PDA

View Full Version : Which WHFB army is the most balanced?

avoidconfusion
05-08-2007, 19:14
When I say balanced I mean:

has okay to decent war machines, magic, artillery, cavallery, infantry etc.

Empire?

lilljonas
05-08-2007, 19:43
Yup, Empire. There's nothing the Empire can't do.

theunwantedbeing
05-08-2007, 19:46
Empire arent the most balanced army out there.
The ability to take a horrifically powerful gunline proves that fact.

I'de say tomb kings personally.
They arent spectacular at anything and nothing in the army is worthless,everything has a use and is a viable choice against everything else.

Chiron
05-08-2007, 19:54

Just because you can do something to excess doesnt mean you should, model wise and choice wise Empire are able to setup a happy medium in all phases of the game

Army wise though I agree with TK, they rely on each unit supporting each other heavily and dont have anything to excessive, bar magic and even then leaning that way heavily reduces Core unit choices

logan054
05-08-2007, 20:17

I'de say tomb kings personally.
They arent spectacular at anything and nothing in the army is worthless,everything has a use and is a viable choice against everything else.

Thats the player rather than the army, any army list can be abused in one way or another, I would say empire is the most balanced force, they can do pretty much any army list they like. Tomb kings however are another army that is very easy to abuse with tomb giants and chariot hordes.

MarcoPollo
05-08-2007, 21:07
I think lizzies do well in all phases of the game. You can set up a happy medium with lizzie very well.

Gorbad Ironclaw
05-08-2007, 21:15
Tomb Kings gets my vote as the most balanced army in the game.

Empire can do some of everything, but that doesn't per default makes it balanced.

Halelel
05-08-2007, 21:26
"has okay to decent war machines, magic, artillery, cavallery, infantry"

I'm assuming you mean multiple war machines /artillery, calvary, infantry and magic options

Based on this, I would throw out Lizzies, only just because they don't really have true artillery (besides sallies and steg bow) and calvary is limited to cold one riders.

TK is iffy as they only have one artillery, albeit it is a great one in the screaming skull catapult. Also they are light on the infantry side with just skeletons (warriors/archers/tomb guard) and calvary (light/medium "heavy in description but not really stat wise" skeleton riders).

There are only a couple of armies that fulfill the requirements set.

The most notable being Empire as they can pretty much do everything asked with multiple options.

Next would be Orcs and Goblins, little light on the calvary side as boar riders aren't seen much, however you do have goblin wolf/spider riders, plenty of war machines / artillery, plenty of infantry options, and variable magic.

Dogs of War is also an option, however, you would have to make do with the Ravening Hordes Army list.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
05-08-2007, 21:38
I'm going to agree with Halelel's conclusion. If I understand the OP's intent, he's looking for the army that can be configured to field pretty much anything. Empire definitely springs to mind, and what I love about my Orcs and Goblins is the variety of lists I can do with them.

I don't believe he was asking, "Which army list has the least chance to be abused into a super-powerful list, like a gunline army, and is therefore 'balanced'?"

The Anarchist
05-08-2007, 21:43
whilst soe people consoider them a bit broken i think the HE and DE can both preform very well in all phases of the game. whilst both may be bit lacki in the warmachine area (only their respetive Bolt throwers) they can be a very balanced force and have a pesence in each of the phases.

theunwantedbeing
05-08-2007, 21:56
Empire has no ogre sized infantry available to them.

cisse
05-08-2007, 21:58

So? A good dwarf gunline can throw out even more pain, can use the anvil to delay enemy units, and is a lot harder to break when you reach them. They can be every bit as bad as empire gunlines.

Still, all gunlines have - to an extent - the same weakness: they're static and when a decent enemy unit reaches the gunline, it'll easily break through. There are far, far nastier army builds out there.

As to the actual question: there are a couple of armies that can have a little of everything (shooting, infantry, cavalry, magic and so on). Empire first and foremost, it's really a very versatile army. But Orcs and Goblins are almost as versatile (a little less shooting of course), and High and Dark Elves are so too - allthough they don't have cheap infantry, so a horde army wouldn't work. They also only have one war machine, but Dark Elves can take some monster units.

loveless
05-08-2007, 22:06
Empire has no ogre sized infantry available to them.

well...they can always take Ogres as DOW (though it'd be better to use the ones from the OK list as opposed to the DOW list)

empireguard
05-08-2007, 22:19
Yes Empire then O&G's. I think all the points have been covered by others

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
05-08-2007, 22:21
Well, time to close the thread, then. *laughs*

gorenut
I have to disagree with TK. Like undead armies in general, too much depends on their leaders and they don't scale very well in lower point games. I think that has ALOT to do with what a balanced army is. Empire works at all point levels. Now if the questions was, "Which army is the most balanced at 2k" then I would agree with TK.

Aside from Empire, I'd say Lizardmen are fairly balanced as well. They can do most everything except for artillery, but get by quite well without it (similar how Empire can do everything except for Ogre units, but still get by well without it).

Sir_Turalyon
Dogs of War tied with Empire. Empire has more varied artillery and magic items to speak of, but limited fast cav, Troll-sized units and elite infrantry. DoW has all kinds of non-artillery units in core, special ogres, elite norsemen and all kinds of weird things in RoR, but more limited artillery and magic items.

avoidconfusion
05-08-2007, 23:55
"has okay to decent war machines, magic, artillery, cavallery, infantry"

I'm assuming you mean multiple war machines /artillery, calvary, infantry and magic options

Based on this, I would throw out Lizzies, only just because they don't really have true artillery (besides sallies and steg bow) and calvary is limited to cold one riders.

TK is iffy as they only have one artillery, albeit it is a great one in the screaming skull catapult. Also they are light on the infantry side with just skeletons (warriors/archers/tomb guard) and calvary (light/medium "heavy in description but not really stat wise" skeleton riders).

There are only a couple of armies that fulfill the requirements set.

The most notable being Empire as they can pretty much do everything asked with multiple options.

Next would be Orcs and Goblins, little light on the calvary side as boar riders aren't seen much, however you do have goblin wolf/spider riders, plenty of war machines / artillery, plenty of infantry options, and variable magic.

Dogs of War is also an option, however, you would have to make do with the Ravening Hordes Army list.

Very good post. Thank you! I think it came out wrong when I said "balanced" maybe "flexible" would have been a better word. Basically an army that can do everything okay or decently. Great answers, thank you guys!

avoidconfusion
05-08-2007, 23:55
I'm going to agree with Halelel's conclusion. If I understand the OP's intent, he's looking for the army that can be configured to field pretty much anything. Empire definitely springs to mind, and what I love about my Orcs and Goblins is the variety of lists I can do with them.

I don't believe he was asking, "Which army list has the least chance to be abused into a super-powerful list, like a gunline army, and is therefore 'balanced'?"

Exactly! :)

whilst soe people consoider them a bit broken i think the HE and DE can both preform very well in all phases of the game. whilst both may be bit lacki in the warmachine area (only their respetive Bolt throwers) they can be a very balanced force and have a pesence in each of the phases.

I play Druchii and I have to say that yes they have a good variety of troops but the problem is even their cheapest units are expensive. They are a much more elite army that could never really go head to head with most armies because of their expensive yet fragile troops.

Hvidponi
06-08-2007, 00:17
Aside from Empire, I'd say Lizardmen are fairly balanced as well. They can do most everything except for artillery, but get by quite well without it (similar how Empire can do everything except for Ogre units, but still get by well without it).

Fast Cavalry? Shooting (12" is not that much)? Horde (pretty expensive RnF troops)? Sorry if this seems offensive but I think Lizards are pretty low on choice, eilte army that hits hard or magic hard... All skins is also an army type but sucks...

gorenut
06-08-2007, 09:11
Fast Cavalry? Shooting (12" is not that much)? Horde (pretty expensive RnF troops)? Sorry if this seems offensive but I think Lizards are pretty low on choice, eilte army that hits hard or magic hard... All skins is also an army type but sucks...

I am basing on the fact that Lizardmen can potently participate in all phases of the game. Just because they lack fast cav, doesn't mean they don't have proper baiting units. Plus they also have good warmachine hunters in the form of Terradons. The entire army can be relatively fast. I admit I do base my opinion mostly on 6th ed before Skirmishers were unable to be march-blocked. I have not experimented with Lizardmen under the new rules.

Panic
06-08-2007, 09:45
Another vote for Tomb Kings.
War machines, magic, artillery, cavallery, infantry etc.
Does it for me.

Ktotwf
06-08-2007, 09:46
The army of the Empire of Man.

Sebastian_Forte
06-08-2007, 16:22
I expect alot of people will say Empire but I have to vote for Sassanids.

Though they are largely cavalry based and use Empire technology (outrider repeating handguns being the main one) their Cav are so cheap it makes up for their lack of numbers.

Also the Elite Guards are just awesomely versatile. Spears + Bows, untouchable :p.

itcamefromthedeep
06-08-2007, 17:00
Chaos Dwarfs.

Good Light cav, awesome heavy cav, good War machines, hard as nails elite units, decent horde units, and decent magic (good offensive magic with the chalice). They even have the advantage of good large monsters that Empire generally lacks. Chaos Dwarfs have everything except skirmishers and scouts, but Empire does not have much choice there either.