PDA

View Full Version : Help me get my brother into 40k!

mistformsquirrel
06-08-2007, 06:41
Well... after a significant amount of bugging, my brother has agreed that before he goes back to school on the 13th, he'll play me in a 750pt game of 40k.

I'll be using my Silverblades (Blood Angels successor) and it'll be my very first game as well - he seems to like Necrons thus-far; though he's not 100% set on an army to use.

His army will be entirely proxied for this game, but I'm hoping that if I can strike his interest, he'll jump in.

The problem I'm having is that he said he wants me to help pick his army list since he hasn't got a clue what he's doing. Unfortunately, I don't know Necrons all that well, and after a couple tries, I'm finding it hard to make a list that he might find interesting to play.

So I'm asking if anyone here could help me put together a fun Necron list to fight my jump-packing Blood Angels.

Here's the list I came up with:

Necron Lord w/ Warscythe, Resurrection Orb

Elites:

5 Flayed Ones

6 Flayed Ones

Troops:

10 Necron Warriors

10 Necron Warriors

Fast Attack:

3 Scarab Swarms

I figured he could use the Swarms to tie up one of my Assault Squads for a round whilst the warriors stuck with the lord, firing as my marines come in. Then his Flayed Ones could further delay my troops while his warriors continue to shoot the un-engaged squads.

Again though, I'm new to the game, this'll be my own first, and I don't understand necrons all that well... so I don't feel confident handing him this list. I just want him to have a good time really.

My own list:

750pt List Below

HQ1: Lemartes, Guardian of the Lost

No-Slot: 3man Death Company w/ Jump Packs

Elites: 7-man Veteran Assault Squad w/ Meltagun, Flamer, Power Fist, 2x Power Weapons, 2x Combat shields

Troops:

Assault Squad w/ Power Fist Sgt (Sgt)

Assault Squad w/ Power Fist Sgt (Sgt)

Total: 750pts

I know it might be a tough battle for him just due to him being Necrons and my army being really good at assault, something Necrons aren't exactly known for.

Like I said though, he hasn't totally decided on race either, its just what caught his attention - all help is welcome!

Lord_Squinty
06-08-2007, 07:04
What age is youre brother??
'cause that sounds around the time I learned of ladies and beer.....

mistformsquirrel
06-08-2007, 07:37
He's 22, I'm 23. <o.O> We're both quite fond of the females and he's already uhh... well acquainted with his fermented beverages >.>

Though I admit I'm not entirely certain what brings that up <o.O>

Mr_Smiley
06-08-2007, 08:41
I would suggest that you drop the Flayed ones completely and get some more Scarabs, your brother will have no choice but to shoot you to bits, so he will need all the tarpitting he can get.

Carlos
06-08-2007, 11:01
I would suggest that you drop the Flayed ones completely and get some more Scarabs, your brother will have no choice but to shoot you to bits, so he will need all the tarpitting he can get.

If you want to keep necrons interesting do the opposite to this. A Necron warrior horde is the dullest army in 40K. Hardly the weapon to use in enticing a new player.

BajsArne
06-08-2007, 11:35
How about letting him play the marines instead? Easier and it´s more fair, because then you won´t know what you´re doing either.

mistformsquirrel
06-08-2007, 11:49
If you want to keep necrons interesting do the opposite to this. A Necron warrior horde is the dullest army in 40K. Hardly the weapon to use in enticing a new player.

That's kind of what I'm afraid of. I had originally thought to give him a 3rd group of warriors and then maybe a Heavy Destroyer - that'd give him plenty of Necrons to shoot me with, and with the Rez orb he'd even be able to WBB the ones I powerfist.

But it'd be incredibly simplistic, and probably dull for both of us. Me? I don't mind that if its what he wants, but I don't want him to be bored frankly.

The Flayed Ones are probably a poor choice on second thought though... there's got to be *something* I can back the warriors up with that'll make him able to handle some assault whilst being interesting and providing a bit of difference.

What about Destroyers?

Wraiths don't look so hot for taking on Marines, but Destroyers are fast and pump out alot of shots; which might be useful for him.

If it were my list, to play, I'd strongly consider Pariahs just for the sake of I love their fluff... but I don't want to saddle him with something like that when I barely know what I'm doing.

Bajs - if he wants to play my Marines, I'll gladly let him! I just want him to have fun; so if he thinks my army will be enjoyable for his first try; it's all his. Heck anything we have access to a codex for is open for him if he feels like it.

But at the same point, I don't want to steer him away from Necrons if thats what he wants ya know? He does seem to rather like their fluff.

(Appreciate all the suggestions so far btw! Even if I don't use it, I'm just grateful for any help I can get!)

BajsArne
06-08-2007, 12:13
Ah ok I didn't understand that he actually wanted to play necrons. Sorry.

chaos0xomega
06-08-2007, 18:59
May I reccommend you up the points to 1000. 750 pts. of Necrons is... welll.... its not ideal...

Grimtuff
06-08-2007, 19:07
Well... after a significant amount of bugging, my brother has agreed that before he goes back to school on the 13th, he'll play me in a 750pt game of 40k.

He's 22, I'm 23. <o.O> We're both quite fond of the females and he's already uhh... well acquainted with his fermented beverages >.>

Though I admit I'm not entirely certain what brings that up <o.O>

School? At 22?

This does not add up..... :eyebrows:

mistformsquirrel
06-08-2007, 19:12
College <o.O>; He's a senior (though he won't be graduating till next year). He's going back on the 13th because he's moving back into the dorms early; classes don't start till the 21st.

That's a pretty reasonable idea Chaos0xomega, I'll definitely give that some consideration.

*edit*

I sometimes forget this isn't a largely American community >.< so sometimes my terminology may not mean what I think it means.

Around here, it's very common to refer to college as "school"; but I forget, alot of places refer to it as university >.<; My apologies if I throw anyone off like that - not my intent!

chaos0xomega
07-08-2007, 02:40
I had a discussion on 40ko I think about that once. Apparently some Brits were just as confused as we are sometimes, them referring to it as "University" and us as "college" or "school" has apparently given them a slightly negative image of many of our intellectual abilities....

Mott
07-08-2007, 02:47
erm, my friend tried to get his 16 year old little brother into 40k. They proxied using a combination of blank bases and 1/72 scale army men. Playing a proxy game on a board with small amounts of crappy terrain is the easiest way to get someone not to play 40k again. Take him to a hobby center (preferably GW specific) and wow him with fancy tables and showcases full of beautiful models and big forge world kits. And keep him away from the little kids with tyranid hordes painted with magic markers :chrome:

MrPickles
07-08-2007, 03:22
I'll be using my Silverblades (Blood Angels successor) and it'll be my very first game as well - he seems to like Necrons thus-far; though he's not 100% set on an army to use.

Your first game after 700+ posts? Darn, and I thought I had won the award for most posts without playing a single game.....

mistformsquirrel
07-08-2007, 04:02
Your first game after 700+ posts? Darn, and I thought I had won the award for most posts without playing a single game.....

I only assembled my first miniature about 2 weeks ago <^.~> Poverty can do wonders to force patience! <T_T>;

BajsArne
07-08-2007, 09:57
How annoying it would be if you found out you hated the game.

mistformsquirrel
07-08-2007, 10:01
Nah, I love the minis heh; even if I find the game isn't for me at all, I'll probably keep buying and converting. And probably get more elaborate too since I wouldn't be constrained to army lists <,<;

Ha7y
07-08-2007, 10:33
Yeah take him down to your local GW , that's how I got into 40K - asked for a game - owned his ass (apparently)

Colonel Raijan
07-08-2007, 10:40
Uh your first game...moving on if you are trying to get him to play make sure he doesn't lose HORRENDOUSLY. And at GW they engineer the starting forces so that the customer wins. 5 Termies, 5 Jump packers vs 12 Gaunts, 12 genestealers and a carnifex...

Sureshot05
07-08-2007, 10:55
I change the scenario for first games, try something like this:

1500 pts of Necrons vs 750 of Marines.

The classic rising tide of the dammed. Abandoned, outnumbered, outgunned and with an unrelenting tide of the android killers, these marines have chosen to do what they do best, and die taking as many of these metal b*st*rds with them. Explain the backdrop to the story and don't worry to much about the rules or set up, make sure its an easy relaxed atmosphere.

Take the first turn to show him the rules, but concentrate on having fun. If you cannot remember a rule then either look it up together, roll off or just forget it. As you are playing and know that you aren't going to win it gives him a good impression from the game, secondly, the principle is to do as much damage to his force equal to the size of your force and then you can feel like you've got a morale victory. The game should be about having fun, and by making it unbalanced neither side feels too undone by rules confusions or upsets. If you can evoke the atmosphere of a great story and challenge, whilst both chatting and having a good time, then he may start to enjoy the game and consider it.

Finally, forget all the special rules like deep strike, infiltrate etc as these are overwhelming for players on the first game. (These rules are great for the second - "you remember those guys with the rocket packs? Well, normally they dive out of low flying aircraft and paradrop straight into action, normally slamming their boots straight into the targets face" and show him the pic in the rulebook).

mistformsquirrel
07-08-2007, 11:28
Ooo... Sureshot I think that may be *Exactly* what I needed... that'll give him *WAY* more freedom to do what he wants and not feel constrained. (The FoC's basic requirements cause quite the pinch on low-point necron armies!)

And I definitely don't care about winning honestly; especially in this case, but even in general, especially if there's a good story to be told...

*gets into plotting mode* <- D&D DM, I has an evil mind for this sort of thing, mwahaha...

mistformsquirrel
12-08-2007, 08:58
Well - I just wanted to let everyone know, we ran the game today <^_^> We both had a lot of fun, though I always forget how cunning my bro is. Doubling his points was probably unnecessary, as I think despite not knowing many of the rules he'd have smashed me anyways.

Still, it was a blast!

I'll be putting up a battle report sometime in the next couple days so you can see how everything went.

Btw: Coins make surprisingly good proxies for a Necron army. Oh, and Immortals are bastards >.< complete and total bastards.

I <3 W
12-08-2007, 16:22
heres my list (its 1.5k), its easy to make with a battleforce, ebay and a lil more:
HQ
Necron Lord
~destroyer
~res orb
~warscythe
Elites
none
Troops
14 Warriors
Dis feilds
14 warriors
dis feilds