PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good horde army?

mtw1983
03-08-2007, 03:41
Specifically with O&G. I have been playing WH for like a decade now, but until recently it's really been with elite armies.
So now I've been trying to build a O&G army to 2250 the higher end of tourney standards and I keep ending up with a huge amount of points in characters and specials it seems like I shouldn't be, or is that just how it goes? Any discourse is welcome.

Goldenwolf
03-08-2007, 04:05
It's hard to say. I like a horde at 2250 with around 120 Orcs, plus 2 Shaman, 1 BSB, and a Warboss. Whenever I played a smaller elite force, they didn't have the Armor Save to fight against shooty forces.

I have found with orcs, that a few solid blocks of Boyz, with some warmachines, fast cav, and Boar Boyz do ok if animosity doesn't kill me.

I've seen other O&G hordes and cav forces do well, but found that Blorcs and character points above 800 just means I take too much incoming fire.

mtw1983
03-08-2007, 07:24
I should mention that I mainly do goblin horde with orc characters for survivability, unfluffy a bit, but i dislikehaving to mount everything and i still take an orc unit or two.
MY main question i guess is if most people find themselves taking the following:
700 or so points in characters, almost a 1/3
400 or so in specials
and what they take in terms of magic defense and artillery

winter has ended
03-08-2007, 07:31
well i have my 2000 point army here, which is magic based, but i have 630 on characeters, then343 points on specials, 80 in rare and the rest goes into making 3 units of 20 boyz one is a bigun and 2 unit of night goblins which are 30 strong, now you can drop a few things for more units but i find this rather balanced

Redman
04-08-2007, 03:05
I like to think that a good horde army is one that relies on numbers. I have been playing O&G for 5+ years now and I like to use a lot of core choices. I use Night goblins for their fanatics interspersed with blocks of boyz. Yes, I use boar riders and blorcs, but the real trick is to stagger them in deployment since orcs dont panic from goblins, I I spread them out to reduce the chance of having chain reaction panic tests. Works for me, hope it helps!:)

04-08-2007, 03:39
well Im not the expert (all my orcs and Gobbos are still in the boxes however I have a IG hoard army) but I got 2K gobbos that I will be running with 187 models. as hoard armies should have ...well hoards (except Hoards of Chaos?!?)

I do have the same problem as you. when you go from elite to haord you still look at the absolute killiness of the specials and above. but hoards are supposed to be cheap.

boyz are good too to add a little flavor and killieness to your army.

mtw1983
04-08-2007, 04:52
also on the issue of warmachines is 4 at 2250 alright? how about 6? either way its only take up 230 or 300 points respectively so like 10-15% is that advisable though?

W0lf
04-08-2007, 09:11
A good horde army?

that simple. Every unit wants a static combat res of at least 5

logan054
04-08-2007, 10:06
well Im not the expert (all my orcs and Gobbos are still in the boxes however I have a IG hoard army) but I got 2K gobbos that I will be running with 187 models. as hoard armies should have ...well hoards (except Hoards of Chaos?!?)

I do have the same problem as you. when you go from elite to haord you still look at the absolute killiness of the specials and above. but hoards are supposed to be cheap.

boyz are good too to add a little flavor and killieness to your army.

hordes of chaos can do perfecly good horde armies if they just use marauders and exalted, you can easily get 150 models plus

hamster67
04-08-2007, 14:15
I play skaven and i can tell you don't be afraid of missles. if you sacrifice certain units to them (not sure about orks and gobbos but skaven slaves work for me) also another nice thing is to use 2 units of movement tray length and put a gap betwen them which is 4 small or 3 large bases across behind them so the enemy can't charge them. hold on i'll try to draw a diagram enemy unit
----------------

----------- -------------

----------

like that i normally have blocks of slaves or clanrats as the first two and stormvermin as the back unit so they will always get the charge. the enemy is normally confident that it can kill two units and will fall for it most of the time.

hamster67
04-08-2007, 14:15
sorry diagram didn't work :(

04-08-2007, 20:00
hordes of chaos can do perfecly good horde armies if they just use marauders and exalted, you can easily get 150 models plus

it was a little tounge in cheek...all the chaos hoard armys I have played have been 30-50 models. I hardley see mauraders (I would love to fight mauraders)

Ninsaneja
04-08-2007, 21:38
Marauders are not good for a Horde Army, you'd be better off using Empire State Troops which are better and cheaper. Marauders are more expensive because they have the powerful back-up of Chaos Warriors.

mtw1983
05-08-2007, 01:42
Out of curiosity how many main blocks and how many support/bait blocks do you guys usually run at 2250? at 1500?

Comrade Wraith
05-08-2007, 09:51
A good horde army should have lots of troops (obviously....) but you shouldnt have too many as it make maneuvering tricky. I find its best if you have a couple of large, nasty units to distract a heavy portion of your opponents force. In a goblin army take plenty of wolf riders, flank attacks are what hordes should be good at

shartmatau
05-08-2007, 14:03
I am sort of making a horde. Its a zombie shambling horde. I'm using two blocks of 40 zombies with a good 4 or 5 units that can counter-flank charge, and some flyers to jump behind opponents when they break.
I think the key to horde armies is balance, if you just have 200 goblins you will get run over. But if you have a couple big blocks of goblins, maybe two small blocks of orcs, some wolf or spider riders for flanks, I would only take 2 spear chuckas and save the special choices for better things, like maybe a chariot or two. Fit at least two gobbo shamans, even if you don't get spells off you will want at least that much magic protection and they are cheap.