PDA

View Full Version : Space Wolves

Macrus
06-08-2007, 23:14
Im interested in starting space wolves, or salamanders army. But I do not know enough about either of them to make a proper decsion about which one to use.

Basicaly I would like to know how the both play and what sort of units that they can use. And your opinions about them.

Macrus

He who is doom
06-08-2007, 23:22
space wolves = space barbarians/Norse men

i have not a high opinion of the space wolves

Bregalad
06-08-2007, 23:38
Don't know much about Space Marines, but Space Wolves are featured in some 40k novels and have a (OOP?) 3rd edition Mini Codex with more information. In the "Eye of Terror" campaign booklet, they get the 13th company, basically Werewolf Space Marines.
Some people think that Space Wolves desperately need a 4th edition upgrade, which will not come for at least a year.

kamedake88
06-08-2007, 23:42
Space Wolves are CC and Ranged dogs with some cool and different models, also they have no scouts. Salamanders are tough as nails and will burn you to death

BDJV
06-08-2007, 23:54
Space wolves are like space Vikings. What's not Kool about that?
Their army is pretty close combat oriented, that's not to say that they cannot fight well at range. Their Codex is in need of some help though, it's old and definitely need a redo.

Space Wolves are CC and Ranged dogs with some cool and different models, also they have no scouts.
What do you mean they have no scouts? They have one of the Koolest units of scouts in 40K, though most people call 'em broken or cheesy.

kamedake88
06-08-2007, 23:59
I thought they forgo scouts and the new members become Bloodclaws or am I missing something

Master Bait
07-08-2007, 00:04
yeah but they still have scouts, which are instead elite soldiers and loners who operate seprerately from their pack.

to the OP, i'm sure a simple search on wikipedia will turn up a nice amount of background material to be able to gauge how either chapter operates.

but in summary my idea is that, yes, space wolves are essentially space vikings, with a penchant for close combat and rules defining their staunch and stubborn nature. salamanders operate some what differently in that they prefer to get into close range fire fights with the enemy, based on their preference for flamer and melta weaponary

Macrus
07-08-2007, 00:05
Scouts are permanent they dont get higher up the rankings like blood calw to grey hunter. They will stay scouts.
They arent part of any compaines the got where Logan Grimnar tells then to, or help compaines.

Macrus

The Anarchist
07-08-2007, 00:10
I'am a big fan of the Space Wolves and for better understanding of them would recomnd their codex and the first 3 Ragnar books.
whilst Space Vikings sort of sumsthem up they also have some cool differnces from the more normal codex chapters. unlike many chapters they also have a humanitarian streak (especaly their leader the Great Wolf Logan Grimnar) and they do't just pray and fight like many SM, when nt fighting they get drunk and have fun! they are deffinatly more fun than normal marines! :D

The Anarchist
07-08-2007, 00:12
ooops I forgot the Salamanders, for them i would look at their index astartes, if you don't have it look for a certain site which im not alowd to talk about realy; (one of the primary colours)elf.com and they also feature strongly in the 3rd war for armagedon book. sorry thats all i realy know about them, hope it helps.

Master Bait
07-08-2007, 00:13
i wouldn't reccommend reading those Ragnar books, they were abysmal pieces of literature :s

better to see if you can track down the 2nd ed codex off ebay or something, that had an abundance of background material

BDJV
07-08-2007, 00:14
I'am a big fan of the Space Wolves and for better understanding of them would recomnd their codex and the first 3 Ragnar books.
whilst Space Vikings sort of sumsthem up they also have some cool differnces from the more normal codex chapters. unlike many chapters they also have a humanitarian streak (especaly their leader the Great Wolf Logan Grimnar) and they do't just pray and fight like many SM, when nt fighting they get drunk and have fun! they are deffinatly more fun than normal marines! :D
I couldn't agree more with these statements! :D

Macrus
07-08-2007, 00:14
ive read all the sapce wolves books, thats probably why im think aobut collecting them (i was in between armys round that time anyway).
Eventhough i think their really cool, i really like the Salamanders.

Macrus

The_Outsider
07-08-2007, 00:17
Play the 13th company for a force that will-

A) become illegal at some point (which sucks as I have an army of them)

B) get about as many attacks as any sef respecting khorne berserker (well, a little less).

C) Is horribly broken in certain special/raid/battle missions

D) fields 50 men at 1500 points (going for numbers)

E) Will get an army wide turn 3 charge

F) win said combat and munch jsut about anything that gets close.

Normal SW aren't as violent but are a far more balanced list.

A wolf lord and venerable dread as your 2 HQ's at 1500 (as you MUST have 2 - no more no less). Lord could probably do with a retinue - i'm a fan of a terminator retinue but a power armour pack is good.

1 or 2 packs of plasma grey hunters with a razorback for support.

2 or more Blood claw units - each with a wold guard.

Probably another dread just because they rock (and via RaW you can have 2 'venerable' dreads - one the SW flavour and one the codex SM flavour).

Short answer: SW focus on close range fire and assaults.

BDJV
07-08-2007, 00:20
There's nothing wrong with Sallies at all. I had a small army of them during the Armageddon campaign. I do love their use of Meltas.

Bottom line it's your army, pick the one you think is the Koolest!

Macrus
07-08-2007, 00:25
thanks for the help.

Macrus

victorpofa
07-08-2007, 02:42
Space Wolves are a very characterful chapter, and you can find many of the older models and the codex on ebay cheap. Many whole armies too :) I managed to get multiples of all the characters and Wolf Guard models for very little money.

1. Blood Claws are your assault troops (Not as skilled as standard marines)
2. Grey Hunters are your tactical troops and make up most of your force
3. Bikers, Jump Pack troops, and Terminators are very expensive compared to other marines.
4. They can take a Leman Russ Exterminator (TL Autocannon)
5. You must take one HQ per so many points in your force. No more, no less.
6. Scouts are elite troops, not raw recruits (Those are Blood Claws), and can turn up in your enemie's deployment zone to wreak havoc.

Salamanders I don't know much about apart from their love of flamers and melta weapons.

freebooter
07-08-2007, 08:55
Space Wolves are truly my fave of the chapters and I count myself as one of the loya members of the fang.

The best bet if you want to know more is to go ask the guys at the B&C.
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showforum=13
We're a good lot and you'll get some great advice from us.

Rick_1138
07-08-2007, 09:01
the best thing i would say to do is to go down the route of the trait system for each aarmy, i.e. read up the stories and fluff for each chapter and see what you like.

Personally i like both armies, but the salamanders would look very nice on a table top, there isn't enough of them......oh no, now i want to paint a salamanders army....curses.

mistformsquirrel
07-08-2007, 09:10
Since no one has bothered to say much about them <,<

The Salamanders are a chapter based on the planet of Nocturne, and their primarch was a man named Vulkan.

Vulkan was trained as a smith; and the Salamanders version of the Imperial cult is also known as the Promethean cult, with a great deal of forge-centric themes. Whats especially unusual about the Salamanders however is that they continue to live and work among their people on their homeworld when not on duty.

They have a high amount of artificer equipment, and prefer fire-based weapons such as flamers and meltas (and thus are a short-range army typically). One of their themes also seems to be outlasting the enemy and grinding them down.

Essentially its an army of tough down to earth Marines with a very unusual humanitarian streak - to the degree that during the 3rd Armageddon War, Chapter Master Tu'Shan beat the snot out of a Marines Malevolent Captain for firing Whirlwinds at a refugee camp; reminding the Marines Malevolent Captain of his duty as a Space Marine is to protect humanity, not lord their special status over them.

They also have a green armor scheme, but its a bit different than the Dark Angels.

Also - they only have 7 Companies which are substantially larger than normal Codex companies (Vulkan wasn't keen on the Codex and sided with the Wolves and Fists in initially resisting its implementation); and their First Company is known as the Fire Drakes, named after the huge fire-proof reptiles that inhabit Nocturne.

As for heroic action they've undertaken - during the 3rd War for Armageddon it was the Salamanders who did a great deal of damage to the Orks by entering their Roks and hunting them through the dangerous tunnels, destroying the Roks from within.

There's a lot about them really >.> (One of my favorite chapters fluffwise)

trigger
07-08-2007, 09:15
me personally im a wolf ,
they have a lot of charicter to play with and its an easy army to get wrong(unballanced) they have lots of fluff about them and there own codex.
sorry dont know much about the salamanders , they do have a nice paint palat though,#
if your a reasonable painter go for the salamanders to showthem off there arent that many of them ab out, so you would have a uniqu army
wear as with the wolves you will be joining thousands of others
plus if you do get the wolves be prepared for every one you beet to call you beardy and you r army broken