PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Empire (possible GT)

Atrahasis
06-08-2007, 12:13
Arch Lector of Sigmar @ 306 Pts
Heavy Armour
Van Horstman's Speculum
Shield of the Gorgon
Sword of Justice
War Altar

Captain @ 149 Pts
Lance; Full Plate Armor; Shield; Pegasus
Aldred's Casket of Sorcery

Battle Wizard @ 130 Pts
Magic Level 2
Rod of Power

Battle Wizard @ 140 Pts
Magic Level 2; Warhorse
Doomfire Ring

10 Flagellant Warbands (Core) @ 100 Pts

25 Swordsmen @ 175 Pts
Standard; Musician, Duellist
9 Free Company @ 45 Pts

25 Spearmen @ 170 Pts
Shield; Standard; Musician, Sergeant
9 Free Company @ 45 Pts

10 Handgunners @ 80 Pts
5 Crossbowmen @ 40 Pts
5 Crossbowmen @ 40 Pts

6 Knightly Orders @ 162 Pts
Musician; Preceptor

Great Cannon @ 100 Pts
Great Cannon @ 100 Pts

5 Pistoliers @ 107 Pts
Outrider with Repeater Pistol

5 Pistoliers @ 107 Pts
Outrider with Repeater Pistol

Casting Pool: 6
Dispel Pool: 6
Models in Army: 128

Total Army Cost: 1996

Thoughts? My biggest fear is that I've basically put together a list of items that always turn up in armies I write, and so it may not work well as a whole.

The other concern is the amount I have invested in the Arch Lector - I may be tempted to strip down his compliment of magic items a bit.

Von Wibble
06-08-2007, 12:36
Arch lector - identical to mine. But I play 2500 so not sure if he's too pricy?

No scrolls (that might just be your playing style though...)

What would concern me about the army is that the swordsmen and spearmen aren't backed up by characters, and the flagellants are too small a unit to really be anything other than reinforcements. Assuming detachments are carefully nullified that means you are lacking combat power. You need a more solid cntre - either upgrading one unit to greatswords (smaller unit so points cost similar) or adding characters to units.

If your arch lector were to go on foot that could help - there really isn't that much a war altar can achieve in this army build - I find that more knight heavy armies are more suitable (or greatswords which will hold a charge) Maybe a warrior priest instead of Ring wizard to lead the other unit (or the knights)?

Just for ease of delpoyment I would make the handgunner unit larger and drop a detachment. I tend to run units of 16 (yes the number in the old box!) with 5 free company detachment.

Outrider for pistoliers is less efficient than an extra pistolier iirc (same shooting, 1 more wound I think). But in money he is cheaper!

I think every component is strong but I'm not sure if they work well together. A lot of your units are excellent support troops but have to work supporting something.

Atrahasis
06-08-2007, 13:16
Arch lector - identical to mine. But I play 2500 so not sure if he's too pricy?Yeah, I think he might be a bit points heavy for a very specific role.

No scrolls (that might just be your playing style though...)I never ever take scrolls, the possible 9 dispel dice combined with the spell-thief captain should be enough hopefully. I've attended GTs with 3 dispel dice as my total magic defense in the past, so fingers crossed.

What would concern me about the army is that the swordsmen and spearmen aren't backed up by characters,Well, they can be. They're as fast (except when charging) as the Lector, and the captain is mobile enough to assist, but I appreciate your point.

and the flagellants are too small a unit to really be anything other than reinforcements.10 Unbreakable wounds is more than enough - I'm wary of sinking too many points into 10-point T3 no save models.

You need a more solid cntre - either upgrading one unit to greatswords (smaller unit so points cost similar)A unit of greatswords won't give me a more solid centre (and I'd have to lose a special unit). A smaller unit of Greatswords would be a unit of 15 at best, which, after a few missile/magic casualties, will need stubborn because it won't be winning many combats.

If your arch lector were to go on foot that could helpI don't think 2 S4(6) attacks make that much difference, he's in a far beter position to support with chariot impact hits than with his innate combat ability. Hatred in the units would be nice I suppose, but Volkmar is only a few points more if I really wanted that.

Just for ease of delpoyment I would make the handgunner unit larger and drop a detachment. I tend to run units of 16 (yes the number in the old box!) with 5 free company detachment. A unit of 16 with a detachment of 5 is harder to deploy than 10+5+5, and offers far less tactical advantage when it comes to target selection.

Outrider for pistoliers is less efficient than an extra pistolier iirc (same shooting, 1 more wound I think).An outrider improves the quality of 2 shots, and adds two more shots at that higher quality. An extra pistolier only adds 2 shots (and the wound). There's also the model consideration - the models I have give me the choice of 5 pistoliers, 5 with champion, or 6 with champion.

A lot of your units are excellent support troops but have to work supporting something.That's pretty much my fear as outlined in my post. Suppose I'll have to do some serious playtesting and see what's lacking.

Sureshot05
06-08-2007, 13:30
I agree with the previous poster that you may want to increase the numbers of flagellants. I know you said they are fragile, but combined with their sacrifices and the unlikelyhood of them getting the charge (assume for the worst, hope for the best ;) ) I would suggest that increasing their numbers to 15 would be an idea.

The army is very vulnerable to fear and has no battle standard either. Its a dangerous risk as Undead and Terror causing Daemons will munch through a lot of your army. I can't help but think that the army lacks strength to stand up in a fight, but I've not tried out the new arch-lector yet so I can't be fully sure.