PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Lord or Beastlord?

Master Kain
06-08-2007, 13:33
OK im gonna sound like a n00b here lol...

Really wanna stick some beast units in my chaos mortals army, like a coupla herds and centigors, chariots, etc, but I dunno if i'll have enough special choices to take all this + furies. On the other hand, I don't wanna lose the combat prowess of the Chaos Lord. So basically, is it worth swapping in a Beastlord to take more BoC units? Ty for n e comments.

Makaber
06-08-2007, 13:46
Well, the Chaos Lord is extremely expensive and don't really need 100 points of wargear to be ridicilously competent. On the other hand, Exalted Champions are a steal and easily as lethal as most armies Lord choices. So you'll probably do just fine with a Beastlord and some Exalteds.

It's not like it's a huge investment to try out a couple of different combos, though.

Neknoh
06-08-2007, 14:15
Well, what you can do is to field an Exalted Champion as your general and a Beastlord to simply power up the combat of your army, a Beastlord with the mark of Khorne or Slaanesh can quite nicely wield the Daemonsword, he will be cheaper than a naked mortal Lord of the same mark, even if given Heavy Armour and the Enchanted Shield.

Otherwise, the Axes of Khorgor, Black Maul, Berserker Sword or just plain old Slaughterers Blade or Greatweapon works very well on beastlords.

lector#1
06-08-2007, 14:47
um if you want get a shaggoth dragon ogre to lead your armie he will much through units just like ur chaos lord would but he is beastman

prob is he take sup 1 lord choice and a rare choice so if ur not using alot of rare units id have to say shaggoth to lead you army

and ontop of all that he looks SWEAAAAAT

Neknoh
06-08-2007, 14:50
actually, a Shaggoth would force him to create a Beast army, which basically needs most of it's special choices for.. well... beasts of Chaos units (different from Beast units actually).

So, I'd rather go with something like:

Beastlord
Exalted Champion
Sorceror/Shaman
Sorceror/Shaman

core of Mortals, prefferably Marauders for ranks and Knights for hittingpower

Specials goes to:

Beastherd
Centigors
Tuskgor Chariot
Furies

Rares go to:
Dragon Ogres
2 spawns of your God

. . . and please lector, use the spellcheck next time, netspeak and slopy writing isn't well liked on warseer

Makaber
06-08-2007, 15:14
Neknoh, read the first post again. He actually wants to switch to a Beast army because he doesn't have enough special slots to accommodate all the Beast units he wants to use.

Master Kain
06-08-2007, 15:19
So a mortal general then? If so then there's not much point in the Beastlord - I'd sooner get another ExChamp. However if I used the Beastlord as general, I could take 2 Chaos Knight units, a big marauder block and furies as specials, and have more room for beast units. Like your suggestions though, Nekoh, ty. What does every1 think?

Makaber
06-08-2007, 15:38
Okay, seriously, I don't see the big deal. The Beastlord has about the same stats as an Exalted, and allows you to take Beast units as core. Unless you want to shell out the vast sum of points you need to get a Chaos Lord (and I personally think you need a very good plan to justify doing it), then it's just up to personal preference and how you want to build the rest of your list, really.

All the factors needed to decide this (very minor) issue is very much at face value. Whatever you do, it probably won't change your army performance very much.

Neknoh
06-08-2007, 17:29
The thing with the Beastlord is that he can carry more expensive items, that is why I preffer him to an Exalted, in 2k, I often field an Exalted as my general and then field a Beastlord as my primary fighter, hidden inside a decently sized Beastherd, this guy causes a lot of grief on most units, marking him Khorne and giving him the daemonsword is insanely fun.

If you take a Beast general, by fielding two units of Knights and Furies, you only have one slot left, for a mobile army like the Beasts supported with Knights and Furies, there isn't much point in the marauders, so here, I'd go for a unit of Minotaurs to support your herds, or a unit of Mounted Daemonettes, Fleshhounds or Screamers to support your knights and give you something to throw at enemy fast cavalry.

For your rares, you would now be rather desperate for real punch, a unit of Dragon Ogres would ammend this, and then, either a Giant or two Spawns of your choice should round the army out nicely.

When you want bodies in a beast army, either take two blocks of Marauders, one block of marked Bestigors and then perhaps an unmarked block as well so that you can have the ranks, or field large ammounts of Beastherds and Warhounds, don't try to combine the two, the marauders will be left behind, a Giant or Spawn will do a lot better at tieing up the enemy units than a slow unit of Marauders will ever do.

So, go beasts if you'd like, they're a damn fun army, just scrap the idea of foot Marauders

logan054
06-08-2007, 18:23
or you could have a daemon with master of beastie boys :)

W0lf
06-08-2007, 20:37
or you could have a daemon with master of beastie boys

Then he wont have the points to fit in half the specials hes currently trying to do.

logan054
06-08-2007, 22:19
why, they would be core? I didnt say master of mortals (i couldnt remember the name of the beastman one and was to lazy to look in the book).

MarcoPollo
07-08-2007, 00:03
What really works for me is an exalted general and a beastlord to lead the beastherd. I go with an undivided exalted with Helm of Many eyes in a huge unit of marauders, and a beastlord of Nurgle with rune of the true beast, armor of Damnation and slaughterers blade.

This is an excellent way to keep your core as mortals, while still getting a great combat character at a fairly cheap price. I think the beastlord comes in at 220 pts all together. And since a naked chaos lord is 210, you are really doing well for your points with this set up.

And since the general is undivided, you can still play with marks if you like. Of course, this means the obligatory 1 nurgling base to be able to take the beastlord of nurgle.