PDA

View Full Version : Inquisitor "Grand Tournament" - December 2007

precinctomega
02-08-2007, 20:19
In December 2006, I hijacked the Winter Conclave as a test-run for a concept for an Inquisitor Grand Tournament.

Some have said that such a thing is impossible, because of the "points free" nature of the game, but I think we proved last year that it could be done and so I'm going to do it again. If you really want to play Inquisitor with people who know how the game should be played, then this is the event to come to.

So how do we turn a cooperative game like Inquisitor into a competitive tournament? Well, the event is basically broken into three sections:

1. Gaming

2. Painting & Modelling

3. Inquisition

Gaming is subdivided into two: playing and game-mastering. The GMs mark the players and the players mark the GMs. Everyone plays at least three games and GMs at least one. Players are marked on several criteria, only one of which involves actually achieving ones objectives.

So the players who turns up with three Space Marines might certainly wipe the board with his opponents in combat terms, but he will also score no or next-to-no points in terms of sportsmanship and imagination. And there's no guarantee that, by doing so, he will win the scenario (see later). In fact, by giving his opponent the opportunity to kill Space Marines, he might even give them bonus points in the "Did something cool" category.

Painting & Modelling is judged by the WHW staff.

Inquisition is a General Knowledge test on the background and history of the 40kverse and rules of the game. It's an open book test, but don't expect to find all the answers in the LRB.

Last year's winner was Inq. Ishigiru (which is how he acquired the custom title "Inquisitor Lord of the Ordos Terran" on the Conclave).

The main change in the format to last year's event (I'm still talking to GW about whether I can call it a Grand Tournament) is that the scenarios won't make up a linked campaign. I fried my brain doing the last time. Won't happen again. I'm contemplating making each participant design a scenario which he will then GM (and is therefore judged on the scenario as well as on his GMing skills). Much less work for me and a good extra skill to test you all on.

Anyway, what I need to know is: when should I hold it?

You have three choices:

Saturday 8 December 2007

Saturday 15 December 2007

Saturday 22 Decemeber 2007

Tell me which you prefer. Most votes (and I'll be totting them up across multiple forums) wins.

R.

vampking111
03-08-2007, 20:04
i have one question. How are the warbands worked out, as the ready reckoner is a bit broken. So how are the Warbands balanced. And i vote for the 15 of December.

22 is to close to xmas.

precinctomega
03-08-2007, 20:38
Did you read the post?

The GMs mark the players and the players mark the GMs.

Take what the heck you like. It won't matter.

R.

EDIT - Apologies. You caught me feeling testy, there. Allow me to expand.

There are no limits (other than the number of models, for technical reasons - and before you ask, we haven't decided what the limit will be; probably either 2 or 3). You can take Space Marines, Praetorian servitors, Alpha psykers with WP 250... whatever. Take a Space Marine Librarian if you like! Hell, take three (or two).

But don't expect to make any friends or to get much in the way of points from the GMs who run your games. And if I know the regulars, they'll design scenarios where being a super-strong psychic demigod is still no guarantee of victory.

The point is that this is a truly holistic event, assessing not only your victories on the tabletop but also your skills as a hobbyist, a game designer, a GM and a dedicated fan of the background. Winning games is only one part (about a fifth, actually) of tournament victory.

And, of course, if you do take a super-powerful character and someone else manages to down him with a cunning plan and a lot of luck, then your opponent will probably win extra points in the "Did Something Cool" category.

I hope that's clearer.

R.

P.P.S. Look, I've done this before. It works. So stop worrying and just clear your diary for December!

talos935
04-08-2007, 00:12
I would go for either the 8th or 15th

Any entrance fee, etc expected?

precinctomega
04-08-2007, 09:43
There will be a fee, payable in advance for those wanting lunch or on the day if you bring your own (or buy it separately). Exactly what the fee will be is still TBD. Certainly not more than 15. Probably less.

R.

Sabbad
04-08-2007, 22:36
I'm presuming it's 54mm scale? (please don't shoot me).

And I agree that the 22nd is too close to Christmas.

precinctomega
05-08-2007, 07:31
Yes, it will be stipulated in the entry requirements that models must be appropriate for gaming at 54mm scale.

R.

Sabbad
05-08-2007, 11:43
Hmmm, sounds interesting. My entire gaming group plays at 28mm scale, and between us we own zero 54mm models. We've never ever intended on getting any either.

BUT we all love Inquisitor, and that alone might be enough to encourage us to blow money on some tourney-worthy characters. As well as myself, I reckon I can get another 3-4 players involved as well.

One quick question: what are we expected to bring with us besides the obvious models, rulebook and character sheets? Do we need to bring NPCs and terrain as well? How well stocked are Warhammer World/whoever's organising this for bringing these extras?

precinctomega
05-08-2007, 16:02
Whilst the final details are TBC, based on previous experience players will need:

At least one model (54mm) with complete and clear character sheet.
1x D100 (i.e. a D10 marked with side 10, 20 etc)
1x D10
D6 sufficient to the highest Speed in your party.
Details of your scenario*

A rulebook is not essential, but if you are new to the game, then printing out Part One and the Reference sheets from the SG website is recommended.

*This could consist of just a single piece of A4 with the details of the scenario (parameters will be published with the final details of the tournament shortly), or you could push the boat out. Prepare bloodstained briefing packs for your players; have objective markers on cards with designs from the Imperial Tarot; add some NPCs from your collection... whatever it takes to get those extra marks from your players is fair play.

R.

Steam_Giant
05-08-2007, 16:34
Can i ask a Q about spectators ? With a high number of experienced INQ players located in a single area, would this be a good enviroment for green horns to catch a bit of the INQ flavour ? Are you planning anything for the uninitiated, maybe an introductory game ? Or perhaps the tournament is complicated enough to organise !?

Steam

precinctomega
06-08-2007, 08:41
That's a very good question and an interesting idea. Perhaps not this year. However, the idea of setting aside a table for casual spectators, friends and other visitors to have a go at the game themselves is potentially excellent.

The fact is that our experience shows that we don't tend to attract all that much interest. But if this should change then it shouldn't be too hard to set up.

That said, the format of the event might favour experienced players in terms of who actually wins overall, but at the same time it won't punish inexperienced players the way that most GTs do. We often get first-time players at our informal gatherings. At the Dark Fortress event in March the event was won by a first-timer. And at Games Day 06, the most imaginative player of the day was a first timer (who has since been tempted into the game in a more focussed way).

R.

talos935
08-08-2007, 01:40
Are you allowed characters with custom rules/equipment?

precinctomega
08-08-2007, 08:52
Yes, but bear in mind that if they are too complicated or too overpowering then the GM is perfectly entitled to remove them - as with any rule or equipment. For example, I don't like to see Nerves of Steel or Force of Will on any character who isn't either brain damaged or clinically insane. If I were GMing (I won't be) and someone had such a character, I would simply strike it from their character sheet.

The only exception is that GMs cannot cause a model to cease to be WYSIWYG by removing equipment. So whilst a weapon may be changed from being a Triplex Phall lasgun with a range finder to a Mars pattern lasgun with a laser-sight, the character must still have a lasgun with a gunsight if that's what the model is carrying.

This is all made explicit in the briefing pack which will be released to participants once tickets go on sale.

R.

Sabbad
08-08-2007, 14:12
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if each gamer plays in three scenarios and GMs one, that means they'll be three players and one GM in each scenario. Right?

precinctomega
08-08-2007, 15:20
Well spotted that man. Important point to note for the purposes of scenario design!

R.

Sabbad
08-08-2007, 16:08
I have to say, I'm getting really excited about this now, and it's only August! Already ideas for scenarios are buzzing around in my head.

Time to make the plunge and go 54mm I guess...

talos935
11-08-2007, 01:41
This is all made explicit in the briefing pack which will be released to participants once tickets go on sale.

When might we expect this to be avalible?

Also would there be the possability of spectating there?

precinctomega
11-08-2007, 14:12
Well, I'm in discussions with GW's Events & Community Team at the moment as to my chances of getting the go-ahead to use the "Grand Tournament" designation and exactly what help they can provide in terms of publicity and suchlike. The Briefing Pack will be made available as soon as (1) it's finished - the E&C team are giving the first draft the once over and I've already spotted a few extra things I need to add; and (2) I've got an accurate assessment of costs so I can settle on a final ticket price.

Participants will receive a copy of the Briefing Pack on payment of their entry fee (which will be payable by cheque or PayPal or in cash on the day). So if you want the full pack, you'll need to buy an advance ticket. A stripped down version - just enough to get you there on the right day with the right kit - will be put online (either on GW's own website or at the Dark Magenta site) for those who want to pay on the day.

Basically, I expect tickets to be available to buy by no later than the end of September.

Spectators will be more than welcome and there's no charge to spectate. If we have enough interested spectators, I might see if I can find the time and space to run a demo game on a spare table. In the event that we are swamped with spectators, I'll look into giving the option of a "spectator ticket" in future (and get the WHW guys to rope off the playing area!).

R.

Sabbad
12-08-2007, 17:33
On behalf of a friend of mine who IS wanting to come BUT can only make one of the dates, I'm going to vote for an 8th December date.

precinctomega
14-08-2007, 14:50
Your wish, dear Sabbad, is my command...

R.

savage_&_proud_of_it
16-08-2007, 08:12
when will the tickets come on sale and where would it be held.

this is a really good idea and i think it will be a great day

precinctomega
16-08-2007, 11:29
Refer to Tournaments forum for answer.

Sabbad
16-08-2007, 17:43
Are GMs allowed to bring their house rules with them?

biggreengribbly
17-08-2007, 04:34
I know one of the core skills a GM needs is to be able to adapt on the fly, but if you're expecting them to design scenarios with no idea what the terrain setup is going to be, or what type of warbands might be participating, aren't things going to be a little difficult?

You say you've done this before with success, so maybe I'm just not thinking far enough outside the box here.

Sabbad
17-08-2007, 09:46
@biggreengribbly: Yes, I imagine things will be difficult BUT it's not too difficult to design a scenario template that can be adapted to whatever characters turn up. And if you're going to need a special piece of terrain, then you ought to bring it with you.

precinctomega
17-08-2007, 14:53
if you're expecting them to design scenarios with no idea what the terrain setup is going to be, or what type of warbands might be participating, aren't things going to be a little difficult?

Diddums. ;)

Yes, it's not easy designing scenarios with no idea of what terrain you're going to be facing, is it? Consider that an extra challenge.

Are GMs allowed to bring their house rules with them?

This obliquely referred to in the Briefing Pack (still WIP). Basically, yes. But if you veer too far and too confusingly from the core rules then you may get marked down by the players. Also, the amount of time you have at the beginning of each game to brief players on alternate rules is limited.

R.