PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elf treachery

themandudeperson
06-08-2007, 23:04
I have a friend who plays wood elves and at 2000 pts he fields a highborn with a bow of loren so he can shoot 5 times and starfire arrows. With his high ballistic skill he gets 4-5 hits. If he's lucky and manages 5 wounds do I have to take 5 panic tests or just one?

WLBjork
06-08-2007, 23:13
You only take 1 panic test per phase (magic, shooting etc.).

themandudeperson
06-08-2007, 23:22
HAH!! that helps a lot!!

Therunelord
07-08-2007, 00:21
Funny, me and mandude play alot with this guy, and usually get the snot beaten out of us, It's good to hear that he was wrong about something:)

theunwantedbeing
07-08-2007, 00:27
It states in the description of the item that only one panic test is taken regardless of casualties inflicted.

If something sounds too good,always ask to see the rule for the thing in question,just to be sure your opponent isnt inadvertently cheating.

themandudeperson
07-08-2007, 00:43
well, being that I don't have the army book for wood elves I had to go off of what army builder said. Which wasn't much.. As for our wood elf lovin' friend, now I might actually play against him. Runelord had trouble making all of those leadership tests with his dwarves, it would have been impossible for me and my skaven

theunwantedbeing
07-08-2007, 00:55
You need to buy the book,or whoever it is that has the wood elf army.

Lavieth
07-08-2007, 02:46
How is he even getting 5 shots?
It's using the base amount of attacks (which for a highborn is only 4), and not any additional attacks granted via other options.

Also it does only cause 1 panic check per phase.

I think you need to call him a liar and a cheater! lol ... well not really ... due correct him

Lavieth

nieto666
07-08-2007, 03:45
simple i'll tell u how i make him a alter kindred and give him the bow of loren. the alter kindred for a high born who usually has 4 attack now has five due to being a alter kindred. the bow of loren gives him as many shots as he has attacks......hence forth 5:) and yes it is only one panic test, sorry about that, but seeing how jacob was the only one who has ever experianced them and not scott i really must say u cant complain. plus normally its not my starfire arrows that cause so many problems its hail of doom arrow followed up by thirty shots from my glade that normally rip u two apart. plus jacob u never have good coverage on the board so its very easy to pummel u with dyrads, wardancers, and a treemen or treekin. oh and this is for u laveith for calling me a liar the direct exert out of the army book for ur viewing pleasure.
This longbow allows the bearer to shoot as many times as they have attacks on their profile. the bearer does not suffer -1 for muiltiple shoots. once again i reiterate make a high born alter kindred making his profile say 5 attacks instead of 4 problems solved.

T10
07-08-2007, 06:35
I was under the impression that you cannot fire magical arrows with a magical bow.

-T10

theunwantedbeing
07-08-2007, 07:08
Page 64 of the wood elf armybook.
Under enchanted items.

Magic arrows may be fired with normal or magic bows, with any exceptions noted.

ooo slanty writing ^_^

soots
07-08-2007, 07:10
base attack 4... alter kindred bonuses.... lol. now that deserves its own thread.

T10
07-08-2007, 07:16
Magic arrows may be fired with normal or magic bows, with any exceptions noted.

There you go. I guess I managed to mentally insert a "not" in there.

-T10

Xavier
07-08-2007, 08:17
Alter kindred adds to base attacks, thus he has 5 shots.

Though I do agree this needs to be FAQ'd to clarify it.

N1AK
07-08-2007, 13:49
Yeah I'd say the Bow of Loren + Alter Kindred combo is pretty much a done deal as +1 shot. It adds one attack to his profile, and the bow shoots once per attack he has.
Of course as with anything slightly ambigious I would rather see it FAQed just for completenesses sake.

nieto666
07-08-2007, 15:08
i agree it does need to be FAQed.

Da GoBBo
07-08-2007, 18:12
The alter kindreds extra attack is indeed added to the profile.

About the panic tests. If I'm correct, a unit only ever makes one test due to shooting a turn, even when hit by multiple units. This is a basic rule. So, if a unit is forced to make a test because it lost 25%+ models, it can't be forced to make another check that turn, not even by these arrows. If the arrows could do that, it would have to be specifically stated in the items description.

theunwantedbeing
07-08-2007, 18:51
Da GoBBO you are indeed correct,page 49 of the rulebook(which everyone should have.....) states all you need to know on panic.

themandudeperson
07-08-2007, 19:42
Da GoBBO you are indeed correct,page 49 of the rulebook(which everyone should have.....) states all you need to know on panic.

reading that part of the rule book is what made me think to ask about it on the forums... Wood Elves are still pretty treacherous guys though...

Griefbringer
07-08-2007, 20:03
Also, to quote from the rules of the Starfire Arrows:

"Any unit that suffers one or more casualties from Starfire Arrows must take a Panic check, regardless of the number of casualties caused."

To me that pretty clearly indicates that they can only cause you to take one panic check (per turn).

As for the alter kindred lord with bow of Loren and starfire arrows, that sounds like good 240 points for a lonely character - rather pricy,

nieto666
08-08-2007, 03:43
its a diversion that actually works pretty well.....although ive only tried it once. everyone is so intimated about my shooting they do everything within their power to shut it down. hence forth allowing me out manuver them. i always like changeing things up in most of the games i play.

DaBrode
08-08-2007, 04:02
Back to the panic tests...once you pass the test the starfire arrows force upon you are you then immune for the rest of the game as with a fear check or terror test and the unit that causes it? I'm guessing no because it's a magical source that repeats the effect but...

Just curious, I'm at work else I'd look it up myself.

EDIT:
The more I re-read my own question the more I realize how there's no way that can be true. Please disregard.

soots
08-08-2007, 04:10
Fear test doesnt make you immune for the rest of the game, and neither do weapons that have this special rule.

Terror is a once a game test though.

As a house rule, we dont roll any panic tests until the end of the shooting phase. That way you wont accidentally make a unit take more than 1 panic test.

Xavier
08-08-2007, 04:13
Your always subject to fear.
You only ever need to take one terror test, regardless of the source, the terror causer will then cause fear.

DaBrode
08-08-2007, 05:42
Your always subject to fear.
You only ever need to take one terror test, regardless of the source, the terror causer will then cause fear.

Regardless of the source? So if I have two terror causing units/models and a unit passes the test for one they are fine for the game against both?

(sorry this is getting off topic)

Xavier
08-08-2007, 05:54
Page 51, Terror, 2nd Paragraph

"Troops only ever test for Terror once in a battle and then are not affected again, even if the test is failed."

Page 51, Terror, 3rd Paragraph

"As any unit of troops only ever takes one Terror test in a battle, any subsequent encounters with terrifying monsters or situations will only count as Fear."