PDA

View Full Version : wizard army leader

lector#1
02-08-2007, 17:11
hey every 1 this is just a thing im confused about and im looking for an army that is best lead by a level 4 wizard im stuck on chaos and empire now but i am open to other armies. i will be using lore of fire so that way he pacts more punch my fave spell is 'conflagration of doom'

PRO
i like c
chaos because the sorcerer has spell familiar and skull of katam and crazy gear like that
CON
nothing in the army can hang back with him and shoot ( mark of tzeentch helps but not much)

PRO
plenty of options to back up the wizard
CON
empire wizard is ok but im not garanteed to get my fave spells from the lore of fire

if i do empire it will be a coruption empire force because the conversion i have in mind for my sorcerer is very evil and a corrupt empire army seems to be the next best thing to chaos( my army will most likely be 100% foot models)(i hate painting horses and i refuse to do it so im going for foot army)

any advice or suggestions would be great!!!!!

Glorfindel
02-08-2007, 18:00
Well high elves are good in magic but they get changed pretty soon

RavenBloodwind
02-08-2007, 18:09
The fundamental question of armies led by wizard lords can be answered as every army except ogres, dwarfs and brettonians. Ogres can't take a slaughtermaster without also taking a tyrant, thereby the slaughtermaster cannot be the general (except one special char), dwarfs are well dwarfs and bret mages just shouldn't lead. Certainly some have more facility to support the wizard lord but:

All elf wizard lords (High, Dark, Wood) make reasonable leaders to the right force.

Slaan mages are VERY capable and lizards have lots of reasonably good foot troops.

Skaven grey seers can be highly effective.

Orc mages are perhaps not the greatest in game but can be quite able leaders.

Chaos dwarfs also have potent sorcerors.

If the question is actually which wizards capable of taking lore of fire make good generals then you narrow your list quickly.

Clearly chaos and empire can work but HE and the slaan give you your best chance to get the specific spells you want.

lector#1
02-08-2007, 18:12
like i said in my previous post i want it to be able to use the lore of fire have 5 spells and possibly +1 to cast if possible but i dont think there is any army that lets youy have 2 arcane items and im goign for a chaos theme no matter what army i do so wuld high elves look good as zombies or undead guys

basically what im looking for is a sorcerer like what a chaos sorcerer can be fully tooled with the back up of empire artilary is this possible or should i got chaos with dogs of war i was thinking of to big units of crossbowmen.

any other suggestions to accompanie that^^^ would be great and yes i know i cant get the best of both worlds

theunwantedbeing
02-08-2007, 18:34
5 spells and +1 to cast eh?
And use the lore of fire?

Heh...that dramatically reduces your available choices.
Lizardmen,using a slann.
As he generates +1 as normal,and can be given a +1 spell item,and he can use the lore of fire.
No other army can do that on a mage.

Well....undead and dark elves can,but neither has access to the lore of fire.

You may as well just go wioth empire.
If you want artillery backing you up then the empire is the only race with noticably powerful artillery to back you up.

lector#1
02-08-2007, 18:45
ok then in your opinion what would you give you level 4 empire wizard compared to what you would give a level 4 chaos wizard because they are the 2 im aiming for
and can a sorcerer based chaos army do well like if i go with some crossbowmen from dogs of war or would the DOW be a waste of points and should i just go chaos sorcerer in chariot or sumthing to give him more surviability

Maldred2
02-08-2007, 20:54
I think he's looking for a powerfull mage....

well, how does one free powerdie for each spell sound?

immunity to miscasts?

being able to draw line of sight from ANOTHER wizard?

being able to fire magic missiles from a unit in CC?

being able to get the best from the lore of fire and ALSO get some good spells from other lores?

forget empire and chaos, slann will blow both mages out of the water simultaniously.

if you want a powerfull mage, go lizardmen (or high elves, but i don't know them very well)

lector#1
03-08-2007, 01:01
but can a slann mage lead my chaos or empire army because i dont like lizard men im more of a mortal units kinda guy

empireguard
03-08-2007, 02:55
I think Empire Is they way to go just take this guy

http://uk.games-workshop.com/empire/characters/4/

He will fit you bill better than you could hope

lector#1
03-08-2007, 03:30
WOW he is great is he legal in games and he gets 4 power dice per turn doesnt he i couldnt see if h gets any bonusus for that

empireguard
03-08-2007, 03:43
WOW he is great is he legal in games and he gets 4 power dice per turn doesnt he i couldnt see if h gets any bonusus for that

Yes he gets 4 dice. As to legality it is on the Current official UK web site so yes legal. It doesnít even say you need opponents position but you might Iím not sure on that.

lector#1
03-08-2007, 03:46
what does the staff of volens do i cant find it in my army book

empireguard
03-08-2007, 03:50
what does the staff of volens do i cant find it in my army book

See page 64 of the empire army book

and I just found out you do need consent. "You can use them on the tabletop with your opponent's consent." but I think most people should be ok with it.

Orcboy_Phil
03-08-2007, 03:51

I doubt it, his rules are 6th ed with the empire army book already moved onto 7th ed. Hes also not torenment legal as he does not appear in the empire book. He would be opponents consent only, and hes not really worth it unless your playing in 3000pt games as at a quarter of you total points hes a very big egg in a rather flimsy basket.

empireguard
03-08-2007, 05:47
I doubt it, his rules are 6th ed with the empire army book already moved onto 7th ed. Hes also not torenment legal as he does not appear in the empire book.

No his rules are 7th edition. The list of empire special characters online was revised with the new codex.

Also many tournaments will allow any special characters or army list as long as they are from a GW workshop web site. Such as people using the old steam tank rules in tournaments back before the new empire codex came out. That, however is really dependant on the tournament

lector#1
03-08-2007, 06:27
does that mean that i dont need opponent cnsent to use him, ill be using him on foot but shuld i pay the 70 points for the staff of volans or should i leave him as is???

he is going to lead a 90% shooty army

empireguard
03-08-2007, 07:03
does that mean that i dont need opponent cnsent to use him, ill be using him on foot but shuld i pay the 70 points for the staff of volans or should i leave him as is???
he is going to lead a 90% shooty army

You will still need opponent's consent but the rule for this guy were re-written for 7th and his rule came from GW so most people will not have a problem with it. Unless they just generally have a problem with Special characters.

If you think about it you need opponent's consent to have a game in the first place other wise you don't have an opponent.

As to a 90% shooty army heís more likely to have a problem with that. I would never take more than 50% shooty and most of the time I take about 10-15% shooty

the staff really depends on you army list and how much you like having an extra 12" onto spells.

Gorbad Ironclaw
03-08-2007, 07:13
You will still need opponent's consent but the rule for this guy were re-written for 7th and his rule came from GW so most people will not have a problem with it.

Have you read his rules? Extra range, extra damage, free power stone each turn, an always active flaming sword etc. I can easily imagine people having problems with him.

In general, while they are doing a better job with the army book characters(with a few exceptions, Thorek...), the web ones are shall we say a bit more wild.

lector#1
03-08-2007, 08:52
As to a 90% shooty army heís more likely to have a problem with that. I would never take more than 50% shooty and most of the time I take about 10-15% shooty

the staff really depends on you army list and how much you like having an extra 12" onto spells.

well in my army i figured im going 20flagies 1 warrior priest 1 or 2 level 2 wizards the special wizard lord 3 units of 15 crossbowmen volley gun great cannon mortar and 1 unit of 10 greatswords all remaining points will be put into units of sword or spear men

in that particular army what would you suggest i give thyrus (yes on foot)
im making this a all foot army but if need be i would stick 1 unit of knights and 1 unit of outriders im not sure about mounted units tho

what do u think????