PDA

View Full Version : Updated Welsh Empire 2000

Malorian
02-08-2007, 16:12
Arch Lector w/ heavy armor, shield, war alter (234)

Lvl 2 battle wizard*fire* w/ horse, doomfire ring (140)

Warrior priest w/ heavy armor, shield, barded warhorse (110)

Warrior priest w/ heavy armor, shield, barded warhorse (110)

8 Knights *lance* w/ full command, steel standard (244) *1 priest here*

8 Knights *great weapons* w/ inner circle, full command (248) *1 priest here*

5 Pistolier w/ outrider w/ repeater pistol (107) *wizard here*

5 Pistolier w/ outrider w/ repeater pistol (107)

20 Spearmen w/ full command, shields (140)
->10 Archers (80)
->10 Halbrediers (50)

20 Spearmen w/ full command, shields (140)
->10 Archers (80)
->10 Halbrediers (50)

10 Crossbowmen (80)

10 Crossbowmen (80)

Total: 2000

Basically War alter in the center with spearman group on either side (archers/spear/halbred going away from alter) then a unit of crossbowmen flanking each of those, and a unit of knights and pistoliers go up each flank.

So my solid cent wakls up while archers and crossbowmen shoot and cav runs and pressures the flanks.

How does it look?

Khorghan
02-08-2007, 16:20
Are you going to model them Welsh?

Malorian
02-08-2007, 16:28
The best I can yes... red shirts, no beards, welsh flag for banners.

Is this list good though?

Spoonie
02-08-2007, 20:30
Looks alot better. Curious on why you decided on 8 cavalry per block though, are they running in a rank of 5 and 4? You might want to consider dropping them down to 6 knights + character and just running them in a line instead to free some points.

Malorian
02-08-2007, 21:16
First of all they are in units of 8 because that's what they come as (bad reason I know), secondly I want my frontage to be 7 across to get the most amount of attacks yet still have enough in the unit to get outnumber and have a few bodies to loss to missile fire.

Lucky24/7
03-08-2007, 17:10
Mm i think its missing something to take down the big things :S

Possibly a Cannon would just tip this from a good list to a great one xD

Malorian
03-08-2007, 21:17
Won't my knights be able to deal with the big stuff? Str 5 reroll to hit, and the white wolf knights would obviously be the ones to fight dragons and the like.

Hywel
03-08-2007, 23:42
How is this specifically "Welsh"? :eyebrows:

Lost_Heretic
03-08-2007, 23:54
Well, he might be modelling it Welsh.

Now, I'm no expert on military tactics in the British isles, but I'd expect an early Welsh army to have a lot more spearmen and militia.

Really, I'd think that Brettonians Peasants might fit a bit better, with only one or two units of Knights. Perhaps Dogs of War?

Still, it seems like a well-rounded list on paper. I also really like that you included your wizard in a unit of Pistoliers, that seems like a really cool idea to harrass your opponents.

The only thing that strikes me as odd is the lack of magic items. Do you just not have the points?

Khorghan
04-08-2007, 00:33
Well as he said earlier he is going to paint and model it Welsh.

Kerill
04-08-2007, 05:24
Its welsh in that it will sell out to the English as soon as possible,keep the army away from albion and it should do fine. I agree you need a cannon though for big gribblies, chariots and enemy war machines.

RavenBloodwind
04-08-2007, 22:45
Having read your initial 'all spear' list I think this is certainly a vast improvement.

I echo the mention about the size of the knight units. They're just unwieldy at this point. 6 plus a character works very well and saves you almost 100 points between the 2 units.

I'd consider making the lance-toting fellows the inner circle so that they're S6 on the charge and S4 at initiative in subsequent rounds. This is opposed to S5 for the GW boys who will strike last in all but the charge turn (remember they're +1 S for GW in 7th ed.).

One other minor point is the doomfire ring on your wizard. I like the doomfire ring, mind you. But at present ALL your magical firepower is riding in a saddle with 5 silly guys with pistols to protect him. I'd put the doomfire ring on one of the warrior priests to increase the potential field of fire based on range from the item. Most of your lore of fire spells are going to be 24" range which leaves a lot of table unexposed. Moving the ring to a WP lets you cover a pair of 24" circles.

Other tweaks, pistoliers need musicians to aid in rallying and don't really need outriders in most cases. The exception is when a character is going to join the unit, you then need a champion to accept a challenge for the character (on that horrid occasion you find them in combat). So I'd drop the outrider from one unit and use the points to buy musicians.

Personally I hate the whole Sigmar cult thing, but it seems to suit your build and if you like it that's fine. Having 6 bound spells (2 for lector, 1 each for WP, popemobile and doomfire) and a level 2 caster ought to net you some successful magic phases.

Malorian
05-08-2007, 03:00
Having read your initial 'all spear' list I think this is certainly a vast improvement.

Maybe I should have posted it for a comparision seeing as all the 'how is this welsh' replies... (thus 'updated' welsh list)

I don't plan on the pistoliers to be bait charging, and point per shot the outrider with the repeater pistol is great.

I don't know about dropping to 8... I really want the outnumber and they are my main hammer units. If they are too weak the opponent could neutralize one flank ni one round of shooting...

savage_&_proud_of_it
05-08-2007, 19:31
i think the welsh idea is a nice concept but instead of having a war alter why not take away a few heroes and add karl franz on a huge red imperial dragon

Malorian
06-08-2007, 02:41
i think the welsh idea is a nice concept but instead of having a war alter why not take away a few heroes and add karl franz on a huge red imperial dragon

that's an idea I had for bigger games, although the dragon doesn't look right so I was going to use a griffin.

Spoonie
06-08-2007, 03:36
The point of hammer units isn't to outnumber, it's to killerize things.

Malorian
06-08-2007, 03:37
The point of hammer units isn't to outnumber, it's to killerize things.

One sometimes leads to the other...