PDA

View Full Version : Troll army

Gyulkus Chaos Saurus
05-08-2007, 18:30
Is it viable? My LGS is starting a LOTR escalation league, and I think i will be playing a army composed entirely of trolls. Is that a viable army? thanks

brettz123
05-08-2007, 18:34
No you will lose pretty badly actually. No might points and not enough models.

Neknoh
05-08-2007, 18:53
Which breed?

Pertinax
05-08-2007, 19:01
No you will lose pretty badly actually. No might points and not enough models.

That's wrong. There are troll chieftains, with M/W/F.

Adept
05-08-2007, 19:01
Trolls are super hard hitters, with very high fight values, lots of attacks, and a high defence.

However, a troll is expensive, and without some cheap-as-chips orcs (or Uruk Hai, comparatively speaking) to back them up, they will find themselves surrounded and sooner or later they will lose a fight, and end up on the receiving end of ten or more 'to wound' rolls.

You can mitigate this by including a troll chieftain, who has might points, but you will still need to be wary of being surrounded and outnumbered. You will need to use terrain to anchor your flanks, and keep your trolls near one another to provide support.

Neknoh
05-08-2007, 19:07
My suggestion would be the Mordor Troll, for only a few points more than a Cave Troll, you get Terror and higher Fight, strength and defence.

Trick here would be to work them in tandem, Terror usually scares away C3 troops, but not all the time (or so I've noticed in my games at least).

Now, you will want might, either add a Mordor Troll Chieftan, or that named character from that Arnor supplement... or was it Númenor?

Ister Flersson
05-08-2007, 19:24
C3 models will usually succeed with theit terror test, actually.

You will have very few models, so you'll only need to loose a few to start taking courage tests every turn.

Gyulkus Chaos Saurus
05-08-2007, 22:46
I was thinking of a mix of them. I was gonna have troll chieftans, cave, Mordor, and maybe even isengard trolls. Probably the character from arnor also. In my escalation league no one there is all that competitive, on guy is doing an ent army and another is doing ringwraiths. Someone might even do the fellowship :P . I thought cave trolls cause terror also? Initailly (250 ponts that is) its just gonna be 3 cave trolls, then in 500 3 cave trolls a chieftan and then either a morder or isengard troll. What do you think? is this viable?

Cal585
06-08-2007, 02:18
Burhdur is the Hill Troll kinda guy from the Ruin of Arnor.

Oh yes, a troll army is viable. I've heard of quite a few people that plan to or have used Troll lists. Although they usually just stick to Mordor Trolls... anyway, they are harder to use and don't seem to do as well as other competitive lists (not to say they don't win, just that they struggle against competitive armies). That said the idea of them is pretty popular and they sound like they are a fun army, everyone that uses them says that they had a good time (and presumably their opponents did).

Also Cave Trolls do cause Terror.

Catferret
06-08-2007, 04:39
The problem with the all Troll list is when you have to hold an objective. The base size means an opponent can stop you claiming the objective because they can get within the required distance fully while you can not.

Domination: They have more models in contact with objectives so you can't claim.

Take and Hold: You must get models wholly within 3" of the objective. That gets tougher with the larger base sizes. And your opponent will still have more models inside the area anyway.

So, yes Troll armies are great in a fight but will get outmaneuvered and outnumbered.

Gondorian
06-08-2007, 20:46
I once used Burhdur and two trolls against a ranger of arnor force. I lost but the game was very enjoyable. A troll army will struggle in certain games but it should be very fun in most of them.
You've said that others are going for themey armies like the ents and ringwraiths so the emphasis seems more on fun than all out victory.

Gyulkus Chaos Saurus
06-08-2007, 23:00
Yeah my LGS is a very friendly place NO ONE has a cheesy army everyones there for fun. There will be armys that are "normal" there and i might lose to regularly but as long as i enjoy it it should be good. Thanks for all input everyone.

Adept
07-08-2007, 09:37
i might lose to regularly but as long as i enjoy it it should be good.

Never lose that attitude!

the director
07-08-2007, 14:28
YEs, it will make you a lot of friends in this game