PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Traitor Guard

Mr Feral
07-08-2007, 14:34
Hello, new to the forums here.

I've recently started a Traitor Guard force, I've decided to base them upon Cadians and plan to incorperate some of the new Chaos Renegade Militia from Forge World. I plan on using the IG army list for them but would like some advice on modelling and building an effective force. If you can help I would very much appreciate it. :)

dcikgyurt
07-08-2007, 14:43
Hello, new to the forums here.

I've recently started a Taritor Guard force, I've decided to base them upon Cadians and plan to incorperate some of the new Chaos Renegade Militia from Forge World. I plan on using the IG army list for them but would like some advice on building an effective force. If you can help I would very much appreciate it. :)

Purchase some mutation and chaos vehicle sprues.

You might also want to look at Codex:Eye of Terror. They have traitor guard rules in there, they have fewer options than regular guard, but the IG codex will be a better representation of a company that has just turned. If you do use the guard codex you will miss out on all the cool chaos upgrades, if you use the EoT book then you miss out on all the good guard equipment. As long as you only use the one codex it will be fine. Though the IG based army may not be tournament legal as there aren't rules for traitor guard in there.

Oh, and one more thing; have fun! :evilgrin:

jubilex
07-08-2007, 14:49
As other people have mentioned, if you like the forgeworld "gas mask" guard, but don't want to fork out a fortune, check out pig iron.
You could use the militia as stormtroopers (to keep the cost down) and call them death brigade if you like.

sigur
07-08-2007, 14:57
...I plan on using the IG army list for them but would like some advice on building an effective force. ...

We have the Tactica Imperium Thread in 40k tactics for that.

Mr Feral
07-08-2007, 15:01
Purchase some mutation and chaos vehicle sprues.

You might also want to look at Codex:Eye of Terror. They have traitor guard rules in there, they have fewer options than regular guard, but the IG codex will be a better representation of a company that has just turned. If you do use the guard codex you will miss out on all the cool chaos upgrades, if you use the EoT book then you miss out on all the good guard equipment. As long as you only use the one codex it will be fine. Though the IG based army may not be tournament legal as there aren't rules for traitor guard in there.

Oh, and one more thing; have fun! :evilgrin:

I chose the IE list for one, I'm not sure of the LatD list's legality because of the new Chaos Codexs, second because one of the things I might do is a rogue DH Inquisitor and use the new Renegade Militia psykers as Daemonhosts (I love those models, especially the screaming one :evilgrin:), and three, I'm not such a big fan of Mutants.

Joewrightgm
07-08-2007, 15:04
You could also use the Renegade Militia rules in the Siege of Vraks book.

Mr Feral
07-08-2007, 15:11
You could also use the Renegade Militia rules in the Siege of Vraks book.

From what of the list I've seen it's excellent but I can't afford a 55 (I think) book for one army list, plus I want to use a rogue Inquisitor and Daemonhosts to make my army more unique.

DarthSte
07-08-2007, 15:17
38. But still, it is a hell of a lot for a book. Very nice book though it is. Just use a normal guard list. Easy. Chaos icons, spiky tanks, renegade militia models will give it plenty of character on the tabletop.

Mr Feral
07-08-2007, 15:23
38. But still, it is a hell of a lot for a book. Very nice book though it is. Just use a normal guard list. Easy. Chaos icons, spiky tanks, renegade militia models will give it plenty of character on the tabletop.

Oh yes, I think I must of mixed it up with the Berzerker Ogryns *dribbles*.

MorningLightMountain
07-08-2007, 15:25
there's an article on the UK GW site about doctrines that tells you how to run a renegade Blood Pact army. Some conversion ideas on there too. Good luck!

Mr Feral
07-08-2007, 15:44
I've taken some photos so you can see the general modelling direction I've taken so far, but where do I post them? (sorry for being a n00b)

jubilex
07-08-2007, 16:00
Why not put them here?

Tonberry
07-08-2007, 16:03
there's an article on the UK GW site about doctrines that tells you how to run a renegade Blood Pact army. Some conversion ideas on there too. Good luck!

Sounds interesting, do you have a link for that please?

Mr Feral
07-08-2007, 16:04
Why not put them here?

OK then (I apologise for the bad lighting, but you get the general gist of them)

Sounds interesting, do you have a link for that please?

The link is:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/imperialguard/doctrines/2/

Brother Loki
07-08-2007, 17:24
Nice, I like the weathering on the armour.

Joewrightgm
07-08-2007, 17:40
They look very rough and tumble; very cool stuff man.

themagister
07-08-2007, 17:41
i would just take cadians, then load them with kit, to make them look really self suffficient. paint them in real dark colours like reds, browns, blacks, and blues.

Arcanus
07-08-2007, 17:44
You can use the list in the Witchhunters codex for heretics.

Neilza
07-08-2007, 17:45
Dont forget to remove all imperial badges and add some chaos marine kit bits like the holsters and nades.

The_Outsider
07-08-2007, 17:51
For the love of god go buy codex eye of terror!

It actually has rules for traitor guard (hmm, infiltrating guardsmen backed up by a chaos spawn).

Aaaand you get a 2 wound chaos marine as your HQ (and he is also dead cheap to boot).

Mr Feral
07-08-2007, 18:03
For the love of god go buy codex eye of terror!

It actually has rules for traitor guard (hmm, infiltrating guardsmen backed up by a chaos spawn).

Aaaand you get a 2 wound chaos marine as your HQ (and he is also dead cheap to boot).

I have Codex:EoT, however with the Chaos codex update, from what I have heard Chaos Lieutenants have been removed from the list, so that makes Arch Heretics redundant. I'm using the IG army for the moment at least until GW either updates or redoes the LatD list.

Dont forget to remove all imperial badges and add some chaos marine kit bits like the holsters and nades.

I've removed all the Imperial insignia but I think I've got some Chaos parts lying about somewhere.

i would just take cadians, then load them with kit, to make them look really self suffficient. paint them in real dark colours like reds, browns, blacks, and blues.

That's pretty much what I'm going with this army.

You can use the list in the Witchhunters codex for heretics.

I believe that Traitors from the WH adversaries can only be used against WH armies, so I've stuck with the IG list as they're not too dissimilar.
I would like to point out that I don't plan to using Mutants so I've sticking with the IG list until GW updates the LatD list or does a FAQ.

Thanks for the comments everyone, much appreciated.

Lornak Bloodgreed
07-08-2007, 18:08
and he is also dead cheap to boot.

good, that is getting hard to find... :<

I am gonna make a full traitor guard army for my chaos marines out of rules from both the EoT book, the Apocalypse book, and the new IG codex as well.

The colors on the one posted above look a lot like Red Corsairs traitors and/or Word Bearers traitors, I cant wait to make my own chaos baneblade, tanks, mutants, ect...

Mr Feral
07-08-2007, 18:24
Some more pictures, this one's a Veteran Sergeant, my favourite Traitor so far ;) I used converted Empire Militia arms, Green Stuff for the enclosed helm and a piece from one of the Mordheim buildings sprue for the base.

TheOverlord
07-08-2007, 19:25
Apparently using the cadian and empire flagellants sprues togethers makes for a very gritty if over burly rag tag bunch of cultists :D

Mr Feral
07-08-2007, 19:30
Apparently using the cadian and empire flagellants sprues togethers makes for a very gritty if over burly rag tag bunch of cultists :D

That's a rather interesting idea, I might just use that *coughs* Conscript cannon fodder * coughs* :evilgrin:

elotsip
06-09-2007, 00:23
Nice start.

Culven
06-09-2007, 00:50
Though the IG based army may not be tournament legal as there aren't rules for traitor guard in there.
Of course it would be tournament legal, assuming the Tournament organizer hasn't decided to ban Imperial Guard from th Tournament. This is an example of a "counts as" army. They would use the normal IG rules, and would be Traitor Guard in name only.

jhon
06-09-2007, 02:36
well ... if you are not going to enter a RTT or anything , use the abhumen doctines as part of your doctines .

Culven
06-09-2007, 02:54
well ... if you are not going to enter a RTT or anything , use the abhumen doctines as part of your doctines .
The Abhuman Doctrines are an official addition to the IG codex, and would proabably be allowed in most tournaments.

Belisarius
06-09-2007, 02:55
as an AL player may I suggest a vindicare or everseer assassin to represent a highly trained operative to keep the rank and file in line as well as to terrorize the enemy.

Ddraiglais
06-09-2007, 03:04
I've found that WHFB has some nice parts to convert IG to TG. Two of the Blood Pact armies I've seen used WHFB parts. One used Tomb King Ushabti (sp) for the masks. The other used Bretonian bodies as a base. FW used Chaos Marauder arms in an example for their renegade militia.

jhon
06-09-2007, 03:07
The Abhuman Doctrines are an official addition to the IG codex, and would proabably be allowed in most tournaments.

are you sure is offcial ? course is not state offiicial in the chapter appoval artical .
but any way the abhumen is a good soure to make a T guard , thing such as the beast dotcine fot the krone , the slave dotinces for the nurgle, etc...

Commander Lance
06-09-2007, 03:50
I am currently in the same boat as you man, slightly...

I use to do LATD and did awesome with it, and then I heard of the coming of the new Chaos book and found out the LATD list would be obsolete.

I tinkered with the idea of being Forge World's book for a renegade list, and here its really awesome, but the price has shyed me away as well. But I hear the second part of the book due out whenever is suppose to be awesome and introduce the renegade list with some menacing warmachines.

I recently heard though that the new Apoclaypse book coming out is suppose to host a 'revised' version of LATD. Now what this holds is what I'm eagerlly awaiting but I if that book fails me I think I may seriously consider the Forge Worlds book.

For now though, I'm in the same boat as you: using the Imperial Guard Codex as a stand in for my renegades. Which by the way I am really happy about, but I really want some nasty stuff...

Ddraiglais
06-09-2007, 05:10
LatD was a great list. I hope Apocalypse saves at least the concept.

I don't like the FW renegade list. The variable leadership could kill all of your plans. I prefer traitor guard from the IG list. It's much more flexible. My understanding of IA6 was that it was going to feature CSM reinforcements for the Chaos side. I thought a lot of those warmachines were meant for CSM. From the concept drawings I saw, using them with traitors makes more sense. They looked more like something traitor guard would use.

Like I said, I hope Apocalypse saves the LatD concept. The only thing they would really need is some rules for mutants. There isn't a FOC for Apocalypse so you could freely combine guard and CSM together.

I think the IG dex is realy good at representing traitors. For nastier stuff, IA6 will provide some of that. Once Apocalypse hits, throw a few units of CSM in there, and you'll be set.

Mr Feral
06-09-2007, 08:01
I purchased the IA5 book from FW and I must admit that the Renegades and Heretics list is what I've been waiting for, and from what I've heard its being expanded in IA6. Anyone got any info on this?

Captain Stuart
06-09-2007, 13:55
My regular LatD opponent is still using Codex: EoT.

He generally uses:
1-2 Leman Russes
0-1 Hellhounds
2 squads of mutants (one often has leaping)
1 squad of big mutants
1-2 squads of cultists led by a CSM AC - usually with a power fist
1 chimera
1 rhino

He recently built a malcador, but I'm not sure when I'll see that.

He also runs an Alpha Legion list and runs usually 2 squads of cultists in that. These are usually 10+ men with move thru cover or infiltrate.

Going forward, there is the IA5 and upcoming IA6 books. If you want a horde type army, I suggest sticking to the Guard list. If you want a more 'elite' army, look at the With Hunter and daemon hunter lists.

I am not familiar with the new Chaos Codex, but could you simply use 'beefed up' guard models to represent the new generic daemons? That would work for troops, but not sure about how you could pull a 'counts-as' for the other force org chart slots.