PDA

View Full Version : First game with my Dwarfs.

stonehorse
07-08-2007, 21:29
I've got a 1,000pts game on Saturday against a High Elf army.

Here is what I'm thinking of taking.

Thane, Shield, Oathstone, Rune of Stone, Rune of Fury, Rune of Cleaving. Total 137pts.

Runesmith, Shield, Master Rune of Balance. Total 122pts.

19 Warriors, Shield, full command Group. Total 196pts.

19 Warriors, Shield, full command Group. Total 196pts.

10 Thunderers. Total 140pts.

8 Miners. total 88pts.

Organ Gun. 120pts

Total 999pts

From seeing the Elf player I can guess he will feild the following.

Mounted wizard second level, Big unit Swordmasters, Big unit of Silverhelms, Small unit of archers, 2 Giant Eagles.

Quite looking forward to paying back some Elves for their past wrong doings to the Dwarves.

Lord of Pestilence
08-08-2007, 01:36
:skull:well ur list is good but the thing is w/ more thunderers u can kill at range as ur slow foot-slogging men get into combat (eventually)....just think that over after the game..work out the kinks..but other than that...its great that u have that many warriors..i played against elfs not long ago w/ my dwarfs for 1000pts and i found it good to use 2 cannons and 2x units of thunderers to mow down silverhelms w/ ease b4 my warriors closed in for close ranged slaughtering..also those handguns can kill! i slayed his mages w/ blackpowder fury!..um good luck...let me know the outcome and we can talk bout dwarfs!;)

Spoonie
08-08-2007, 01:52
Looks good. Only thing I'd mention is the miners won't really have anything to do other than be a flanking unit unless your opponent decides to bring bolt throwers or gets too close to the board edge. He's too fast for them to try and catch up.

GreenSpeed
08-08-2007, 03:14
I agree with snoopie, id get rid of the unit of miners for additional ranged attackers, maybe a bolt thrower or two. either two basic ones or one runed up one with an engineer and a rune of seeking (to take out flyers).

Also consider taking great weapons on the characters if you can manage the points, the extra 2 strength will help, youll be striking last anyways.

but looks simular to the type of list i would field.

marneus54
08-08-2007, 04:12
I agree with snoopie, id get rid of the unit of miners for additional ranged attackers, maybe a bolt thrower or two. either two basic ones or one runed up one with an engineer and a rune of seeking (to take out flyers).

Also consider taking great weapons on the characters if you can manage the points, the extra 2 strength will help, youll be striking last anyways.

but looks simular to the type of list i would field.

Yeah must say that miners dont do much of aynthing in small battles. They appear and have nothing to attack as it all has moved on. 2 basic bolt throwers will do massive damage in a small point battle.

Putty
08-08-2007, 04:47
:skull:well ur list is good but the thing is w/ more thunderers u can kill at range as ur slow foot-slogging men get into combat (eventually)....just think that over after the game..work out the kinks..but other than that...its great that u have that many warriors..i played against elfs not long ago w/ my dwarfs for 1000pts and i found it good to use 2 cannons and 2x units of thunderers to mow down silverhelms w/ ease b4 my warriors closed in for close ranged slaughtering..also those handguns can kill! i slayed his mages w/ blackpowder fury!..um good luck...let me know the outcome and we can talk bout dwarfs!;)

I concur, the main reason why I only marginally lost or draw against a pal of mine who plays dwarves is because he only takes one warmachine (the cannon). At 1000 points, I highly recommend at least 2 warmachines (cannon , organ or organ, organ or cannon, cannon) Dwarven warmachines almost ensures kills per turn, just remember to kit them out with the right runes!

One more unit of Thunderers also ensure both flanks will be covered (along with warmachines)

Yes I know such a list borders on a gunline but honestly, it's a tad bit better than slogging your dwarves across the battlefield, knowing that the Silverhelms and Eagles will hit you around turn 2.

Spoonie
08-08-2007, 05:31
I agree with snoopie

Bah!!

Anyways, I think a bolt thrower or cannon would be a suitable replacement, and also shields on your thunderers might help, as they're a pretty obvious target.

forthegloryofkazadekrund
08-08-2007, 08:43
i think the last time i played 1,000 pts using my dwarfs i used

hero (depends on opponent)
20 clansmen - hvy armour shield, fc x2
large unit of missile troops (around 20 strong, mine are xboxmen)
2 organ guns

stonehorse
08-08-2007, 12:52
Thanks for all the advise guys.

I may drop the Miners for more Thunderers I could buy 6 more giving me a unit of 16, which at long range will get about 8 hits of which 6 should wound Elves. If firing against Silver Helms 2 should fail their saves, where as the Swordmasters won't get a save so that would mean 6 dead... guess they'll be my target for the Thunderers.

I could see about dropping some Warriors from each unit to buy 4 more Thunderers thus giving me 2 units of 10... looks like the start of a Gunline.

As for the Organ guns I prefer their relability over the Cannons, also as they are a rare choice I'm only allowed to take 1, wish they were 2 for 1 rare choice.

GreenSpeed
08-08-2007, 13:01
The organ gun is definatly a keeper, provided it doesnt misfire on turn one, (This has happened to me) it will do insane amounts of damage.

rexim
08-08-2007, 13:12
in 1000 points i think that u should get cheap carachters, my choise would have been:
1 thane, Ro stone,Gw
1 runesmith, Ro "dispell scroll", Ro stone, GW
if u kit them like that and drop the miners u get enough points to get 10 thundernears more, and give them all shield

Lloardinen
08-08-2007, 14:08
I would have swapped the Organ Gun for a cannon, and some of the warriors for some more shooting power...otherwise it looks nice

GreenSpeed
08-08-2007, 20:27
I think the organ gun is a better investment then a cannon, its much better at taking out rank and file and is more reliable in terms of hitting the target. I feel cannons are better suited to kill heavy stuff.

thewrathchilde
11-08-2007, 03:37
Here is an option for you, this is my standard 1,000 point list:

1 x Thane: General; Gromril Armor,Shield, Great Weapon, R of Stone; Total: 76 Pts
19 x Warriors: Heavy Armor, Shield, Standard, Musician; Total: 186 Pts
20 x Warriors: Heavy Armor, Shield, Standard, Musician; Total: 195 Pts
10 x Thunderers: Shield; Total: 150 Pts
10 x Quarrellers: Shield; Total: 120 Pts
1 x Bolt Thrower: Engineer; R of Penetrating; Total: 85 Pts
1 x Bolt Thrower: Engineer; R of Burning; Total: 65 Pts
1 x Organ Gun; Total: 120 Pts

Dispel Pool: 4
Models in Army: 74
Total Army Cost: 997

usually at 1,000 pts the 4 DD you get base are going to be enough. This army gives you some solid hth units as well as a really good support shooting contingent that can also double as flank charges and combat suppot units. Generally the cannon isn't going to do a whole lot more fore you in a game against HE than the BT is especially at this level. Take the BT instead w/ str 7 to auto-kill chariots, take the second BT with burning (for magic and flaming attacks in an all-comers environment) and round out with the OG for utility.

WC

Nathangonmad
11-08-2007, 22:53
Hello stonehorse I think i watched that battle! Was that high elf player quite oldish and his silver helms moved through terrain! Was it at the GW in leads? If it was HI!

stonehorse
12-08-2007, 10:49
Sorry about the late reply.

I managed to have 2 games, I made one small change to my original list. I didn't have a spare shield to give to my Rune Smith.

The first was against a Skaven army, which was lend by 2 heavily kittd out Warlock Engineers, who were dubiously armed with a vast array of Magic items. My 2 blocks of Dwarf Warriors did more damage then the Thunderers and Organ Gun combined, It got to the last turn and it was a strong win in my favour, then we (we being the staff and me) found out that the kid didn't have an army list. So it was deemed a solid victory for the Dwarfs. Higfhlight was when Rat Swarms and Plague Monks ran into a unit of Dwarfs who just put down the Oath Stone and laughed as the Ratkind bounced off our shields.

Second game was against the High Elf player.

His army was different to what I thought he would have taken.

Instead of 2 Giant Eagles, he had a Repeater Bolt Thrower and a Chariot. The rest was pretty much the same.

I won first turn, but gave it to him as everything in my army was out of range. He managed to cast Flames of thre Phoenix on my Warrior unit with the Thane, I failed the dispell by 1. The fire managed to kill 5 Dwarfs. My turn wasn't that effective as must things were out of range/line of sight. The Flames of the Phoenix then killed a whopping 7 Dwafs (Bad dice rolls on my behalf and good rolls on my opponents behalf). The Third turn saw a chariot and Silver Helms charge into my Dwarf Warriors with the Thane (The chariot got a flank, so the Oath stone was dropped). The charge killed 2, while the Thane killed 1 in return. The Dwarfs lost combat, but just laughed it off with talk of how Elves where a lot taller backwhen they where younger. The miners who had appeared earlier charged the the Silver helms in the rear, but didn't kill a single Silver Helm, but the Elves didn't kill a single Dwarf... their horses killed one (never trust horses), The Thane again put hammer to mouth on one of the Silver Helms. The end result was the Elves fledd from combat. The Chariot ran into the Thunderers killing 3 before it was destroyed, while the Miners failed to catch the Silver Helms. They where then gunned down by the Organ Gun, which they had ran infront off.

All the while a Rune Smith and his warriors where busy beating up a unit of Sword masters, several times as they kept running away. End result was that they fled 2" so where ran down by the vertically challenged.

The 7 Remaing Thunderers fired at the creeping 10 Archers and blow 5 of them away, not bad shooting.

With only a wounded mage (never trust magic, miss casts can be bad), Bolt thrower, and 5 Archers left it was a solid win for the Dwarfs thanks in no small part to the work of the Oath stone, his combined charge was on my flank and if it had of broken through would have resulted in destroying my entire battle line.

So 2 Grudges righted, at this rate my Clans book of Grudges will be gone... guess we'll have to start making up Grudges.

@Nathangonmad, Yes it was me you saw. The Silver Helms had a magic Banner which allowed them to walk through terrain.

Nathangonmad
12-08-2007, 23:46
lol cool! Want a game vs my orcs? :D Around a 1000points :D Btw I'll be in Thursday and Saturday if yours in on either on those days. To spot me i'm the fat guy with curly hair and glasses (true story) XD