PDA

View Full Version : Ok It's Time To Buy A Set.

Ha7y
06-08-2007, 20:41
Ok I want to start playing 40K . I want to start off and be able to paint and play ...

I am thinking about buying the Battle For Macragge set.

But I thought about buying a space marine starter set...

But that doesn't come with the rulebook - is the rulebook really necessary for a new player..?

Slaaneshi Slave
06-08-2007, 20:46
If you wish to start playing Marines the Battle for Macragge set only has one unit in - 18 worth. The only other thing in there is the rule book, not even the proper one at that.

Take a look at this (http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=40k+rule+book) Ebay search for much cheaper 40k rule books - the proper hard back version. If you can get that cheap, you can then spend more money on figures (2 tactical squads and a Captain of some sort is good) to start with.

Ha7y
06-08-2007, 20:48
I'd buy the Starter set then that Rulebook Thanks.

Baneboss
06-08-2007, 20:50
Do you really want to start playing SM? Tau mega force is a good buy for example.

Ha7y
06-08-2007, 20:52
I don't know i just want everything to start for as cheap as possible Paints Rulebook Codex Figures. Looks like I am going to have to spend over a 100

Colonel Raijan
06-08-2007, 20:59
It all depends what type of army you ACTUALLY want. The cheapest army would be Thousand Sons because they are so few of em in an army but then you would have to wait for a few weeks for the new Chaos codex. It's no good getting marines if you are going to change your mind halfway through.

EarlGrey
06-08-2007, 21:12
But that doesn't come with the rulebook - is the rulebook really necessary for a new player..?

Yeah, the rulebook is pretty essential. :)
However, if you can perhaps borrow one, or if you have regular access (from a friend maybe), than you might be able to get by for a while.

However, starting an army is usually a good chunk of investment to begin with. The 40K Macragge set is probably a good way to start, as you get the rules, some scenery, and some models to play with.
But it really depends on what you want to do and your situation. If you've got other people around you to teach you, then the Macragge set probably isn't worth it and you may as well spend the money on a good sized army (the Battle boxes for 50 are good buys, you save a fair amount off the normal price of buying them seperate). But make sure you get the codex too!

Welcome to 40K!

Some guy (UK)
06-08-2007, 21:13
Right, first of all, decide what army you want.

Next decide what is most important to you. Is it painting and converting, or playing games.

If playing, go for the 100 box, codex and hardback rulebook.

If painting, well you are going to learn to play second, so you can leave the rulebook until later. Buy the codex (again go through points one and two first), and buy a HQ option, and two troops choices. Paint these up as well as you can. Then learn to play then, or carry on painting and modeling.

For both paths however, follow these two steps:
1) Be sure you want to start this hobby. Go to a store if possible and ask for an intro game, and a general chat.
2)Are you absolutely certain SM's are for you- if you haven't been to a GW store, ask for a look at some of the models, read the codex, look on the GW website etc.

muskrat
06-08-2007, 21:16
...going for cheap won't get you far in this hobby bud...

not to discourage you, but it can add up. They are right though- first thing you need to decide is what army you're going to play. I say no to marines, cuz marines are dime a dozen- though for a new player, it may be just what you need, as they are tactically forgiving.

Buy the battleforce, then find a cheap rulebook- or even, for beginning, pick up the macragge rulebook from ebay.

Gaebriel
06-08-2007, 21:52
If you are in any way not mentally challenged, don't buy the Macragge box. It's nice for beginners due to the step-by-step introduction, but if you're strapped on cash, you can invest the money better.

I wouuldn't say you need a rulebook at first - a game learns quicker if you're explained it anyway, and the finer aspects can wait for later. Go down to a local club/store/gaming group and let them show you the game - play a couple of games with some borrowed armies. Let them introduce you to background and the different options.

Then choose an army you like, get the Codex, a Battleforce, one or two squads extra and hobby materials. Lateron you can get the rulebook, or pick up the Macragge one cheap on eBay.

fish12
06-08-2007, 22:01
When I first got into 40k I bought a Marine Battle force, most of the people I knew had a rulebook anyways. It's paid off in the long run, I think the money I invested was better spent.

Pvt_Jack_Ryan
06-08-2007, 22:07
Buy the rulebook.

John Vaughan
06-08-2007, 22:38
I'd reccomend starting with Space Marines. They are as basic as they get (even though I personally would much rather play necrons). I started with the Macragge set, which was good for learning the rules, but it got VERY basic. I now have 4500 points of Space Marines, and 1250 of Tyranids. Go with the marines, they are easy to play, versatile, and dont die under one salvo of fire (much to my disappointment at the nids). Besides, you can make up your own chapter and paint them the way you want. There are even rules for chapter traits and such. Its just all good! (Sorry to all of you who really doing like the excessive SM publicity. I like necrons better myself!)

Glavemaster
06-08-2007, 22:41
IMHO, you should take a trip down to your local hobby centre and ask for an introduction. People are usually glad to help. See how you come along. As Gaebriel said, you learn quicker if people show things to you, and the more advanced stuff can wait for later.

Duhgame
06-08-2007, 23:20
Decide what you want to start this hobby for: painting, gaming, a combination fo the two, or other.
If gaming, the get the hardcover rule book and the starter box of the army that you like best along with their respective codex.

If painting buy whatever the heck you think looks cool.

If both are in your set of interests than get teh Battle for Mcragge starter set to get a taste of both. Your choice in the end, good luck, and hoped this helped!

Vedar
06-08-2007, 23:29
If you have friends that already play, Go for the Battle Force they can help you with the rules.

If you don't have friends that already play Battle For Macragge set is a good buy as it is pretty cheap (In the US) comes with some marines and has the rule book. You don't need the big rule book if you have the little one. It is the same rules.

Either way you will want a rule book anyway. neither is a bad choice.

Maarten
06-08-2007, 23:34
The Battle For Macragge set is great if you can convince a friend to start the other army. He could buy a box too and the two of you can trade minis (or you find a player of the army you don't want and give/sell them to him). :)

And I can't recommend going to your local GW store. The people are generally quite friendly down there. Just beware you don't leave the store with "everything you need to start", because it WILL empty your wallet in one go ;)

Ha7y
07-08-2007, 10:15
Guys - great information... !!! I think i will to buy an Eldar Battleforce (see my 'Which One?' post) and the codex and a few paints for eldar probably totalling about 70 I went to GW got an Intro game seems cool.
Anyway , being a kid money doesn't come by easily (Lol) so i'll get some for my B'day in a couple of months.

Slaaneshi Slave
07-08-2007, 12:06
It will probably take you several months to paint the Battle Force anyway, so no worries there! :)

fracas
07-08-2007, 13:41
but rule book first. it is essential and has a decent layout of the armies available. once you have had a good look through it, then buy the codex of interests. study this in detail, then buy a starter set.

Rick_1138
07-08-2007, 14:07
Hi there,

Best thing to do is get a rule book ( as everyone has said), and then buy the codex for the army you fancy.

One thing i will stress is this, you will probably pick the wrong army for you to start with, most of us do. However the best piece of advice i can give you is to get the army you like the look of most, there is nothing more demoralizing than painting an army youo dont like the look or feel of.

I always want to do a Grey Knight army but the army is poor, but they look soooo goood.

I would recommend Tau, Space Marines, Sisters of Basttle or Chaos as good fun armies with lots of varieties and play styles.

But yeah, rules, codex, Mega Force Box of your chosen army. oh and paints!

Slaaneshi Slave
07-08-2007, 14:12
I would recommend Tau, Space Marines, Sisters of Basttle or Chaos as good fun armies with lots of varieties and play styles.

Can I have some of what you're smoking please, as I play Sisters of Battle, and I can tell you there are about three different lists total which are competitive.

Rick_1138
07-08-2007, 14:33
i menat as in all 4 of those armies would offer variety, i didn't say they all had heaps of diff lists.

anyway don't know what your complaining about, Sisters are probably the hardest army in the game, i am tempted once i have cleared some wallet space!

sigur
07-08-2007, 14:39
Let's not start talking about SoB now please.;)

@Ha7y: Anyway, you NEED the rulebook to play the game. It's as simple as that. And yes, 40k is expensive. Before you choose your army and the toy soldiers, get a rulebook and read it. Carefully. Often. Always. Read much background, it's crucial.

If you have questions, feel free to ask. Just don't get your Space Marines miniatures too early, give it at least two weeks (well, we all know that you won't because nobody does but try to) before you get miniatures.

And don't make other people choose your army based on their experiences. Eventhough "discussions" about it do, 40k does not take place on the Internet, it's played by small groups of people, often with minimal contact to other groups so playstyles differ from group to group.

Ha7y
08-08-2007, 16:03
That sorted out this thread ... I'm going with Eldar because i love the look of them.

sigur
08-08-2007, 16:45
Alright then, I'm sure you'll enjoy playing/painting Eldar.

Important links you should have a look at:
GW Online's Eldar section (http://uk.games-workshop.com/eldar/)
Wikipedia on Eldar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eldar_(Warhammer_40,000))
Lexicanum - very good, wiki-like site about everything Warhammer (40k and Fantasy Battles) (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Portal:Eldar)

dybbukdude
12-08-2007, 01:27
Don't be SME they're fruity be nids, orks, or IG

Foxx5
12-08-2007, 01:42
ok, im totally new to warhammer, but i got the macragge set and it has help a ton, since you get the rule book in a pocket size, reading that is very important, you also get a mission book with missions with space marines vs tyraids which is cool because he get to play with both and can decide which is more fun for you, maybe you end up with a non space marine army, home this helps.

Chaplain Ark
12-08-2007, 02:51
if your wiling to spend the money i would suggest buying the rulebook on ebay to save money and do the same for the codex. then use the extra money to buy regualr boxes, or if you have it, the battleforce. it has enough to start a good 1,000 point army IIRC, and it saves you money considering whats in it.

Are you interested in starting a particular army, like DA or BT, then you'll have to get the corresponding codex. I personally play BT, and i find them a lot more fun and interesting then a smurf army.

Chaplain Ark
12-08-2007, 03:02
And don't make other people choose your army based on their experiences. Eventhough "discussions" about it do, 40k does not take place on the Internet, it's played by small groups of people, often with minimal contact to other groups so playstyles differ from group to group.

You don't lnow how right you are.

To whomever started this thread. (sorry, to lazy to check), you don't have to start SM. granted they are an excellent army to start with because they are probably the most balanced army in the game, but that doesn't mean you have to start the Emperor's chosen. There are so many different armies in this game that the choices are basically unlimited. Plus, what ever army you want should stick with your favorite playing style. i, for example like to stay back and shoot. Now, to all the people coming to insult me on my choices in armies and playing styles, that doesn't have to be your reason to start an army. the great part about this game is that you can customize your armies to reflect what you want. Sure, you could start Sm because they are balanced, that they have a wide style of play, and that so many people play them that you could get help from others, but the main reason you should start an army is because you like the army. If people keep telling you to start an easy army to play but you like the way Eldar looks, then yo should start the army that you think looks cool. If you like the way the Bloated, slime coated, grimy Plague Marines look, then get plague marines. Don't let anyone here let you convince you into any army they want. Get what you want. What you want, is the only thing that matters.

dybbukdude
12-08-2007, 06:16
good for you being eldar they gonna be my alt
yummy jetbikes