PDA

View Full Version : 40k fluff vs Fantasy fluff

jp22102000
06-08-2007, 04:00
So which story/fluff do you like better? 40k or Fantasy?

Light of the Emperor
06-08-2007, 04:29
Definately 40K. It helps when you have a whole universe to mess with rather than one planet. An exterminatus would kill the fantasy world pretty fast.

Drogmir
06-08-2007, 05:56
40K's fluff is quite a bit better.

Not to say Fantasy's is bad, but there's too many references to other ideas

40K has gotten past that point.

Jedi152
06-08-2007, 08:41
Everyone will say 40k, but i love fantasy more.

TheLionReturns
06-08-2007, 09:44
I like both but I think 40K fluff has a bit more depth at the moment, although I can see that changing in the future if Black Library produce a Horus Heresy type series for fantasy. I think the main difference is that fantasy seems to focus a lot more on the actions of great heroes and villains whereas 40K seems to focus more on the actions of regiments, legions etc. Obviously there are heroes and villains in 40K but the focus just seems different to the fantasy fluff.

I sometimes find fantasy fluff a little disappointing in terms of perhaps a missed opportunity. The smaller setting should allow for greater depth but this is missing at present. I like where the wood elves have been taken recently, but then again the refocussing of the empire on religion and faith is a bit lazy for me. Seems a bit of a 40K clone and a missed opportunity to try something new.

The fact is that there are elements i dislike of both settings. Dark Angels fluff is amazing for me but anything to do with ctan just seems silly. Anyway overall the quality and variety of the fluff is one of the key things that keeps me interested in the hobby and I am generally positive about both settings.

Panic
06-08-2007, 09:46
Both good but reading 40k fluff seems to be more interesting than Fantasy.

studderigdave
06-08-2007, 10:11
im voting for 40k also. like stated before, the 40k word is so vast it has almost endless possibilites, the fantasy world is just that, a single world.

Ktotwf
06-08-2007, 10:15
They both have the potential to be excellent, depending on the hands who shape them.

I might like 40k better, but...I would read Gotrek and Felix any day over poorly written 40k novels like those by Cassern Goto.

I also feel like Fantasy has more different scenarios and more factions all competing for different things.

In 40k its always, "Imperium is attacked by ______, Space Marines kick ____'s ass."

Fantasy isn't that restricted, and you get the viewpoint of several factions.

grickherder
06-08-2007, 10:43
I find both quite derivative, but 40k is different enough from most other sci-fi that I'd pick that. I've always had a soft spot for orks growing from spores and alien hive minds that strip planets.

lanrak
06-08-2007, 10:46
Hi all.
I tend to agree with Ktotwf.
WH fluff is restricted to only one world,but it covers lots of aspects and races on that world.A wide range of detailed perspectives.

40k has an entire universe,but it currently has a very restricted perspective on that univrese.
I found Rogue Trader to have a 'open' starting point for the fluff.(Still a great read for inspiration I find.).
Its just over the years GW have become VERY imperium centric.
A very narrow view of a wider arena.

Hopfully this will change after Codex Orks?

TTFN
lanrak.

Pokpoko
06-08-2007, 11:13
both are silly. but WHB is just slightly less silly,therefore it wins-it' generally rather good for a fantasy setting, while 40k is very sub-par for me

One_Second_of_Insanity
06-08-2007, 12:05
I would go 40k, it has more scope but I am biased in that I love spaceships, aliens and big guns (not to say I also dont enjoy a lot of fantasy as well).

Bubble Ghost
06-08-2007, 12:12
I like Warhammer for the human aspect. You just can't root for the Imperium like you can the Empire. 40K is so vast and all-inclusive that nothing has any sense of consequence or importance. The scale means you just can't imagine that any individual event or action actually matters, while the unsympathetic nature of the Imperium means you don't really care about the inhabitants either - a combination which is philosophically fascinating, but not brilliant for giving wargaming or stories the necessary gravitas. The forthcoming RPG will help matters in this area, I think.

Apart from that, the sheer fact that Warhammer's whole mission statement is to be a down-to-earth, believable twist on stock fantasy combined with real life analogues is enough to make it appealing for me.

Conclusion: 40K is more distinctive (and, ironically given its origins as Warhammer-in-space, more original), while Warhammer is more sympathetic and believable. Apart from that it comes down to whether you prefer tanks or wizards. Why choose? (although Archaon would so kick an entire 40K army's ass)

Hellebore
06-08-2007, 16:58
I enjoy both. I prefer science fiction to fantasy, so on that bias alone I like 40k better (a scifi has such a big scope that it can easily incorporate all the aspects of a fantasy world - that is, it can be everything a fantasy can be, plus).

I really like the twisted reality of fantasy, the down to earth nature as Bubble Ghost has described. This actually wouldn't have been very hard even 5 years ago, because I was pretty much only into 40k.

However, with 6th ed I decided to play, and GMing WFRP gave me so much more interest in the world than I ever had previously. Without WFRP 2nd ed it wouldn't have been a competition.

I'm looking forward to Dark Heresy with baited breath.

Hellebore

warboss48
06-08-2007, 18:46
I like the 40k fluff a lot more. While the the fantasy stuff is by no means bad, I just find the 40k stuff more interesting.

Aundae
06-08-2007, 23:42
Keeping in mind that I donít buy the novels or have a 10 year history with codexes from every race and faction I would say they are one in the same. Just one is a fantasy version, and one is a sci-fi version. For example here is the story line in a really really broad perspective. Letís base a religion around Sigmar a great hero who saved humanity, no, lets base a religion around the emperor a great hero who saved humanity. Letís have a really dark time where everyone is set against humanity, no, letís have a really dark time where everyone is set against humanity. The names might be different, elves/elder, but even that is pretty much one in the same for fantasy verses sci-fi.

The Anarchist
07-08-2007, 01:01
weirdly i far prefer the 40K fluff but play far more WFB.

i think the 40K has far more depth and good sub-plots and set ups that get epanded on once in a blue mood :D also a whole galaxy is far more room to play with. i also would much rather read a 40K novel than WFB one.
however i do think WFB does have very good fuff, its just not as much or well done maybe.
just my two cents.

General Samuel of the 101
07-08-2007, 04:00
i really love the look of WFB,the setting is good,and yes Gotrek and Felix are soo much better than the crap by CS Goto

mistformsquirrel
07-08-2007, 04:09
40k for me, but the primary reason is because it incorporates so many fantasy elements into a sci-fi setting.

I also LOVE the open-ended nature of the setting, because there are *very* few "hard and fast" rules that are completely unbreakable. Anything else one can always say "In the vastness of the galaxy, can you honestly say its never happened?"

That means you can make some truely 'out there' armies, and retain fluffiness; it just becomes about how well written your idea is, and if you've given it the proper 40k feel.

That said, there's definitely something to be said for a smaller scope. WHFB has an advantage in that you actually care about specific regions, whereas in 40k if its not at *least* planetary in scope... its easy to gloss it. Hades Hive for instance was wiped out at the start of the 3rd war for Armageddon without much ado. Just "poof" gone.

So personally, I'm a fan of 40k more than FB, but thats not saying I don't like both.

synapse
08-08-2007, 19:08
i dont think the fact that warhammer is one world and 40k is an entire galaxy has anything to do with the results whatsoever (if 40k is so much bigger, why does warhammer have more different armies? :p) - 40k fluff is just better, period. the evocative stories of the primarchs, horus heresy, armageddon, the gothic war etc have no comparison in warhammer.