PDA

View Full Version : shooty empire army 2000pts

lector#1
03-08-2007, 10:11
this is my first ranged army in both 40k and fantasy but i havent played much of fantasy for the fact of i love empire but every 1 does empire that i know.

i decided since people make 40k guard armies corrupt why not do it with empire so my army is going to be normal models painted as zombies or with nurgles rot on them or just get some chaos sheilds and change the whole army (think it would be good??)

ok to the army list im gonna go with;
http://uk.games-workshop.com/empire/characters/4/
for my lord

ok for the list it goes
LORD/HERO 772pts

thyrus^^^(will join 1 cross bow unit)
on foot
staff of volans

battle wizard (will join 1 crossbow unit)
level 2
dispel scroll

warrior priest(will enter the flagie unit)
additional war hammer

CORE UNITS 570 pts
20 flagalants
prophet of doom

15 cross-bowmen

15 cross-bowmen

15 cross-bowmen

SPECIAL 435 pts
10 greatswords
full command

10 greatswords
full command

great cannon

mortar

RARE 220
volley gun

volley gun

total 1997

this army is the best i could do for what i want the army to do i am aware i have no mounted units just for the fact im aiming for a might foot army so what do you think and is there any way to improve it or any suggestions on colour schemes to make them look like the corrupted empire

BigRob
03-08-2007, 10:53
Seems very small for 2000pts.

IMHO those tiny greatsword units will serve no purpose, with only 10 models they will be decimated by any magic missile or decent shooting by the opposition and will be little more than speedbumps vs a combat unit.

15 Xbows a unit starts to take up space, so unless you have lots of hills, some wont be bale to fire. Maybe smaller units, for more shooting goodness.

Is Thyrus the special character off the website? I believe he is unofficial and will require opponents permission to use, as he is rather good for what he does although I'm not sur eif he uses the new toned down rules for the staff.

I love gunlines, but be aware alot of people dont.

Rob

lector#1
03-08-2007, 11:08
Seems very small for 2000pts.

IMHO those tiny greatsword units will serve no purpose, with only 10 models they will be decimated by any magic missile or decent shooting by the opposition and will be little more than speedbumps vs a combat unit.

15 Xbows a unit starts to take up space, so unless you have lots of hills, some wont be bale to fire. Maybe smaller units, for more shooting goodness.

Is Thyrus the special character off the website? I believe he is unofficial and will require opponents permission to use, as he is rather good for what he does although I'm not sur eif he uses the new toned down rules for the staff.
and the reason why it is small is cause of the 4 war machines wich i think are a bit much but still its a gun line so they have to stay
I love gunlines, but be aware alot of people dont.

Rob
yes he is the one of the website but just to let you know so is crom the conquerer for chaos he is not in the army book
i love gun lines aswell and i dont care what any 1 thinks about my army i was planning on gun line and im gonna stick with it

and im not worried about people not wanting to verse thyrus because alot of people that i will verse will be up for the challenge and use special characters aswell

if they say no that just means that ill make my thyrus a level 4 wizard and ill add another level 2 wizard and im thinking about making the archer units 4 10 man squads or maybe even change them to hand gunners.
i might take out the mortar and 1 unit of crossbowmen out and ad in a big unint of outriders or something any other suggestions?

lector#1
03-08-2007, 15:23
ok im gonna make my cross-bowmen into 4 10man units is there anything else i should change??? im really hopefull on atleast 1 game with corrupted thyrus just to see how much he can hurt and once i get used to my army i will dull him down a bit but i want this to be a fast army to build because when the new 40k chaos come out im gonna make a 750point khorne army just for the fact that they look cool

Spoonie
03-08-2007, 18:39
Well, personally I don't think that fire wizard guy is very good, but beyond that, using him in an army that has nothing to do with his backstory is more than a little tasteless.

Also, your posts are incredibly difficult to read. And just like I posted on the last list you did that was almost identical, your missle troops are too big and your combat units are way too small. You have a 20-man speed bump and 2 overpriced flanking units. I'm also pretty sure the warrior priest can't join the flagellants.

_Lucian_
03-08-2007, 18:50
for a start the warrior priest cannot enter the flaggelants as they are unbreakable (cannot be joined by characters who are not unbreakable) and there is no garuntee to get spell off, even if you do its after the movements phase.....

Crom the Conquere is actually in the "storm of chaos" book so you dont have to ask permission to use him and thyrus gorman is one of the most over power characters .

I agree with crossbowmen being to large, make them 10 and use the points to buy more greatswords, plus the volley guns are now terrible and too easy to kill, i personally would spend the 200 points on more troops and maybe a captain (if you loose thyrus)

BigRob
03-08-2007, 19:09
If your after a shooty list its probably worth looking up the tactics for the old Nuln artillary list.

Take small units of missile troops, a couple of decent blocks of state troops and the flagellents should give you a decent infantry army. Then Great Cannons and Mortars, both are good at what they do, dusting off with wizards and maybe a BSB instead of the priest to hold the line together.

As for Thyrus, he does indeed lay the smack down, we used him in a mega battle alongside Balthazar and it was painful. Infact the first time we did that, the rules had only just come out on the website and we had to check, as we all thought the guy who brought them along had made them up!

Good luck, hope you get the list sorted out, I didnt realise preists couldnt join flaggelant units.....thats kind of unfluffy.

_Lucian_
03-08-2007, 19:14
they can if they cast the prayer which makes them unbreakable, however that means they have to wait around for 1 turn before they join in which time your opponent can dispel the spell. Abit naf if you ask me..... its just to stop wizards jumping into the unit. BTW flagellants arent very good in shooty line armies since they are frenzied and they can get drawn out of position easily

Spoonie
03-08-2007, 19:39
I still see Helblasters as being worth it. Sure they blow up on turn 3, but they're scary enough to put people off and even kill some stuff some times. Although I'd probably take a Helstorm instead of a second one, if only for the "OMG DIRECT HIT" moment you're bound to get every once and awhile. I mean, 115 points for even a *chance* at the complete obliteration of an enemy block of troops is pretty worth it :D

_Lucian_
04-08-2007, 09:20
things is with the helblaster that since it needs 4+ to hit with each shot its not very impressive anymore. especially when skirmishers start running at it..... its too much of a reliability for me, i prefer handgunners or knights to gaurd my flank