PDA

View Full Version : Death Korps of Krieg, is it possible to have an army?

Lornak Bloodgreed
06-08-2007, 01:33
I know it is but what I am truly asking is, is it probable to have an entire FW army? I wonder this because we all know FW greatly, GREATLY over charge on what they sell and it seems that unless you are a FANATICAL IG player and/or someone with deep pockets and deep wallets you cant do a FW army, of all things :(.

Damn, why did FW have to do the Death Korps of Krieg, why cant GW do any cool armies and leave the Vostroyans, Elysians, and the Steel Legion to FW, I think GW should concentrate on the Mordians, the Tallarn, the Valhallans, the Cadians, the DK of Krieg, and Catachans. Yall wanna know why, because that is where we get all of our stuff!

Anyway, enough ranting, I just want to know if anyone thinks that a "FW" army can be done or not.

Thanks for the discussion.:angel:

PS. Next to the tallarn, valhallans, vostroyans, and catachans, the DK of Krieg have the most soldier influence on their :cheese: and fluff. I dont like them the most of the group but, out of all of those, the DK of K have the most flavor peeps, Germans with beach-head equipment and vehicles, damn, how ironic... germans getting slaughtered on the beaches by enemy gunners whilst having beach bunkers as signature terrain :D

Baneboss
06-08-2007, 01:50
You dont see a bright side of FW concentrating on DKoK. Their fluff was expanded greatly which would never be done by GW.

Lord_Squinty
06-08-2007, 01:55
Sure you can.

The easy *but most annoying* way is to spend the same amount as you
would on GW models over a longer period of time.
The bous is - you end up with longer to paint *what are IMHO superior models* to a better standard.
So.., when you do eventually finish you're army - you won't look at it and go..
"Damn., I couldve made that MUCH better!"
*We've all done it - be honest*
You will end up with an army you are very proud of and wil use for a long time. Worth it in the long run *again IMHO*

Higgen
06-08-2007, 01:56
FW was the perfect choice for DKoK. They really increased the evocativeness of the army. Just look at the Death Riders! It's perfectly feasible to collect a full FW army...it's just not something that you undertake lightly or plan to have finished any time soon. You definitely need another army to play with while you assemble your DKoK one, unless you're a fanatic for painting and modelling. I plan to slowly amass a DKoK army with maybe one or two purchases a year.

Light of the Emperor
06-08-2007, 02:12
Oh its possible. Crippler over at the project logs has assembled a truely massive DKoK army. I definately can't wait to see all that painted.

hamrammr
06-08-2007, 02:14
DKoK have hit me so hard when I first saw them in FW that I decided right then and there to make a whole army of them. I have deep pockets. Nursing will pay for it all!! Thank you double shift!!

Lornak Bloodgreed
06-08-2007, 02:27
@hammy, good for you rich gal, I hope that you can finish it all... *sits back in chair and cries...:cries:*

Brother Gabriel
06-08-2007, 02:52
germans getting slaughtered on the beaches by enemy gunners whilst having beach bunkers as signature terrain :D

Since when do the DKoK look like WWII ??? I guess i missed something...
The rest i will not comment since its tasteless.

Worsle
06-08-2007, 03:32
The are also not German, most of their look is WW1 French with only the helmet having a German look to it. Their equipment is for trenches too, like the trench system they made.

Lord_Squinty
06-08-2007, 03:44
the DK of K have the most flavor peeps, Germans with beach-head equipment and vehicles, damn, how ironic... germans getting slaughtered on the beaches by enemy gunners whilst having beach bunkers as signature terrain :D

See, I never finished reading that - I just helped.
I seriously hope youre *trying* to be funny *You arn't*
WW2 was done over 60 years ago - Its over.

My revised advice is this if you want the models get them, if you're trying to make a statement - DONT.
You're about 50 years too late and the world has move on, even if you havent.

Ktotwf
06-08-2007, 04:59
The are also not German, most of their look is WW1 French with only the helmet having a German look to it. Their equipment is for trenches too, like the trench system they made.

1. Their name is German
2. No one really CARES whether their trench coats are French or German style, okay?

Drogmir
06-08-2007, 06:04
I want a death Korps of Krieg army but those pocket books know no bounds.

So I've settled with a Candian army ran by Stormtroopers and Command HQ of DK.

Also I'll set what I can do to have some DK tanks in the mix.

Thank god for Fantasy to tie up all my horrible needs to make and paint models.

Although the campaign this year sucked.

Lord_Squinty
06-08-2007, 06:22
1. Their name is German
2. No one really CARES whether their trench coats are French or German style, okay?

1. Okay - yes, they're name is German for death /or war - I'm rusty - sorry.
2. History cares - but I would guess - yes!
Of course they'res a difference. There was though...
And your comment re: "No one CARES" is probably offensive to those who fought.....
However, in the interests of others - it would probably be better if you alter you'r colour scheme *even slightly* so as not to cause offence.

<Added> At the end of the day - this is a f67567g game!!!,
Treat it as such.....

Colonel Stagler
06-08-2007, 08:29
Yes it is possible to do a DKoK army, people like the venerable crippler and Still Learning have vast DKoK armies, i have 1500pts and growing and a gorgon, my project on hold is on the moment as i am saving up for a car (soft top mini's for the win!)
But i plan to continue after that purchase has been made :).
People are clarifying who the DKoK look like because these days you never know what people may take offense from in the politically correct world of today. I maintain a fully working WW1 German uniform and the DKoK are very much based on them, but many people go as far as saying they are Nazis which is wrong.
Stagler Out

Crippler
06-08-2007, 09:20
And here is the link, http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85498

Enjoy

Panic
06-08-2007, 09:28
It's possible but very very costly.
I was on the verge of doing DKoK as an army by itself, but changed my mind.
Crippler's army is sweet :D.

Crippler
06-08-2007, 09:28
Thanks and yes you do need a large purse of gold

marv335
06-08-2007, 09:51
A FW army is very possible.
My flatmate has an Elysian drop troops army, I'm working on a DKoK army myself.
You have to want the army to do FW.
True it's going to be expensive, but you're going to have an army that few others will field at your gaming club/shop.
My only reservation on the subject is this.
only do it if you have the time and skill to paint the models to a standard they deserve.

Ktotwf
06-08-2007, 09:58
I kind of have the picture of the Death Korps soldiers as being utterly and completely psychotic, willing to kill without guilt and fight in high numbers and die in droves.

Its different from the prim and proper Mordians I am doing now, or my next project, the Russian-esque Valhallans.

I plan to do a Mechanized Stormtrooper DKOK army sometime in the far distant future when I have a job and money.

Nemo84
06-08-2007, 10:06
I'm also very slowly doing a Death Korps army. The best way is to simply buy a squad as soon as the previous one is painted. Since I don't have much time to paint, it results in about one squad every couple of months. They will remain expensive though, so think hard if you think it's worth it.

People are clarifying who the DKoK look like because these days you never know what people may take offense from in the politically correct world of today. I maintain a fully working WW1 German uniform and the DKoK are very much based on them, but many people go as far as saying they are Nazis which is wrong.
Stagler Out

Political correctness will be the downfall of the modern world. If people are offended by little plastic men, they're going to find a way to be offended no matter what you do. These people want nothing more, so they can feel righteous and superiour about themselves.

Though they certainly have many French and WWI influences, I find the DKoK to be really suited for a Heer or Waffen-SS colour scheme. Mine is inspired by early war Heer forces, with a nice dose of 40k influence off course. It's your money and your hobby, so do whatever you want, I always say. As long as the person itself isn't spewing racist drivel, I'll be very interested in seeing and playing any WWII German-themed army. Though it'll take some effort to make them really blend in with 40k, cause face it, compared to the Imperium, the Third Reich were a bunch of boyscouts.

And a little note for all those PC boys: Heer != nazi, nazi != evil. There was no good vs. evil in that war, every side fought for it's own interests and had a lot of heroes and a nice big list of warcriminals. But hey, history is written by the victors. So most people never lift an eyebrow when you do a Soviet force, but if you take the Waffen-SS as an inspiration, it's suddenly "OMFG, a Nazi!! He's going to eat our babies!!!".

Darkane
06-08-2007, 21:04
Definitely possible to have a full Forgeworld army. You don't even really need to make that much money all you need is the time. Myself, I've got a thousand point army of death korps which is growing to 1500 soon. Someone had asked me in my log how much everything had cost me so far and I think it was around $1100 or so, so far. That's a lot of money but its been nearly a year since I've started and I usually only purchase something every other month at a budget of around 100-150 bucks an order. I've got expenses just like everyone else does, a baby to support and a girlfriend to spoil. I don't make a lot of money either really so I've basically given up a few other luxuries I normally used to splurge on. I've cut out regularly purchasing liquor and cigars, buying expensive clothes or keeping up with the latest video games. Now i just drink at parties or smoke a cigar once in a great while as opposed to every month.

We all make purchasing decisions and while some people like fast cars, collecting coins, or buying the latest hi tech gadgets I wanted a full Death Korps army! When I first saw the previews of them I just had to have them and happily have cut back on other things I don't need in order to afford them. I figure you only live once so if you really want something get it! If you don't have a lot of money (like myself honestly) all it takes is patience. You have all your life ahead of you after all.

Gaebriel
06-08-2007, 21:59
Only your bank account can answer the possibility question. The answer will be as varied as the posters.

Worth it? Well, if you're an Imperial Guard player by heart and prone to the greatcoat-gasmasks-evil-insert possible WWI association-insert possible german association-factor, then yes.

And for the record, the similarity is with WWI. The helmets don't really fit WWII, and the gasmaked trooper is more iconic for WWI.

artificer
06-08-2007, 22:16
It is entirely possible to field an all FW army, but don't plan on starting too many other armies at the same time :D I've been working on mine for several months, and with luck, will only be in the procurement stages for 6 more months.

As to the 'german-ness' of the DKoK, this has been covered MANY MANY times, like every time the topic has come up...

1) great coats WEREN'T issues (as a rule) for german troops in ALL seasons, they were to the french (and french supplied belgians).

2) the germans of WWI didn't wear ankle boots and puttees, they wore jack boots. The french (and just about everyone else) did.

The helmet is a cross between the french 'adrian' and german coal scuttle, but that's where the similarity ends.

If people plan to be offended about stuff, it'd be nice if they did their homework, rather than be offended in ignorance.

MyCoCo
06-08-2007, 22:39
I still think they are a mash up rather than being based on one style, there are more similarities to the Germans than just the helmets, the top areas of the great coats are very similar to the german ones, especially the collars. I am not sure whether other armies used them but the y-straps on the back are very similar, the gas mask canisters on the back packs as well. Even the DKoK Lasgun pattern is called the k98 ;). There are various elements picked from loads of different uniforms.

Anyway, on topic. To echo what others have said, DKoK or indeed any FW army is a large undertaking, I still only have ony squad and a mortar and some odds and sods that I have made a start on but once I get back into the modelling swing of things again I will work at them patiently and do them justice, as they deserve. Meanwhile I can proxy my list with old guard models lying around or collect another less demanding (not to say effort wont be put in) army, which would also provide a nice change of scenery.

Even if you're on a tighter budget you can still amass an army slowly I'd reckon, just take it a sensible pace.

Nemo84
07-08-2007, 00:29
<----Deleted by the WarSeer Inquisition---->

Back on topic, I think it might also be handy to keep an eye on ebay. If you're lucky, you might find someone selling his Death Korps, and you might be able to get a great deal. Though I've up till now never found anything really worthwhile, it seems most people like them too much to sell them.

@MyCoCo: Well, as soon as they called the planet Krieg I think German influences couldn't be avoided. Though the helmets and breastplates also remind me of the 18th and 19th century heavy cavalry units, and the heavy stubber is definitely inspired by the British Bren. I think Forgeworld simply looked at a lot of cool looking military stuff in history and threw it all together like they always do.

Captain Brown
07-08-2007, 02:23
What most people like to forget is that our server is located in Germany and thus subject to German law. The posting of Nazi iconography is not allowed and has gotten several members in hot water. Please do not post it or make political statements, they will be removed.

There has been a fair amount of general baiting and trolling in this thread, so it is being closed and several posts removed or edited.

Captain Brown
WarSeer Inquisition