PDA

View Full Version : theming armies

savage_&_proud_of_it
04-08-2007, 18:17
does anyone have any ideas about theming fantasy armies, any race. i just want an army what will be a bit different and will look nice on the tabletop.
many thanks

W0lf
04-08-2007, 18:25
first thing to do is pick a race..

you cant really have a theme without a race.

savage_&_proud_of_it
04-08-2007, 18:40
i have no real idea about which army i should collect only i just finished dwarfs and dont fancy doing another army of those guys oh no...

W0lf
04-08-2007, 18:52
so pick something with a stark contrast.

Dwarfs: Slow, tough, good shooting, no-little magic
New army: Fast, cc orientated, Strong magic.

Slaanesh, high elves, bretonians?

savage_&_proud_of_it
04-08-2007, 19:37
thats a good idea so thats narrowed it down a bit, thanks.
do you have any ideas about an actuel thems

W0lf
04-08-2007, 19:46
If your doing a fast force with good magic then some sort of Raiding force maybe???

Really depends on the army and the style you choose.

04-08-2007, 19:54
Slaanash. a warlord on the rise capturing slaves or gathering deamons or deamonic force lots of deamonettes

High elf a patroll searching for raiders silverhelms reavers eagles and mounted mages

brettonians a crusaider force searching to reclaim some land or some item

W0lf
04-08-2007, 20:18
Slaanash. a warlord on the rise capturing slaves or gathering deamons or deamonic force lots of deamonettes

High elf a patroll searching for raiders silverhelms reavers eagles and mounted mages

brettonians a crusaider force searching to reclaim some land or some item

To throw another set of themes in:

Slaanesh: A chaos lord of slaanesh seeking reedemance in the eyes of his God. He leads his warband to claim skulls for slaanesh. The chaos lord see sorcerers as 'lucky' and so includes many in his warband.

High elves: A scouting force that rides ahead of the main army. They tend to include many mages as they are expert tracksmen and their 'visions' help.

Bretonians: A force that found its home village burnt to the ground. It rides seeking vengenance and a glory filled death after the horrific loss of family and home.

savage_&_proud_of_it
04-08-2007, 20:47
does any one have any conversion ideas

Da Black Gobbo
04-08-2007, 20:50
Goblin wolf rider force: they want to have a good time fighting and stealing things. So they have shammans chariots wolves and some squig hoppers.

savage_&_proud_of_it
04-08-2007, 20:52
thats a good idea how many points do you suggest i should do

Spoonie
04-08-2007, 21:00
Shall we wipe you aswell?

savage_&_proud_of_it
04-08-2007, 21:05
what are you on about

lethlis
04-08-2007, 21:08
If you are thinking of starting another army, I would hold off for another year. Here is my reasoning HE this fall/winter VC next spring/summer DE next fall/winter. With three new army's and ranges coming out that fit into the categories you are looking into I would hold off.

savage_&_proud_of_it
05-08-2007, 07:20
i am using them for a campaign i am running so would like to get them done quickly.

thanks everyone

Malorian
05-08-2007, 08:22
I think anything less than 1000 is a waste, so start there and go up.

Although you should know how big to make it since it's for your campain...

One thing to remember when looking at a theme army is the models. You'll be dealing with a lot of the same units so you want to make sure they are easy to convert (plastic or a lot of classics)

Comrade Wraith
05-08-2007, 08:34
Ok what about a necromancy hunting empire army, with lots of millitia and some flagellents led by a battle wizard of morr with the lore of life/death and some templars of morr (knights) and plenty of hangunners but no cannons or state troops (bar handgunners and one unit of knights.

Or a travveling goblin circus would be quite funny, with gobling piggy back riders as wolf rider standins and a goobo cannonball (doomdiver?)

savage_&_proud_of_it
05-08-2007, 09:29
the gobbo circus is a good idea and would be quite fun to use

Comrade Wraith
05-08-2007, 09:42
Another Idea using Empire millitia is a seafaring army (Nordland possibly) There are plenty of pistols, cutlasses (can't spell i know) and navy looking stuff.

Have you ever looked at the back of some army books? they have alternative armies such as an artillery train of nuln (however that was the old empire rulebook i havnt got the latest one) Or a black orc army.

Using marauderers, millitia and other bits you could make a gladiator army, depending on which rulebook you use (for 'counts as') you can add different things, if you used chaos then you could do lions as stan-ins for warhounds. You know what....i think i should be charging for this. :D

savage_&_proud_of_it
05-08-2007, 16:08
the gladiator army sounds quite good how about using using roman style charriots for my charriotiers (sorry if thats spelt wrong).

Comrade Wraith
06-08-2007, 12:08
Brilliant. Historical armys are also a good rescorce for themes