unit. But, too many characters with grail vows, can eat up points fast.

Malorian
07-08-2007, 00:20
Yup, the grail vow doesn't help the unit.

And yes the grail knights and a lord would be too many eggs in one basket (I now don't use grail knights in anything less than 3000) so the answer is to just take it off him and save all those points.