PDA

View Full Version : 568th Death Korp Regiment

Pages : [1] 2

T-hawk
06-08-2007, 13:17
Welcome!

I think I finally have enough DK troops to start painting them. I will continue to post new pics as I get them painted.

T-hawk
07-08-2007, 02:22
Troops waiting to be primed:

30 troops at ease
10 troops advancing
10 grenadiers
1 command
3 heavy bolter squads
3 mortar squads
1 auto-cannon squad

T-hawk
07-08-2007, 02:25
30 troops at ease from the Gorgon set of 50. It took a few nights to get them apart and trimmed up. I still think it's a great deal for 50 troops for under $100!

T-hawk
07-08-2007, 02:27
My vehicles & heavy artillery so far....

3 heavy mortars
1 thudd gun
2 basilsk
Command salamander

Macharius Vanquisher is on order.

T-hawk
07-08-2007, 02:29
These are in line to be assembled:

10 death riders
10 troops advancing
4 artillery crews
3 lascannon squads
1 DK commisar mod

Light of the Emperor
07-08-2007, 03:12
Wow, very nice!

How much "damage" is visible on the seperated "at ease" troopers?

Astador
07-08-2007, 03:58
I was wondering the same as LotE. I myself was planning on the same thing. Any tips?

thewizardofoz
07-08-2007, 04:16
i love DK and am looking forward to another log gracing us with its presence here on warseer. can't wait to see this thing progress.

Kasrkin 666
07-08-2007, 04:46
Well time to subscribe to this!:D Thats a LOT of models. How much did it all cost, if its not too much to ask.

-Sunny:cool:

muskrat
07-08-2007, 05:16
I'd say about 20 troops worth of damage is visible...

Unless that means you got 20 DKOK troops sitting around. you'd make a nice penny for em.

T-hawk
07-08-2007, 13:52
Welcome to the 568 regiment - thanks for all of the comments!

T-hawk
07-08-2007, 13:54

Unless that means you got 20 DKOK troops sitting around. you'd make a nice penny for em.

Only two models need repair so far. The rest are still together in a line. I plan on keeping the rest for use with my trench system. I forgot to get a pic of that last night.

It's really pretty easy to get them apart. It takes slight re-shaping of the arms and cuffs to get them looking correct. I didn't need to use green stuff as others have mentioned. Use a new x-acto blade and make several light cuts. After then, you just bend them apart.

I'll get some close up pics for you and post them.

T-hawk
07-08-2007, 14:08
Well time to subscribe to this!:D Thats a LOT of models. How much did it all cost, if its not too much to ask.

-Sunny:cool:

My wife isn't paying you to ask is she?.....;)

I would estimate around 1k so far. This does not include the vanquisher.

The Memphis bunker stocks alot of DK since the manager there is also building a DK army.

Also, it happens to be located close to my route to/from work.... I "hate" that!

Darkane
07-08-2007, 17:08
Awesome! Another death korps log, can't wait to see them get painted. This is yet another death korps log I'll have to watch. :p

Colonel Stagler
07-08-2007, 21:08
A mighty fine regiment of our beloved Korps, fine work there T-Hawk
Stagler out

T-hawk
08-08-2007, 14:02

Muskrat-

I got a close-up of the troops I had to work on. It's not hard, but takes some time to shape them into a realistic looking arm.

The other pics are of the trench system and the left over troops from the pack of 50.

Light of the Emperor
08-08-2007, 14:14
Well look at that...it does work. That is indeed a very good way to build up infantry.

T-hawk
10-08-2007, 12:07
A quick update from the 568th HQ:

The korps from above!
I now have a Valkyrie for my grenadiers. I plan to convert the two figs that were left from the gorgon group as the door gunners this weekend - pics to follow.

I need two more Thudd guns to finish off my artillery group. I might have to make a detour past the bunker on the way home today.

Still waiting on the Macharius Vanquisher and new command to clear customs......

Painting this week was delayed so I could finish my AI miniatures. 3 Lightnings, 14 Thunderbolts, 4 Marauders, and 4 Marauder Destroyers. All will be done by tomorrow. This clears the slate to get busy painting the korps!

T-hawk out

T-hawk
12-08-2007, 03:12
Saturday's update:

I was able to get all of my assembled troops primed today. In addition, I built up two more thudd guns last night and primed them. I plan on making my bases for the thudd guns and heavy mortars tomorrow. CD sized bases with cut-outs for three troops is the plan.

I have decided to go with Field Gray as my uniform color. It's based on the SS uniform from approx. 1940. The grenadiers will have their own uniform color that will be slightly different.

I found a kit that I am going to bash for apocalypse which will use the "flower petal" template. Dave Larson's quad basilsk gun from GD Chicago got me thinking about making a massive custom vehicle. More on this as it evolves....

T-hawk
13-08-2007, 02:37
Sunday update-

The IG door gunners have been replaced by DK ones...

pretty easy mod with heads and boots swapped for DK

Lew_b81
13-08-2007, 02:40
The scale is a bit off... :confused:
Do you not have any spare at ease Kriegers that could fill the role?

T-hawk
14-08-2007, 03:20
Lew-

I know what you mean about the scale. It was a decision to modify the IG or try to heavily modify the arms from the troops at rest. I'm not very good at using greenstuff, so I picked the IG mod. I plan on trimming them down a bit to remove some of the "puffiness" in their flight suits. If that fails, I am thinking I could modify two of the troops from the heavy mortar squad.

T-hawk
16-08-2007, 03:48
New arrival from customs today -

catbarf
16-08-2007, 04:21
Whoah, the door gunners look efdup.... I think you need to replace the hands, and the legs remind me of cartoons with the big thighs and tiny feet.

I really like what you did with the Gorgon squad. Very nice.

T-hawk
16-08-2007, 12:10
Ya, the gunners still need "some" work. I'm counting them as an experiment and a skill builder.

Thanks for the comment about the Gorgon squad. It's a great deal if you are collecting DK.

More pics to come soon. The Vanquisher and 10 death riders are planned to get primed over the weekend.

Crippler
20-08-2007, 13:38
Get some color on them, there are already to many logs with no painted DKoK, lol ;-)

I must admit I do not like the gunners either, they look like Mr Muscle on Steroids, use the mortar crew, with FW prices you need them to look as good as they are.

Where are the pictures of that Malcador!!!!

They have added the DKoK to AB, this was done via the AB40k Maintainers site

http://www.ab40k.org

GundamMecha
20-08-2007, 15:09
T Hawk great looking stuff.

I too am after a vanquisher macharius. Did it come with lascannon sponsons? I can only see Heavy Bolter, Heavy Flamer, and Heavy Stubber ones.

Regarding the pilots.

All Imperial Flyers are Imperial Navy not Imperial Guard. Therefore you won't need to make the valkyrie door gunners Kreig troopers. Since the Navy use their own crew in the Valkyrie, IA1 specifically mentions that door gunners are included in the ships regular crew and are not passengers.

If I were you I would steer away from the krieg influences on the door gunners. Its out of place background wise.

Crippler
20-08-2007, 19:18
Hope you don't mind me posting my log here mate, you can post yours on mine ;-)

http://warseer.com/forums/science-fiction-project-logs/85498-small-dkok-army-but-expensive-science-fiction-painting-logs.html

You can see the entire details of what is included on my log Gundam and no you can not have lascannons, stubbers are standard, then optional upgrades to HB or Flamers.

GundamMecha
20-08-2007, 19:40
Thanks Crippler thats much appreciated.

Nice blog by the way, its certainly an impressive force.

I spent ages converting a krieg armageddon basilisk to find out that the army list in IA5 doesn't allow them. I was a bit gutted to say the least, I may use t to count as an heavy artillery immobile earthshaker if I use the Seige list.

I've found quite a few errors or contradictions in the list so I'm not sure which direction to take. As of yet theres no FW FAQ for it.

T-hawk
20-08-2007, 23:34
[QUOTE=Crippler;1842725]Hope you don't mind me posting my log here mate, you can post yours on mine ;-)

http://warseer.com/forums/science-fiction-project-logs/85498-small-dkok-army-but-expensive-science-fiction-painting-logs.html

cross-posting works for me! :D

T-hawk
20-08-2007, 23:37
T Hawk great looking stuff.

If I were you I would steer away from the krieg influences on the door gunners. Its out of place background wise.

That's what I suspected..... As I cut up the IG minis, I was thinking that they might be a listed part of the crew. Oh well, I guess I'll have to stop by the bunker and order two new ones.

While I'm there however......

Crippler
21-08-2007, 08:42
lol you just can't keep away, can you mate!!!!

@Gundam, thanks it is a FW master piece. You could get the Malcador tank with the 5 HB and 2 Lascannons or the new Malcador that has a Battlecannon and 3 lascannons

Still learning
23-08-2007, 12:19
hahah, I love those door gunners! excellent!

75hastings69
23-08-2007, 12:31
I would love an Army Builder file.

Marovian
23-08-2007, 12:50
Looking good, that's a great way to get loads of DKoK infantry and well done for not damaging any of them.

T-hawk
23-08-2007, 12:59
I'm going back to IG gunners..... so much for that experiment!

Crippler
23-08-2007, 13:01
lol, if you don't try you don't get.

T-hawk
23-08-2007, 13:07
Painting update:

I am now using auto primer for the resin parts as the GW primer (black paint) was not adhering well. Last nights group was 10 Death riders, 3 heavy mortars, and 3 thudd guns. The Vanquisher and the Malcador are next in line.
I'm planning to airbrush the tanks and the salmander this weekend. Pics to follow soon...

BTW, I've finished building a small spray booth for painting indoors. I use A/C filters mounted in a box as a back wall. The box is attached to a shop vac and the exhaust is vented outside through a fitting that is mounted to the window. Let me know if anyone would like more info or pics of the booth.

Baron von Lexus
23-08-2007, 19:06
Ya what kind of spray paint are you using? I've had a problem with the Choas Black stuff from GW but the new cans I have work fine. It'd be nice though to have another consistent option. Btw I like where this log is going so keep it up and get some troops painted.

T-hawk
24-08-2007, 04:21
I'm using Dupli-Color sandable primer in flat black. It appears to be working better than the other. Also, it's $4.50 vs $10 a can....

My painting has been delayed while I finish the "MOAB" (Mother of all Bombard) vehicle. It's a conversion project for the flower petal template used in apocalypse. If all goes as planned, I'll be posting pics of it this weekend.

T-hawk
24-08-2007, 04:52
OK - I have a new idea for the gunners...

I was looking through my "to be built" box and came across the gunners from my trench system. I think they will make excellent gunners for the valkyrie. I know GundamMecha has made the comment that they would be IG, not Krieg manning the guns. Yet, I still like the idea of seeing DK troops blasting away with a swivel mount heavy bolter. Perhaps the original crew were shot and the DK are now manning the guns? Ya, that's the ticket!

Crippler
24-08-2007, 07:49
Sounds like a plan, after all it's not as if you have to stick to the fluff 100%, there your models do what you want mate ;-)

T-hawk
25-08-2007, 05:02
The bunker had the trench gunners in stock.....and a Gorgon too!!

In addition to the 40k DK, I saw that they had 3000 pts of Siege IG for Epic. So now I will be fielding DK for both scales....

Death Korp
25-08-2007, 23:27
Gaahhh, your making me want to do Krieg instead of renegades!!!! Which do you think is best?

By the way, nice models, get some painted! :)

DK

T-hawk
26-08-2007, 02:29
Thanks! Painting in progress....

I finished up the Malcador tonight. I had a slight "delay" this afternoon - a made a rookie mistake using a dull xacto blade and put a nice slice thru my index finger. DOH!!! After a few hours of convincing the wife I could be trusted with sharp objects again, I was able to get it assembled.

The comm antenna is piano wire. I have a very expensive tool I use to make perfect circles at the top. It almost looks like I drilled a hole thru the tube from a ball point pen....

Also, I was able to get my 568th DK stencils painted onto my battle boxes. I found these at Walmart for under $20 each. The GW foam trays fit in them perfectly! Enough room inside for almost 20 trays. Plenty of space for troops and vehicles for a afternoon game at the bunker.

MOAB pics coming tomorrow.....

thewizardofoz
26-08-2007, 06:25
what are those 'battle boxes' exactly? i live by a walmart, and those seem to work great.

T-hawk
26-08-2007, 13:10
It says "Sterilite 1842" on the boxes. They arrived at our Walmart with all of the other school stuff last month. I've never seen them before then. They are either black or blue in color and have wheels at one end so you can pull it behind you. Hope it helps with your search.

Death Korp
26-08-2007, 15:22
Loving the Krieg T-Hawk! But my problem is, you know your poll? There is no point in it really, as there is already a DKOK List on AB :). Kill me if you already know :evilgrin:.

DK

T-hawk
27-08-2007, 18:17
Thanks for the comments
No killing here, I didn't know about the file..... ;-)

Could you post the link to the file? I went to AB40k, but could not get the latest update to import. Do you know if it's an AB2 or AB3 file?

T-hawk
28-08-2007, 11:12
I found the file at the AB company website - Thanks for the heads up!

I couldn't post my painting pics last night since the site was down. However, I'll get them online later today.

Colonel Stagler
28-08-2007, 13:34
DKoK valkerye would be cool i think :)

Axel
28-08-2007, 15:48
T-hawk,

may I ask your permission to enroll the 568th Regiment in the project list of the DKoK-page (see sig)?

BTW: Yes, I would use the army-builder list, though I would probably not field a Siege army in competetive games for the base cost of 8 for each and any infantryman.

T-hawk
28-08-2007, 16:57
Axel-

Adding the 568th Regiment thread would be great! I appreciate the offer.

T-hawk
28-08-2007, 17:02
As promised, painting pics and the MOAB....

Metal Fingered Villain
28-08-2007, 17:12
Man those are looking really good, whatever that giant devastating doom cannon mortar of doom tank is is really sick. With some weathering and detail painting, those tanks will be very impressive.

Maynard
28-08-2007, 17:31
Beautiful, just beautiful. that massive gun carriage is incredibly imaginative you must be proud man seriously!!

Colonel Stagler
28-08-2007, 17:50
Just a quick one, can DKoK take salamanders?
If they can, im definately getting one :)

Negrodamus
29-08-2007, 11:05
Beautiful, just beautiful. that massive gun carriage is incredibly imaginative you must be proud man seriously!!

Fairly certain some dude on WIP built that

Colonel Stagler
29-08-2007, 11:32
That huge gun carriage is a Karl Superheavy Mortar, The Germans used them in WW2, They only used them twice, once at the siege of sevastopol and once somewhere else. It took something like half an hour to reload and fire.
Nice work T-Hawk, what you gonner count it as?
Stagler out

T-hawk
29-08-2007, 12:41
Colonel Stagler knows his WWII artillery - you are correct sir!

I was thinking about the the huge quad basilsk at Games Day Chicago. I liked the quad barrels, but did not like the carriage it was mounted on. I decided I would also like to mod a vehicle for the huge template in Apocalypse. My original thought was a rail gun, but it was almost 3' long.... So, I found the Morser 60cm "Karl" mortar on closeout at spruebrothers.com. I adjusted the railing to the right height for 40k and added the front hatch. I also added a control panel, toolboxes, imperial logos, and misc. bits. They should all show up alot better when it gets finished. I'll VDR it for Apocalypse, and use it as a bombard for other games. Here's the history on the real one:

"The Karl series of mortars (Mörser Karl) (Gerät 040) were built by the Germans during the Second World War and designed to take out heavily fortified positions. The vehicle moved on treads, but mostly for aiming as the engines provided very slow speed for huge fuel consumption; thus transporting was done by hanging the whole chassis between two huge railway bogies. In total, six Karl-class guns were manufactured. These guns had the names Adam, Eva (1st Batt.), Thor, Odin (2nd Batt.), Loki, and Ziu. The self-propelled version of the 60cm siege mortar was ordered in June 1937. General Karl Becker of the Artillery was involved in the development, (explaining where the huge mortar gained it's nickname).
At first the Mörser Karl was developed for use in the campaign against France's Maginot line, but as France had surrendered, it was put to use for the first time on the Russian front against the Brest Fortress in 1941 and saw action in the siege of Sevastopol in 1942. One mortar (Ziu) was employed against the Warsaw Uprising in 1944. The shells fired by the mortar weighed two tons each."

The Salamander is for my company HQ since the rest will all have centars. I twisted the fluff a bit and went ahead with it since the DK have a communications trojan which uses the same chassis. Some of my stuff I have because I think it looks good - fluff correct or not. If I use it in a tourney, I will proxy it as a centar - provided that FW rules are allowed.....

Thanks for all of the comments about "Karl".

T-hawk
Fairly certain some dude on WIP built that

I haven't seen a Morser mod yet, any idea what the thread is for the project you mentioned? I would like to see what mods someone else has done with their kit.

Thanks

Negrodamus
I haven't seen a Morser mod yet, any idea what the thread is for the project you mentioned? I would like to see what mods someone else has done with their kit.

Thanks

its been a while, you'll have to go over and check it out

Baron von Lexus
Colonel Stagler knows his WWII artillery - you are correct sir!

I was thinking about the the huge quad basilsk at Games Day Chicago. I liked the quad barrels, but did not like the carriage it was mounted on. I decided I would also like to mod a vehicle for the huge template in Apocalypse. My original thought was a rail gun, but it was almost 3' long.... So, I found the Morser 60cm "Karl" mortar on closeout at spruebrothers.com. I adjusted the railing to the right height for 40k and added the front hatch. I also added a control panel, toolboxes, imperial logos, and misc. bits. They should all show up alot better when it gets finished. I'll VDR it for Apocalypse, and use it as a bombard for other games. Here's the history on the real one:

"The Karl series of mortars (Mörser Karl) (Gerät 040) were built by the Germans during the Second World War and designed to take out heavily fortified positions. The vehicle moved on treads, but mostly for aiming as the engines provided very slow speed for huge fuel consumption; thus transporting was done by hanging the whole chassis between two huge railway bogies. In total, six Karl-class guns were manufactured. These guns had the names Adam, Eva (1st Batt.), Thor, Odin (2nd Batt.), Loki, and Ziu. The self-propelled version of the 60cm siege mortar was ordered in June 1937. General Karl Becker of the Artillery was involved in the development, (explaining where the huge mortar gained it's nickname).
At first the Mörser Karl was developed for use in the campaign against France's Maginot line, but as France had surrendered, it was put to use for the first time on the Russian front against the Brest Fortress in 1941 and saw action in the siege of Sevastopol in 1942. One mortar (Ziu) was employed against the Warsaw Uprising in 1944. The shells fired by the mortar weighed two tons each."

The Salamander is for my company HQ since the rest will all have centars. I twisted the fluff a bit and went ahead with it since the DK have a communications trojan which uses the same chassis. Some of my stuff I have because I think it looks good - fluff correct or not. If I use it in a tourney, I will proxy it as a centar - provided that FW rules are allowed.....

Thanks for all of the comments about "Karl".

Good job with finding the history saved me from typing it all out. :)
Where'd you get that thing? I'm looking for Giant artillery too for my Death Korps and i think that thing fits the bill perfectly. I think the Death Korps needs something a bit bigger than a basilisk as Artillery. I'm in the process of procuring and converting a Panzerhaubitze 2000 for a suped-up version of a basilisk as SP Artillery and I'd love to know where you got that thing as another option.

I like your stuff alot,
Baron

T-hawk
Try www.spruebrothers.com for the Morser kit. That's where I got mine - great price too!

Ya, I thought the same thing about Krieg needing a MOAB
siege weapon. It's probably a love it or hate it idea.

Thanks

Baron von Lexus
29-08-2007, 20:28
Nice man I like it... I might pick up one of those... because You can never have enough Artillery. Dont mind if I steal your idea do ya?

Darkane
29-08-2007, 23:06
Great looking stuff, the malcador is my favorite by far...I'm seriosly considering getting one. One question though! You have both the malcador and macharius. I was wondering if one of the crewman that comes with the macharius fits well onto the top hatch of the malcador? The guy i'm talking about is the crewman poking his head out of a hatch below the battle cannons on the macharius. For some reason I think it looks kinda funny to have that second guy poking out right there so I left that hatch closed on my own macharius and now I've got him as a spare piece but was wondering if he would fit alright in the malcador.

T-hawk
30-08-2007, 00:00
Great looking stuff, the malcador is my favorite by far...I'm seriosly considering getting one. One question though! You have both the malcador and macharius. I was wondering if one of the crewman that comes with the macharius fits well onto the top hatch of the malcador? The guy i'm talking about is the crewman poking his head out of a hatch below the battle cannons on the macharius. For some reason I think it looks kinda funny to have that second guy poking out right there so I left that hatch closed on my own macharius and now I've got him as a spare piece but was wondering if he would fit alright in the malcador.

That's a great idea - wish I would have thought of that... I have 3 Krieg tank commanders on order for my vehicles that need them. I started on my Gorgon last night and found that the driver in the kit will make a great driver for the MOAB. Looks like another order in the making...

Negrodamus
30-08-2007, 01:11
T-hawk I just got my Macharius vanquisher in the mail and have no need for the krieg crewman in the kit as I don't play krieg, you wouldn't be interested in trading them for your malcador tank commander would you?

T-hawk
30-08-2007, 01:49
Sweet deal! That would be great. Let me know if you want the IG or the renegade commander. PM me with the address I need to send it to and I'll do the same.

Thanks

Negrodamus
30-08-2007, 03:01
Pm sent, I'll be sending it out tomorrow )

T-hawk
01-09-2007, 14:04
568th HQ building update-

I've been fighting a summer cold for the past few days. So, no painting has been completed this week. I would like to get the Gorgon assembled and primed by Sunday, with a camo painted by Monday. When complete, I plan to start washing and detailing all of the DK vehicles.
I've base-coated all of my troops with field gray. Pics of them will be included with the vehicles at the end of the weekend.

Death Korp
01-09-2007, 17:06
Groovy, looking forward to the Gorgon!!! :)

All i can say is thank god for army builder, or i would ahve been stuck in my room for god knows how long working out the maths! Ahhh, i can't add up!!!!
:D

DK

Darkane
01-09-2007, 17:43
Aweseome can't wait to see everything.

T-hawk
03-09-2007, 03:34
I assembled and primed the Gorgon today. That is a nice kit - well detailed and pretty massive in size. I plan to paint it with my camo pattern tomorrow.
I would also like to get started on the titan tomorrow. Probably just getting it scrubbed to remove the molding release will be enough.

I'm using a wash that is 1 part Future floor wax and 4 parts water. I think I have too much black ink mixed in because it is making the model several shades darker. Any ideas?

T-hawk
03-09-2007, 21:43
weekend update pics-

I weathered the basilsks, salamander, thudd guns, heavy mortars, and the MOAB. I started thinking that if these vehicles had been around extreme environments for a hundred plus years, they would not look like they rolled out of the factory. So, I used a heavy wash to create a well rusted look. I know it's a pretty big change from the original gray, but I wanted this stuff to look well used and abused. I plan to make a few others less weathered to represent newer replacements.

I'll be making "mud" this week for the treads - white glue, water, and mississippi mud for color! I'll post those pics later this week.

Let me know if anyone has any info on the upcoming DK releases.

jasevx
03-09-2007, 21:48
loving the huge mortar, very krieg

schoolcormorant
03-09-2007, 21:51
wow! is that a thor or a leopold or something?! :D

stunning painting too.

SC

Colonel Stagler
03-09-2007, 23:21
The Karl is coming on well, as is the basilisk. Looks neat, although id never have a chance to make a full Apocalypse Krieg force, my force will be rounded off about 2700 points if i decide to add horsies for the novelty, I will however use them with my Marines Malevolent as they are kitted out to complement them in battle.
The upcoming releases, we can expect to see the Commisar and QM coming to advance order in the next week or two.

Crippler
04-09-2007, 15:22
Very Very Nice, love that massive arty, looks like one of the WW2 German arty trains

T-hawk
05-09-2007, 02:01
Tuesday update-

I added some pics of the troops with the field gray base coat. I'll start to detail them soon. I also have a pic of the Gorgon and two Lascannon teams I assembled tonight.

jasevx
05-09-2007, 09:03
rough riders are awesome, just love the 'at ease' poses

tancrede
05-09-2007, 09:06
very nice work, man.
love your tanks !

T-hawk
05-09-2007, 13:32
Thanks to everyone for the nice comments. I'm glad my experiment with rusting them appears to be a success.

BTW, does anyone know how to remove a poll? Since a DK file was recently released on the AB3 website, the poll I have is moot. I've looked at every option I see available, but no "delete poll" options. Any ideas?

Thanks

Slobomeister
05-09-2007, 15:12
Sorry no ideas, but, man that giant tank look awsome. It does realy fit with the Death Korps. Can´t wait to see more painted pictures.

T-hawk
08-09-2007, 02:45
weekend update-

I stopped by the bunker tonight..........and added two grenadier centaurs, the new command group, and another lascannon team to the 568th regiment. I plan to get the camo stripes on the Gorgon later tomorrow or Sunday. I'll be busy with honey do's this weekend to get much else done.

Baron von Lexus
08-09-2007, 14:53
Damn man i wish i had that kinda money... i look forward to seeing the Grenadier centaurs.

Baron

T-hawk
08-09-2007, 22:35
Don't wish too much - the finance minister is shutting off the military fund once my second son arrives in November. After then, it will take an act of congress to get funding above what I make from my game store.

thewizardofoz
08-09-2007, 23:48
great korps. must cost you a pretty penny . . .

Baron von Lexus
09-09-2007, 16:24
Don't wish too much - the finance minister is shutting off the military fund once my second son arrives in November. After then, it will take an act of congress to get funding above what I make from my game store.

well then I see why your're buying it all now;)

T-hawk
11-09-2007, 03:06
Macharius Vulcan

Well, it's ah interesting looking.... not sure if I like it enough to add it to the 568th list. It seems like there is alot of space forward of the turret that needs to be balanced out. I would prefer a longer barreled gun like the A-10 warthog for spacing. What do you guys think? :confused:

Negrodamus
11-09-2007, 03:16
I dunno for some reason Assault cannons seem a bit high tech for Death Korps.

yes I do realise they have laser cannons :P, but those lascanons look like old school light AT guns

T-hawk
12-09-2007, 03:48
All-

I promise that this will be my one & only promotional blog comment. I recently purchased a game store - gamerzdepot.com. We will be starting to fill orders by Oct. 1st. We plan to stock all game systems, game accessories, and supplies.
Coming soon, we will be running a cross promotion with Crippler's store - gwonline.biz. This allows us to provide great prices and service on both sides of the pond.

Thanks,

T-hawk

Astador
12-09-2007, 04:07
awesome man! I'm gonna have to look into it!

Baron von Lexus
13-09-2007, 00:23
Hey will you sell Forge World to the US? If so I'll be one of you top customers...

Baron

sir.spamalot
13-09-2007, 01:01
Nice dude, yet another completely ace job on the Korps. Looking forward to seeing your progress:)

peace. the spam man

T-hawk
13-09-2007, 01:24
Hey will you sell Forge World to the US? If so I'll be one of you top customers...

Baron

Yes, we will be selling FW - after all, I am a Forge World junkie.... :D

T-hawk
13-09-2007, 01:28
Nice dude, yet another completely ace job on the Korps. Looking forward to seeing your progress:)

peace. the spam man

Thanks for the compliment. I really appreciate all of the encouragement everyone has given. I'll have a example of my infantry uniform coming soon.
It's been raining here all week, so my mudding project has been delayed. Why? - because I plan to grind the real Mississippi mud into a fine powder to mix with diluted white glue. The other "mud powder" will be used to dust the tanks.

sir.spamalot
13-09-2007, 14:45
well if it's raining why don't you just go out side and gather some real mud...

...not

:p

Crippler
13-09-2007, 16:19
Well you know me, I ordered one and of course the quarter master ;-)

T-hawk
14-09-2007, 01:02
Of course! It was a given for you....;)

One of my grenadier centaurs was missing a sprue, so I needed to return it. While I was there....... I got another Macharius with battle cannons and three stubber crews. QM and a hellhound on order.

Still raining here, so I am going to put my dirt on a cookie sheet and run it under the broiler for a few minutes to dry it out (I'll clean it before the wife finds out...). Pics to follow when it get the vehicles mudded up.

sir.spamalot
14-09-2007, 01:04
nice can't wait! Are you operating now as in right now or is that for future?

cheers

T-hawk
14-09-2007, 02:51
Sorry guys - my camera died tonight. It turns on to view pics in memory, but will turn off when I switch it to take a pic. A quick search on the net says that the lens motor has died - crap!!! I'll borrow the one from work over the weekend and get the pics I promised. The mud turned out pretty good though.

Astador
14-09-2007, 03:06
Can't wait to see them mate! If you don't mind, could you let me know what you think of my DKoK in my thread?

T-hawk
14-09-2007, 03:34
Can't wait to see them mate! If you don't mind, could you let me know what you think of my DKoK in my thread?

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'll be glad to help you out with what I have found that works for me.

Astador
14-09-2007, 03:39
Thanks mate, I just need people to comment and support my painting! lol

T-hawk
14-09-2007, 03:41

pls post a link to your thread - thanks

Astador
14-09-2007, 03:45
Sure thing mate! :D
http://warseer.com/forums/science-fiction-project-logs/100188-visions-of-war-apocalypse-6.html

T-hawk
14-09-2007, 03:55
Sure thing mate! :D
http://warseer.com/forums/science-fiction-project-logs/100188-visions-of-war-apocalypse-6.html

Nice job with the Korps! Field gray is my uniform color also. I use a black wash, than a field gray & white drybrush. I still need to build my new command squad.

Crippler
14-09-2007, 08:05
Of course! It was a given for you....;)

One of my grenadier centaurs was missing a sprue, so I needed to return it. While I was there....... I got another Macharius with battle cannons and three stubber crews. QM and a hellhound on order.

Still raining here, so I am going to put my dirt on a cookie sheet and run it under the broiler for a few minutes to dry it out (I'll clean it before the wife finds out...). Pics to follow when it get the vehicles mudded up.

You crack me up mate, you know we are not going to make any profit from these gaming stores and instead build larger armies!!!!

I have just ordered the Building Bricks of my new Bretonnians!!!! A Battalion Boxset, Army Book, 2 boxes of knights lol!!!!

T-hawk
14-09-2007, 13:34
My wife said the same thing about the store - My feeling is that if my family and all of our customers can get good deals in the hobby we like, I'll consider it a success. I'm getting the family involved also, so they can be a part of the store. I'm teaching my son how to play 40k and my wife likes to paint 40k and WHFB buildings.

Bretonnians eh? cool. I built up an Empire army earlier this year for a 10 week escalation league. Start at 500 points and go up 500 points per week for 10 weeks. It was a pretty sweet deal - I took first in the league and won a GW display case. Oh ya, I also had a 5000 pt. Empire army (painted too!) when it ended....

sir.spamalot
14-09-2007, 13:46
Did you mean to send me an advert for your store?:p I mean, it's good because I want to order the korps at some point in the far future.

:) cheers

Chaos and Evil
14-09-2007, 13:48
The bunker had the trench gunners in stock.....and a Gorgon too!!

In addition to the 40k DK, I saw that they had 3000 pts of Siege IG for Epic. So now I will be fielding DK for both scales....

If you're interested in fielding the DKOK in Epic, you might be interested in this:

http://www.tacticalwargames.net/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=74;t=10186

It's a community project direct towards creating a DKOK-specific armylist for Epic...

http://elf.planetquake.gamespy.com/Epic/epicgorgon.htm

Cheers. :)

T-hawk
14-09-2007, 13:59
Wow - that is awesome info ! Thanks for the link. A good friend of mine, Greg Lane, is an epic wizard. He got me back into it after a 15 year hiatus. When he saw my DKoK army, he said "now you need to make a DK (siegemasters) army for epic....". So, the seed was planted to create the 568th in both scales. No progress on them yet, but I did modify a set of Eric's Epic cards from Baran Siegemasters to the 568th Death Korps. If the Gorgon is for epic scale, how can I get them?

Thanks

T-hawk
14-09-2007, 14:03
Did you mean to send me an advert for your store?:p I mean, it's good because I want to order the korps at some point in the far future.

:) cheers

yes, I PM'ed you the info versus posting it as a public comment. I'm trying to keep on target with my 568th build. However, I'm happy to PM anyone with info about the store if they have questions.

Thanks

hallowed_are_the_ori
14-09-2007, 14:50
I love your army, and those army cases have inspired me to do the same with all my models :)

Crippler
14-09-2007, 20:13
Lol. well I wait with baited breath to see you store, we should do a banner exchange and help us both get up the web crawlers ratings!!!

T-hawk
14-09-2007, 23:59
pics as promised....

T-hawk
15-09-2007, 00:04
...and a few of the basic 568th infantry...

T-hawk
15-09-2007, 00:10
I love your army, and those army cases have inspired me to do the same with all my models :)

Glad you like them - I am working with a company to produce "pick and pluck" foam that is 16" x 28" and depths of 1",2",3", and 4". It will fit right inside the battle box and allow you to customize your box as needed. It ends up being a huge version of the Sabol case. The foam would cost around $15 per sheet, but is about 4 times the size of the normal tray. If anyone is interested, please let me know. The set-up charge for the die is pricey and I can't justify having them made unless I know there will be a decent demand.

Thanks

sir.spamalot
15-09-2007, 00:31
Cool, mud there. What was the formula? I would like to replicate, so to speak:)

cheers, looks great

T-hawk
15-09-2007, 00:44
recipe for model mud:

1 part fine mud - Mississippi mud preferred!
1 part yellow glue (wood glue) and water 50/50 mix

Mix & let sit for a few minutes. Depending on how thick you need, let it sit for additional time. If you can't find any fine mud, let me know and I'll send ya'll a bag!

T-hawk
16-09-2007, 02:51
I finished building my second Macharius today - I should be able to get it and the Centaur primed and basecoated tomorrow. pics to follow...

caven
16-09-2007, 04:33
awesome, can't wait to see the next update!

I just got 10 DKoK and am gonna start my own blog soon, just to think of a sceme....

and i cant wait untill your store is up so I can expand my force...:)

T-hawk
16-09-2007, 06:05
Pics of the Macharius and three comm antennas. I also included a few pics of the Dark Angel temple ruins I built a few months back. This was a pretty big project as the runs are approx 2' x 3'. I know it's not Krieg, but my other army I collect is the DA. Besides, they did fight with the DKoK on Vraks.....;)

Mr Zephy
16-09-2007, 21:45
Very nice terrain, it's brilliant. I just love the macharius in all its glory.

Baron von Lexus
17-09-2007, 00:44
looks sweet man. And ya I'm looking forward to your shop too.

Baron

Light of the Emperor
17-09-2007, 01:34
Nice work!

If you can offer those % off deals in the good 'ol USA, I will definately buy from your shop. Good luck with it!

T-hawk
17-09-2007, 02:26
Sunday update:

I was able to base coat the Macharius and the Grenadier Centaur. I'll follow them up with the disruption stripes later this week.

My son wanted to play 40k tonight, so I put the other painting on hold. He's just getting started, so we each get 10 marines and a vehicle. We use basic rules and he is really starting to like the game. I think it's a success as he's now asking me to play!

I'm getting read for the 'ard Boyz tourney next weekend. I've added another Centaur, three heavy bolter teams, another command salamander, a thunderer siege tank, and a trojan that I am going to convert into the communication vehicle on the Vraks poster.

T-Hawk

T-hawk
17-09-2007, 03:30
I forgot to mention that I saw the Baneblade and the Apocaypse book today. Both are big and very cool - worth the wait!! Both are available for preview at the Memphis bunker. There is a new Hellstorm bomb for the Marauder that creates an instant LZ for Valkyries. I feel the need for some future air support........ :D

Also, someone asked about using a Command Salamander for DK. If you look at the IA1 book, you will see a Krieg variant listed under the Salamander. It mentions that they are used as command vehicles for Heavy Tank Companies. Based on that, I am doing the same for the 568th.

T-hawk
18-09-2007, 03:16
Monday night build:

The Thunderer Siege tank and the Communication Trojan. The Siege tank has a Krieg filter mod. The blade was damaged to look like it had hit a mine - better the blade instead of the tank!

I need to get caught up with my honey do's - assemble a crib and a changing table tomorrow night.... looks like the Command Salamander will need to wait until Wednesday night.

T-hawk

ghost hunter
18-09-2007, 07:43
Great stuff t-hawk im loving the terrain

And i might nick your idea for the basic troops (cutting up the ones in strips)
because it works out at considerably cheaper than buying them separatly;)

Crippler
18-09-2007, 08:43
Where did you get the Communication Trojan from mate or how did you make it, I want one ;-)

The_Dark_Raven
18-09-2007, 09:36
"The blade was damaged to look like it had hit a mine", dude i love that so much!

sweet work

T-hawk
18-09-2007, 13:16
Thanks for the comments - glad you guys like the project so far.

The Communication Trojan is the basic Trojan less the ammo hoist. I'll be fabricating a satellite dish to fit where the hoist mounts. When finished, it should look like the dish on the Damocles Rhino. I plan to put a rare earth magnet on both the hoist and the dish. That will allow me to use either one as the mission calls for.

I know it's not a special vehicle, but I like the idea of a dedicated comm. vehicle too. It's on the poster from IA5 (aka my shopping list.....), so I knew I had to have one.

Crippler
18-09-2007, 14:10
Very nice mate, very nice.

sir.spamalot
18-09-2007, 14:48
Nice!:) looking good, I wish you luck in the tournament.

cheers

T-hawk
20-09-2007, 12:51
Thanks!

I'm opting out as the FW rules are not allowed for the tournament. I really wanted to play the siege list and experiment with them. oh well, back to the paint shop instead!!

T-hawk
20-09-2007, 12:58
Anyone seen the new Malcador? Twin Lascannons in place of the front bolters - Yes!!

And the new Commissar standing is awesome.

Crippler
20-09-2007, 13:31
FFS thats another two items on my must have list!!!!

Keno
20-09-2007, 17:47
Hmm. You do know that a basilisk cannot be bought in the IA5 dkok list?

Great work on them models!

T-hawk
21-09-2007, 00:43
Hmm. You do know that a basilisk cannot be bought in the IA5 dkok list?

Great work on them models!

Thanks for the comments - I use them when I plan in a game that does not allow FW rules. I use the DK as IG in that case, so I then use basilisk. Earthshakers are on the list of items to purchase... :)

T-hawk
21-09-2007, 02:09
Thursday update:

I finished the last Centaur and made a comm antenna for the Trojan. I used rare earth magnets so I can switch between a comm or an ammo vehicle.

T-hawk
21-09-2007, 03:50
Ok - the Macharius Vulcan has won - I've taken a liking to it and have ordered one. That will complete my set of 3 Marcharius tanks - original, vanquisher, and vulcan. I've also ordered the other two Malcador tanks, lascannon and battle cannon. This will complete my set of three Malcador tanks. After then, it will be siege gun platforms and more troops....no more after that.....ya right! :rolleyes:

Crippler
21-09-2007, 07:40
lol I knew you could not resist!!!!

If you are going to get basilisks get the enclosed ones, they will fit better with the theme of the army. I brought two and a Medusa one, before the siege list was released and to my horror the where not listed, DOH, so they where quickly snapped up by the other imperial guard regiments!!!!

Tsen
22-09-2007, 23:38
You sir have more money than god, cause that is a ridiculous amount of Death Korps. And I and so very envious. I can't wait to see what its all like when it's done.

Tsen

sir.spamalot
23-09-2007, 14:20
Wow, I love centuars :p

T-hawk
23-09-2007, 19:58
Sunday Update:

Finished building two of the stubber teams. The Heavy mortar and the thudd guns took a trip thru the mud...

I received my foam for the battle boxes. Using en electric knife, I cut the custom openings for the tanks I have. This is going to be an awesome way to transport my stuff around. It's like a custom Peli-case for 40k!!

T-hawk

Colonel Stagler
23-09-2007, 22:00
nice stuff there friend im especially liking the muds :)
Stagler out

T-hawk
25-09-2007, 13:41
Tuesday update:

I plan on building the titan this week as the Apocalypse start date draws near. I should have it done by the weekend and ready for paint. Anyone know of a resin T-hawk for sale?

T-hawk
28-09-2007, 12:16
Titan update:

I've only built the feet so far as it's taking a bit longer than I expected. I'll post some pics of my progress this weekend.

T-hawk

T-hawk
29-09-2007, 01:33
Happy Feet!!!

Darkane
29-09-2007, 21:32
lol dang, here comes the titan! Those feet look big, and I love the thudd guns and the mortars.

Captain_Wolverine
29-09-2007, 22:40
which pattern titan have you got, I have a mars pattern one and don't recognise your toes

Baron von Lexus
29-09-2007, 23:45
thats cool man

T-hawk
30-09-2007, 03:18
Thanks for the comments. Here's what it will look like when complete - different paint and weapons though. In that case, I guess it won't look like this....

The air cover has arrived! The 568th is now getting extra firepower with a Marauder bomber. This will blaze an instant LZ for the Valkyries with the new Hellstorm bombs from the Apoc book.

I had an extra Chimera kit sitting around so I got a Manticore kit for Apoc also. Gotta love those big blast templates!

T-hawk
30-09-2007, 12:55
Forgot to mention that I received the tank numbering decals from Archer. They are rub-on and applied dry. The ones I ordered are red with a white outline - ya, German WWII style. I also ordered kill markings for the turrets to show all of the Chaos that have been eliminated by our glorious korps! I'll post more pics later today.

T-hawk

T-hawk
01-10-2007, 00:06
titan update - almost finished!

Vanquisher #2 od the 16th Heavy Tank Company

Gorgon #2 of the 72nd Transport Company

More painting and pics later this week....

Baron von Lexus
01-10-2007, 02:33
Vanquisher looks awsome

Colonel Stagler
01-10-2007, 13:09
Did you use one of those air compressor sprayer thingies for those tanks, they look awesome mate, nice work

T-hawk
02-10-2007, 02:45
Glad to see you like them - thanks! Yes, I am learning to use my airbrush. I built a spray booth and am able to paint indoors. It uses a vacuum cleaner to move the air and a furnace filter to catch the paint. It vents outdoors, so no fumes in the house....

The tanks are now ready for 100 years of grime, dirt, and wear. I hope to get to them by the weekend.

T-hawk
11-10-2007, 13:52
Sorry for the delay - I've been busy with my epic DK and getting the final details ready to open the store. I'll have a few pics of the Vanquisher out later tonight. I hope to have the Marauder ready to go for the Apocalypse game at the Memphis bunker on Saturday. I'll post them as I get it built.

T-hawk

T-hawk
12-10-2007, 01:41
pics as promised...with a titan too!

Baron von Lexus
12-10-2007, 02:25
Thats pretty awsome man. I really like the vanquisher i'm probably going to end up getting one even though its about 5 days worth of minimum wage pay.

T-hawk
12-10-2007, 03:00
thanks - I painted the treads tonight, so it's time for mud next...

T-hawk
14-10-2007, 12:49
I know it's not project related, but I wanted to report on an Apocalypse battle I was in on Saturday. 160,000 points were on the table at the Memphis bunker. Yes, it was 160,000 points! Forces of good vs. evil was the theme. Your's truly was selected to be the supreme commander of the good guys. After 3 turns and 5 hours of play, the good guys held 2 objectives while the baddies held 0. It was alot of fun.

The apocalypse game was slightly organized chaos at best. However, the game mechanics worked well and the idea of playing a game that big in 5 hours was impressive. Speaking of impressive, a group from St.Louis showed up with a ton of space marines and a beloved T-hawk.

if you're interested in a HUGE game, the St.Louis group is trying to put together a million point game in February. That's right - one milllion points. If they get enough responses in advance, the GW store is going to rent out the dome for us to play in. Yep, the dome where the rams play football! You can contact Kirk at Siegeworld.com for more info.

Purshases for the weekend were a supression force for the DA and three baneblades for the korps. Time to get building again!

T-hawk

Baron von Lexus
15-10-2007, 00:30
Damn dude thats crazy... 3 baneblades? Thats going to be sweet.

Crippler
16-10-2007, 13:30
Hey dude can you tell me what paint sprayer you are using make and model please, cheers.

T-hawk
16-10-2007, 15:11
I'm using a Badger 155 "Anthem". It is an entry level brush that is pretty easy to use. I'm happy with the results so far. They are always available on Ebay for around $60 USD. I also use a compressor with an air tank. This helps to even out the airflow and avoid the variation in pressure that you get with the small compressors.

JonesRob
17-10-2007, 21:01
Hey T-Hawk,

This thread is truely inspiring, thankyou for your posts.

i really want to try using the gorgon squads and seperating them, definately easier on the wallet! a great idea.

The cammo you have on your vehicles is very effective, looking forward to see what you do on the Marauder.

keep up the good work!

GundamMecha
18-10-2007, 10:27
This is great work T Hawk, looking really really nice.

I've often considered Air brushing but it seems to complicated and messy.

I've always been a brush painter myself.

How have you found the cross over? Was it difficult to get good effects quickly or did you need a lot of practice?

T-hawk
18-10-2007, 12:36
Thanks - glad you like the work. I am new to the airbrush myself. I guess I played with it for an hour or so and got used to painting various widths of lines. My first project were aircraft for my AI navy. They required very small lines as they are much smaller in scale. I liked how they turned out, so it was a great confidence booster to keep using the airbrush. The airbrush I use helps alot for a beginner too. I also recommend a "pancake" compressor with an air tank over a small tankless one. The price is almost the same ($150) and you can use it for other projects too.

I'll be starting to add some pics of the DA army I have since I'm splitting my time between the DK and the DA. Apocalypse has given me the bug to finish my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th DA companies. Yes, that's 400 models plus vehicles that need painting.... I better get going!

GundamMecha
18-10-2007, 13:07
Thanks for the info T.

How practical would you say it is doing it indoors? I live in a one bedroom flat (apartment) with no garden and I share the only room we have in the place (its all open plan) with my girlfriend. So I don't think she'd be too keen on a big tank and compressor and the mess! Brushes she can handle (although I do get a hard time about turpentine sometimes!), airbrushes hooked up to vacuum cleaners maybe another story.

By the way its nice to see someone using Archers Dry Transfers. I use them too on my Dkok army. I tend to use a lot of scale model accessories (resin and brass) and paints/pigments - tools.

Once I actually make some progress with my painting (I have very little time and still have 3 squads of kreigsmen sitting in the bags. they've been like that for months!) I'll post some pics on warseer.

T-hawk
18-10-2007, 19:34
I spray inside, but I use a spray booth I made to catch the fumes and the overspray. Also, I use Tamiya paints and cut them with alcohol - no bad chemical smell that way. If I need to prime, I try to do that outside or I let the booth filter run while I step outside...

The pancake compressor is quite compact. However, it is noisy when it's filling the tank. I run with about 20 psi for my airbrush and can paint quite alot without running out of air.

Ebay has several hobby sized spray booths that you might consider if you want to airbrush indoors.

benfromidaho
18-10-2007, 21:37
Hey, how did you do the dirt between the armor plates on your tanks? I've been basically hard lining, but it's very time consuming. I can't imagine you airbrush this on.

T-hawk
19-10-2007, 03:06
How? - magic wash!....

http://www.paintingclinic.com/clinic/guestarticles/magicwash.htm

GundamMecha
19-10-2007, 09:54
Thanks T-Hawk that magic wash sounds good.

I wonder for pigments they say use inks or paints. Have you ever tried using Mig pigments with it? I wonder what effect it would have.

I've used Mig pigments with water and Turpentine for weathering washes but not for lining, i've normally done that by hand.

I wonder if this magic wash would work with oil based paints? I have some of Mig's oil gouche style paint for models. I've tried using it with turpentine but can never get it thin enough for light washes like this.

T-hawk
19-10-2007, 12:00
It only works with water based inks & paints.

noob killer
19-10-2007, 12:45
i was just wondering how much money you have spent on your death korp so far ,and how much more are you going to get.

T-hawk
19-10-2007, 15:58
good question - is my wife watching?... ;)

I would say that the DKoK goes for about $1 a point. That said, I think I have about 3500 to 4000 points.

When will it end? No time soon if I can help it. I admit that I enjoy the modeling side of 40k more than playing the game. I used to model WWII vehicles that did not have a game system. After time, they just collect dust. With 40k, I have the option of bringing them out on occasion and use them for a game.

I will be tapering off for a bit as I am trying to finish off my DA army. I am almost half-way (4 of 10 companies) toward my goal of building the entire chapter. I like to toggle between the two as it keeps me from getting burned out of doing the same thing multiple times. I guess it's the downside of being creative - I really dislike the repetetion of painting the same way.

Baron von Lexus
19-10-2007, 21:23
Holy crap man I envy your pocket book and love your work with the Death Korps.

But on a side note when is your store opening up?
Baron

T-hawk
20-10-2007, 00:09
Thanks for the compliment. We are opening next week on the 24th - finally!! ;-) Thanks to all for waiting on us.

sugar-free
20-10-2007, 04:21
have you had alot of problems with the forge models

T-hawk
20-10-2007, 12:17
Sorry FW guys, but I am going to give an honest answer. I would say that I have encountered a defect rate of around 10%. Luckily, I have been able to exchange the warped or mis-cast parts at the Memphis bunker. I would have expected a higher QC standard for the price of the models. I recently had to return the Marauder due to poorly fitting parts. The frustration with the models is one of the reasons I have started back again on my DA army. I'll give FW a few months to get the QC problem fixed and try again . In the meantime, I have alot of painting ahead of me!

Earthbeard
20-10-2007, 12:25
Sorry FW guys, but I am going to give an honest answer. I would say that I have encountered a defect rate of around 10%. Luckily, I have been able to exchange the warped or mis-cast parts at the Memphis bunker. I would have expected a higher QC standard for the price of the models. I recently had to return the Marauder due to poorly fitting parts. The frustration with the models is one of the reasons I have started back again on my DA army. I'll give FW a few months to get the QC problem fixed and try again . In the meantime, I have alot of painting ahead of me!

I find the larger the kit the more defects or work seems to be involved in assembling and just cleaning the mini's up.

Similar assesement? I have bought very little of there Infantry models yet, but the ones I have, seemed for the most part no worse or harder to work with than metal or plastic models.

JonesRob
22-10-2007, 09:24
The frustration with the models is one of the reasons I have started back again on my DA army.

Do You have a project log for your DA? if not would be great to see some pics of them - im Sure there are 1 or 2 FW bits included... ;)

T-hawk
22-10-2007, 12:21
I don't have a DA log yet - maybe it's time to start one.... I'll get a few pics posted to another log pretty soon. It will be at least a week though since we're busy opening the store this week.

Not much FW for the DA, just a dreadnought so far. Gotta work on that problem.... ;-)

pompeyladbfp
22-10-2007, 16:24
fw problems....

to be honest every order i place something is wrong, woever do they do sort it out and send it asap, shame they cant check before sending really.

usually wrong part (2 of same side) major miscast (weapon end melted etc) or wrong sprue (all my death korp autocannons had wrong arm sprue so there was left ammo hands with only right arms etc)

still best models produced by gw, buut this can put some people off.

Falk
22-10-2007, 21:43
Ahoy,

I use this thread like I could use any other DkoK thread :
Could anyone tell me the length of the Macharius ? (body size)
I'm doing one in 3D and I need to know the size of the tank so I can unwrap the model to the best size (it could eventually end in Dawn of War but absolutely no certitude on that, I mostly did it to get my fix of polygons last week-end :p)

On a side note if you want a visualisation of what a long barreled Vulcan canon looks like, I just have to move a few vertices^^).

(Also, as you've got a pretty "subtle" mortar based on a real world vehicle, have you ever thought of converting a French B1 tank ? I think the design could fit 40K (without the turret maybe, it looks flat like a Lambo' :evilgrin:), I just don't know the size of the 1/35 kit)

T-hawk
24-10-2007, 12:23
do you need the length in cm or in?

T-hawk
24-10-2007, 12:26
BTW, has anyone tried to use GW paint with an airbrush? I'm having a difficult time getting it thinned down for spraying. I normally use alcohol to thin my Tamiya paints. However, GW paint reacts to the alcohol and forms small clumps. Any ideas?

Falk
24-10-2007, 15:17
do you need the length in cm or in?

Centimetres would be better, but don't worry, I would've converted it if it was in inches^^ (google makes it quick)

Oh and while I'm at it, the width would be good too just so I can check if the overall proportions are good (as the only blueprint I had available was the side view on the preview of Imperial Armour V)

Thanks^^

(no idea on the paint problem^^)

Baron von Lexus
25-10-2007, 01:14
BTW, has anyone tried to use GW paint with an airbrush? I'm having a difficult time getting it thinned down for spraying. I normally use alcohol to thin my Tamiya paints. However, GW paint reacts to the alcohol and forms small clumps. Any ideas?

For my airbrush i use GW paints with 1/3 parts water to 2/3 parts paint. The paint is sorta watery to begin with so you dont need much water. or at least i dont.

Baron

Falk
07-11-2007, 18:20
Ahoy T-hawk,

Got the measures by chance ? :D

Everett
17-11-2007, 23:32
Yeah use water to thin citadel paints. My tamiya paints tend to go funny if they aren't used between 3-6 months after purchase. Whereas I still have citadel paints that are in VGC fro the late eightees.

Great log by the way mate, your dedication speaks volumes. I myself am starting a DKK army, of which I will soon start a log; but yours certainly sets the bar.

I'm still unsure on the gorgon infantry - are you confident its hard to notice or tell the difference after seperation? I'm basing my army largely on cavalry and grenadiers but I may look into the gorgon trick

cheers

Ev

I <3 W
20-11-2007, 01:24
hmmm... when I get my macharius I'm planning to arbrush it (adeptus batgtlegrey stripes on chardon granite (which would look remarkably similar to yours)). so 1/3 water will be good?

oh and question: what tamiya paints are on your macharius. It looks just like whatr I'm looking for and since I''ve seen yours I'm sure it will work properly. thx dk man!

Everett
20-11-2007, 17:50
If you plan on using tamiya paints, don't use water to thin it, I <3 W. You can get thinner for it when buying the paints.

I <3 W
21-11-2007, 21:48
Yes I know. I'm asking what paint he iused, cause they are so similar to my colour scheme that I might just use them. My plan was chardon granite with adeptus battlegrey feathered camo.

T-hawk
26-11-2007, 13:14
All-

Sorry for the delay in postings. My son was born three weeks early, so I have been busy with him and my wife. I will try to get all of your questions answered this week. Thanks for your patience.

T-hawk

Crippler
26-11-2007, 13:48
Congratulations mate, well done, hope everything is ok?

Has the shop been launched yet?

Everett
26-11-2007, 22:19
Congrats on the new addition to the family. Look forward to updates, however soon or late they may be

Baron von Lexus
26-11-2007, 22:39
Ya I second that congrats and I'm also wondering if/when your shop will be open.

Baron

I <3 W
28-11-2007, 04:24
so what paint was that again? I think I'll be gettin' my airbrush soon.

T-hawk
12-12-2007, 04:04
Thanks to all for the congrats - life has been busy since the arrival!

paint colors - base of neutral gray and disruption stripes in German gray. Both are Tamiya flat colors and cut well with alcohol for use in an airbrush.

T-hawk (and sons...)

I <3 W
12-12-2007, 04:56
thank you for the paint colours. I'll go out and bu them soon, but do you think that adeptus battlegrey and chardon granite would work well (the gw paints if I find a way to thin them))

EDIT: disruption stripes are the stripes on top of a base color (and the lighter one is the base with the darker one on top right?)

Crippler
12-12-2007, 08:19
Welcome to my world T-Hawk!!!!

Good luck mate.

Maikello
17-12-2007, 18:33
Excuse me if this has been asked before T-hawk, but where did you get the MOAB that you posted pics of on page 3 and 4??

Thanks in advance

Maikel

T-hawk
19-12-2007, 12:48
Try www.spruebrothers.com for the Morser kit. That's where I got mine - great price too!

Baron von Lexus
19-12-2007, 21:27
Yep me too

Crippler
21-12-2007, 14:39
Just purchased this, so hope it will be ok?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200185639535&rd=1

Bungaroo
21-12-2007, 16:40
Hi T-Hawk. Great army. I'm thinking of an Armoured Coy and toying with Death Korps as the theme. Also starting on the airbrush route. Tips are great.

Is the Morser kit the one on this page???

http://store.spruebrothers.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=sbm&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=436992824&Count2=354133248&Keyword=morser&Target=products.asp

1:35 Dragon 60cm Karl Morser SP Gun

Looking forward to watching this log.

Bungaroo

Everett
02-01-2008, 19:54
T hawk we need updates mate!!

T-hawk
19-01-2008, 04:19
I know! It seems like years since my last update... If all goes as planned, it looks like I will be getting a few nights in my shop to start back on our beloved korps. Thanks to all for waiting.

Baron von Lexus
20-01-2008, 01:59
T-hawk you're back!
Started my Heavy Mortar today. Thanks again for the inspiration.

T-hawk
21-01-2008, 14:19
I am attempting to get the temperature in my shop warm enough to airbrush today. This morning it's 20F, so it might take a while.... The weather here stays pretty cold until March. I hope to get going before then!

Mr Zephy
21-01-2008, 14:46
Would warming the airbrush can and model work? putting a warm water bottle around it + blanket?

T-hawk
22-01-2008, 14:32
Well, yesterday was a bust - too cold. It's 37F today, so I will try again....

projectkmo
22-01-2008, 17:23
1st, Congrats on the new addition to the family!

2nd...this log has been hugely helpful in many regards!

3rd....where did you get those awesome number stickers for your armor? the Red ones I will be starting a DKoK force soon, and those are perfect!

4th any suggestions on a air compressor/air brush set up for a newb? that won't break my bank.

errr or if anyone else knows...all ideas appreciated!

thanks!

- John

T-hawk
22-01-2008, 19:23
Thanks for all the great comments. I'm glad that you have found the log helpful!

The numbers are dry transfers from Archer. Not cheap, but they work great. You can order them from their website- http://www.archertransfers.com

I am using the Badger "Anthem" airbrush. I have found it to be easy to use and provide good results. From base painting to fine lines, it works well. I even used it for my AI models and they look nice - a tan base with very fine olive stripes for camo.

I would suggest that you use a compressor with a storage tank for air. The small ones that are just a compressor tend to vary in pressure. Besides, you can get a "pancake" one for about the same as a decent hobby compressor. They are louder, but I think they work better. Try looking at Home Depot or Lowes - should be around $150.

Good luck with your project!

projectkmo
22-01-2008, 20:35
Thank you so much for the Link and the tips T-hawk!

I look forward to seeing your next update!

- John

T-hawk
25-01-2008, 02:33
Well, no painting updates. However, I did get a Graia Hellhound, an artillery crew, and two tank commanders. The Memphis Bunker is on a 4 month wait for more DK. :mad: I think I'm starting to suffer from severe resin withdrawl....

Baron von Lexus
25-01-2008, 14:23
I've been waiting for my order since November... FW must be totally swamped to have that big of a delay.

T-hawk
26-01-2008, 02:28
The plan for the weekend is to take inventory of the DK I have so far. I'm then making a plan/schedule to get them painted. I'll post a group pic once I get everything accounted for.

It's been a while since I've been active on Warseer. How are the other DK projects coming along?

Baron von Lexus
26-01-2008, 21:33
I've moved mine to 40terra.com and I havent been too active here either. I've gotten alot fo my armor done and I'm working on my HQ squads right now.

Mr Zephy
26-01-2008, 21:43
I like the look of what you have on your Warseer log, but I can't find a link to your 40terra thread. ? Maybe you could put one in your sig or Warseer log.

Baron von Lexus
27-01-2008, 01:20
It's in there now

Frobble
04-02-2008, 22:52
Hi
your idea about using the Gorgon and Trench Troop models to mass produce DK squads is truly brilliant. I have found resin hard to cut accurately as it can crack inappropriately but the prospect of ~50 quality models is worth making the attempt. Any tips on making the cuts clean from your blood soaked fingers ?

cheers Steve

Cmdr. Samael
12-02-2008, 12:29
I`d wondered about the viability of seperating the gorgon crew when I first saw them, your pictures inspired me, my gorgon crew turned up on Sunday, got 31 seperated so far, thanks for showing it could be done!, £1 apiece is cheaper than the trench coat guard will be when they finally materialise. Makes dkk who are nromally the most expensive army (£3.584) down to being cheaper per head than most plastics haha, the detail is insane. I`m going to use some of the seperated models as tank commanders for my 2 Emperors fists panzer devisions. I`m saving the unwanted macharius crew I was given for a Baneblade. Looking forward to seeing more stuff painted always an inspiration hopefully I`ll get my own Dkk/Steel legion army pics online soon

thanks Samael

T-hawk
28-03-2008, 03:15
Hello All-

It's been a while since my last update - my sons have put a dent in my army building/painting time.... I've inventoried all of my DKoK and will try to get the airbrush fired up again soon. I have Midsouth Con this weekend and the online store is finally open! :D

Please enjoy the blog and feel free to post pics of your own Korps project.

T-hawk out

BishopBlack
28-03-2008, 14:33
This is a very good thread can't believe I just found it! :confused:

DonKarst0n
28-03-2008, 18:10
Pretty sweet stuff you have.

Do you know a good airbrush tutorial or even care to write one?
I am in dire need for techniques to get my tanks done in a rather short period of time while at the same moment they need to look good.
Painting infantry consumes most parts of my spare time. :D

T-hawk
02-04-2008, 13:35
I bought my airbrush about a year ago and have spent time learning the ways to make different width lines for disruption stripes. My airbrush is a Badger Anthem which I bought off Ebay. So far, I have been able to get very small lines for my AI Thunderbolts to the ones you see on my DK tanks. I don't think that there is a substitute for spending some time with a tablet of paper and your airbrush. Experimenting with different needle positions and air pressures would be my suggestion.

Gunner
04-04-2008, 10:34
This is a great thread you got going here T hawk!

T-hawk
09-04-2008, 14:24
Anyone know any rumors about the new IA Vraks book?

Helbrecht
09-04-2008, 17:19
Anyone know any rumors about the new IA Vraks book?
Linky (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136674)
Basically it has Khorne, underground warfare with termites, etc., New reaver rules, updates to the krieg ruleset, ie engineers. Take a look through the post i linked, it explains every thing in detai,l although you might have to search for a bit, but its time well spent!

DeLtA009
10-04-2008, 09:40
@T-Hawk : I have a question... hope u don't get it wrong^^

Do you mind if I STEAL your pics of "how to make minis outta the gorgon squad" and post them in a german forum? There were some people asking 'bout it, and most prob their english is not sooo good... (of course I would write from whom I took them:D)

By the way: Awesome collection by now!!! makes me cry if I think 'bout my own Dkok which is growing with the speed of a rheumatic snail...
(beeing a student is great... but the money sucks...^^)

T-hawk
10-04-2008, 23:44
sicher, der groß sein würde!

T-hawk
13-04-2008, 17:04
I think my Google translator was wrong when I typed in a reply to DeLtA009 - my response was "Sure, that would be great!". Perhaps one of the forum readers who speaks German will be able to tell me what the translation said.........:confused:

DonKarst0n
13-04-2008, 17:55
Hmmm....

You meant: "Sicherlich, das wäre großartig."

Your German sentence translated back into English is: "Sure, he/it would be big."
And your 'der' would be reffering back to something.

^^

T-hawk
13-04-2008, 18:41
Thanks! - See what I get for trying to be clever....

Captain Brown
14-04-2008, 21:48
Great idea with the Gorgon troops conversion. For that I give 5/5 for this logs rating.

CB

T-hawk
19-04-2008, 02:28
Some people have asked for pictures of my spray booth that uses a shop vac. Here's how I made it:

1- use 1x6 pine to make a box which fits a 25"x25" furnace filter. This also has a 1x2 frame inside of the box to keep the filter flush with the front. Use a piece of particleboard on the back and seal it to prevent air from coming thru the back of the box.

2. Cut a hole in the side to fit the vacuum hose from the shop vac.

3. The exhaust hose is attached to a 90 degree elbow and a shower drain that fits thru a piece of plywood. The plywood is cut to fit the window opening. This provides a sealed system that uses the shop vac to draw the overspray into the furnace filter and exhausts the fumes outside.

T-hawk
06-05-2008, 02:41
Project Update-

I'm still busy helping my wife (aka babysitting) and keeping the store running. Thanks to all who have shown an interest in buying from us. As the warn weather has returned, I will be escaping to my spray booth and finish up the Gorgon and Macharius. I'll post the pics as soon as I have them available.

T-hawk

BLARGAG!!!
06-05-2008, 04:03
sounds great. i am excited to see more of your great work.

if you get a chance, PLEASE (oh please) put up a full army shot. that would be GREAT!!!

keep up the great work
BLARGAG!!!

PS: would you mind if i borrow some aspects of your color scheme for my DKoK?

T-hawk
06-05-2008, 16:01
Borrow as much as you like!

vette114
06-05-2008, 21:55
I love Death Korps and am slowly starting to build up a force of them however just like you said with a kid on the way its near impossible to afford them. thats ok I'll just keep moving forward. i just wanted to say how nice these models are. i just finished painting up my first one and it seems that no matter how you do it these models just won't look bad!! After reading through your posts here i think my next purchase will be the gorgon troops, the trimming and cutting sound like a perfect project for my graveyard shifts!

MC

T-hawk
21-05-2008, 23:05
New pics finally!!!

I was able to get away for a few hours and get a heavy bolter team painted up. I need better lighting and more practice with the macro setting on my camera.... A small tripod would not hurt either!

Baron von Lexus
22-05-2008, 23:15
Nice work T-hawk, glad to see the 568th coming along.

Crippler
23-05-2008, 20:43
Hey buddy how you doing, see you are still making some progress with the DKoK even witht he new addition. You will be surprised how much I have done now, even airbrushed a baneblade.

How is the store going, mine is still doing very well, be nice if you could drop by mate and have a look at mine ;-)

http://www.gwonline.biz/Forum2/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=138

T-hawk
26-05-2008, 23:13
A few more pics with the camera on a tripod and two extra lights - still learning how to use the camera and the mini-studio to get the right lighting for pics....

DonKarst0n
27-05-2008, 00:10
Those pictures look good T-hawk. And those guardsmen are very wll painted. Keep them coming.