PDA

View Full Version : Part 1 of Chaos Warrior tactics

Comrade Wraith
07-08-2007, 10:30
Chaos warriors are sorely underestimated because of their high points cost and large base size, I aim to prove to you that they are a valuable asset to your army,and show you how you should use them one their own, and in conjunction with deployment and other units. Here is the first installment of Warrior tactics. Enjoy.

ARMING YOUR WARRIORS

How you arm your warriors is perhaps one of the most important aspects of your warriors. Shields work best against most armies, especially missile heavy ones like dwarves. If your regular opponent has a horde army then you can’t go wrong with two handed weapons, especially if the warriors have the mark of Khorne. Halberds are good all-rounders and when combined with shield make one tough defensive unit! Giving a unit of warriors a magic banner is a very good idea, especially in larger games, however taking warriors as chosen should probably be avoided and it’s not worth the cost and knights make better chosen anyway.

Here are some ways to use your warriors.

CENTRE
Perhaps the most obvious tactic is having a solid core of chaos warriors marching forth destroying all in their path. For this role shields should be used as they are likely going to come under the attention of missile fire. Chaos warriors can best most foes in combat so there should be no problem with holding the centre. And while the chaos units are holding the enemy centre back (believe me they can do it!) the rest of your army can concentrate on the flanks. If there’s one thing I know for sure, it’s that chaos warriors are hard.

ANCHOR (not spreadable .......)
Following on from the philosophy…sorry fact that warriors are hard, why not use them to anchor your flanks? This can work two ways, defensively and aggressively. Seeing as most chaos armies only know one order (CHARRRRRRRGE!) then aggressively is most common. If you give your flanking warriors two hand weapons (and , if possible, the mark of Khorne) then in one fatal charge (unless they have a nasty…nasty unit there) you can rip the ears off your opponents battle line and charge in on the flanks, while your chosen knight unit (come on….we’ve all got one right?) pounds the central unit’s eyeballs into the back of their heads the enemies line is eaten in a three way pincer. (You should take plenty of marauders or more warriors for a strong central line.) This aggressive tactic doesn’t however work in horde armies, for horde armies a refused flank is better, and warriors can be helpful in this....

DISTRACTION-REFUSED FLANK (The other one smells...)
The best thing to do against horde armies with a warrior core is a)stand there and wait for them to come for you, or b) put the core of your army on one flank and the warriors on the opposite side. Firstly, if you’re choosing a) then you can’t go wrong with shields, halberds or great weapons.... well maybe with great weapons. B) Sounds insane, your expensive warriors, all alone. But this works, surprisingly (as I said before, chaos warriors are hard!). If you keep all your gribbly monsters in the core the opponent will be forced to either charge the hard core, the hardened warriors, or split his force. (Warriors make amazing distractions so this is how it works.) If he concentrates on one force at a time then you charge the exposed parts of the armies. If he splits his force, move your cavalry out of the core force and into the gap in your opponents force. Now you may think, ah this works in whatever you put on one flank. Not so, the underestimation of chaos warriors make them a ‘expensive but easy target’ (which of course is complete rubbish!) so they are absolutely perfect for this role.

Putty
07-08-2007, 11:00
this is worth a sticky

Comrade Wraith
07-08-2007, 11:02
How do i do that? (Yeah...im a warseer noob) More important, can I do that

Comrade Wraith
07-08-2007, 12:55
Note: There will hopefully be another 2 installments about warriors, maybe more! (oh yay :rolleyes:)

Kerill
07-08-2007, 13:42
Well keep it coming but having the mark of khorne is still featuring heavily. (or maybe rapturous standard slaanesh) but I guess you'll be covering that later. Mounted characters in units have made elite infantry more viable and a wee bit cheaper too.

itcamefromthedeep
07-08-2007, 13:53
I have found, in my humble experiences, that warriors are simply so expensive that they cannot be supported properly. If you field a block of Warriors, you will have fewer units then you opponent, so if your Warriors do not break your opponent on the charge then you will get outflanked and your Warrior unit flank or rear charged, where they will struggle to win combat against anyhting tougher then Goblins (and even Common Goblins with shields will give them trouble). Then you lose.

Either keep them cheap or keep them small.

A unit of 20 with shields and command, full stop. Really, they perform the same role that Chosen do, but for 120pts less. Buy a Chariot with the savings.

10 Chosen Warriors of Khorne, 6 wide, command, great weapons and shields. Charge in, take your 19 Attacks at WS5 S6, and blast through any static combat resolution you might be staring at. The shields are for the extra save against shooting and magic (and in case you get charged by something like White Lions or Glade Riders and you want the save and don't need the Strength). Against normal cavalry, keep the great weapons. Against Grail Knights and Knights of the Inner Circle, you're screwed, so keep the great weapons and hope that the dice are with you on his To Hit rolls.

Putty
07-08-2007, 13:54
How do i do that? (Yeah...im a warseer noob) More important, can I do that

only the mods can sticky this.

we can ask the mod in charge of this section to sticky it. :D

Comrade Wraith
07-08-2007, 13:59
Damn I knew i'd forgotten something, I meant to start off with unit sizes, and 20 is far too much, sixteen is the limit, however chaos warriors will win by wunds not rank bonus, so (unless in two ranks) fifteen is better than sixteen

Lord Tzeentch
07-08-2007, 14:37
Good to see you got this tread out:)

Now hopefully everyone might just start to have a little bit of respect for the Warriors of Chaos. I do agree that they are hard but they must be looked after if you just leave them and say oh don't worry their hard they will be up set. They need a little help every now and then:)

Comrade Wraith
07-08-2007, 14:47
Next time ill be looking at them in support (mark oof tzeentch comes into this.)

Lord Tzeentch
07-08-2007, 14:56
Tzeentch you say lovely just my cup of tea:)

Hey W0lf why don't you like them? What is it the fact that they cost a few points. Comrade Wraith is just pointing out that they have their uses.

Yeah alot of Vets might know this but alot of new Chaos players might not and so many people keep saying they suck. I think this tread will help alot of new players.

Comrade Wraith
07-08-2007, 15:09
Wise words Lord Tzeentch and yeah, i dont expect hardened vets to have to go round looking for pointers having found their own ways of doing things so i made this for newcomers and perhaps regular players who mistrust warriors

W0lf
07-08-2007, 15:10
I think its a good tactica for players wishing to field chaos warriors.

Its also helpful for new players.

(i have removed my other post as i feel a bit of a 'nasty person' being negative when someone has put so much effort into this.)

Comrade Wraith
07-08-2007, 15:12
Thats ok i need a bit of negative comeback otherwise ill never get anywhere (top tip, dont surround yourself with yes men/women)

Lord Tzeentch
07-08-2007, 15:13
Lol you speak your mind. Nothing wrong with that but we are just trying to show that their not as crap as everyone seems to think their are.

Comrade Wraith
07-08-2007, 15:45
Part two is now up

logan054
07-08-2007, 18:18
ARMING YOUR WARRIORS

How you arm your warriors is perhaps one of the most important aspects of your warriors. Shields work best against most armies, especially missile heavy ones like dwarves. If your regular opponent has a horde army then you canít go wrong with two handed weapons, especially if the warriors have the mark of Khorne. Halberds are good all-rounders and when combined with shield make one tough defensive unit! Giving a unit of warriors a magic banner is a very good idea, especially in larger games, however taking warriors as chosen should probably be avoided and itís not worth the cost and knights make better chosen anyway.

Sorry but i have to disagree on the equipment you suggest, you give them extra hand weapons if they arnt khorne or chosen, you are correct for khorne, 6 strength attacks when already 3 behind on combat res will struggle against someone with light armour and shield.

I see nothing wrong with the tactics you suggested, use many of them myself