PDA

View Full Version : What can Iron Warriors do with their Basilisks?

Vedar
07-08-2007, 00:50
Now that IW has collectively forgotten how to use the Basilisk, What can we do with them?

I'm trying to think of some kind of conversion so I don't have to put it in the trash can, but it is a rather unique model that does not lend itself well to being converted? I'm tempted to snub the barrel and slap some armor on the sides and call it a Vindicator but I assume I'd get a lot of "what the hell is that". Any Ideas?

Katkiller 5
07-08-2007, 00:52
I'd say make it a vindicator. You might get those comments, but everyone should be fine with it, plus it would probably look pretty cool once you're done plating the whole thing in armor and adding chaos iconography everywhere.

Ravenous
07-08-2007, 00:55
Add some legs and make it a defiler.

Or use it for a traitor guard army, or lost and the damned.

Sons of Russ
07-08-2007, 00:55
dont have to plate it, just crew it with Chaos Marines.

Power Armour negates the effects of open topped vehicles.

Katkiller 5
07-08-2007, 00:58
True, but with the right modeling look you could make it very sweet. If i had the plastic or plasticard plates I'd use converted bassies for vindicators, the huge long barrel plus the nice thick armor, make it look truly chaos on top of that, oh yeah :evilgrin:

Stingray_tm
07-08-2007, 01:01
Use it as Vindicator. Anyone objecting that isn't worth your time.

vipernyc
07-08-2007, 01:16
yeah seriously - why even bother converting? just use "counts as" and call it a vindicator.

Bork
07-08-2007, 01:18
VDR it and use it in apocalypse.
Start a LATD or traitor guard army, or sell it to someone who has that kind of army.

logosloki
07-08-2007, 01:34
start up a chaos themed guard army. coolest thing ever. then try to get your group to allow you to take icons with your chaos guard army. then stomp them some.

Or get ready to loot them for the new ork dex. thats if they have the ability to loot anything in the new dex

PNETOD
07-08-2007, 01:49
vindicator sounds like the only reasonable awnser

unclejimbo827
07-08-2007, 01:55
I'd let you use it as a vindicator

Brother-Hyuuga
07-08-2007, 02:06
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/basenc.htm
Build a shell for the cannon similar to this picture attach a dozer blade. Instant Chaos Vindicator.

Slaaneshi Slave
07-08-2007, 02:14
VDR it exactly the same as a Basilisk? :p

Xgladar
07-08-2007, 04:02
put made-up-legs on it and a demon head and give it side sponsoon weapons and you got a nice looking defiler

Light of the Emperor
07-08-2007, 04:20
Donate them to your local PDF. Based on the beatings they always seem to get in the fluff, they could use a few.

You can also just remove the gun and add a suitably big mortar like contraption to serve as a vindicator.

Spetulhu
07-08-2007, 05:17
Sell or donate it to your nearest Guard player?

sebster
07-08-2007, 05:54
yeah seriously - why even bother converting? just use "counts as" and call it a vindicator.

Because converting it can make it look more like a heavily armoured short range gun o' doom. Don't have to, but it would be cooler and this is a modelling hobby as well, yeah?

cuda1179
07-08-2007, 06:58
I would say you should crop the barrel down, get a HUGE dozer blade, add some side skirts, and then enclose the crew compartment. Use it as a vindicator.

TheOverlord
07-08-2007, 06:59
LatD needs love too! Or the vindicator's a sweet idea too.

Or better yet, sell to a IG player and buy more chaos termies!

Arcanus
07-08-2007, 08:44
My two favorite ideas are the vindicator and the defiler I think if you do it right the defiler would look amazing and unique.

Enderel
07-08-2007, 08:51
Mine is taking pride and place in the centre of a LatD army that I'm building.

If I want to use it in the IW army I'll use it as a "count as" vindicator.

Carlos
07-08-2007, 09:01
Actually a Defiler conversion woukd look pretty cool. If you have a toy shop nearby look for some large plastic insects or crabs and cut off their claws and legs, then cut holes on the sides of the basilisk and have the legs 'tearing' out of the sides, as if the tank has been freshly possessed by something.

jfrazell
07-08-2007, 13:02
As others have already said-use it as a vindicator or predator. Vindicator is a one for one conversion-no change needed. For a predator conversion put two magnets on the sides so you can attach sponsons when playing the anal.

Additionally you can run it as a defiler. The CC abilities from from the tank's "crush and grind." Really, as long as I knew what it represented I would not care.

Chaos Undivided
07-08-2007, 13:12

Agreed dont butcher your lovely big guns, just "count as" or shelf em and keep your fingers and toes (and everything else for that matter) crossed for a dedicated IW codex in the future. :chrome:

gitburna
07-08-2007, 14:30
Have you read Storm of Iron ?

Why not wait for apocalypse and use it in that, along with any other big gun tanks you can get your hands on. Even that fantasy chaos cannon would look good.
For use in non apocalpyse games you'll probably want to find a replacement though, but maybe with the reorganisation of the heavy support and elite slots you wont actually have space to get one.

So yeah, my vote is for "use it in apocalypse with a load of others"

ehlijen
07-08-2007, 14:50
You could use them as vindicators. But at the very least: shorten the barrel (there IS a difference between artillery and demolition weapons), replace the heavy bolter with a storm bolter and maybe either enclose it or add a power armour crew. While most people will let you use them as is, few will like it new player will be horribly confused.

Ironhand
07-08-2007, 14:59
Keep it and use it in Apocalypse games, along with 4 or 5 more. :D

jfrazell
07-08-2007, 15:22
You could use them as vindicators. But at the very least: shorten the barrel (there IS a difference between artillery and demolition weapons), replace the heavy bolter with a storm bolter and maybe either enclose it or add a power armour crew. While most people will let you use them as is, few will like it new player will be horribly confused.

Why? As noted previously, just put marines in as the crew.

scoundr3L
07-08-2007, 15:33
Normally, under these circumstances, I would command thee to do a barrel roll, BUT scince this is warseer and everyone on this forum pretty much owns, might i suggest maybe putting a plow on the front and slap soem extra armour on it? that would be pretty cool.

obithius
07-08-2007, 17:57
If I were your opponent I'd let you use it as a Basilisk. You bought the model in good faith and painted it,what's the problem?

Randy
07-08-2007, 18:11
Counts as, sell it, swap it for something, convert it.

Personally I couldn't be bothered converting so I'd be inclined to try and swap it.

Arcanus
07-08-2007, 18:19
Don't sell it convert it. Conversions are one of a kind, it'd make your vindicator or defiler look amazing and make your army look better.

Endemion
07-08-2007, 19:37
Really expensive objective marker?

Lord Malek The Red Knight
07-08-2007, 20:07
put it on a big base (the same size you would use for a Defiler), and surround it with guards/crew/slaves/servitors, to "count as" a defiler with the Indirect Fire upgrade (im assuming they can still have it)?

you could even chain it down like a WHFB Hellcannon. :D

~ Tim

Darnok
07-08-2007, 20:10
Use them in Apocalypse, they are perfectly legal there. Otherwise go for house rules. I don't think anybody outside of a tournament would really care.

Arcanus
07-08-2007, 20:15
Use them in Apocalypse, they are perfectly legal there. Otherwise go for house rules. I don't think anybody outside of a tournament would really care.

Yeah good point but, seriously convert it you know you want to.

Dreachon
07-08-2007, 20:22
I have a fledgling traitor guard army so mine can go to that, with apocalypse you can use it again as chaos may take units from the imperials.

Arcanus
07-08-2007, 20:30
I have a fledgling traitor guard army so mine can go to that, with apocalypse you can use it again as chaos may take units from the imperials.

I would imagine that stealing a basilisk would be pretty hard. I think the only way renegade guard would get it would be if they had it when they back renegade.

Dreachon
07-08-2007, 20:31
Entire regiments have fallen to chaos and they will take anything with em, also their's still FW are warehouses they will plunder, just look at vraks, massieve stockpiles of weapons and vehicles.

Arcanus
07-08-2007, 20:40
Entire regiments have fallen to chaos and they will take anything with em, also their's still FW are warehouses they will plunder, just look at vraks, massieve stockpiles of weapons and vehicles.

Yeah I agree with what you said but I thought that you were implying that Chaos would "hijack" Imperial Basilisks.

Dreachon
07-08-2007, 20:48
they could if any are left in a usable state ( read probaly very little ), but then the legions had full imperial armies attached to them in the great crusade and these fled along with their masters.

Hiox
07-08-2007, 22:08
I would let you just use it as a Vindicator, Deflier, or just simply continue using it as a Basilisk. Maybe some conversion work would be nice but I wouldn't bother you about it at all. Just make sure it is known before the game what is being treated as.

Voltaire01
07-08-2007, 22:18
I'm gonna convert mine for da orks!

CommisarMolotov
07-08-2007, 22:58
What can Iron Warriors do with their Basilisks?

I've been wanting to tell them what they can do with their Basilisks for YEARS...

studderigdave
07-08-2007, 23:21
mail it back to GW, with a note saying saying thanks for the comment about never having models you cant use anymore. as a matter of fact, ill mail you my nurglings, since they wont be making an appearance in the new chaos codex either.

on topic: i would make a LatD force with it, or make it a vindi like other have saud.

WarSmith7
07-08-2007, 23:54
Let's see, what Can I do with my IW basilisk...

hmn...

Well, I cna't eat it, it's plastic, so that's out...

I can't send it back cause it's painted, no one's gonna want it either without repainting it, so that's out...

I could make a hat out of it? Suppose the nex dex makes me look like an ass already, so what's a goofy hat to boot?

Or, ya know, I could take the hint from GW and just shove it where the sun doesn't shine, I mean, they don't care, do they?

Nah, I think it's best if we all just place our babies on the our collectors shelves where we can look back on it with fond memories, where each legion was unique. When Chaos was about old salt, hard as nails verterans and not loyalist wannabes. Oh well, times change, suck it up right, shut up, and buy more models, right? Thanks GW, thanks...

Belisarius
08-08-2007, 02:06
I think Studderin dave has the right idea but barring that I would use it as an attached LatD attachment in Apoc 3 mutants and more tanks allied with your IW force.