PDA

View Full Version : My first season in new league

Peril
07-08-2007, 02:43
Ok so my local store has started a new LRB5 league. I have decided to pay Orcs.

Here is my likely starting lineup:

Black Orc 4x
Blitzer 4x
Lineman 3x

Reroll 3x
FF 3x

I plan to get an Apothecary with my first game check should I make enough. The idea is to field the best defense possible, and add offensive players (Thrower, 2 Goblins) as I go. I have tested this lineup out in the Java game, and it seems to work surprisingly well. I am not interested in the Troll. I hit hard enough without worrying about the Troll's unreliability.

What say you?

th0r
07-08-2007, 02:54
I would find a way to start with a thrower. This way you don't need to waste re-rolls on picking the ball up, or worry about not being to pick it up at all and getting swamped in the backfield. I usually like to start with an apoth but with high av you should be able to get away with it. IMO maybe cut down to two blitzers to start. Also eventually you will want a troll... there best used to tie up opponents rather then hitting and risking skulls or both down.

LordSnotball
17-08-2007, 14:30
4 BOs and 4 blitzers is painful to face... a thrower would definitely be useful, but use him as a runner instead... not sure how the 3 fanfactor will work in LRB5 though, as i still havent figured out the winnings there... but all the previous versions high FF means higher gate meaning higher winnings... if u do intend to buy players later, FF might be an essential element...

Sherlocko
17-08-2007, 16:06
Winnings are a d6(winner gets re-roll on this) with + for fame and +1 for the winner. So FF is not that big of deal in LRB5, in most cases a high FF versus a low FF only generates 10k or so.

the1stpip
18-08-2007, 00:31
Definitely take a thrower to start with, just for Sure Hands, and yes, use him as a runner.

Colonel Dixon
03-10-2007, 17:37
I recently started a team almost identical to the one you're using. Forget the thrower, you've got yourself a running team here. The Blitzers and Black Orcs will run the show, linemen are there simply to put tackle zones in key places. A Troll is extremely useful if only for his presence, plus he's endlessly entertaining when he does go stupid, you can't help but laugh. But you don't need anything with an AV less than 9 on this team. Pad out your roster with at least one more lineman and get an apothecary and priorotize killing over scoring, don't be afraid to take 8 turns to score one Touchdown.

Count Sinister
03-10-2007, 19:27
Agree with the comments about a thrower - not so important for throwing, but really useful for picking up the ball. Fan Factor is far less of an issue in LRB5, as Sherlocko points out, and for that reason I've played leagues (with a Dark Elf team) where I've started with just one FF. Also, it would give you a twelfth player, which is never a bad thing for a starting team, even if almost all of the them AV9.

Red Skullz
03-10-2007, 20:05
I`ve played orcs for quite a while and this is my "winning" starting line-up:
3*blorcs
3*blitzers
1*thrower
3*lineorcs
1*goblin
4*RR
0*FF

980.000gp leaving 20.000 in the treasury. I then bought players/staff in this order:
- blitzer
- apotechary
- blorc
- gobbo
- troll
- remaining staff

You can see more on the team here:
http://www.anarchy.bloodbowlleague.com/default.asp?p=tm&t=dak
The links on the teams mainpage are self explanatory.

talast,
Red

Count Sinister
05-10-2007, 13:43
Nice looking roster, Red Skullz, but don't you have to have a minimum starting FF of 1? Even if you do, though, you have 20,000 in the treasury to make the team 'legal'.

Count Sinister
05-10-2007, 13:45
Nice looking team too, by the way. Just checked it out. Is that the new WH plastic troll? Nice! Looks good for BB.

Darkson
05-10-2007, 13:52
but don't you have to have a minimum starting FF of 1?

Not under LRB5.

Red Skullz
05-10-2007, 16:30
As Darkson said, not under LRB 5 :) Well I feel that it`s not a must in the beginning, I`m more interested in getting that last blitzer after my first game ;)

Thanks :) No the team is entirely metal all the way! Yeah I was skeptical about the new troll but I think it looks quite nice after I painted him. The best part is that his stance is so narrow that he fits on a 25mm base, very practical on the pitch!

Count Sinister
05-10-2007, 22:01
I thought that it looked like it might fit on the 25mm base - that certainly makes things a lot easier on the field. Nice idea!
As for the FF - sorry, didn't realise that it wasn't necessary in LRB5. Now that I think of it, the way that the FAME roll works should have alerted me to that. Looks like a good roster, in that case!

Red Skullz
06-10-2007, 09:34
Thanks :) Well it`s worked really well for me if you take a look at the match record here: http://www.anarchy.bloodbowlleague.com/default.asp?p=ma&so=t&t=dak

Also I think a thrower is essential. AG3 is nothing to be afraid of, first skill you take on a thrower is "Accurate" then maybe "Nerves of Steel" or you might be really lucky and get +AG ;) No an orc team doesn`t open up for a lot of COMP but I average 2,0 COMP in each match with my thrower and that`s quite good :)

Anyways, good luck bud!

Red Skullz
06-10-2007, 09:59
Sorry for double posting but I wanted to promote the goblins as well...

I field 2 goblins in my roster and I gather many would ask why. Well first off in a team with AV9 as the standard you don`t really lose a lot of players during a match, hardly anyone get`s KOed...so you don`t really need 5+ linemen.

Secondly and most importantly. Goblins get "Agility" skills right off the bat, no one else on the team does so. The skill "Catch" anyone ;) Also being "Stunty" and having "Dodge" makes gobbos quite apt at dodging through the worst places on the pitch. Remember they always dodge on 3+!

That`s how I use them when receiving but I use them when I kick as well. I team them up with my thrower as reserves way back so that the thrower gets that assist when blitzing a player that`s managed to get through my LOS. Then he can just pass the ball the next turn or the gobbo can run away with it dodging through the tight spots.

Ah well, that`s enough from me for now :angel:

talast,
Red

Peril
18-10-2007, 05:34
Well I stuck to my guns. I bought a Thrower after about 4 games when I had built up my blitzers some. I also got a Troll, and an extra re-roll. One black orc broke his own skull so I fired him and got a new one.

I ended up trying really hard to spread my points around, which worked great! I went 9-2 and got the 2nd seed in my division. I just won my first playoff game tonight against an Undead team that was one of my losses in the regular season. It was a tight close fought match that I won 1 to nil thanks to a second half kickoff blitz!

Here is how the team looks now:

Craktoof [BO]
Strangla [BO] - Cas 3x, MVP 2x, Block, Guard
Legbreaka [BO] - Cas 1x
Bonesnappa [BO] - Cas 2x, MVP 1x, Block
WAAAGH da Impaler [Blitz] - Comp 1x, TD 5x, Cas 1x, MVP 1x, Block, Tackle, Guard
Eadkicker Steelboot [Blitz] - Comp 1x, TD 4x, Block, Tackle
Knuckle Facebeater [Blitz] - TD 5x, MVP 1x, Block, Tackle, Guard
Ard Noggin [Blitz] - TD 3x, MVP 3x, Block, Tackle, Guard
Chum Redshirt [Line] - Comp 1x, Cas 3x, MVP 2x, Block, Kick
Ded Meat [Line] - Cas 1x
Takkul Dummy [Line] - TD 2x, Block
Eater [Troll] - Cas 4x, MVP 1x, Normal Troll Skills, Block
Madd Bommer [Throw] - Comp 7x, Cas 1x, MVP 1x, Pass, Sure Hands, Accurate

I am mising the Troll for the next game (smashed hip), which will be either Norse or Humans. Both are very good players. I am hoping for the human team, the only other one to hand me a defeat (granted it was in the very first game of the season and we rolled some crazy kickoffs and whatnot). I will keep you updated.

Axtklinge
19-10-2007, 10:46
It seem you doing very well in your league!
Congrats and keep us posted!

Cheers
Axt