PDA

View Full Version : Starting Skaven

EldarRaven
07-08-2007, 04:58
Hey there, I decided to start up skaven and I wanted to know what seems to work with them and what doesn't. I was planing to just stay basic for now and then try to jump into Eshin or Pes later. Anyone that played them can you give me some word of advice on things like unit sizes and items, etc. Thanks for the help.

fubukii
07-08-2007, 09:50
i would start out with a battalion or 2, as for units sizes normally 25-30 are good for your blocks of clanrats and 25 is the magic number for slave units. You want to keep your troops as cheap as possible so you can get as many blocks on the table to ensure you can get proper baiting units, and ensure you have enough units to flank the enemy. its early in the morning ill be back later with more advice :P

Geetarman
07-08-2007, 10:17
try asking in the council of 13 thread, lots of tactics and ideas to be had there :)

Gman

Colonel Raijan
07-08-2007, 10:26
A unit of night runners is always helpful for flanking/bothering artillery.

Lord Tzeentch
07-08-2007, 10:33
Awww another person who thinks Skaven are cute(thats why i got them anyway)

I started with 2 battalion box sets. That gives you a nice sized army to start with. 40 Plague Monks (dribbles) thats a good saving your making:)

I like units of 25 Clanrats and Slaves as this helps keep their LD highish and units of 40 Plague Monks. I would also get a WLC as they are fun to use, its always nice when you get strenght 10 on a Vampire lord:)

EshinTriad
07-08-2007, 12:33
Get lots of clanrats (ratlings guns are rather good!). Get slaves. Essentially, skaven must be played hoard style to be decent imo.

Big units are important. I honestly wouldn't take a unit of 40 plague monks though. I cap my plague monk units at 30. 40 just seems a tad too expensive i don't think its worth the 80 pts spent.

Just test the army out though. You'll learn best through experience!

btw fellblade can be really fun if you are into risk taking. It's not necessarily the best magic item but the look on my mates face when my warlord killed his keeper of secrets in one combat phase (and one hit!) was absolutely priceless!

EldarRaven
07-08-2007, 15:01
Awww another person who thinks Skaven are cute(thats why i got them anyway)

Well I wouldn't say the models are cute. I really don't like the Gorilla look they have with the hands and feet, but I just like the way there rules are. I like there horde style of play. I started out playing Wood elvies so having both will keep me into the game for some time since they play completely different.

What about the weapon teams? I like the ratling guns because they are cheaper and can be very deadly on the field. I was planning to get 2 of each though so I have the options.

Is maxing out Jezzails worth it? I was thinking about getting 6-8 because they are pretty costly.

I all ready have Gutter runners (6) from playing Mordheim so I'll be using them too. I do like the tunnel teams best though. I also have some Assassins to run as well.

thanks for the help so far.

Lord Tzeentch
07-08-2007, 15:09
Well I wouldn't say the models are cute.

Awww thats mean:cries:

I like to take two units of 5 Jezzails.

Why not show us what models you have and maybe post an army list on the Fantasy army lists forum so we can all give you abit more advice.

mav1971
08-08-2007, 18:01
I like to take 6 jezzails. That's usually enough to do some damage and not cost too much. I also like to take a unit of plague monks and give them the umbranner magic standard for a 4+ save against S4 shooting attacks. Then I also take a unit of 6 plague censer bearers.