PDA

View Full Version : ogre kingdoms

llama rider
06-08-2007, 15:58
Lords and Heroes

Tyrant-ironfist, brace of handguns, heavy armor, luck gnoblar, 2 sword gnoblars, beastkiller big name, skullblucker, wyrdstone necklace, bullgut.(i can also give him daemon killer scars)

Butcher-2 tooth gnoblars, luck gnoblar, bangstick, gnoblar thiefstone.

Butcher-halfling cookbook, 2 tooth gnoblars, luck gnoblar, gnoblar thiefstone.

Hunter:2 sabretusks, longstrider, bloodcleaver.

Core

3 Bulls-ironfists, command, light armor

4 Bulls-ironfists, command, light armor

4 Ironguts-Command, war banner, bull standard

30 Gnoblar Fighters-groinbiter

Special

4 Leadbelchers-thunderfist

3 Yhettees

Rare

Slavegiant

TOTAL POINTS IN THE ARMY:2270

If you have any feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Dragonknight31
06-08-2007, 16:39
What units will your characters be in?

I am currently toying with 3 bulls plus butcher. My biggest issue is that I want to run my Tyrant with my Ironguts but having a 5 wide ogre unit might make things tough to move around.

I guess I could try 3 Ironguts with the Tyrant but now sure how that would work.

llama rider
06-08-2007, 19:22
i put a butcher in each unit of bulls, and i put my tyrant in my ironguts. they actually are easier to manouver than you would think, because i keep them behind my main force, so if the bulls get polished off, which happens quite often, the tyrant steps in at turn 3 or 4, and finishes off whatever is left. you might think that this is a waste of the tyrant, but its actually better, because now i can destroy all of the crippled characters and regiments with more power, so its quite advantageous

Malorian
07-08-2007, 00:29
Don't put commands in small units of bulls, it's free points for the opponent.

Don't upgrade to a thunderfist, it's just free points for the opponent.

Break the lead beltchers into two units of two.

Bull standard rarelt makes it's points back.

I believe luck gnoblars let you reroll a save... and the butchers have none.

Point for point you'll get more kills with the great weaon on the tyrant than with the skullplucker. Plus I don't think beastkiller works with magical weapons.

With these points get more bulls. Just simlpe units of three (naked) so you have units to bait charges and counter charge.

llama rider
08-08-2007, 01:22
champions in combat can make or break the game depending if they are there or not, standards add to the painfully small combat resolution, so they are worth it

if you read the army book, you will find that butchers do in fact have luck gnoblars

skullplucker has killing blow, which is much better than anything a great weapon can do

as for the bull standard, you are completely right, im dumping that

and what you said about the naked units of bulls is generally true, but im going for an army that can kick some ass in combat while staying alive for a while.

now onto belchers. if the enemy has fast cavalry, then leadbelchers are usually going to be a primary target. also, they can only shoot pretty much every other turn, and so they are a waste half of the time. the way to counter this is to move in the first turn and shoot at the most dangerous unit. then, you make a bull charge into a weak unit, kill them all or break them, wait an extra turn and then start over again. this is why small units of belchers without thunderfists is wrong

From Shadows
08-08-2007, 01:36
I would go for something like this:but this is only around 2000 points

tyrant:hvy arm,wyrd neck, tender,luck gnob
butcher:dspl,skul man
butcher:dspl,bngstck
bullsx3:belwr,2ndhnd wpn
bullsx3:see above(butcher)
bullsx3:see above
irongutsx3:stdrd,belwr,wrbnnr,lokout gnob(tyrant)
irongutsx4:belwr,lokout gnob
leadbelchersx2:belwr
leadbelchersx2:see above
gorger:
gorger:

llama rider
09-08-2007, 00:57
why is everyone so pumped up about the tenderizer? its only good for killing things that have multiple wounds, and there is still a 1 in 3 chance of getting a one. i prefer something that makes things stay dead before i have to roll to wound and for armor saves, rather than having things take unnecessary wounds after they are already dead.

Grendal The Bonecrusher
06-11-2007, 18:29
here are a few useful tips for building any ogre army
Bulls by the bucket load - leave bulls naked if anything give them + hand weapons and always field in small units of 3
20 points for 1 attack! - never buy ogre champions 20pts for 1 attack is insanely overpriced
Ironguts- field lots of 3 man ironguts squads and never give them bellowers ironguts are desighned to win combats also give them standards

Kadrium
06-11-2007, 21:17
champions in combat can make or break the game depending if they are there or not, standards add to the painfully small combat resolution, so they are worth it

Champions are never really ever worth it in an Ogre army. If you buy two, you've paid more than the cost of a bull for 2 attacks. A bull has 3 attacks, 3 wounds, and 5 points left over. Drop the champions, take more bulls and ironguts.

As for standards, your bulls should be flank charging infantry blocks to support your ironguts frontal charges. You can only benifit from 1 standard per combat, so let the ironguts carry it. The bulls can bring the musicians, since they're charge bait anyway.

if you read the army book, you will find that butchers do in fact have luck gnoblars

They certainly do, but they must actually have a save of some sort for it to be useful, and they do not have one by default. You must buy them a wyrdstone necklace (more useful on your tyrant who can't bloodgruel) or a amulet of protection (6+ ward save even with a re-roll is usually not worth it) for them to actually ever use a luck gnoblar.

skullplucker has killing blow, which is much better than anything a great weapon can do

Except for wound To5 models on a 2+ and cut down 2 more armor save than the skullplucker is capable of.

Take the tenderiser and start issuing challenges. Str 7 turns most things into meat-paste and the d3 wounds will generate tons of overkill CR. Or force a champ/character into a back rank which is just fine. The Str 7 attacks will smoke rank-and-files just as well.

and what you said about the naked units of bulls is generally true, but im going for an army that can kick some ass in combat while staying alive for a while.

Thats what Ironguts are for. Bulls are their flankers, and your charge bait. Run them naked with bellowers, and possibly extra hand weapons. To4 and 3 wounds will make them as survivable as they need to be for that purpose without wasting points. Bulls are generally lackluster in combats when they're all by themselves. Don't use them as a mainstay. They are support.

now onto belchers. if the enemy has fast cavalry, then leadbelchers are usually going to be a primary target. also, they can only shoot pretty much every other turn, and so they are a waste half of the time. the way to counter this is to move in the first turn and shoot at the most dangerous unit. then, you make a bull charge into a weak unit, kill them all or break them, wait an extra turn and then start over again. this is why small units of belchers without thunderfists is wrong

The reason that very small units of belchers are RIGHT is that they can goad cavalry into charging them. Move forward 6 inches, shoot another 12. They can strike 18 inches, starting from outside the charge range of most cavalry in the game. The cavalry can either ignore them and try to go around them, and get side charged, or charge them. Then you flee from the charge, let your ironguts take up a countercharge on the stranded unit, rally and reload while you rally. Rinse, repeat.

There is also virtually no reason to take 1 large unit of leadbelchers versus 2 small units. 2 small units may deploy right next to eachother and act, for all purposes as one large unit. Except the 2 small units can still split up, shoot at seperate targets, not all shoot at once, and maneuver better. Plus 2 small units do not both panic when one leadbelcher dies due to enemy shooting/magic or misfire. If you misfire when all 4 shoot (in 2 unts of 2), and one of your leadbelches dies, he only panics the other remaining leadbelcher in his unit, instead of 2 or 3 or more other leadbelchers (in unit of 3+).

why is everyone so pumped up about the tenderizer? its only good for killing things that have multiple wounds, and there is still a 1 in 3 chance of getting a one. i prefer something that makes things stay dead before i have to roll to wound and for armor saves, rather than having things take unnecessary wounds after they are already dead.

Challenge overkill. Plus, what is it that you suggest an ogre can take that will kill things deader than a d3 wounding great weapon? Its str 7, it crushes monsters and characters, it generates heaps and heaps of overkill CR.. What else do you want? Skullplucker? 2 less strength and 2 more armor save for your opponent for the chance to killing blow if you roll a 6 and the target is US2 or less and they dont have/fail an armor save? I'll take the tendersier where rolling a 6 gives me d3 wounds and generally kills the living crap out of whatever I'm hitting anyway, because its freaking strength 7.

The big thing about the Skullplucker is that any time at which you don't roll a 6 to wound (thats most of the time if my math is correct), your regular old ogre club would have been better. They both hit and wounded on the same roll needed, and at least your ogre club had -1 armor save.

Kadrium
06-11-2007, 21:39
I would go for something like this:but this is only around 2000 points

tyrant:hvy arm,wyrd neck, tender,luck gnob
butcher:dspl,skul man
butcher:dspl,bngstck
bullsx3:belwr,2ndhnd wpn
bullsx3:see above
irongutsx3:stdrd,belwr,wrbnnr,lokout gnob(tyrant)
irongutsx4:belwr,lokout gnob
leadbelchersx2:belwr
leadbelchersx2:see above
gorger:
gorger:

This is a pretty good list, by the way, but I'd like to see a few less bulls and one more unit of ironguts.

Drop the bellowers from the IG units, and probably the XHW from the bulls, and one of the bull units itself, and get another IG unit.