PDA

View Full Version : 2250 tourny wood elfs

Eldem
07-08-2007, 00:35
So this list is going to be one of my tow tournament armies (the other is highh elfs which will be redone when the new book comes out.) the goal is for this armie to be balanced and versatile enough to overcome most other types of armies, heavy magic, gunlines, hordes, close combat, and monsters, as in large tournaments you never know what your actually going to get. I will list the units and what I plan to use them for. I just want some opinions on my list. The problem I have is a limited amount of playtesting thus far as I don't want to buy a tone of models only to not use them latter on (did that with high elfs ran out of money in a hurry). So any advice would be most appreciated.

LORDS
Highborn Great weopon, light armor, shield,
Annoyance of Nettlings, (can only be hit on 6's in challenge)
Starfire Arrows, (1 wound causes panic)
Stone of the Cyrstal Mere, (3+ ward save)
Helm of the hunt,( +1 weopon skill +1 attack)
Alter Kindred, (M9 I9 +1 attack)

To be used to take out fighty characters, mages, monsters, or help with damage as he has 6 str6 attacks on the charge. Also with starfire arrows against goblins and skaven can cause some panic.

Heros
Mage lv2
2 dispel scrolls

Scroll caddy

Mage lv 2
Glamorweave, (forest sprirt)
Unicorn
Blight of Terror (cause terror)

Will go with wild riders or treekin thanks to the unicorn going with those units does not make them loose any punch and also gives the unit a 2 magic resistence, the goal will be to get those uits down there and let some of the terror take effect, great against low Ld Horde armies, (empire, goblins, skaven, skinks) Which from experince I find wood elfs have the most problems with.

CORE
10 glade guard
10 glade guard

basic archer support.

5 scout
5 scout

these are my sacrifice and garbage units, also help to harrass the enemy. I especially like scouts for tying up units that rely on the charge, chariots and some calvary. Or for blocking siege weopns line of sight. They can also help with seige weopon hunting as well as mage hunting if need be.

5 glade riders

harrass harrass some more, and when everyone is nice and harrassed, then wash and repeat.

SPECIAL
8 wardancers
full command
8 wardancers
full command

A good unit for some hard hitting, holding flanks and just a good combat unit in general. Plus I love the fluff

5 Wildriders
Full command

A great unit for combat. On the charge an acceptable strength five, and then after the charge double the attacks at str4. Quick, and one of the more resiliant units in wood elfs with a 5+ armor save and 5+ ward save, with the unicorn they will also have 2 magic resistance. Another hammer unit

Treekin
elder

10 str five attacks, 4+ armor 5+ ward save and 5 toughness, immune to psych can really help to hold and hurt units until the wardancers arrive to finish the job off, also the only unit in the army that can survive a calvary charge, magic etc.

RARE
6 waywatchers
6 waywatchers

killing blow hits on 2's. Heavy armor killers. There job take out the things I don't want to deal with, or at least soften them up. Not as much of a sacrifice unit as scouts becuase of the cost but still can be used in a pinch

Personally I like how my close combat units are all immune to psych, and hit damn hard. I have enough archers to soften up some of the units. The shooting adds up to fifty bow shots a turn, and even giants wil be wary of fifty shots a turn. I don't have too many points bogged down in any of the units, and the four main combat units can manage indivually if need be so looseing any in particular isn't devestating. And with a fast moveing terror unit, and the starfire arrows cuasing panic I can cause some nice psych tests. While not haveing to really on them. Also the army can play offensive and defensive. Example offensive, the unicorn mage goes with the wildriders, and defensive with the treekin. The army is also a little unique looking to me. but I could be wrong there. The only thing I really wish I had was eternal guard, but I can live with out them.

An option I am considering, is drop the unicorn and Glamorweave from the mage, and the unit of glade riders to add a Wood elf noble on a great stage with the Wild rider kindred and give him the blight of terrors, just not sure if I want to do that, as I like my mage being more than a scroll caddy.

Anyway tell me what you think please.
thanks for the help and I apologize for spelling errors and typos

Eldem
08-08-2007, 02:31
Anybody, anybody at all?

DesertDirge
08-08-2007, 13:28
really.. there's not much to say because you explained yourself pretty well.

If I was do anything I'd drop the scouts (I know you want to use the models) because there roll and the Waywatchers are about the same.

Add more Glade Riders or more treekin.

rexim
08-08-2007, 13:54
scouts and waywatchers are not worth theier points, you dont have hail of doom arrows any were in this list and it is pretty good.
you have no dryads in your army either, they are the worst unit to meet in a woodelf army aqording to me.

Vinciri
08-08-2007, 20:00
*** There we go

LORDS
Highborn Great weopon, light armor, shield,
Annoyance of Nettlings, (can only be hit on 6's in challenge)
Starfire Arrows, (1 wound causes panic)
Stone of the Cyrstal Mere, (3+ ward save)
Helm of the hunt,( +1 weopon skill +1 attack)
Alter Kindred, (M9 I9 +1 attack)

*** Looks solid, not to sure about the starfire arrows though. But I never used them myself, so if they work for you, keep them.

Heros
Mage lv2
2 dispel scrolls

*** Solid

Mage lv 2
Glamorweave, (forest sprirt)
Unicorn
Blight of Terror (cause terror)

*** Remove all the items and upgrades, except for lvl2 and give: Calaingor's and a dispell scroll. That way you got a bit of a treesinging phase going on

CORE
10 glade guard
10 glade guard

*** Solid

5 scout
5 scout

*** These are going to compete with your WW for deployment? Your fielding to many infiltrators, you'll have problems deploying them. Replace these with 2 units of 8 dryads

5 glade riders

*** Solid, consider a musician

SPECIAL
8 wardancers
full command
8 wardancers
full command

*** Solid

5 Wildriders
Full command

*** Solid

Treekin
elder

*** Solid

RARE
6 waywatchers
6 waywatchers

*** Solid, maybe replace one unit with a great eagle, for more baiting.

That's my 2 cents, hope it helps

Eldem
11-08-2007, 01:04
The thing about too many infiltraters is that yes I have four, but waywatchers and scouts serve utterly different purposes the scouts help screen enemies, pull frenzy, and block line of sight for warmachings, waywatchers can provide some help on a flank, kill indivdual characters (killing blow, they actually did that against a strigoi the other night:p) and help against night.

The question I have about getting rid of the scouts for dryads is will the dryads be able to help out the same amount against warmachines, as they won;t get down there nearly as fast as scouts. Also anyone know some different models I can use for dryads as I don;t really like the new ones or the old ones.

popisdead
23-08-2007, 22:44
Your post was too wordy. Just tell us what you are taking, rather than explain what it does (we know).

A few suggestions:

Play games at 1000 pts and build a solid army from there. I've yet to meet someone who knows how to play, knows the basics of the army, and needs help with a 2250 pt list.

Don't take unit champions in this army unless you are protecting a character from a challenge.

There are quite a few things I would suggest changing in your army but non trump just playing games to see what works and what doesn't.

warlord hack'a
24-08-2007, 23:49
your post was not too wordy, i am an O&G player so I do not know everything the woodelves can do..

you mention as one of the armies strengths that all your main close combat units are immune to psych. This si also a weakness: when charged you can not choose to flee. This makes these units vulnerable to getting charged by hard hittting enemy untis (chariots, cavalry). But for the rest this looks like a fairly typical WE MSU list..

Zoolander
25-08-2007, 00:31
I would agree with some other posters here. You have too many scouts. You may want to take another unit of glade guard instead, or a unit of dryads instead, or even better, another unit of glade riders, which you can't have too many. I find one unit of waywatchers sufficient, but if you have too, drop the scouts. Give the glade riders musicians, so you can safely flee charges. Wild riders are good, but I would go with 9 of them (total 10 with the unicorn). This also gives you a rank bonus and if you lose a model or two, you can still break ranks and gain a rank bonus. Treekin are good, but for the cost, I find a treeman better. He's simply more maneuverable and has a ranged attack and spell to boot. But if you want to keep the treekin or don't want to give up a waywatcher unit, then forget this. Lord - where will he go? I don't think he should be walking around by himself or he will be killed. I also agree with someone else posting that you have too many champions. This can be dangerous for if you get challenged, it will work to your disadvantage. The treekin, for example, don't need a champion.

You post was not too wordy. I, for one, appreciated that you explained what you expected to do with your units. I play WEs all the time, and my uses for units may differ from yours.