PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the barrels?

Lindworm
05-08-2007, 12:11
I was having a game with two friends yesterday, and we decided upon rumaging through my limited terrain invetory to put in barrels and deem them explosive, S3 ordenanace (seriously explosive fuel in 40k). And when they exploded, any tank traps near them went flying d6+scatter die, doing any damage if they encountered anything.
Sufficive to say, when the black templar assault squad flew over to tackle a few random chaos and grab a tertiary objective... they managed to accidentally blow up a barrel, which blew up everyting else, and the scene did look very very exploded once we had caculated everything at the end of the turn.

My question, however, given how fun that was; is can I buy the sprues with the barrels and tank traps off the Games Workshop website, or is there any Forge World equivalent?

Cheer Up Mike
05-08-2007, 12:23
Here (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99229999041&orignav=10)
:D
Explosive barrels sound great! Really love the idea

Randy
05-08-2007, 12:28
I know you can buy barrels and tnak traps from GW - but you might be better off looking for a bases box fist and making some makeshift barrels out of that. My mate came up withthe idea and they jsut look like they're made of corrogated iron/adamantium/other material in the 40k universe.

For the bases thing just stick the big flats that the model sits on together then the rims together and get about 8 (I think - or 6) and you'll get osme exactly like we have.

For tank traps you could use old sprues - sharpen the edges and make one edge along it pointed (kind of like a roof so it slants together) then just use 1 bit of sprue to go along thelength of them perpendicular and stick them together and a couple of short bits to use to prop it up.

Like I said though you can get both from GW anyhow, just depends on what you want to do :P XD

Lindworm
05-08-2007, 12:44
Thank you both :) I really like the GW barrels, but I could make a few quick-tank traps as you suggested Randy.

The idea turns out quite fun in application, of the three random chaos marines in the middle when the barrels exploded; none of them took a wound, but if any tank traps would have flew at them it would have probably killed them.

Randy
05-08-2007, 12:48
No problem - have fun!

Oh btw forgot to say, trust mea really sharp kjnife is FAR better then a blunt one s you're not putting much force on - if it's blunt and slip you'll actually cut yourself but if it's sharp you'll stop it before it reaches you >_>

Bunnahabhain
05-08-2007, 13:07
Firstly, you cold just keep buying imperial vehicles ( ones with tracks), as there are barrels on their accessory sprue.

Another good source of barrels are 15mm copper plumbing fixings. Go to a builders merchants etc, and you should find some short (~25mm long) barrel shaped collectors, which will probably cost you less than the GW plastics, although more than scratch building.

Tank traps are easy to make

Some guy (UK)
05-08-2007, 13:34
Try WW2 scenery kits available in most model stores (I'm thinking of the Tamiya ones here). They are around 3 to buy, and come with a decent amount of barrels, so it works out much cheaper for you.

They also do sandbags, brick wall sections, tank traps, ammo boxes, general equipment boxes etc. So what you don't use in your games can easily be moddeled onto other things.

A link to the ones I'm thinking out (scroll down):

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/35mm/kit35001.htm

mark.k
05-08-2007, 13:48
I know you can buy barrels and tnak traps from GW - but you might be better off looking for a bases box fist and making some makeshift barrels out of that. My mate came up withthe idea and they jsut look like they're made of corrogated iron/adamantium/other material in the 40k universe.

For the bases thing just stick the big flats that the model sits on together then the rims together and get about 8 (I think - or 6) and you'll get osme exactly like we have.

For tank traps you could use old sprues - sharpen the edges and make one edge along it pointed (kind of like a roof so it slants together) then just use 1 bit of sprue to go along thelength of them perpendicular and stick them together and a couple of short bits to use to prop it up.

Like I said though you can get both from GW anyhow, just depends on what you want to do :P XD

thats one thing i use to think was great about 40k 2nd ed blowing up tank and seeing the turrets flying about

Templar Ben
05-08-2007, 14:37
Try WW2 scenery kits available in most model stores (I'm thinking of the Tamiya ones here). They are around 3 to buy, and come with a decent amount of barrels, so it works out much cheaper for you.

They also do sandbags, brick wall sections, tank traps, ammo boxes, general equipment boxes etc. So what you don't use in your games can easily be moddeled onto other things.

A link to the ones I'm thinking out (scroll down):

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/35mm/kit35001.htm

That is what I normally use. If you want I can take a photo of the sprues next to some GW models so you can get an idea about the scale.

Higgen
06-08-2007, 00:26
How about these? (http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=99229999041&orignav=304481&ParentID=8342&GameNav=10&ItemNav=303925)