PDA

View Full Version : No New Chaos Dreadnought?

Deuce Blue
07-08-2007, 18:40
Like the title says, I have been waiting for a few years to see if GW is going to release a new plastic Chaos Dreadnought. I just got back from a deployment, and having read through all the new Apocalypse and Chaos threads, and also the GW stocking list, no where is a chaos plastic kit mentioned. I have no problem converting up my own, which is always fun, but just wanted to check here and make sure no Chaos Dred kits were being planned from GW before I make my own. Thanks!

Vaktathi
07-08-2007, 19:04
no new chaos dread planned. I guess they think the FW ones are filling that gap. (which are EXTREMELY nice, but expensive)

Adra
07-08-2007, 19:07
well they are a bit pap in the new rules anyway so....

Endemion
07-08-2007, 19:34
Indeed, they're pretty poor in the new codex, so when the NEXT new codex comes out expect new model, and a huge rules boost

AmKhaibitu
07-08-2007, 19:40
So in another 5 or 6 years when we get a new book we might get a new chaos dread? well I'm sure relieved, I thought we had a long time to wait to get a replacement for the 2nd ed. monstrosity.

Note I'm being somewhat sarcastic. Sure the new terminator lord kit is nice, but surely that slot should have fallen to the dread instead.

Dreachon
07-08-2007, 20:08
We can probaly expect a new chaos dred with one of the expansion codices.

BrainFireBob
07-08-2007, 20:14
The Forgeworld ones are superb.

BobTheZombie
07-08-2007, 20:16
The model is somewhat horrific, and I for one have never seen someone using one, so can't really see why they haven't replaced it. Let's hope its one of the staggered releases out next. I have a FW, but am awful with resin. But then I'm not much better with metal. Or plastic, come to that

Kaldaris
07-08-2007, 20:39
I'd prefer if they updated the Plague Marines and made them plastic. But yeah the FW Chaos Dreadnoughts are awesome, shame they are not on the citadel line.

Askari
07-08-2007, 21:25
The model is somewhat horrific, and I for one have never seen someone using one, so can't really see why they haven't replaced it. Let's hope its one of the staggered releases out next. I have a FW, but am awful with resin. But then I'm not much better with metal. Or plastic, come to that

I use the current one....

*cries at how incredibly horrible his own, beloved, Dreadnought looks*

Thankfully I got the sense to buy a Space Marine plastic one and convert it since.

Lornak Bloodgreed
07-08-2007, 21:43
I personnally think that the chaos dreadnaughts now are perfectly awful, and using an imperial space marine dreadnough with spikes and some converting would work much bettter, of course FW is nice too :) they are too expensive though, so it is up to you.

With the way chaos has been literally destroyed in the new codex, I dont imagine using an imperial dreadnought would be so wrong because chaos space marines ARE the next version of space marines, their is not chaos anymore, they reconverted, they just like their spikey armor and their wierd scars n such.

the1stpip
07-08-2007, 21:44
Just convert a plastic Dread, its so much more fun.

Sometimes, I feel that some people need to be spoon fed new models. I remember a time when there were no spawn or possessed models, as the idea was you used your imagination and converted them.

Personally I think the new models are crap anyway, and I shall continue to use my converted models (if I even play with the new army with the new codex)

Oh, and one day, we might get plastic Noise Marines. Now they are hard to convert without lots of money...

SamaNagol
07-08-2007, 21:50
They really needed to re-do A LOT more of the range for this codex release. It seems GW are happy just flinging out one or two plastic boxes with a new book though. It's laziness.

Lornak Bloodgreed
07-08-2007, 21:53
"Personally I think the new models are crap anyway, and I shall continue to use my converted models (if I even play with the new army with the new codex)"

Just for saying that, **** U **** ***** ******, GT*!!!!!

How can you say that, those possessed are awsome, those PLASTIC terminators are awsome, the new and much more convertable PLASTIC Lord is awsome, the new chaos/loyalist vindicator is awsome, the new chaos super heavy is ******* awsome, Huron's model is awsome...ugly, but awsome... I curse you! The only things that GW regretably left out is the Chaos Dreadnaught, and plastic demons, but that is ok, I am ok with the currant ones.

Duhgame
07-08-2007, 22:03
I can't beleive they aren't listing a plastic dreadnought yet! Maybe I'll hear something at LA Gamesday this week. If I do I'll be sure to post, maybe if nothing comes up they'll release it around the time the Demon Codex comes out. Here's hoping!

Thoth62
07-08-2007, 22:17
Or maybe they're just not doing one. Which is much more likely. There is nothing on the release schedule that was leaked on warseer a few weeks back, which for sure means nothing before Christmas. I have my doubts that they'll release one along side the new daemons that should be coming out for the daemon codex next year.

Don't get your hopes up.

SamaNagol
07-08-2007, 22:23
Perhaps they arent doing one because of how terribly the Venerable Dreadnought sold for them compared to the superb FW versions?

Providing all the possible weapon options in the box would probably require a large amount of sprues which might not be financially viable to them when they already offer the FW versions?

Thoth62
07-08-2007, 22:46
Why not just do a kit similar to the Loyalist one? That seems very simple, with some of the required weapons options. That arguement doesn't fly with me, particularily because I'm sure there are quite a few people who want a chaos dreadnaught but don't have the money for FW, and wouldn't be caught dead with the ugly hunk of metal that GW claims is a Chaos dread.

SamaNagol
07-08-2007, 22:58
The FW dread isn't much more expensive than the GW one you know.

dale
07-08-2007, 22:59
Not only that, but I have seen more people use a Defiler over a dread. Maybe that could be another to the many reasons of not making a plastic Chaos dread.......?

Panic
08-08-2007, 09:18
I have 3 Dreadnoughts in my Word Bearers army and I only use 1.
And that is the Forgeworld model. I love the FW D'noughts.
The other 2 are; The full-metal Chaos Dread, Converted Loyalisy D'nought.
Converting was easy and fun and I regret buying the Metal Chaos Dread.
I'm thinking of doing a conversion (yes another dreadnought) using the Venerable Dreadnought.
Kinda disappointed to see no plastic chaos dread though...

AmKhaibitu
08-08-2007, 11:46
Due to the pricing and such, after I've moved house I think I might be getting a pre-paid visa card and thus ordering a forgeworld one. Mind you I won't be getting any sonic weaponry for it, seeing as those are useless in the new dex.

Jo Bennett
08-08-2007, 12:17
Am I the only person who quite likes the current chaos dread?

Panic
08-08-2007, 12:19
Most likely yes.
I can't stand it...
*Looks at Metal dread*
:cries:

AmKhaibitu
08-08-2007, 12:22

It's like the metal possessed, I actually met people that liked them, but they were the minority.

But unless that metal hunk of junk comes with a base then it's technically not quite legal as it's a walker and thus requires a base.

Randy
08-08-2007, 12:31
Or maybe it'sa prompt they've taken notice of to make the defiler moreexpensive relative to the dread to blaance it off :P Obviously if everyone is taking defilers instead it means defilers are a better deal at what people want =o

the1stpip
08-08-2007, 12:33
"Personally I think the new models are crap anyway, and I shall continue to use my converted models (if I even play with the new army with the new codex)"

Just for saying that, **** U **** ***** ******, GT*!!!!!

Sorry, I actually meant just the Spawn and Possessed. The Possessed are better than the metal ones, but they are still well short of what I would expect from GW these days.

Dark messiah
08-08-2007, 12:37
jo bennet, you are not alone,
has anyone actualy given a reason why they think it looks crap!
i rather actualy like the old psycopath.

Killgore
08-08-2007, 12:52
I'm very fond of my Metal Chaos Dreadnought, one or two claws on the power scourge he has may have been snapped off, his PlasmaCannon still looks dreadly and if an opponunt annoys me anouth the dread weighs anouth so if i drop it on his toes it will cause some damage! its a true warmachine of chaos bwahaha

Maxis Lithium
08-08-2007, 13:00
I like the power scorge arm, and the feet. I like useing the feet in conversions. But, beyond these two parts, I am not fond of the metal dread. It's small, combersum, heavy and looks too boxy and busy. The SM one had less kibble and more dynamic feel to it. I have converted two Chaos dreads useing them, though I doubt I will field them often given the new friendly fire rules.

L192837465
08-08-2007, 15:38
sadly, theres no reason to take em anymore. they are incredibly overpriced at 90 points base, and after upgrades are more points than a defiler, who can have 5 attacks at ws3 and fleet of claw. for cheaper.

i loved my old dread. that thing felt like a killing machine because of the wieght. i recently got a FW dread and am painting it, and i must say.... its sex. it is resin sex.

Thoth62
08-08-2007, 15:54
I agree completely. Having spent the money, I don't really want to not use it, but the way the rules are shaping up, I almost might just do that. It makes me very sad.

Huw_Dawson
08-08-2007, 16:01
I expect GW are simply aware of the fact that one can make a chaos dreadnought with a standard SM one and those Chaos Vehicle Upgrade Sprues, same as the tanks.

- Huw

explorator
08-08-2007, 16:09
I convered a plastic one using both FW DCCW arms. Affordable and he looks the part. I will try using him in the new codex. If he fire frenzies it will mot be a big deal to get hit w/2 stormbolters. I was hoping his points would drop though.

Ddraiglais
11-08-2007, 09:45
I wouldn't be surprised if we started seeing more dreads now that they've been moved to elites.

I for one will not use them. I hate unpredictable units that may fire on my own troops. I won't use possessed either because of their unpredictability. Sadly, that leaves only termies for an elites choice.

I don't think the model is that bad. It's nowhere near as nice as the FW one, but I would field them if they had decent rules.

Qwerp64
11-08-2007, 09:57
Hehe i still use my old metal one with a plasma cannon on him. sheesh he's one of my oldest models I have, yet he's prbably my first decent paintjob too.

Well if I ever deside to use a dreadnought again I'll just convert a sm plastic one. Should work out nice enough anyhow.

Traitor Legions
11-08-2007, 10:03
Forge World have great dreadnought models and with green stuff converions in my opinion there no need the really.

Penmarch'
11-08-2007, 10:08
Alas, with the new codex Dreadnoughts have become more of a liabilty than an asset. Heavily overpriced compared to some other options. Too bad there aren't all that many options left.
Sincerely hopes that GW gets its act together soon as they are losing customers by the dozen now.

the1stpip
11-08-2007, 22:22
It really does look like a good time to finally jump ship and say 'enough is enough'.

We could get by with the silly prices for models thanks to ebay, but the rules are getting worse. I was planning a couple more 40k armies, but I don't know if I will bother...

redbaron998
11-08-2007, 22:37
Yes this is another case of:

1. Gws extreme lazyness (much more likely)

2. JJs plan to move away from a single big splash release upon book renew and space it out more

Besides look at High Elves, not a single new core choice....its sad really...really

Lord Inquisitor
11-08-2007, 22:39
sadly, theres no reason to take em anymore. they are incredibly overpriced at 90 points base, and after upgrades are more points than a defiler, who can have 5 attacks at ws3 and fleet of claw. for cheaper.
Well, I wasn't using Dreads in the old codex because they were too unpredictable for my liking.

The saving grace for the new Dreads might well be the fact that they're Elites choices - allowing you to take them AND defilers. Mmmm.

Merceus
11-08-2007, 23:06
I quite like the metal bugger too... not too fond of his combat arms, the power scourge could look much cooler... but everything else is fine...

People often complain that the CSM models are just loyalists with spikes... they arent! But a loyalist dread converted to be chaos is! it is! it is! it is!

I think my own dread using that technique is okay... but lacking in the chaos department... the only reason I got it instead of the metal one was that I was god awful with metal models at the time!

Here's to a plastic chaos dread based off the current metal one :evilgrin: