PDA

View Full Version : News on some GW Legal Department activity.

Kellindel
06-08-2007, 18:14
Well it looks like the wheels are starting to turn over the the GW legal department.

I ran a search for Gamezone Miniatures in E-Bay and I found a small listing there. All are listed as having pictures. The first couple actually have something shown. The next few have a "Photo not available" shown. But the last is every interesting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gamezone-Miniatures-Orcs-Goblins-Troll-III-NEW_W0QQitemZ220135541072QQihZ012QQcategoryZ2537QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Or better yet let me see if this works:

http://www.irook.com/images/gw_ebay.jpg

Could GW be going after companies now that have products that look somewhat alike .... but IMHO superior???

Seen something like this in Paintball ... The big fish killing off the little fish in legal battles the little fish can't afford to fight.

The Dark One
06-08-2007, 18:29
would this not be better in the Other GW Discussion?

but none the less very interesting.

logan054
06-08-2007, 18:50
I think thats abit OTT not allowing someone to show pictures of models they wish to sell on ebay.

TheBlackShade
06-08-2007, 18:52
As I understand it, that shows an unauthorized display of some GW official product, which GW requested to be removed.

It has happened berfore with Nokia when some websites published some leaked pics of the N95.

JonnyTHM
06-08-2007, 19:01
Isn't this the same as when they had smaller games stores remove pictures of GW products that they were selling online?

EvC
06-08-2007, 19:18
Well, the key is: was this a Games Workshop model, or a Gamezone model?

The Dark One
06-08-2007, 19:24
Well, the key is: was this a Games Workshop model, or a Gamezone model?

very good question. at a guess i would say it was a gamezone model but i could easily be wrong

Zodiac
06-08-2007, 19:48
It might have been a games-workshop models, accidently displayed as a gamezone miniature?! That would be the most logical explanation for me.
--
But if it was a gamezone miniature then its kind of childish that they removed its picture from this guys ebay list.

On the other hand, I can imagine GW getting pissed about those fake pistoliers and the cold one knights, those are obviously just rip offs.. they are .. nice models however :p

Kellindel
06-08-2007, 20:21
would this not be better in the Other GW Discussion?

but none the less very interesting.

It depends on how you look at it.

Yes it could be a GW Discussion post cause it's about GW.

But then again it could be Fantasy News cause it's a non-GW company that is being asked to remove the image of a non-GW product from their website, possibly because they are seeking action against Gameszone.

Bloodknight
06-08-2007, 20:32
OTOH it could also be a marketing ploy by the selling shop ("go and look at our shop!"). The website gives no clue about it.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
06-08-2007, 22:11
There are a few realistic possibilities....

GW models wrongly listed as Gamezone models.

GW might be taking legal action (and seemingly winning) against Gamezone for there models...I mean, come on, Centaur Drake? Apart from the god awful sculpt it's a bit too close to a GW copyrighted Dragonogre!

But no, lets all jump off the deepend and ssume that GW have some bizarre (il)legal power to prevent other companies advertising their own models. That makes so much more sense!

Agamemnon2
06-08-2007, 22:16
Personally, my guess is that the seller was using GW bases and GW didn't like that.

Kellindel
06-08-2007, 23:15
But no, lets all jump off the deepend and ssume that GW have some bizarre (il)legal power to prevent other companies advertising their own models. That makes so much more sense!

It's not really jumping off the deep end. I'll give you an example taken directly from my other hobby, paintball.

WGP was bought out by K2 Sports. WGP produces the Autococker paintball marker. When K2 purchased WGP they went on a legal ride and put another company called Action Markers out of business. Why? Cause they had a couple markers that operated on the same principle mechanics, but in many people's opinion worked better.

Now I have a feeling I'm going to get bashed by autococker fans ...

Anyway, K2 got a letter from the man that actually invented and patented the autococking technology, Glenn Palmer/owner of Palmer's Pursuit shop. Glenn informed them that they should really look at what they really owner rights to because they clearly had no idea.

The legal firm that represented K2 then notified Action Markers and instructed them to stop their operations or they will once again be served with legal actions. They then went on to say that they looked into Mr. Palmer's claims and felt he had no precedence, and that they could afford a long drawn out legal fight and knew Action Markers didn't.

So Action Markers closed their doors. Even though their product was not a direct rip-off, and there are several other markers out there that are more of a "rip-off" than their product.

Does this really have anything to do with GW and legal fights?? Not really, because I bet they site used GW miniatures to advertise Gameszone merchandise.

But then again, it isn't so hard to believe that GW could/might/are currently going after Gamezone for violation of Intellectual Properly.

I don't think GW could copy right a knight on a Dinosaur. I mean that's like Paris Hilton trying to patent the phrase "That's Hot" and getting money every time someone using it on TV .... Give me a break.

So am I diving off the deep end?? I donít think so ... not really..... I've seen other companies do something similar to smaller companies all the time.

In the end I guess I was hoping to hear is someone had heard of anything that was going on. Not have someone point out my serious case of paranoia.

:angel:

shady
07-08-2007, 00:06
My guess ... I think retailers are allowed to use box art to sell GW product, but not those of the painted miniatures, as on the GW online store. My guess is that at some point the retailer used such an offending image and had to replace it with this (which is by the way not an official GW image, obviously - it's also not an ebay one).

The retailer probably then accidentally linked to the wrong image when posting the item - simple mistake.

If this had been eBay involved, they'd just have pulled the entire auction while they sorted it out.

insaniak
07-08-2007, 00:40
Yup, I'd go with the 'wrong picture in the listing' theory as well.

The listing is for a Gamezone Troll, not a GW miniature. If GW had a legal objection to it, they would have had the auction pulled, not just replaced the picture.

Crazy Harborc
07-08-2007, 01:27
Yep, a company or a person who can afford better lawyers and or an extended court case can easily win against a company or person who can't afford to fight back in court.

When it happens others (companies, people) who hear about it will assume so in so company won again. IMHO, it's more like nope, the little guy couldn't afford to hire lawyers instead of buy food and or pay their bills. Mr big guy wouldn't back off.....sooo....the little guy has to roll up his tent and go away.

athamas
07-08-2007, 13:54
it could also be that they are using official GW pictures to advertise their models on the shop...

those pics belong to GW, the seller has been to lazy to take their own pics and has stolen them grom GW...

insaniak
07-08-2007, 22:41
it could also be that they are using official GW pictures to advertise their models on the shop...

Why would they be using GW pictures to advertise Gamezone miniatures...?

selfconstrukt
08-08-2007, 00:07
My best guess is that Gamezone was selling models that looked too similar to models made by GW, and GW felt they violated their IP policy.

Although, if thats the case why have they not gone after Avatars of War and many other companies who make similar looking models?

insaniak
08-08-2007, 00:15
My best guess is that Gamezone was selling models that looked too similar to models made by GW, and GW felt they violated their IP policy.

Again, if that were the case, they wouldn't have just removed the picture. When there is a copyright-based complaint on a listing, eBay don't just remove th picture, they cancel the listing.

The eBay store in question has that same 'image removed at GW's request' picture showing up for their 40K and WHFB listings.

They have simply added the wrong image to the Gamezone Troll listing.

athamas
08-08-2007, 00:30

sorry, i read the title and not the description...

General Veers
08-08-2007, 19:20
Knowing how ebay works I wouldn't be suprised if they weren't the ones who screwed it up. It's possible they put the picture in the wrong auction. Gamezone doesn't look all that different than Games Workshop and if FRP is auctioning GW product at the same time it could be the drone working the admin of the auction simply input the wrong auction #.

Although maybe it was done by the seller to generate some free advertising?

The seller certainly has no problem with putting up pictures on their site for Gamezone and Games Workshop.
http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_list&mfg=GAW

DirtyMcBoner
08-08-2007, 19:39
GW have been chasing their IP and copyrights pretty aggressively recently.

selfconstrukt
08-08-2007, 23:53
GW have been chasing their IP and copyrights pretty aggressively recently.

And rightly so, since all of the other online miniature companies are responsible for GW's poor performance the last few years.

I mean, really, if it weren't for the competition, GW would be making much more money so it makes sense for GW to try and shut down other mini companies. Or at least make life difficult for them so they can't stay in business or make any real amount of money to be a threat.

After all, GW did invent Dwarves, Elves, Orks etc. so its only fair they protect their IP from other people stealing their ideas. GW staff spent a lot of time and money coming up with..... Oh sorry. I forgot GW pretty much stole and ripped off just about everything they have from other sources over the years.

My Bad....:D

sebster
09-08-2007, 07:59
Yep, a company or a person who can afford better lawyers and or an extended court case can easily win against a company or person who can't afford to fight back in court.

When it happens others (companies, people) who hear about it will assume so in so company won again. IMHO, it's more like nope, the little guy couldn't afford to hire lawyers instead of buy food and or pay their bills. Mr big guy wouldn't back off.....sooo....the little guy has to roll up his tent and go away.

Whereas because you're in the know you can be free to assume that GW is pushing a little guy around. Or possibly that's just as much speculation as anything else in this thread.

Christ on pogostick people, we're sitting here debating the possible meaning of a single image that no-one has seen being taken off of ebay. It could be anything. I think Elvis ate it.

blongbling
09-08-2007, 09:10
aliens took it

james1225
13-08-2007, 19:19
Gamezone are doing the type of awesome stuff GW could do but arnt, so they will naturally be breathing down their necks waiting to catch them on any small thing.

This years salute, GZ sold all their stock before the show ended it was insane.

DarthIbis
13-08-2007, 21:29
The issue pertaining to Gamezone not withstanding... I don't understand GW's need to tell one of their retailers, "Even though you are trying to sell our product, you can't use official images of it because it violates our IP... even if it is exactly the same as what you are selling." It's like GW wants to sell their product, but they want to tie the hands of the people selling it for them. No pictures, no Internet sales, etc. It just doesn't make sense.

That seems to be what's going on here, at least with FRP.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
13-08-2007, 22:15
And again, speculation.

The listing in question was apparently for Gamezone models (which are in fact pish, seen there 'Centaurdrake' I know I wish I hadn't).

Now, a piccy appeared saying GW Legal 'advice' forced the piccy down. It could be a pic of GW models being used to advertise (falsely) another companies wares. It could be the seller just getting a bit clever in attaining website hits. It could be a number of things.

What it certainly is NOT, is some shadowy behaviour from GW Legal. Why? You cannot force another companies pictures off-line. Simple as that. Despite what some of our more paranoid posters might tell you, there is no legal cause, and to my knowledge, no legal precedent for such a thing happening.

But of course, GW = Satan, so it must be something underhand. You do know GW killed Elvis right?

insaniak
13-08-2007, 22:48
Elvis isn't dead. He just went home.

Crazy Harborc
14-08-2007, 01:32
IMHO, there is a fair chance that the suits at GW are trying to restrict on-line indie stores (outside the USA) selling GW on-line. GW isn't ready to build real stores near those GW products selling indies.....At the same time since GW sells direct via on-line, GW wants the idies to stop doing it.

By the by, suggested retail prices(SRP) do include the cost of shipping to the stores selling the products. When a manufacturer sells direct and sells at the full SRP to the customer the manufacturer only ships once to the retail customer who is already paying a price including a shipping cost. Shipping paid twice by the buyer.....oh yeah that's fair?????:rolleyes:

insaniak
14-08-2007, 02:36
IMHO, there is a fair chance that the suits at GW are trying to restrict on-line indie stores (outside the USA) selling GW on-line.

... by asking them to remove pictures from their eBay auctions of miniatures made by a different company...?

Shipping paid twice by the buyer.....oh yeah that's fair?????:rolleyes:

Of course it's fair. It means that the retail price is the same everywhere.

The alternative is for the manufacturer to sell the item cheaper than the stores... in which case nobody would buy from the stores.

Bombot
15-08-2007, 13:19

My guess is that a Gamezone mini was shown next to a GW one, to illustrate size or something like that.