PDA

View Full Version : Which One..?

Ha7y
06-08-2007, 20:07
Shall i get an Eldar Army or a Space Marine Army - BTW I am a just starting out so which would be easiest. I'm looking to save 's aswell

Take a vote.

- Hay

Thanks.

floyd pinkerton
06-08-2007, 20:09
marines, anytime. Simple to play, average at everything.

Arcanus
06-08-2007, 20:09
Space Marines definitely because they are easier to play than Eldar.

Horus0001
06-08-2007, 20:12
Marines are for the most part cheap (compared to eldar) and are a more forgiving force to start with.

Bear in mind though that over 70% of the 40k community plays marines of some kind.

Go for what you prefer the look of and would enjoy painting over all else imo.
Eldar armies are also more fragile than marine lists, if you dont take into account that since 70% of players use marines most lists are tailored to combat them ;)

Eldar is less forgiving tactics wise (40k has tactics?) but once masterd can be amazing.

Ha7y
06-08-2007, 20:12
Thanks I just spotted Chaos Marines , are they any good..?

grickherder
06-08-2007, 20:14
Space Marines I think will work out cheaper. I'm sure you can also find a few UK based discounters by searching or asking here. As well, you may want to look into what the shipping would cost to order from the US. You'll have to pay VAT of like 17% or so when it arrives, but it still could be worth it.

Chaos are just in the process of getting a new codex. I've seen a copy and as far as rules go, they are going to be very powerful. If you go with Chaos but don't know what to get because of the codex change, it never hurts to have a decent number of basic chaos marines. Chaos and Marines will cost about the same.

Horus0001
06-08-2007, 20:14
They play similarly to marines just with more options. I dont have experience with the new book (they have just been revised) but its sounding pretty nasty

Ha7y
06-08-2007, 20:18
What actually is a Codex i know its a book type thing , but what does it actually do (sorry for the Noob question)

Maarten
06-08-2007, 20:34
In addition to the rules, each army has its own book, called a codex in 40K. EG: Codex Space Marines, Codex Eldar, Codex Imperial Guard, Codex Orks, etc. The codex lists what and how many units a particular army may field.

In other words, the rulebook tells you how to play and the codex tells you what to play with.

Edit: also don't be afraid to pick Space Marines. They may be a majority, but supposedly they are easy to start with. And by complete coincidence, the percentage of marine players is exactly equal to the percentage of statistics that are pulled out of Tzeentch's rear end. ;)

Ha7y
06-08-2007, 20:35
Thanks Maarten !!!!

Maarten
06-08-2007, 20:38
You're welcome. :)

Malchek
06-08-2007, 20:39
Eldar if you want to win a lot - marines if you want people to cry cheese randomly ;)

Ha7y
06-08-2007, 20:45
Although Malchek I didn't really understand understand your post - nothing could stop me from laughing out loud...

:D

Adam40kPlayer
06-08-2007, 20:56
Go with Eldar because they have a bit of everything, good elite troops : bansheses, Swooping hawks, fire dragons etc so they pretty much can be used for everything and you can suit your lists to your style of play. Also nearly everyone plays marine so eldar are something differnt.

Duhgame
06-08-2007, 23:23
SM are a friendlier starter army, however you should go by what models you will enjoy painting/playing with.
If you are able to follow the game's rules easily than Eldar are not such a hard starter army, if this game seems really complicated to play even with help/advice than SM are easier to learn from.

Malchek
07-08-2007, 00:19
Many people seem to think marines are really cheesy and tough to beat which I simply don't understand as I personally think they're very easy to defeat.

Eldar on the other hand are real tough cookies - so if you want to win a lot - collect them ;)

The Anarchist
07-08-2007, 00:29
i far prefer the Eldar, and have a personal dislike for Smurfs. however if this is your first army then SM are deffinatly for you, he learning curve for them is fairly forgiving as well as normaly being fairly balancedfroces by the end. still best advice go into the store play with both for a game amybe and see which feels right.
just my two cents.

sigur
07-08-2007, 00:36
I don't think that it's really harder to start with one army than with another. Both Space Marines and Eldar are good to start with. You really should read some background, in fact much background. The more, the better. 40k doesn't work without background. Wikipedia should suffice for the beginning. Then you get a rough idea what the armies are about and which ones you like better than others. Then, have a look at the miniatures, then choose your army.

Choosing an army without knowing about the respective backgrounds doesn't work.

Ha7y
07-08-2007, 10:08
I think I'm gonna go with Eldar Wiki - here i come!