PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with plasma pistols?

Perfect Organism
07-08-2007, 12:26
In the recent space marine codexes (Dark Angels, Blood Angels and Chaos) plasma pistols seem to be more widely available than other special weapons but also cost a lot of points (far more than they are worth, in my opinion).

Does anyone have any idea what the reasoning behind that could be? If GW thought that plasma pistols were overused, it makes sense to raise the cost but not to make them so widely available and restrict all the alternatives while if they wanted to see more plasma pistols, it makes sense to make them widely available but not to raise the cost to the point where few people will bother to take them.

azimaith
07-08-2007, 12:28
Considering that plasma pistols are both CCWs and regular guns its not unexpected that they are more expensive.

Treat it like a BS using power weapon attack rather than as a plasma pistol and you can see why they would cost what they do.

Rirekon
07-08-2007, 12:28
Presumably they want people to have the option of taking them but still want to dissuade it. It would certainly fit with their current ethos of giving more usable options to create variety.

Brother_Falco
07-08-2007, 14:48
Your post mystifies me Rirekon. The codexes he refers to shed options rather than gained them.
I don't know why, it makes no sense that GW would go on this drive to make 2+ saves more survivable and at the same time make plasma pistols far easier to acquire than flamers (assault squads) etc. You sort of get the feeling that the last three marine books were written by drug addicted schizophrenics some times.

mistformsquirrel
07-08-2007, 15:00
Well, I admit I don't get the dropping of flamers, but the increase in the cost of Plasma pistols imho makes perfect sense.

It's 2 fold - the primary one is simple game balance - A Terminator isn't a cheap model points-wise, while a Plasma Pistol toting Assault Marine wasn't that expensive, yet could easily kill terminators *and* be a significant threat to light vehicles as well. (Remember, its an Assault Squad - so they can even get good positioning for rear and flank armor shots) It also has a good chance of hurting expensive monstrous creatures.

Basically - plasma is *REALLY* powerful. Supposedly Gets Hot balances this out - but on a Marine with a 3+ save... well yah. A 5 point Plasma Pistol... just strikes me as a bit much basically, for all the capability it has.

The other reason is simple fluff - Plasma is *supposed* to be relatively rare; having every 2-bit guardsman and Joe Marine with a plasma gun is just a twinge nuts yes?

As for making it more widely available - I think the idea is that while you should have less plasma in your army in-total, that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to put it where you want it. At least thats the way I see it.

IAMNOTHERE
07-08-2007, 15:06
You can either have another marine or a plasma pistol.

That's how rare they are. Space marine chapters are full of rare and arcane technology and as plasma is effective, any chapter master worth his salt would want as many as he could get.

gitburna
07-08-2007, 15:12
In the recent space marine codexes (Dark Angels, Blood Angels and Chaos) plasma pistols seem to be more widely available than other special weapons but also cost a lot of points (far more than they are worth, in my opinion).

Here is a gun which gives +1 attack in assaults, can be fired before the assault [giving in effect +2 melee attacks] can instakill T3 characters, penetrates nearly all known personal armour [forcefields aside] destroys light and medium vehicles quite easily, and can destroy heavy vehicles when fired from behind, and you are saying you think its overpriced ?

ehlijen
07-08-2007, 15:28
I'm not quite sure what you mean by PPs becoming more widely available. Apart from the new veteran squads (which are expensive pointsink excuses to convert and use old models with nowhere else to go :)) I didn't see anyone getting access who didn't have it before?

Plasma should be quite expensive, but given the threat of MCs, characters and termies, it should also be an option to take in many different slots.

Flamers, not sure why they removed them from A-Squads, but then again, I'm not quite sure why they added them in the 4th ed codex either. My observation is that they were not terribly useful. You either didn't do much with them against meqs or you killed too many geqs and were left without anything to charge. The old pricing might have been a factor in their rarity though (pps were cheaper if I remember right).

Rirekon
07-08-2007, 16:47
Your post mystifies me Rirekon. The codexes he refers to shed options rather than gained them.
I don't know why, it makes no sense that GW would go on this drive to make 2+ saves more survivable and at the same time make plasma pistols far easier to acquire than flamers (assault squads) etc. You sort of get the feeling that the last three marine books were written by drug addicted schizophrenics some times.

They are shedding what they term "useless options", evidently they don't feel the Plasma pistol is useless ;)

Randy
07-08-2007, 18:32
Because being able to actually make a HQ that's as good as a codex chapter is a USELESS option isn't it? I mean for a blood angel player that would be COMPELTELY silly wouldn't it? :P

themagister
07-08-2007, 18:35
they just wanna give you a special-ish weapon, but dont wanna give you the crap in the box. no no no. your gonna have ato buy it! its all marketing