PDA

View Full Version : A sculpting log

nurgle_boy
07-08-2007, 21:00
Ok, at first glances, the title I have given is very vague. A little like this log in all respects. I want to use this log for an I.S.P (incoherent sculpting project).

It has been a good year or so since I was sculpting miniatures from scratch, and they were a bit rough to say the least, and I want to improve. Techniques I want to trial include faces, inorganic materials, using armatures correctly, and sculpting materials. I may also do tutorials if there is a demand (i guess the demand depends on how the sculpting looks eh?)

The incoherent part however, is that I am taking a break from doing useful models in this log, and simply sculpting whatever comes to mind, with each sculpt having little or no connection with the one I do after.

My first challenge I have set myself is fairly simple, and that is an Empire Halfing Captain. The majority of this model I plan to be puffy pantaloons, and a cloak.
The model will include some challenges however. Sculpting a metal breastplate will be a challenge (inorganic material), and the face (needs to be podgy, and slightly less human-like.
The upsides, however, outwieigh any doubts I have about my sculpting ability, as I get to sculpt a codpiece:D!

I have made a start already, and I shall post some pictures later this evening hopefully (after much squallbing with my sister over using her camera, bluetooth adapter, and laptop. If all Else fails I may resort to a scan...)

As I type, I have a basic head shape on a paperclip ready to be worked on, and most of the lower half of a halfling curing at the moment.

anyway, please enjoy this log, and hopefully i should improve as I go, and enjoy myself as I go!

thanks, NB

Crube
07-08-2007, 21:58
Looking forward to the Halfling, although slightly concerned about the codpiece...

I saw some of your other stuff, and this should be quite educational - I'm in a place with sculpting that I can just about manage to fill in gaps wth GS and add som ewextra hair etc, so I follow as many of hese logs as I can to get whatever I can out of them, and learn what I can

GO NB :D

Suicide Messiah
07-08-2007, 22:21
Use brown stuff for the breastplate. It files really nicely so you can easily get a good tight finish.

Crube
07-08-2007, 22:43
Brownstuff???? Qu'est ce que c'est?

Any brand name you could throwout....?

Punk_in_Drublic
07-08-2007, 22:53
Yeah - I've gathered that brownstuff is harder than greenstuff, and lends itself well to armour sculpting. Anyone know where I can get this?

Sorry for shanghai-ing your log here, nurgle boy, but the public needs to know!

Later,

-Punk

Nexus
07-08-2007, 23:53
Brown stuff is made by the same people as green stuff, i.e. polymeric systems. I know you can get BS from andy, and I think you can get it from sylmasta, GF9 and ebob. It cures harder than GS, but is less flexible when cured. I like it a lot for general sculpting, but the properties I like are somewhat overshadowed by the unhelpful colouration.

You shouldn't really need BS for the chestplate, it's most useful for stuff that can be worked on separately, so generally weapons. The important part will be getting the surface smooth, which wouldn't be helped with use of BS anyway. Sharp edges can be made by working the GS through its curing time, to combat the memory.

nurgle_boy
08-08-2007, 00:05
wow, fast replies!

Firstly, Sister Nurgle is being an ass (PMT anyone?) so I cannot get use of the laptop this evening, so no photo's yet I'm afraid.

as for materials, no, I am not using brownstuff (I will most likely use plasticard for weapons), but Green stuff, and Pro-Create.

Pro-create seems to hold an edge quite nicely, and can be mixed in different proportions with greater effects to the finished product than green stuff gives. I used a light mix for the breastplate (harder edges, faster curing time, properties similar to that of green stuff), and a darker mix for the fabric of the pantaloons (greater working time, more malleable, overall similar to a mix of greenstuff and very smooth miliput).

I have to say, I would recommend Pro-Create to anyone who intends to do more with their greenstuff that filling gaps. It seems to have properties similar to most sculpting mediums, depending on the mix. It smooths as easily as milliput (at least very wet milliput), or an oven-bake putty, whilst being able to hold edges, and retaining the elasticity of greenstuff. I must say, As it is my first time using the stuff, I am very impressed! can you tell by my small lecture on it?:D
At the moment the only real struggle is being the head and face. I guess when I work on it some more in the morning I can make it look a little better... I think the addition of a proper chin might help :D

anyway, thanks for the input, and I promise that updates with pictures will come somepoint soon! NB.

EDIT: also, pro-create mixes with greenstuff, and is a grey colour on its own, in varying shades depending on the mix...

Aflo
08-08-2007, 00:14
can you tell by my small lecture on it?:D

Just about ;) Where do you get this wonder-putty from - it sounds awesome!?

nurgle_boy
08-08-2007, 00:18
Just about ;) Where do you get this wonder-putty from - it sounds awesome!?

a lot of places seem to stock it now, but I got mine from black cat bases (cant remember the URL, if in doubt, google!)
6.50 for about the same amount as one would get spending 6-8 on green.

well worth it!

Aflo
08-08-2007, 00:50
Nice - I may well pick some of this up myself. On the topic of sculpting, what do you have in mind for your poofy pantalons? I've just started a mordheim marienburg warband with the old landsknecht style to the uniforms that I'm sculpting onto the empire soldier minis.