PDA

View Full Version : Want to Start VC

elvishmonkey101
06-08-2007, 02:53
Hey there. Of my gaming (GW) history, I've always played horde armies. Skaven, Orkz, I even played my Tau as hordes (no ships, just lots and lots of troops). So when I saw the Vampire Counts, I knew I loved the models and the idea of starting an army that had nothing to do with hordes at all.

So what I've come to ask is for people to advise where to start with the Vampires. I haven't picked up the codex yet (first on my list when I get paid Thursday) but if you could give at least a little bit of direction as to where I should start, I'd appreciate it. Also, if you could suggest any websites that have help for starting VC, I'd appreciate it greatly (I already checked GW's website and saw what they had to offer. Thanks!

Ktotwf
06-08-2007, 03:00
In what way is Vampire Counts NOT a horde army? It is the very DEFINITION of a horde army in WHFB.

elvishmonkey101
06-08-2007, 03:08
A VC army depends on the Character 100%+ more than any army I have ever played. So in my opinion, it's not a horde army because of that. A horde army really doesn't have to depend on the leader. It's sheer numbers can make the leader worthless. Vampire Counts rely on the character.

Ktotwf
06-08-2007, 03:14
No, Vampire Counts rely on Horde + Fear + Magic.

Characters can be important yeah, but that doesn't mean it isn't horde...it is just that the Vampire Character is what holds the Glue together.

Vampire Counts = Huge, Huge Numbers of Dirt Cheap Soldiers, and 2 or 3 killy General characters.

To me, that is still a horde.

Halelel
06-08-2007, 06:14
Hehe, I have to agree with Ktotwf. Although VC rely on their characters, they also rely heavily on strength of numbers.

But hey, do whatever you think you'll enjoy. I'm sure you can make a unique VC army without tons of skeletons and zombies somehow, :)

elvishmonkey101
06-08-2007, 14:31
Horde or not, I still need to know where to start out with them.

Gorbad Ironclaw
06-08-2007, 14:55
No, Vampire Counts rely on Horde + Fear + Magic.

Only if you want to play them that way.

You can make armies that are dependent on neither of those things if thats your fancy.

People just tend to focus on the out-number with Fear and the ability to raise troops.

But you can make perfectly viable combat based armies that while being helped by causing fear, fight much more like a 'traditional' army.

You got a range of options for units to stick people on, and then you hit them with some of the units that can kill something in the list.

Grave Guards, Black Knights, Ghouls(best unit in the list), Black Coach, Vampire Thralls, Spirit Hosts etc.

The great thing about the VC list is that virtually anything you would want actually works. the only duff unit is the batswarm(with 7th), and style of VC army you want can be made to work pretty well I think.

daemonkin
06-08-2007, 15:01
Why is batswarm bad in 7th? Is it the same for spirit host?
Sorry if this sounds like a noob question but have not played much 7th ed and have not used swarms.

D.